The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
What the hell? (Schwarzenegger's haircut for the movie "Ten")

So Arnie has been filming a new movie the last couple of months in which he plays a member of a team of ATF agents. Here is a pic of him looking suitably badass and with a suitably conservative looking haircut.

Here's another shot of the haircut as he's off duty and getting in his car.

But now here's a side view!

As I asked before, what the hell is up with that? Do ATF agents really wear their hair like that, cut on top like a 1960s FBI agent and on bottom like someone put a bowl over their head and sheared them down to the skin?

And what possible purpose does it serve if so?

I'm flummoxed!

You've got to give the guy credit for balls though. He's been out and around L.A. for a couple of months now, going shopping and to restaurants and bicycling and otherwise living his life all while sporting that hideous do and the tats that go with it. I can't help but note however that his usual retinue of buddies and children who often accompany him on these forays seem to be suspiciously missing from sight these days.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 PM
campp campp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
He looks a bit like Moe.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 PM
DMark DMark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Gee - do you think there was any hair coloring used?
'Cause of course, most guys his age most certainly do have jet black hair, darker than any hair in South America or Africa...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM
hogarth hogarth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I've seen old guys with a mushroom haircut like that. It's definitely not flattering, though!

There's also an old Chinese guy who works in my building whose hair is very similar, although it's obvious in his case that the top bit is a toupee (jet black, which doesn't match the grey stubble on the back of his neck...).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Arnie never cut his hair for all those blockbusters in the 80's and 90's. He always had basically the same hair in every movie.

Either he's more dedicated as an actor, or his star power isn't what it used to be. He really made himself butt ugly for this new role. I bet it was a requirement to get the part. Arnie can't force the issue like he could have in 1990.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-05-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I don't know, Arnold seems to be in pretty heavy demand. I think he did something like four movies in the first year he was out of office.

He's is not quite the prima donna some people might imagine. (I've always been a fan and so have probably followed him more closely than the average bear.) He's always taken advantage of the way his body responds to diet and training to alter his physique to suit the roles he's playing, and he's on record saying of directors that they can scream at him and make him work sixteen-hour days or whatever it takes, as long as what ends up on screen is perfect. He's also said he feels that once a director has been chosen it's best to go with that director's vision even if he personally disagrees with it.

But I digress. Schwarzenegger has changed his hair at least three times for his recent movies (actually, the directors have probably been more responsible for that than Arnold). To wit:

This is his usual haircut.

But for his recent role as an aging sheriff in The Last Stand, he wore a look that was spiky on top, longer in back.

And for his role in The Tomb, he sports his more normal haircut only colored gray and with a goatee.

So I think he's just out there having fun and working his butt off and going with whatever look the director has determined is appropriate for the role. I'm just mystified as to why the director or makeup person or whoever would think this particular haircut is appropriate for this role. I've just never seen it on anyone anywhere and can't imagine what purpose it serves.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Willcross Willcross is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
http://www.bestgeekblogever.com/mjty...-blade-review/

First thing I thought of was Slingblade.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 19,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Arnie never cut his hair for all those blockbusters in the 80's and 90's. He always had basically the same hair in every movie.
And it began halfway through the first Terminator.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 AM
bienville bienville is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Here is a pic of him looking suitably badass and with a suitably conservative looking haircut.

Here's another shot of the haircut as he's off duty and getting in his car.

But now here's a side view!
It's a bad haircut, but I can imagine it being character appropriate.

It's the kind of style that older conservative* fashion-challenged men choose.
(*small "c" conservative as in "older guy stuck in his ways", no implication of political leaning)

You have older men who don't want to fuss with their hair. They don't want the feel of it on their ears or neck, and they don't want to need a haircut every week, so they instruct "shave off the sides and the neck". It is possible for a skilled hairstylist to shave the top of the neck and above the ears and then provide a stylish gradual progression to the fuller head of hair on top- but this would require fuss.

These guys don't go to hip hairstylists in New York or L.A., they go to small town barbers- barbers who are as old as they are, barbers who have for decades coiffed conservative men who don't want any "fuss". These old small town barbers have built their reputation upon providing a service of function, not form. The hair just needs to be cut. Anything more attentive would be fruity.

