The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynda View Post
Loved the group version of Rhythm of Love. IMHO, best group song of the season.

I am glad Dez was voted off. I didn't particularly like his voice and I hate mean girl Christina.
Agreed with all of it. I really liked that group song.

I've also been hoping for Dez to be voted off, but tonight I realized that had more to do with not wanting Christina to win. I'm wondering how many other people felt that way.

I've also been wondering why any of the contestants would pick Christina if they had the choice of anyone else. If you're really good, she'll get rid of you. I knew she would eliminate the Disney girl, although at least in that case, the competition was comparable. Too bad Christina is the only one who picked her and no one had saves left by the time she eliminated her. And as someone mentioned above, Christina takes all the air time in team songs that the other coaches give to their team members. Christina keeps saying how she would love to coach Trevin, but I keep thinking that if Trevin were on Christina's team, she would have already cut him.

For the remaining 6, I like Trevin and Amanda. The difficulty with Trevin is that he's so consistently good, it just looks so easy for him. It doesn't look like a challenge or a breakout moment. Amanda has been up and down, but more up than down. I wanted to like their group song tonight more than I did.
Advertisements  
Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 AM

So there I am, still smiling from Rhythm of Love, high on life from Cee Lo and Muppets, when... Cody!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Stoopid America.

Dez was the right choice, but other than him I think either Cassadee or Melanie should have gone. I actually like Melanie way more than I expected to and think she has potential, but on the Lyndsey Paveo to Dia Frampton scale, she needs a couplefew years to reach Dia. As for Cassadee, well... we all make fun of the Christinalikes, but is the world screaming for another Avril?

Failing that, Terry should have gone. I like him and I think he's better than his last few performances indicate, but he's been carried too far on the wave of goodwill from the first couple (and of course, a sweet accent and awesome Lego hair).

I personally prefer Cody to Trevin, but wouldn't actually wish for Trevin to go home. Oh well, at least Nicholas is still there.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Color me pleasantly surprised that Dez was sent packing, but that is offset and more by the disappointment that Cody went home. Cody's performance was tops and he shouldn't have been let go. Whereas they said that Terry's song went to the top of the iTune rock chart, and I'm "What?" Did they hear the same performance I did?

I like Cassadee and her song choices.

Really, everyone in this final 8 seems good enough to me to pull a record deal. Even Dez, whom I despise his style, is firmly good enough to play in the Michael Bubble (It's Bubble, dammit, I refuse to say it differently) field.

Terry's the one who seems to be struggling the hardest to me.

It's ironic to me that Melanie is the youngest competitor, since she strikes me as the most complete artist. She knows who she is and what she wants to do and how to make things hers. That "signature style" being lauded all over Bryan Keith really applies to Melanie. Her vocal ability isn't that great, but neither was Madonna's when she started. Melanie's style isn't about technical range and precision, it's about the character of her voice. The things she's getting from Adam are far more about how to focus her emotion and how to tweak her vocal performance rather than anything to do with shaping the direction she is going.

Even with Trevin's great technical ability and voice, I'm getting less thrilled with him as this goes along. Style choices? Don't know why, just wasn't as thrilled with his performances as others.

Cody is a performer, he's got great range, and he is energetic and fun. I hope things work out for him. I really do see him like George Michael.

Amanda and Cassadee are my two top faves left.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 PM

I am totally in the bag for Amanda. She rocks it and she has great stage prescence, too. But to be honest I actually like everybody left except maybe Trevin, not because he can't sing, but he bores me.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I don't get the love for Terry. He's got a high voice and can find his pitch relatively well, but he's got no stage presence and his renditions of songs are boring and formulaic. I don't see him as an artist so much as a really good karaoke singer.

I feel pretty much the same way about Trevin - he's got a great range and he has awesome control over his voice, but to no real purpose. There hasn't been a performance of his yet that I felt rose to the level of 'artist' as opposed to really good singer following a formula.

