The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 PM

Dirty Jobs cancelled.

Well, this sure sucks.

They fired Bear Grylls, no more Man vs. Wild.
They put Mythbusters on Sunday nights, when I'm unable to watch.
They cancelled Dirty Jobs, I know not why.

I suppose these shows have run their course, but how could they have run out of dirty jobs??

There's no reason I'll ever have cause to watch Discovery Channel again. I have no interest in choppers, guns, panning for gold, or almost getting away with shit.
Advertisements  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Good riddance to Bear Grylls. Nothing but a fraud if you ask me.
Mythbusters is still watchable though, do you have a DVR? If not, I'm sure there's ways to view the newest eps in some manner online.
As for Dirty Jobs, I'm honestly surprised it survived this long. I mean...some of the 'dirty' jobs they had seemed to be stretching the definition.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

I thought that Bear Grylls show was a joke. I still like Mythbusters, although it's getting a bit long in the tooth (never liked it when they promoted the three flunkies to full 'Mythbuster' status, despite you smart & cute Kari is!) I watched about half of the first season of Dirty Jobs and even though I liked it, too many episodes made me want to puke. I could only watch Mike Rowe wade waist high through goat shit so many times...
Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 PM

This news broke last week in the thread about Fall cancellations.

I sure won't be missing Dirty Jobs, since Ford still shows commercials hosted or voiced by Mike Rowe, so nothing really will change.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I suppose these shows have run their course, but how could they have run out of dirty jobs??
Honestly, they ran out of dirty jobs seasons ago.

They've done some interesting non-dirty jobs, and made some good episodes from doing jobs more or less identical to ones they'd done before, but they were clearly stretching for material quite a while back.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 PM

Mike Rowe can couch surf for a while at my place if he needs somewhere to stay
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I liked the crossover with Sesame Street, where he did Oscar's job.

No, really.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM

It's amazing Mike Rowe beat this dead horse for so long. I pretty much quit watching three years ago. It had reached the point that the jobs just weren't interesting. Sometimes he wasn't even allowed to do the job. He was just there in the way and screwing around.

I loved the show the first couple seasons. The Charcoal plant was my favorite. Mike got so black and dirty in that Charcoal dust and then got stuck in that waist high pit of ashes. Best episode in the series.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-01-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM

It had a good run. And I agree, they ran out of legit "dirty jobs" years ago.

There was a great British show a few years back called "The Worst Jobs in History" with Tony Robinson. It was really interesting and extremely entertaining; I think it would have been a good show to revive with Mike Rowe.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I suspect all y'all who won't miss Dirty Jobs are heterosexual guys, no?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Search function is as slow as ever and google didn't hit up anything. Where is the Fall Cancellation thread? A link would be nice!

Thank you in advance I can usually find what I'm looking for.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=672742
Old 12-01-2012, 01:14 PM

I guess he can always go back to driving a cab.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Ty
Old 12-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
My BF said he'll still have voice over work, doesn't he do Deadliest Catch? I said, "Big whoop".
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
No...I thought Mike was incredibly hot, and would listen to him read the phone book. But, honestly, I doubt the boy'll be hurting for work, and it'll probably be something more interesting than rehashing episodes they've already done, and hopefully remain more on-point than taking Barskey to a waxing salon. (Which was a hilarious episode, to be sure, but it didn't really fit the premise of the show.)

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 12-01-2012 at 02:07 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 AM

ive on the caught the old ep, buried at wierd times. not being a fan of shows about dead people i enjoy these kind of shows
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 AM

that's shitty (and who's going to shovel it).
Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 AM

He's been begging for people to send in their dirty jobs for a few seasons.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM

I met Mike Rowe when they were filming the first pilot episode, called Bat Cave Scavenger. There was part where they went into the cave full of bat shit, another part showing a guy who harvested mud used to rub baseballs for major league baseball, and a segment about cleaning fish.

I was a middle manager at a plant that converted fish scraps into usefull products, mainly fish food for the state and federal fish hatchery system.

The last segment of this pilot was called Fish Gutter or something like that. And they followed the fish scraps as they were being cleaned at the cannery to our plant where the scraps would be converted to fish food. We had never heard of the show, since it didn't exist yet, and we were a bit worried that we would be made to look like fools.

But the segment turned out really well and we began to get calls from all over the country about it. I looked for the segment on Youtube but didn't find it.

Mike Rowe was just as nice a guy as he seems to be on TV. The camera men were overwhelmed by the smell of dump truck loads of fish heads and guts being delivered in the summer sun and walked around with tape covering their noses. But we were used to it and thought it was funny.