Or worse . . . instead of going to one of these old small town barbers, these men instead get their hair cut in their own kitchens sheared by the good lady wife.

And this is the hairstyle they end up with.

It actually can look "not too bad" under precise circumstances. Sitting in the chair at the conclusion of the haircut, with the hair damp from a bit of whatever old barbers put on the hair of old men, it will look fine. Once it gets mussed though, or once it starts to grow out a little, the longer hair lifts away from the head a bit and you get that comical effect that the OP draws attention to in the third pic.


I credit a professional film hair stylist for allowing a bad haircut when it is character appropriate. There must be great temptation, especially working with a star and especially working on a big budget Hollywood movie, to make all the actors look good. It takes a true professional to own the fact that the character would maybe not style himself with any great skill.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-2012, 04:49 AM
RobDog RobDog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Forrest?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 AM
JKilez JKilez is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Forrest?
Along those lines, does anyone else think that Arnie is starting to morph into Tom Hanks?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Eyebrows 0f Doom Eyebrows 0f Doom is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
Along those lines, does anyone else think that Arnie is starting to morph into Tom Hanks?
If no one told me otherwise, I would have thought the 2nd pic was Tom Hanks!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Mann Slaughter Mann Slaughter is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
If no one told me otherwise, I would have thought the 2nd pic was Tom Hanks!
I thought that was Mitt Romney!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post
It's a bad haircut, but I can imagine it being character appropriate.

It's the kind of style that older conservative* fashion-challenged men choose.
(*small "c" conservative as in "older guy stuck in his ways", no implication of political leaning)

You have older men who don't want to fuss with their hair. They don't want the feel of it on their ears or neck, and they don't want to need a haircut every week, so they instruct "shave off the sides and the neck". It is possible for a skilled hairstylist to shave the top of the neck and above the ears and then provide a stylish gradual progression to the fuller head of hair on top- but this would require fuss.

These guys don't go to hip hairstylists in New York or L.A., they go to small town barbers- barbers who are as old as they are, barbers who have for decades coiffed conservative men who don't want any "fuss". These old small town barbers have built their reputation upon providing a service of function, not form. The hair just needs to be cut. Anything more attentive would be fruity.

Or worse . . . instead of going to one of these old small town barbers, these men instead get their hair cut in their own kitchens sheared by the good lady wife.

And this is the hairstyle they end up with.

It actually can look "not too bad" under precise circumstances. Sitting in the chair at the conclusion of the haircut, with the hair damp from a bit of whatever old barbers put on the hair of old men, it will look fine. Once it gets mussed though, or once it starts to grow out a little, the longer hair lifts away from the head a bit and you get that comical effect that the OP draws attention to in the third pic.


I credit a professional film hair stylist for allowing a bad haircut when it is character appropriate. There must be great temptation, especially working with a star and especially working on a big budget Hollywood movie, to make all the actors look good. It takes a true professional to own the fact that the character would maybe not style himself with any great skill.
Interesting post, thanks. Maybe that's it. I've never seen old guys with a haircut like that but apparently a couple of you guys have. Talk about putting comfort ahead of looks, that's just...wow, I can't even imagine not giving that much of a shit!

I guess some do though.

And now I guess I'm going to have to go watch that movie just to find out why he's wearing his hair like that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I'm not usually too big on over-the-top action movies but for some reason I'm drawn to The Last Stand. I'm actually looking forward to its release next month. Probably because it seems to have quite a bit of humor:

Deputy holds up [what I think is Conan's] sword as bad guys head to town: "You never know..."

Arnold crashes through door, lands hard on floor.

Shopkeeper: "How are ya, sheriff?

Arnold, rising with difficulty: "OoLde!"

Here's the trailer for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc0x-jiewTE
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Irishman Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
As I asked before, what the hell is up with that? Do ATF agents really wear their hair like that, cut on top like a 1960s FBI agent and on bottom like someone put a bowl over their head and sheared them down to the skin?
I don't think there's anything that requires ATF agents or old men to wear their hair that way, but I've seen similar bad results. It looks like a cross between a 50's FBI agent on top and a military buzz around the ears and neck. Not blended.

bienville gives a good explanation.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.