What I've come to realize over the years is that great singers are a dime a dozen. Go to any music school and you'll find many. My kid competes in music festivals, and each year we hear many singers that are as good as most that are on these shows, in terms of raw singing ability. It's just not a rare thing.

So I'm always looking for the ones who are real artists with something to say, something new they bring to the table. It can be attitude, stage presence, charisma, song interpretation, emotion, whatever. Something that makes them more than just a singer.

This year, there have been lots of great singers. But the real 'artists' left on the show boil down to Melanie and Nicholas David. Amanda and Cassadee have had their moments too. Those are my four favorites left. Right now, I'm rooting for Melanie because I think she's probably got the most to say - especially after she gets beat up a bit by the industry.

Of those already booted off, I thought Deb'orah was unique and brought something new to the game, and I wish she had stuck around a bit more. Cody was the other person who was more than just a 'singer'.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Glad we got rid of Dez... and I really think Terry should have gone instead of Cody, but what can you do. I'm rooting for the two ladies on Team Adam at this point, with a little bit of side love for Nicholas. Trevin has really soured on me as he keeps coming out with performances every week that are just boring, Cassadee is doing really well but isn't exactly pushing herself every time she does another Avril genre song, and I haven't been impressed by a Terry performance for weeks now.

On the other hand, my fiancee insists on calling Terry "the hobbit", and I do continue to enjoy that.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 PM

He does have a hobbit-y face and hair, doesn't he? It always shocks me to see how tall he is. Standing next to Blake, he doesn't look short, so he has to be over average height.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 PM

I think I have to award tonight to Amanda. Both her performances were excellent. She had two very different songs, and did them both well.

Cassadee also had a good night.

As commented, Melanie was a bit flat on her first song in places, but it was still an entertaining performance. Her second was better, and was fun. I'm starting to like her a lot.

Trevin's first performance had me a bit meh, but his second was vocally amazing, the Trevin Hunte we expect. So he's got a mixed ticket.

Same thing for Nicholas David. His first left me "meh, I'm over him". But his rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" was very different and he was on pitch. He still had slight tempo issues, but not enough to kill the performance. Nicely done.

Terry also had spotty performances. Question: am I high? Because once again they are lauding Terry's "laser perfect" pitch, but it sounds off to me. Every time he hit "I wanna know what love is", the is just sounded wrong. Kinda dead. Flat, off key, wrong note - something. Which is a shame, because I love the song, and the soft performance was a nice way to take it, but they were right, there was nowhere to hide. Except they apparently had earmuffs on or something. Terry's second performance was better, and more fun, but it was Rod Stewart's "Stay With Me", which I don't care for. Oh well.

I don't know who is going to be voted off. Melanie seems to have a following, she's been charting high. Sounds like the three ladies all charted on Billboard last week.

I'd vote off Nicholas and Terry - Nicholas for his style and Terry because he just keeps being off, not living up to the promise. Then probably Melanie and Trevin: while Melanie is a complete artist and can probably have a good career, her voice is just off enough and not up to par with Amanda and Cassadee. While Trevin has a superb vocal talent, he doesn't win my attention on style. For the final winner, I'm leaning toward Amanda as my pick. Cassadee is certainly good and I'd listen to her music, but I think Amanda has just a little more original flair.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I thought that Amanda's two performances were the two best of the night, and purely based on talent and performance, she should be the odds on favorite at this point. I am not, however, particularly representative of the normal voting demographic of these shows, so who knows.

Cassadee and Trevin are fairly similar in my mind, in that I really like what both of them can do, but I'm continually underwhelmed by what they're actually singing. Of those two, I actually liked what Trevin did last night a bit better, largely because Cee Lo's song choice was suitably off the wall. I could see either of these two winning, but they'd have to really knock it out of the park over the last couple of weeks, in a way that I don't really expect them to given what they've been doing recently.

