The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Apparently "Bones" is back. Do we care?

Sometimes I keep on watching programs that I've habitually watched even after I stop liking them. Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.

Last night was a 2-hour Bones, which I couldn't make myself watch, but I recorded it. I guess the first hour was the last episode of last season? And the second hour was a new episode that continued from it? I don't even remember how last season ended.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Probably to put off bagging up the trash and taking it down to the road for pickup tomorrow.


Is anyone else still watching Bones?



****************************
MODERATOR ADDS NOTE: The first many posts here are older, related to the 2012-2013 season. The season beginning in Sept 2013 is discussed at the end, beginning in Post #68 -- CKDH.

Last edited by C K Dexter Haven; 09-27-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Fir na tine Fir na tine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
They were both reruns.

Last episode has her fleeing DC, wanted for murder. Framed of course by some nutjob she helped put in prison. Previews for new season show her as a blonde on the run!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir na tine View Post
They were both reruns.
Then I'll just delete without watching (again). The DirecTV info note said the first showing was yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Khadaji Khadaji is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,600
I used to enjoy Bones, but thought last season was pretty lame.

I'll watch this season, but it has to get way better for me to keep watching.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Lat season was AWFUL. Bones became even more rigid and robot-like. The baby thing did not add one bit. The show peaked a couple of years ago and went downhill.

I used to like to see what Cam was wearing, but last season she looked way too skinny... dangerously so.

Ok. Time to put out the trash...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:09 PM
MsRobyn MsRobyn is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between the Moon and NYC
Posts: 12,422
It seems they're going back to the same sort of arc as Gormagon, the Gravedigger, and so forth that they were doing in earlier seasons. This new guy has some potential; I'll give it a few episodes to decide if I like it enough to stick with it.

BTW, the season premiere is September 17.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM
BrotherCadfael BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
I have never been a big fan of the show - sometimes when little else is on I'll watch it. As far as I am concerned, Angela is the best thing about the show, both the character and her actress.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Khadaji Khadaji is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I have never been a big fan of the show - sometimes when little else is on I'll watch it. As far as I am concerned, Angela is the best thing about the show, both the character and her actress.
Agreed. She does it for me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New England
Posts: 33,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Lat season was AWFUL. Bones became even more rigid and robot-like.
How can Emily Deschanel possibly be Zooey's sister?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Rhiannon8404 Rhiannon8404 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,068
I almost gave up on it last season, but my teenage son watches it and we always watched it together. I will give it another try this season, but I'm making no promises.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Rubixcube Rubixcube is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I gave up during season 4. The plots got worse and worse, the characters got stiffer and less likeable and yet the show focused more and more on them to the detriment of the actual mysteries. Finally I realized that the only character I actually liked was Zack, and that without him or decent mysteries the show was rather boring.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 PM
not what you'd expect not what you'd expect is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: city of gold
Posts: 3,024
I love Booth, so I'll try to stick it out, but last season was pretty terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Nonsuch Nonsuch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Posts: 2,441
My wife occasionally watches this, but I find it impossible to take seriously -- it's like watching high school kids solve mysteries. (High school kids who talk like Wikipedia entries and work in a multi-million-dollar, state of the art facility, but still.)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Bohomite Bohomite is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Meh. It was good in the first season, when everything was more believable. I don't see it sticking around for another season after this one.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM
TBG TBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Yeah, last season was pretty bad. If they don't turn things around in a hurry, they're done for. Then again, they've been on long enough they're probably close to done for anyway. As of this season, Boreanaz will now have played Booth for as long as he played Angel, btw.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Tonight's Episode

Why do I keep watching this crap?

Tonight's episode was all over the place. Bones accused of murder. On the run with baby and her dad. Angela being all cranky because Cam expects her to work on other stuff besides cracking the code that will clear Bones, blahblahblah.

Angela screwed her extremely mobile face into ever new distortions as she stared at her transparent screen puzzling over, well: puzzles. Ryan O'Neal does not look well. He seemed to be pumped full of something.

The show has bottomed out IMHO.

I want murders that are solved using the team's skills. With very little background. No family issues or babies or parents. Is that too much to ask?

