The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Saved Christmas: All the major DC superheroes. I remember buying an oversized collection that reprinted the stories back in the 70's.

I'd like to see Pyramid Head save Christmas.
Advertisements  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 PM

In the late 80s or early 90s, there was a Superman story which established that Martha & Jon's little boy gets thousands of letters each year, which sit at the post office most of the year as he's slightly busy with alien invasions and hurricanes and volcanoes and such. During Yuletide he'd go to the post office and sort through the letters (in the story in question, Lois came along) and sorts through them--tossing anything whose aim is to make money but helping people he could help.

Anyway -- after the Death of Superman storyline, Wonder Woman and some other Justice Leaguers decided to tackle the letters (again at Christmastime). Even in aggregate, though, they had a much harder time getting shit done than Clark would've.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Well, Homer Simpson saved three Christmases versus eight he ruined ... two were kind of a draw...
I swear I didn't see this post when I made mine...
Old 12-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Last night, Sheldon Cooper saved Christmas. Wait, no he didn't.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Dropo the Martian
Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
In the late 80s or early 90s, there was a Superman story which established that Martha & Jon's little boy gets thousands of letters each year, which sit at the post office most of the year as he's slightly busy with alien invasions and hurricanes and volcanoes and such. During Yuletide he'd go to the post office and sort through the letters (in the story in question, Lois came along) and sorts through them--tossing anything whose aim is to make money but helping people he could help.
Superman reads his fan mail once a year?! Feeds into the whole Superdickery meme a little -- what if someone wrote with a problem but it ripened (death, bankruptcy, etc.) while his/her letter was sitting gathering dust? Was he using this as a further weeding-out: "Oh well, he's dead by now. Next letter!" Or did they make it clear in the story that "everyone knows" Supes reads his mail only during Christmastime?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
Superman reads his fan mail once a year?! Feeds into the whole Superdickery meme a little -- what if someone wrote with a problem but it ripened (death, bankruptcy, etc.) while his/her letter was sitting gathering dust? Was he using this as a further weeding-out: "Oh well, he's dead by now. Next letter!" Or did they make it clear in the story that "everyone knows" Supes reads his mail only during Christmastime?
Actually, no, people in-universe don't generally know that. Before the story, only Supes and the Metropolis Post Office generally; in the story, Lois found out because she was writing a story on the subject. And it's not like he

I don't see it as any sort of dickery. Superman's slightly busy, after all, and he has a life of his own. Almost by definition, the concerns communicated in the letters weren't emergencies, since at a minimum a couple of days must have passed before Superman could possibly have read it. And the story made the point of their being reasonable limits to what he could do with super-powers anyway, or wanted to do. Many of the letters were of the "If you'll use your X-ray vision to help me find oil deposits, I'll split half the proceeds with them"; he tossed those aside without responding.

As I recall, there was only one problem he could actualy address; an old German immigrant wanted to visit her sister in the homeland before either died, so he stopped mid-way through the letter-reading to fly her overseas. This took hours, since he couldn't go anywhere near his top speed while carrying a passenger, and in the meantime Lois went through the letters, trashed all the money-making ventures, and sorted the rest for referrals to social agencies. That left a kid who wanted Superman to cure his father's heart disease, which Supes couldn't do; he went to talk to the kid anyway because he was a mensch.

Why should Superman be obliged to read his fan mail at all? It's not like he owes his fans for buying his records.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 12-15-2012 at 01:52 PM..
Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

...stupid, cheap-ass "FANS"...
Old 12-15-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
...stupid, cheap-ass "FANS"...
I have added a note to your already incredibly thick file.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 PM

If we're nominating people, I'd like to say that saving xmas for the entire world is a difficult task. I don't celebrate the holiday myself, but if Katy Perry wants to show up and punish me for being a scrooge, I'll allow it. Rashida Jones if Katy's busy. Or both; I've been very naughty.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 PM

Jack Bauer could save Christmas. Too bad he will have to slaughter all the reindeer and half the elves to do it.

Also, The Terminator --except that the Terminator kills Santa and impersonates him in order to infiltrate every home on Earth, and then kills every single human. But -- Christmas is saved ... er, somehow.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

After he's done that, every single human is completely filled with love and the spirit of Christmas!

(statements about the empty set are fun!)
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Also, The Terminator --except that the Terminator kills Santa and impersonates him in order to infiltrate every home on Earth, and then kills every single human. But -- Christmas is saved ... er, somehow.
"I'll be back...for Christmas."

After Santa finds a facehugger under his tree, it's up to the Predators to save Christmas!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Well, there was the in-show Family Guy Christmas special of "KISS Saves Santa". So I suppose that could be one.

I'd like the guys at Gearbox to make a Borderlands 2 DLC where you save Christmas on Pandora. Admit it, you'd buy it.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM

Gandalf should save Christmas - with the help of the EntWives.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM

IIRC, there was an add-on for Duke Nukem 3D where Duke saved Christmas.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Gandalf should save Christmas - with the help of the EntWives.
Pretty sure Rankin-Bass already made that one.

Oh wait, that was The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. I don't remember who here I first saw call it Hobbit Claus, but I thank you.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Gandalf hasn't saved Christmas, but Tolkien did write a children's book about Father Christmas and his (badass, naturally) elves saving Christmas.

The Father Christmas Letters
Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 AM
BANNED

Judge Dredd has both saved and ruined Christmas.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:14 AM
born to be shunned

Should? Hellboy and/or Buckaroo Banzai.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM
BANNED

Harry Dresden. Or better still, Sandman Slim.