Melanie was a mixed bag. I thought her first song was the most fun three minutes of the night, non-Amanda-Brown division, even though (as pretty much everyone agrees) she wasn't quite there on a lot of the notes. I didn't like the second one as much, but it was a better performance, and on the whole I'd put her on the borderline but through.

Nicholas really disappointed me last night; I especially disliked his first performance. In past weeks he's been so good that it makes me forget how musically limited he seems to be, and he didn't get there last night.

Speaking of musically limited, hi, Terry! I thought his first performance was the worst of the night; I am entirely with you, Irishman, on how completely off many of his notes sounded. I was really excited when I heard the song choice, and really disappointed after the performance. I am a big classic and '80s rock fan in Real Life Music, and I have no idea how he keeps hitting big on the iTunes charts week after week. No. Idea.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I quite liked Terry's second song - both because it's a great song and also because I thought he finally turned in a performance that equaled the praise that's been heaped on him. But for me it wasn't enough to keep him around against this level of competition.

Trevin is a difficult one. That version of "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" was quite spectacular. He's definitely got a vocal gift. But there's something about his deliveries that just leave me cold, and his first song was one of the worst trainwrecks on the show to date.

Amanda turned in a solid first performance, and a fantastic second performance. I love how hard she's willing to rock - it puts her in a different category than the myriad 'divas' that these types of shows tend to shake out of the woodwork.

I thought Melanie was very badly served by Adam's song choice for her. And did anyone else think she looked kind of pissed off about it? When Adam was telling her why he picked that song, it looked like she was going to shoot laser beams out of her eyes and burn him down on the spot. Having her prance around like a cute little girl was the exact opposite of the vibe she's going for. I think that's the first time Adam has really screwed the pooch on song choice, and it may send my favorite contestant home.

Nicholas's first song (the judge's choice) was awful. It was outside his range, his comfort zone, and who he wants to be as an artist, and it showed. It was also over-produced and his voice dropped back into the mix and the chaos and didn't do a good job of showcasing who he is. The second song, however, was brilliant and made me a real fan for the first time.

Cassadee Pope has to be the front-runner now. Both of her performances were good, and she's got real charisma on stage as well as a killer voice. She really knows how to sell a song, even when jumping around, waving her arms, etc. She's the total pop package. And she's killing it on iTunes, so she's clearly got a fan base.

I think I'd have to rank last night's performances like this:

1. Cassadee
2. Amanda
3. Trevin, based on the last song.
4. Nicholas, ditto
5. Melanie
6. Terry

Now, Melanie may be helped because iTunes purchases count and she tends to do better than anyone other than Cassadee in that regard. Nicholas seems to be finding a fan base as well. So my guess for the two going home are Terry and Trevin, but I'm probably wrong. With this level of talent, I don't think anyone is particularly safe.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Cassadee Pope has to be the front-runner now. Both of her performances were good, and she's got real charisma on stage as well as a killer voice. She really knows how to sell a song, even when jumping around, waving her arms, etc. She's the total pop package. And she's killing it on iTunes, so she's clearly got a fan base.
It would make sense that she'd have a fan base. Hey Monday (the band she fronted) were around for a bit, enough for people to take notice. One of their songs was even sung on Glee, so she's had previous exposure.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Okay, America, we're not going to be speaking for a little while.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiros View Post
Ditto. I was only really watching because of Amanda, so I think I'm checking out for the season. I give my surplus kudos to Trevin.

As for the performances, the Ne-Yo/Amanda song was excellent (and sexy), but I thought the rest were pretty blah. "Criminal" with Melanie and Nicholas, especially. Please stop planting the singers in front of instruments that they can't or don't play -- it's silly. And please stop changing the genders of song lyrics to match the person singing -- it feels inappropriate. Maybe it's just me.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM

If I'm reading between the lines right, this will not be a good night to be watching. Serves me right for reading the thread an hour before the show airs here. I was going to put in a prediction, but that's pretty moot now.