So it has come full circle. If you happen to be able to view Bat Cave Scavenger from the original Dirty Jobs pilot, the last segment is where I spent 30 years.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:25 PM

Dallas Jones brings up a good point. Mike Rowe and the folks at Dirty Jobs always treated the people whose jobs they were examining with respect.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM

I thought Mike Rowe had a new series about booze building America. I saw one episode of it...not sure if there were any more.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Funny, just opened this thread and heard Rowe's voice on the TV. Ford's Hurricane Sandy commercial.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 PM

The show was great, but it's been limping for a few seasons. Time to call it a day and move on. Mike will find plenty of other stuff to do that won't give him any horrible diseases from wading in filth.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 AM

They did 5 or 6 episodes of "Dirty Jobs: Australia" a few months ago. Same show, same crew (Barsky, Doug, Troy etc.) just based in Australia - apparently he can't find enough new jobs in the USA to fill a season. And even then they apparently had a tough time finding jobs - one of the episodes was "do the stuff Aboriginal Australians do for a few days."

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards_beard View Post
I thought Mike Rowe had a new series about booze building America. I saw one episode of it...not sure if there were any more.
There were 3 episodes, that pretty much covered the history of booze & America from pre-Revolution to present.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM

I recently started watching the show on Netflix Streaming. I'm only a few seasons in, and I'm really enjoying it, but even before I'd heard it had been cancelled, I was wondering to myself how long they could keep it interesting.

One thing the show made me realize about myself - I've always known I'm not crazy about heights, but I never really thought I had an out-and-out fear of them. During the episode in Hawaii, where he takes part in the high-rise window washing crew, though... I literally couldn't even watch parts of that.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
I recently started watching the show on Netflix Streaming. I'm only a few seasons in, and I'm really enjoying it, but even before I'd heard it had been cancelled, I was wondering to myself how long they could keep it interesting.

One thing the show made me realize about myself - I've always known I'm not crazy about heights, but I never really thought I had an out-and-out fear of them. During the episode in Hawaii, where he takes part in the high-rise window washing crew, though... I literally couldn't even watch parts of that.
Just WAIT till they WALK up to the top of the Golden Gate Bridge, to replace a light bulb. On second thought, you may want to skip that one altogether. Srsly.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 AM

I'm sure QVC would be more than happy to take him back.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Just WAIT till they WALK up to the top of the Golden Gate Bridge, to replace a light bulb. On second thought, you may want to skip that one altogether. Srsly.
Yup, I'll be skipping that one! That makes my extremities go numb just thinking about it....
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Pedantic nitpick - I think it was the Mackinack Bridge that connects the Michigan lower and upper peninsulas, wasn't it? Same episode he cleaned horse manure all over the island there that bans motor vehicles.

I'm a heterosexual guy, and I'll miss it. It's true he ran out of dirty jobs, so it's time to move on, but it was a great show.

Last edited by bup; 12-03-2012 at 11:09 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Pedantic nitpick - I think it was the Mackinack Bridge that connects the Michigan lower and upper peninsulas, wasn't it?
Yep.

Another one to skip is the aerial tram greaser.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:47 AM

We don't have a television, but we do have Netflix streaming. I have a rule that the kids need to maintain a certain ratio of approved educational/informative watching to fluff/useless watching. Dirty Jobs was a household favorite to fill that requirement. They're not caught up on the backlog yet, but it kind of sucks they won't have it as an option in the future.

But yea, it was clear the well was running dry. And eight seasons is entirely respectable.

Enjoy,
Steven
Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
Good riddance to Bear Grylls. Nothing but a fraud if you ask me.
Mythbusters is still watchable though, do you have a DVR? If not, I'm sure there's ways to view the newest eps in some manner online.
As for Dirty Jobs, I'm honestly surprised it survived this long. I mean...some of the 'dirty' jobs they had seemed to be stretching the definition.
Yet another reason I think they should have retained the original title: "Somebody Has To Do It" or something like that.

It doesn't have to be a 'dirty' job for it to be fascinating.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Huh, thanks Discovery for changing the title of what will be the last "season" of Dirty Jobs so that my DVR didn't record the shows. The show had a nice run and I'll think nice thoughts when I delete it from my DVR Series Manager.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
Yup, I'll be skipping that one! That makes my extremities go numb just thinking about it....
Three words: Wind Turbine Maintenance

I'm not very afraid of heights and that one put me over the edge.

BTW: this is the first time I've heard people implying that they watch for Mike Rowe as eye candy. I just thought he was a good, relatable, and willing-to-do-anything host. Will have to ask the wife if she was watching for the same reasons....
Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoron View Post
BTW: this is the first time I've heard people implying that they watch for Mike Rowe as eye candy. I just thought he was a good, relatable, and willing-to-do-anything host. Will have to ask the wife if she was watching for the same reasons....
Really...I'd heard it; and I'm not uncomfortable saying that I could, in the right context, see me beginning a statement about Mike with "I'm not gay, but..."
Old 12-03-2012, 01:03 PM

It's not just eye-candy. Women go for the whole enchilada - his confidence, sense of humor, voice. He's got charisma through the roof.

