The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXJohns View Post
My dad is blind in one eye. He can outshoot me any day and I'm pretty good. I keep both of my eyes open when I am using an eotech sight, but any other shooting is done with my non dominant eye closed.
At the range he was shooting most of these guys--I don't think it was going to be much of an issue--especially for someone with so much experience using a gun. A human is a pretty large target at the distances we see in that scene.
Advertisements  
Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
Is this a whoosh or are you serious? Yes, for aimed shots with a rifle and scope I can see the point that you only need one eye. Richard took a lot of shots that were not using the rifle scope and the final shot at the end was from a kneeling position with the rifle held low to the ground and angled upward.
People with vision in only one eye don't lack depth perception. It may not be quite as good as those with two eyes, but depth perception does not rely exclusively on binocular disparity. We also use a combination of parallax and our own vestibular system. If someone is a good shot with two eyes, I don't think that person would get significantly worse with one eye, especially when the targets are not far away.

Quote:
What DeAngelis and his colleagues have discovered is a brain region (the middle temporal region) that combines visual information and vestibular information to produce an independent estimate of distance. The brain is combining parallax from the visual system with an estimate of how much we or our heads or move or rotating from the vestibular system – movement and parallax = distance.
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/i...th-perception/

Last edited by theR; 12-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
But also, y'know, he could have been watching the place for a while, looking for an opportunity when he saw most of the men abruptly drive off.
Well, he didn't actually know the surplus of gangsters were going to leave. He didn't know there was a deal in place between Nucky and Masseria, so he was expecting everyone to be there. So, there really wouldn't be any need to scope out the place waiting for the perfect opportunity.

It was just coincidence, and a little blind luck, that most of them hit the road.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
Well, he didn't actually know the surplus of gangsters were going to leave. He didn't know there was a deal in place between Nucky and Masseria, so he was expecting everyone to be there. So, there really wouldn't be any need to scope out the place waiting for the perfect opportunity.

It was just coincidence, and a little blind luck, that most of them hit the road.
Several days pass between the time we see him gathering his guns and when he actually storms the building. I think we must be meant to think that he's just been casing the brothel and waiting for his chance. Not specifically because he knew about the deal, but just because he figured at some point something would come down the pipe and he'd have his chance.

Otherwise its a pretty bizarre coincidence that he charges in at exactly the right time and you have to explain what he was doing all week after getting kicked out.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 PM

One eye or two, a scoped rifle is pretty useless in a house. Bolt action, point (not aim) and shoot and a long barrel are disadvantages. Everyone else seems to have Tommy guns, so should Richard. Much better for clearing a house.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
One eye or two, a scoped rifle is pretty useless in a house. Bolt action, point (not aim) and shoot and a long barrel are disadvantages. Everyone else seems to have Tommy guns, so should Richard. Much better for clearing a house.
Yes, but he used the guns he fought and trained with for the most part -- the rifle and the Webley revolver. Also, with a scope that small and low powered, he could have been doing more point and shoot fighting rather than taking aim. Really, he likely only used the scope in that very first shot down the hallway.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Do they, though? IIRC, fully-automatic weapons are fairly rare on the show. Most times someone's packing iron, it's a pistol or a shotgun. I certainly don't remember any Thompsons in the Richard scene (but that may have been because I was too busy going SQUEEE! at seeing Richard kick ass).
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Yes, but he used the guns he fought and trained with for the most part -- the rifle and the Webley revolver. Also, with a scope that small and low powered, he could have been doing more point and shoot fighting rather than taking aim. Really, he likely only used the scope in that very first shot down the hallway.
Sorry for the nitpick, but he used a US issue S&W M1917 revolver and what looked like a Colt 1903 when he popped the guy under the chin during the struggle in the hallway.

Last edited by JXJohns; 12-08-2012 at 12:55 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXJohns View Post
Sorry for the nitpick, but he used a US issue S&W M1917 revolver and what looked like a Colt 1903 when he popped the guy under the chin during the struggle in the hallway.
Yep. The ring under the grip fooled me. It's a S&W for certain - which also had a similar ring.