But since I still haven't seen it, I'll still put in what I was going to post. If I had my druthers, which obviously I don't, I'd pick Melanie and Terry to go. I am so not a fan of hers. I like the artistic style. . . after the artist hits all the notes.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiros View Post
Because it bears repeating; stooooopid America.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 AM

I just found out that they get ten times their iTunes vote if they have a song in the top ten, which explained the final results. Idiotic result, IMO.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Made French Toast For You View Post
As for the performances, the Ne-Yo/Amanda song was excellent (and sexy), but I thought the rest were pretty blah. "Criminal" with Melanie and Nicholas, especially. Please stop planting the singers in front of instruments that they can't or don't play -- it's silly. And please stop changing the genders of song lyrics to match the person singing -- it feels inappropriate. Maybe it's just me.
Wow, I had exactly the opposite reaction. I thought the Neo/Amanda performance was a mess, but the performance of 'Criminal' was a highlight of the season. And why would you say that Nicholas can't play the piano? He clearly plays it quite well.

In any event, I'm sad to see both Melanie and Amanda go - I wish it had been Trevin/Terry instead. I think Melanie was a victim of Adam's horrific song choice for her on the previous night. If she had done 'Criminal' like Christina suggested, I think she'd still be in the competition.

I'm not sure why Amanda got the boot, other than that she seems to rub some people the wrong way. My wife kept saying that there was something 'wrong' with Amanda. Strange personality, too skinny, whatever. Something she couldn't put her finger on, but she didn't like her. So Amanda just wasn't that appealing to some people, despite being an excellent singer.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Wow, I had exactly the opposite reaction. I thought the Neo/Amanda performance was a mess, but the performance of 'Criminal' was a highlight of the season. And why would you say that Nicholas can't play the piano? He clearly plays it quite well.
Well, I shouldn't say that Nicholas can't play piano; I'm saying he's pretending to play it while singing. Like when Cassadee pretends to play guitar while on stage. They're props -- we're not actually hearing the notes they may be playing.

I don't expect them to have to learn an instrumental piece AND learn to sing a song, when other contestants who don't play instruments just have to sing -- that wouldn't be fair. But using pianos and guitars as props is silly. Then again, The Voice is quite silly, so my criticism is probably misplaced.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Melanie was too much of a niche artist to stay around. But looking at who should have stayed, Amanda is the only choice except maybe Trayvon.
Cassadee = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. At this point everyone is a great singer and she is boring.
Nicholas, Terry, Trayvon - one ok song and one good sone just won't cut it. The difference is Trayvon's good song was great.

Chestina (_Y_) was even bitchier than usual last night. She's a co-coach now? Offering to take another coach's mentee on the road? Let me show you how to sing i.e. everyone look at me.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Gah!!! America, you suck! It defies logic that Terry is still in the competition and Amanda was sent home last night. Now when I heard he topped iTunes with both his songs, I knew he was not going home, but beating out Amanda? She by far had better vocal performance, better variety, and better stage presence consistently through the show, and Monday's performances she had the two top songs. And she went home? WTF?

I guess I'm left rooting for Cassadee, since Trevin and Nicholas bore me, and Terry can't hit his notes.

I mean, I would have sent Nicholas home weeks ago, which means I would have missed out on his version of "Over the Rainbow", but I'm okay with that. Instead, we just lost Amanda.

Quote:
As for the performances, the Ne-Yo/Amanda song was excellent (and sexy),
I'm the opposite. Amanda sang well, but it was Ne-Yo. Meh. I watched about half the song before FFW.

Quote:
...but I thought the rest were pretty blah. "Criminal" with Melanie and Nicholas, especially.
Actually, I liked it. It was kinda funky and putting two quirky singers together.

Quote:
And please stop changing the genders of song lyrics to match the person singing -- it feels inappropriate. Maybe it's just me.
It's just you. Okay, depends on the song. Some songs the pronouns can be switched without affecting the rhymes or meter, other songs it stands out more. Those are better served by not having them sung cross-gender.