I would love a spinoff with the two characters Dr. Clark Edison and Caroline "Cherie" Julian. Those are the only two I like on the show.
__________________
I wept because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no class.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 PM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Bones as a blonde. Okay, I'm okay with that. More than okay. But she reverted. Oh, well.

Ryan O'Neal has been a poor actor for some time now, giving him so much screen time just doesn't work.

The season premiere just drifted all over. Trying to put in too many changes, advances, etc. in one go. One of the interns of the week is now the new Bones, no he isn't. What? Everything's cleared up, no it isn't.

I'm used to absurd computer usage and code breaking, but even that was so stupid and so wrong it makes the usual Hollywood stuff look scientific by comparison.

No car commercial embedded in the show this week? The only hint of product placement was someone using a computer in the cafe.

But worst of all was the "gotcha":

SPOILER:
So what if he had a fake name and was Egyptian? He's still a murderer. He's not going to be let go unless he had diplomatic immunity, which is impossible to get for some nobody living in the US for a long time under a fake name. The State Department wouldn't have allowed it. No ex post facto on that.

And he had a grandfather who fought the Japanese in WWII. So, how does that relate to being an Egyptian?


An episode by committee if there ever was one.

C'mon folks, I need more than a blond Bones to keep tuning in.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Caffeine.addict Caffeine.addict is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post

But worst of all was the "gotcha":

SPOILER:
So what if he had a fake name and was Egyptian? He's still a murderer. He's not going to be let go unless he had diplomatic immunity, which is impossible to get for some nobody living in the US for a long time under a fake name. The State Department wouldn't have allowed it. No ex post facto on that.

And he had a grandfather who fought the Japanese in WWII. So, how does that relate to being an Egyptian?

SPOILER:
I agree. The entire twist was stupid. It wouldn't make a bit of difference. Unless he was an accredited diplomat, and was properly registered as one or as the family member of one, it wouldn't matter.



I don't know why I still watch this show.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Loach Loach is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Its a show that I watch if it happens to be on when I'm flipping. Hasn't happened in a while.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM
simster simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,163
The only reason that the twist worked was the mole FBI agent - but this whole thing was so beyond stupid it wasn't even worthy.

As I told SimWIfe - these writers cannot do 'long arcs' well - they need to keep it simpler - and fun - Zach should have been brought back to solve the problem.

And the big "off the grid" idea for Bones was staying in town and flower messages at the cemetary? really?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Boggette Boggette is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
What the hell did they do to the theme music?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
The only reason that the twist worked was the mole FBI agent - but this whole thing was so beyond stupid it wasn't even worthy.
The FBI guy was such a dick during the whole episode and at the end they're all drinking and toasting each other? WTF?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Typo Negative Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I want murders that are solved using the team's skills. With very little background. No family issues or babies or parents. Is that too much to ask?
I'm with you.

The 'falsely accused of murder' plot has the stink of hack writer out of dialogue. All he can do is to try to 'add drama', forgetting about why we loved the show in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Abortion Fanatic Abortion Fanatic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I have never been a big fan of the show - sometimes when little else is on I'll watch it. As far as I am concerned, Angela is the best thing about the show, both the character and her actress.
Seriously?! Angela! I can't stand the character, she represents the worst aspects of the show to me. It's notstop personal drama, plus the awful tendency of the show to never let anyone be normal. Is Booth an FBI agent who used to be a sniper? Well, yeah, but he's the BEST FBI agent who used to be the BEST sniper. Is Hodgins a skilled entomologist who would be helpful in a show about solving murders? Yeah but, he's got three doctorates and is sooper seekritly a gazillionaire. So is it somewhat plausible that an artist could be helpful for facial reconstruction? I guess. It is utterly ridiculous that someone with an undergrad degree in visual artists who studied computers a bit is just constantly building these super-advanced hollogram programs? Yup.

It used to be good "Turn your brain off" TV, something to put on in the background while you fold laundry or wash dishes, but lately I can't take the potential damage to my eye sockets from rolling so hard.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 AM
spifflog spifflog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
The show jumped the shark for me when Emily Deschanel got pregnant. If she's not as big as a house, then Bones isn't pregnant, and the kabuki dance between Bones and Booth continues and the so is somewhat as it has been.