I'm a hetero guy and I admit having a mancrush on him.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Pedantic nitpick - I think it was the Mackinack Bridge that connects the Michigan lower and upper peninsulas, wasn't it? Same episode he cleaned horse manure all over the island there that bans motor vehicles.

I'm a heterosexual guy, and I'll miss it. It's true he ran out of dirty jobs, so it's time to move on, but it was a great show.
Was it? Sorry! I think he's done more than one 'bridge' show. A big tall bridge, to me, is like any other big tall bridge.

My favorite shows were always the ones with animals, who didn't always cooperate. The Lake Erie watersnake episode is as hilarious as it is horrifying. I'm going to miss Mike Rowe not only for his looks, but his great personality and sense of humor. I don't know anyone who did NOT like Mike Rowe. He can be seen on Youtube selling QVC crap, maybe they have an example from his opera singing days....
Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Mike has a great, snappy sense of humor. For example, we recently watched the old episode where he was helping the snake lady catch water snakes by Lake Erie. Mike was on his stomach, slowly tugging a resisting snake out from under a big rock. "She's coming!" says the snake lady. Mike responds, "Yeah, so's Christmas."

On edit: see? Everyone loves the Lake Erie snake episode!

Last edited by Max Torque; 12-03-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
It's not just eye-candy. Women go for the whole enchilada - his confidence, sense of humor, voice. He's got charisma through the roof.
Yup, my wife totally crushes on him. Me, I think he'd be a hilarious drinking partner.

Between the voiceover work, commercial work (Wrangler jeans, Ford), doing speaking appearances (for which, I gather, he makes five-figure fees), and TV projects like "How Booze Shaped America", I don't think the guy will be hurting for work, or money, any time soon.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Three words: Wind Turbine Maintenance

I'm not very afraid of heights and that one put me over the edge.

My take (straight married female): eye/ear candy, AND good/relatable person. Bonus points for the sense of humor.

Another plus for me is that he got in such good shape doing actual, honest, productive work, not just from the gym.

Last edited by Seanette; 12-03-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Mike has a great, snappy sense of humor. For example, we recently watched the old episode where he was helping the snake lady catch water snakes by Lake Erie. Mike was on his stomach, slowly tugging a resisting snake out from under a big rock. "She's coming!" says the snake lady. Mike responds, "Yeah, so's Christmas."

On edit: see? Everyone loves the Lake Erie snake episode!
I don't, but I'm an ophidiophobe.

I think my favorite was when he delivered a calf. A good deal of kindness to the cow, very cute moment with the calf ("Welcome to the world, Chief!"), another nice moment with the cow ("Nice job, honey"). What's not to like?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
I think my favorite was when he delivered a calf. A good deal of kindness to the cow, very cute moment with the calf ("Welcome to the world, Chief!"), another nice moment with the cow ("Nice job, honey"). What's not to like?
Yeah, there was another episode with farm animals. They were inseminating horses, and took us thru the entire process. It included "harvesting" from the male, whose member was blurred-out so as to not offend our Victorian sensibilities. Then, Mike got to put on a full plastic sleeve for the insemination part (with female horse's tender bits blurred-out). The lady he was with was very non-chalant about what was going on "well, that's it - we just created a baby horse!".

I don't think this segment was aired more than once.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I can't remember who it was, but one couple on the Dope had as their "arrangement" that he was allowed to sleep with Kari Byron if ever he got the chance, and she was likewise allowed to sleep with Mike Rowe. So yeah, I'm aware that many female viewers have a crush on him.

I don't, but I can easily see how someone inclined that way might. He's got a friendly personality, he does good, honest work, and insofar as I can judge such things, he's rather handsome.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW: this is the first time I've heard people implying that they watch for Mike Rowe as eye candy.
Also ear candy. He does have a very nice voice, both speaking and singing (he originally tried a career as an opera singer).
Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

NOOOOOOOOO!

On the other hand, I suppose that increases the odds that I will be able to knock back a male heterosexual beer or three with him sometime.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I'm a hetero guy and I admit having a mancrush on him.
Right, it's not just looks, but his truly amazing ability to flirt with anyone. As a straight man, to me it's more like watching an outstanding athlete, enjoying the point where he manages to punch through the defenses of some crusty 58-year old seen-it-all cleaning fish guts, and get her to smile and giggle.

In fact, that's the show I really want to see. "Mike Rowe flirts with the unflirtable". Obviously they couldn't admit the point of the show up front, so they''d have to be pretending to do another "Dirty Jobs" type show, but the main point is putting Mike in the room with the dourest, least flirtacious women imaginable and seeing how long it takes him to get a smile.