Quote:
Wow, I had exactly the opposite reaction. I thought the Neo/Amanda performance was a mess, but the performance of 'Criminal' was a highlight of the season.
I wouldn't go that far. It was cute, but not stand out like many of the other performances, such as the aforementioned rendition of "Over the Rainbow". Or most of Amanda's songs, or several of Cassadee's songs, or even some of Trevin's vocals.

Quote:
If she had done 'Criminal' like Christina suggested, I think she'd still be in the competition.
Plausible, but I'm not convinced. We're in the top 6. Everyone is pretty good, even Terry when he hits the notes. Melanie has a career ahead of her, but her vocal control isn't that great and this competition is fierce. I'm okay with her going home, because of that. But yeah, seeing a sultry side might have played better than the cutesy song. But also might have helped for her to hit the notes in "Crazy", so there's that.

Quote:
I'm not sure why Amanda got the boot, other than that she seems to rub some people the wrong way. My wife kept saying that there was something 'wrong' with Amanda. Strange personality, too skinny, whatever. Something she couldn't put her finger on, but she didn't like her. So Amanda just wasn't that appealing to some people, despite being an excellent singer.
I don't get it, but I think something like that was at play with Cody. I don't know if his homosexuality played a roll, like singing "Jolene". I can't help but think there's a segment of the population uncomfortable enough with that to not pick him because of it.

Quote:
Well, I shouldn't say that Nicholas can't play piano; I'm saying he's pretending to play it while singing. Like when Cassadee pretends to play guitar while on stage. They're props -- we're not actually hearing the notes they may be playing.
And you know this how? What's your evidence that they aren't playing?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
And you know this how? What's your evidence that they aren't playing?
Melanie's "Too Close" performance is where I first got the idea. She does an admirable 10-second cymbal stomp (we get a helpful close up of it), but doesn't play the guitar she's holding, and it's mostly cropped out of the frame.

It made me wonder why there aren't close-ups of Nicholas' hands tickling piano keys or Cassadee strumming guitar strings. In "Criminal" we mostly get Nicholas wiggling behind the piano, barely looking at it. At around 1:35 his hands aren't moving at all, though the piano track continues to play. If I'm wrong, and he did play this complicated piano piece live, from memory, perfectly, with less than a weeks practice -- I'm impressed.

In Cassadee's "Behind These Hazel Eyes", she gives up on the guitar about halfway through the song, without any change to the music. When she is playing, it doesn't look very convincing to me.

Again, not saying they can't play these instruments outside of the show -- just that the instruments are used as props within the show. Do you have evidence that we're hearing them play?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
In Cassadee's "Behind These Hazel Eyes", she gives up on the guitar about halfway through the song, without any change to the music. When she is playing, it doesn't look very convincing to me.

Again, not saying they can't play these instruments outside of the show -- just that the instruments are used as props within the show. Do you have evidence that we're hearing them play?

No, and you make a good case for it. I was looking to see if they were playing more back up than lead or something, but it doesn't feel like it. In both Melanie and Cassadee's cases, they spend most if not all of the song with hands up in the air or on the mike, so there's little they actually could be doing.

I guess it is a bit cheesy. I know we've seen people playing their instruments, but maybe it is a challenge to come up with 1 or 2 songs in less than a week and prep the instrument with the vocals, when it's not one they already know. I guess the justification is something like "this is the kind of performance they might give if this was their song on their tour, where they actually would play the music, but we'll fake it because of the nature of the competition" or something. Still, kinda like a singer lipsynching to their own work so they can dance and groove through the show, rather than giving a live vocal performance.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 PM

Strange show for me tonight.

Oddly, I was really touched by Blake's rendition of White Christmas tonight.