The problem is that the show increasing centered around the romantic tension between the four main characters. I think the producers felt that they couldn't jerk the audience around forever with both, so they put Angela and Jack together. Then when Emily got pregnant, they had to put them together as well. When they killed off Vincent Nigel-Murray, I thought there were actually going to let the newborn baby die, and allow Bones and Booth's adventures to continue, but not so.

I can't think of many shows on TV that survive long, when the sexual tension (which the show was increasing largely built on) is eliminated by putting the main character together. Thinking Lois and Clark, Moonlighting etc.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 AM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I can't think of many shows on TV that survive long, when the sexual tension (which the show was increasing largely built on) is eliminated by putting the main character together. Thinking Lois and Clark, Moonlighting etc.
None of them do: Northern Exposure, Frasier, Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Loach Loach is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abortion Fanatic View Post
Seriously?! Angela! I can't stand the character, she represents the worst aspects of the show to me. It's notstop personal drama, plus the awful tendency of the show to never let anyone be normal. Is Booth an FBI agent who used to be a sniper? Well, yeah, but he's the BEST FBI agent who used to be the BEST sniper. Is Hodgins a skilled entomologist who would be helpful in a show about solving murders? Yeah but, he's got three doctorates and is sooper seekritly a gazillionaire. So is it somewhat plausible that an artist could be helpful for facial reconstruction? I guess. It is utterly ridiculous that someone with an undergrad degree in visual artists who studied computers a bit is just constantly building these super-advanced hollogram programs? Yup.

Yeah the Angela character has always been the hardest for me to take. We had the premier facial reconstruction expert in the country work on a case of ours. Although he had a very good track record, on our case he was totally off. He concluded it was a white girl when in fact she was African-American. It looked nothing like her. Angela gets it perfectly right everytime with just a couple clicks or a wave of the hand.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Skywatcher Skywatcher is offline
Uncharted
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 26,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
SPOILER:
So what if he had a fake name and was Egyptian? He's still a murderer. He's not going to be let go unless he had diplomatic immunity, which is impossible to get for some nobody living in the US for a long time under a fake name. The State Department wouldn't have allowed it. No ex post facto on that.

And he had a grandfather who fought the Japanese in WWII. So, how does that relate to being an Egyptian?
My guess is a future episode will cover
SPOILER:
Mr. Computer Genius having altered some Egyptian bigshot's records, replacing them with his own.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 PM
rocking chair rocking chair is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
i've just started watching bones. saw the first season, a bit of the second... and now edging in from the other end of the candle.

may i just say RATBURGER!!? that is genius!!! sheer genius. the chef is right, why kill when you can feed 'em a ratburger for years and years.

best vengeance ever!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Way too much baby time last season. Unless they tone it down this season, I'm outta here......
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM
obfusciatrist obfusciatrist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Have they made a point of Sweets being skilled with a gun before?

This is two episodes in a row they've made pointed reference to it (last week him saying he was master rated or something and this week at the firing range).

If that's new (I don't remember anything before but could be forgetting) I assume this means he will be shooting someone this season.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM
simster simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
Have they made a point of Sweets being skilled with a gun before?

This is two episodes in a row they've made pointed reference to it (last week him saying he was master rated or something and this week at the firing range).

If that's new (I don't remember anything before but could be forgetting) I assume this means he will be shooting someone this season.
Its not new - I think it was last season they had him qualifying with it, much to Booth's disaproval, in Fact, Booth had to give him the final test and so forth and much bromance ensued.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Kiyoshi Kiyoshi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I'm with you.
Thirded. I'm sick of seeing Booth and Brennan making out, and I'm sick of the babies. These days, they only spend about 10 minutes per episode showing the actual investigations.

I'm disappointed that the black intern is now full-time. He's such a boring, two-dimensional character (does he have any personality traits other than "prefers to stay professional"?) They really need to bring back Zack (perhaps as a Hannibal Lecter figure, assisting the team from prison).
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Last night the intern was the well-educated country bumpkin who "ma'am's" Cam. I like him. Also the case took up more screen time than the relationship problems, but only barely.