I'm a huge Trevin fan, but I wasn't excited about his performance tonight. What I like about Trevin is that sense of humility and vulnerability that he continues to convey. I also like that he's very masterful at creating a theme for each of his songs. 'Take a look at me now' was to his eighth grade teacher. 'I'm telling you' was to America as a message that he's staying in the music field. I hope he gets pushed through this week. Hopefully, other people heard things in the song that I didn't.

Of the four, I like Nicholas' performance the best. Why was he sitting after the song to hear the coaches?

Of the four of them, judging from the clips, it looks like Nicholas' life has changed the most. I remember when he won the battle rounds, he told his kids that it was pizza night. I thought that was so cute. In the clip, he just bought a new house and his attitude looks vastly different. While I didn't want him to be poor or anything, it was a little sad to see how stardom changes people so quickly. The humility I found so endearing in the beginning seems to have left (not because of the house but just an indication of it), judging from that clip and some of the little things on the show.

I'm not a Cassadee fan. I'm not exactly sure why. I loved her rendition of 'Over You'. I listened to it over a dozen times. But beyond that one song, she seems like she wants to be a punk rocker, but her voice doesn't have the edge to pull off those songs, so they end up all sounding the same. I thought it was an odd song choice tonight. Saying 'stupid' over and over to an audience you're trying to appeal to, didn't make sense to me. (I realize she wasn't calling anyone stupid.) But her voice was nice, as usual.

I did a quick google of Cassadee a couple weeks ago. From what I saw, she has a $50M lawsuit against her from the Hey Monday band. I didn't look much more into it. Something about that struck me the wrong way. It would seem like that would make her a more sympathetic character, but there's something about it that leaves many unanswered questions for me. That might taint my view of her as a singer.

Terry was Terry. I liked the reunion clip with his aunt and uncle. The song was OK.

I'm not sure how to choose who will get eliminated. Nicholas did well. Cassadee has a lot of fans. Terry did his usual that has kept him in the competition. I'm hoping that Trevin will make it to the final, but he'd have to knock out Terry. At this point though, it seems like a toss-up with all four. None of them are standing out that clearly to me, but I'm still a Trevin fan.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM

I thought Trevin's song choice was fine, but for once I heard what seemed to be tonal issues from him. So what could have been a good performance was instead hard to listen to.

I thought Terry did better tonight, with much fewer tonal issues. I was thinking how much better he was doing and not having any problems, then something tweaked my ear. But it was still one of his best in a while.

Nicholas had a very good performance. He still has tempo (or is it rhythm? he's late/long on some of the notes, rushing others to catch up) issues, but his tone was great and the emotion was good. I think it's his style.

I think he was sitting down because he had a heart attack. Either that, or the emotion of singing to his family overwhelmed him a bit.

Cassadee had another stellar performance. The song was different, not being a rocker girl song, but it was delivered excellently - I watched it twice. She really had the emotion and power.

I can't call what America is going to do. They sent home Amanda Brown. Off those four performances, I'd have to send Trevin packing. Off overall ability and performance, I'd send Terry home.

So America will probably give Cassadee the boot.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM

I have never been a Trevin fan--he bores me silly--but last night was worse than usual.

I have not liked Cassadee at all, but Stupid Boy was great. Those who don't think Blake is a good coach should take note, as I am sure he picked that Keith Urban song for her.

Terry's Let It Be was his best ever. I have been on the fence about him, but this was really impressive.

Ah, my man Nicholas. I love him, and loved last night's performance, but I think he needs to find some contemporary songs that he can sing like he can the classics.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 PM

I guess the outcome was expected, but it was still sad for me. I would have liked to see Trevin perform again.

Watching Raelynn again. Ugh. I was hoping to have seen the last of her last season.

I had watched Juliett Simms' song on Hulu in the web clips. I was a fan of hers, and I liked the song.

I was anti-Chris Mann last season because Christina picked him over Jesse Campbell, but his song was OK. He looks very different.

Of the three left, I'm expecting Cassadee Pope to win.

I just need to go back and complain about the bad editing this season. We didn't see most of Cassadee's earlier stuff. That's not very fair. If she had done really badly in the earlier rounds, that could have left people with a worse impression. People might say that everyone is voting for current stuff, but I think that the earlier stuff does leave an impression. . . like first impressions. Trevin had to live up to his expectations because we saw everything he did. Cassadee should have had the same treatment. That was only partial sour grapes since I noted it earlier as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 AM

Aw, Trevin. I'd just like to commend him for leaving with the same smile he came in with. In addition to being tremendously talented, he seems like a remarkably sweet and grounded and genuine kid. I hope to see him again.

I'm also expecting Cassadee to win. Meh. Of course, Terry is equally meh and Nicholas is only slightly less meh (I really like Nicholas, but I wouldn't expect him to have any particularly notable commercial success).

With Cody and Amanda gone, there's just nothing to be excited about. We know exactly what we're going to get from each of these people. Meh.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 AM

Missed the edit window: You know, I really loved Cassadee's audition, but it's been all downhill from there descending into near-contempt for me, mostly due to her (and, to be fair, Blake's) song choices. Ultimately, I think she has a pretty but unremarkable voice and horrifyingly banal and sophomoric taste.

I might have blamed her age for that, but I have a daughter a couple of years younger who not only could vocally curbstomp her, but has some musical awareness that extends beyond post-2000 Clear Channel. Also, see Melanie, who has clearly heard and appreciated some damned music in her life, despite being five years younger than Cassadee.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I think he was sitting down because he had a heart attack. Either that, or the emotion of singing to his family overwhelmed him a bit.
Wonder what the deal was that they happened to have a rocking chair handy. Or did they hurriedly place it there when they saw him with shakey legs?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorYorick View Post
Wonder what the deal was that they happened to have a rocking chair handy. Or did they hurriedly place it there when they saw him with shakey legs?
It was set dressing, part of the props to set the tone for the song. He sat there because it was convenient when he needed to sit down. Thus Carson asking if he was okay, and his response to do the talk from there.

It was good to see Juliette again. I wasn't thrilled with the start of that song, but it was okay overall. Chris Mann had a good voice and good to see he's doing something, but he's not in my taste range. I pretty much predicted that Blake was still backing Raelynn. She had a gig in Houston not long ago. That song wasn't horrible - better than some other stuff she's done. Still had her harsh accent, but I listened to it. But "Boyfriend" - my first thought was why is she singing a Justin Beiber song?

Once Cassadee was safe, I wasn't torn up either way on Trevin or Nicholas. His was the weakest of those four performances. I do appreciate that Trevin still seems such a humble and cheerful guy. I wish him well.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 AM

Just had a strange thought.

I was thinking about how happy Trevin looked when he didn't win and how he looked so lukewarm when he was on the Carson Daly show when Carson asked about winning The Voice.

And I remembered what DianaG posted earlier in the knock-out rounds about Trevin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG View Post
Terisa vs. Trevin: I simply can't not root for this kid (even though I'm kinda hoping he's actually a manipulative evil genius). Sorry Terisa, it doesn't mean you're not fantastic.
I've always thought that Trevin was really pretty manipulative, but in a good way. I think he's been very strategic about many of the choices and alliances he's made. I didn't think it was coincidence that both Amanda and Terisa both felt like he was like their baby brother, and how they both walked away feeling OK that they lost to him.

Then having seen that Christina offered him a chance to go on tour with her if he didn't win a record deal, I wonder if he didn't decide that not winning The Voice was more advantageous to his career than winning it.

Winning The Voice locks the winner into a record deal that hasn't gone very well for the winners in previous years. The runners-up have done much better with more creative freedom and more support from the coaches.

Adam Levine mentioned in one of his interviews that the winners have had less success than some of the other contestants and that there were "failures on behalf of the people who have controlled the careers of the winners post-Voice" and that "we" (I don't know who "we" is) were trying to fix that.