Cam's hair is looking better and she's put on enough weight to bring her up to normal. Last season she was skeletal.

Angela still has very bad hair, a large mouth, huge teeth, and she actually managed to reconstruct some pages that had been run through a cross-cut shredder. Yeah. Right.

I'll probably keep watching it because I love pain.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Bones 11/12/2012

Tuesday's episode was quite good! Very much like the Bones of old.

The best thing was a reunion of all the interns (minus, Zack, of course). Tempe has been reading a book by Phil Jackson and tried to get the Interns to play together like a team. The dialogue among them was great. I'm only 20 mins into the episode, but so far no babies, and Booth and Bones are acting like they're not married.

I'd love this show to get back on track.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Wow. This episode was really great! The theme was for Veterans Day. The intern ensemble was terrific. Tempe even had feelings at the end. I hope they keep these writers around.

Cam is still scary thin, however.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
It was sort of a "meh" episode to me. Which means better than a lot of recent ones.

Slate has an article about it that explains some production info about it. Note that it was an older, independent episode, not designed to fit into the current story arc. (No Sweets love-life story arc, for example.) So they were able to shift it for Veterans Day.

Slate's choice of which shows to cover is eclectic. Mad Men, Louie, etc., of course. But Bones?

It did not include all the interns. It left out Daisy. There were too many of them in this episode anyway and fitting in another one, especially one who just broke up with Sweets (but they couldn't reference) would have made it even worse.

It is just overdue to get rid of the lot. Bring back Zack via a retcon or Evil Twin and restore the show.

Why didn't they hit the local homeless shelters first looking for an ID, why go the the Pentagon first?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
simster simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
It was sort of a "meh" episode to me. Which means better than a lot of recent ones.

Slate has an article about it that explains some production info about it. Note that it was an older, independent episode, not designed to fit into the current story arc. (No Sweets love-life story arc, for example.) So they were able to shift it for Veterans Day.

Slate's choice of which shows to cover is eclectic. Mad Men, Louie, etc., of course. But Bones?

It did not include all the interns. It left out Daisy. There were too many of them in this episode anyway and fitting in another one, especially one who just broke up with Sweets (but they couldn't reference) would have made it even worse.

It is just overdue to get rid of the lot. Bring back Zack via a retcon or Evil Twin and restore the show.

Why didn't they hit the local homeless shelters first looking for an ID, why go the the Pentagon first?
They went to the pentagon because he had shrapnel that placed him there and was wondering if anyone would recognize him (10 years later, yeah, sure).

While I liked how they pieced together the mystery and solved it - I get tired of the preachiness that has become standard for an episode of bones.

I did, however, like the interaction between the interns.

Zach was never an intern - he was Bones' grad student.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Kiyoshi Kiyoshi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Ugh, what was all that 9/11 glurge in the latest episode? Seriously...

Definitely a jumping the shark moment for the series.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 AM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Let's get it over with ...

Bones, 12/3/12 "The Ghost in the Machine".

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Just when I was hoping that the show wasn't going to suck so much anymore, it's back to its worst form and then some.

Spoilers, ... but who cares anymore?

The entire episode is from the perspective of the victim-of-the-week's skull. I.e., the cast talks to the skull/camera. The skull is carried around. Nothing of note happens unless the skull is present and out of its box.

Which leads to incredible absurdities. Excuses have to be made so that suspects and such are interviewed with the skull present. The skull is taken out of the lab to Bones/Booth's home and then a crime scene. A car is brought into the middle of the lab so that the examination of the car is done in front of the skull.

Yeah, it was as bad as it sounds.

But wait, there's less! Cyndi Lauper was dragged out again for some dippy psychic crap.

And the usual unbelievable stuff was less believable. I.e., after the victim was killed, his body was moved to a pump house that was used as a homeless/teen hangout. But somehow no one noticed the putrid corpse there. And 3 spots on the skull magically lined up with 3 holes in the wall of the building. They were caused by Sun bleaching. Umm, the path of the sun beams changes each day plus the amount of time the sun would shine on a small area on a skull is very, very short. So much for Science.

If you are a remaining fan of Bones, don't watch this episode. Nothing happened that will affect future relationships and it will just make you angry. You need the space on your DVR anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM
simster simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Let's get it over with ...