I also just read this in an interview with Amanda about how the iTunes recordings are created:
Quote:
TVLINE | In my humble opinion, the iTunes version of ďSomeone Like YouĒ didnít capture the rocking sensibility of what you did on stage. Did you have to record it before youíd fully finalized the live arrangement with the Voice band?

[Amanda Brown] I really can only say that I went into the studio, did a couple of takes, and thatís as far as I was involved in the iTunes recording. We donít have anything to do with what happens to our vocal after that or how the music is mixed. Iím not a huge fan of that. Iím used to being hands-on in the studio, so that was really a difficult aspect of being on this show. But there are so many people who work on The Voice, and so many parts to what we do, that I understand their method to the madness. It has to be that way.
That gives the sense that creative freedom is limited in the iTunes recording and may have some bearing on how the recording contract works as well.

It may have been amazingly bad timing for Trevin to sing off-key for the first time in the entire competition in the semi-final round, but it makes me wonder if there wasn't another reason.

I'm probably reading too much into it. It was just a thought that struck me tonight.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Amusing speculation.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
Of the four of them, judging from the clips, it looks like Nicholas' life has changed the most. I remember when he won the battle rounds, he told his kids that it was pizza night. I thought that was so cute. In the clip, he just bought a new house and his attitude looks vastly different. While I didn't want him to be poor or anything, it was a little sad to see how stardom changes people so quickly. The humility I found so endearing in the beginning seems to have left (not because of the house but just an indication of it), judging from that clip and some of the little things on the show.
I take this back. Nicholas looked as humble as he has been, on tonight's show. I must have been reading into some of the things I saw in that clip.

As far as who will win, it's hard to say.

From what Adam pointed out, Terry had some technical difficulties. Blake's face looked concerned. But I liked it, especially at the end.

I didn't like Cassadee's performance. I watched it again on Hulu. Her low notes disappeared.

I liked Nicholas' performance the best. He brought it. Lots of energy and sounded good to me.

If I had to rank them, I'd rank them Nicholas, Terry, then Cassadee.

But I suspect that Cassadee will win because of her fan base.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM

Cassadee reminds me of David Cook from American Idol. As soon as she was selected I knew she was going to win just like I knew David Cook would win. They just have that thing that even though they are not the best singers in their respective shows America will vote them the winner.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM

Nicholas's first performance was amped up, energetic, and fun. And he hit all his notes.

Terry had mic problems at the beginning, and once again had notes that seemed off to me. Something in the pitch seems not quite where it should be.

Cassadee's softer stuff sometimes washes out, but her strong stuff is powerful. And she had a lot of emotion.

Their reprise songs, Cassadee's once again really had the emotion. Sap that I am, it got me. Terry still couldn't hit the notes. Nicholas's was similar to what he had done before.

Their duo songs were similar.

I'm still rooting for Cassadee and I think her fan base may edge her.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 AM

Fantastic show tonight. Predictable result.

Amanda Brown showed why she should have gotten further. She stood out in the group songs.

Nicholas got to meet Bill Withers and sing with Smokey Robinson. That's pretty amazing. He won even if he didn't win.

I was surprised to hear Cassadee say that she looked up to De'Borah. I think Cassadee won me over tonight. People have been saying how she has this thing that make people like her. I saw that tonight. Right up until this last show, I really wasn't a fan. I hoped that Nicholas would win. But the way she spoke about the other contestants was really heartwarming. When she did that duet with Avril, I felt like she did really well.

That last song with the coaches was sad, knowing that the team won't be together again. The clip with next season's coaches showed a lot of different chemistry. I hope it will be just as entertaining.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:24 PM

Wow, two hours of that shit. My FFW got a workout. I did give the performances a chance before skipping.

I enjoyed Cassadee's group song, and her duet with Avril. And I agree that all of them are winners just from the experiences gained.

Cassadee was on Leno last night, sang "Over You" again, still got to me.