Bones, 12/3/12 "The Ghost in the Machine".

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Just when I was hoping that the show wasn't going to suck so much anymore, it's back to its worst form and then some.

Spoilers, ... but who cares anymore?

The entire episode is from the perspective of the victim-of-the-week's skull. I.e., the cast talks to the skull/camera. The skull is carried around. Nothing of note happens unless the skull is present and out of its box.

Which leads to incredible absurdities. Excuses have to be made so that suspects and such are interviewed with the skull present. The skull is taken out of the lab to Bones/Booth's home and then a crime scene. A car is brought into the middle of the lab so that the examination of the car is done in front of the skull.

Yeah, it was as bad as it sounds.

But wait, there's less! Cyndi Lauper was dragged out again for some dippy psychic crap.

And the usual unbelievable stuff was less believable. I.e., after the victim was killed, his body was moved to a pump house that was used as a homeless/teen hangout. But somehow no one noticed the putrid corpse there. And 3 spots on the skull magically lined up with 3 holes in the wall of the building. They were caused by Sun bleaching. Umm, the path of the sun beams changes each day plus the amount of time the sun would shine on a small area on a skull is very, very short. So much for Science.

If you are a remaining fan of Bones, don't watch this episode. Nothing happened that will affect future relationships and it will just make you angry. You need the space on your DVR anyway.
You missed the best part(s) -

Bone's crying over a victim
Said Spirit of the victim waving goodbye at the end of the episode
The 'ghost' fades between scenes.
A hidden Video recording in an MP3 collection.
How deadly accurate the Angelatron has become in facial reconstruction.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM
MsRobyn MsRobyn is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between the Moon and NYC
Posts: 12,422
The last two episodes were awards-show nomination episodes. They're emotionally manipulative and are about stuff that no one can ever be against. Next week's will probably feature a cancer victim or some such.

And, yeah, the technology is veering toward Star Trek territory. It's getting ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Got a new super-bad guy of the magnitude of the Gravedigger. He stole all Hodgins' money, but he's not dead. Cam put on a little weight, lookin' good, not anorexic any more. I'm still watching. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Oslo Ostragoth Oslo Ostragoth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: the Prairie
Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Got a new super-bad guy of the magnitude of the Gravedigger. He stole all Hodgins' money, but he's not dead. Cam put on a little weight, lookin' good, not anorexic any more. I'm still watching. Anyone else?
Not new. He played the super-smart bad guy in several eps last year.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Death of Rats Death of Rats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRobyn View Post
The last two episodes were awards-show nomination episodes. They're emotionally manipulative and are about stuff that no one can ever be against. Next week's will probably feature a cancer victim or some such.

And, yeah, the technology is veering toward Star Trek territory. It's getting ridiculous.
Considering that they started with the magic 3D hologram projector in the first season, we never left ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 AM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo Ostragoth View Post
Not new. He played the super-smart bad guy in several eps last year.
That must have been during the extended period when I wasn't paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
Considering that they started with the magic 3D hologram projector in the first season, we never left ridiculous.
Okay, maybe I just like looking at Cam. That might be it.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Boggette Boggette is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
What the heck? One week we're goofing off doing stupid dance moves and acting silly and the next we're back to "serious business". This show is really starting to hack me off.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Philliam Philliam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
Agreed. She does it for me.
And I'm all like - well, duh!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM
TBG TBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo Ostragoth View Post
Not new. He played the super-smart bad guy in several eps last year.
Any one else think he'd be a much better villain if he wasn't SO frucking perfect? Everything he does always works out, even when it doesn't work out (like when they caught him and suddenly he was some other guy, wha?) Oh well, at least he got shot in the face and that didn't work out too well looks like.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Fir na tine Fir na tine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Everything he does always works out, even when it doesn't work out (like when they caught him and suddenly he was some other guy, wha?)
He was caught by the FBI and would have been prosecuted and probably imprisoned for a million years. However, he somehow made his US identity and background vanish. Simultaneously he created a phony identity as a foreign most wanted criminal so he could be transferred to their custody. From which he subsequently escaped.

His plan worked perfectly.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.