The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 PM

Apparently "Bones" is back. Do we care?

Sometimes I keep on watching programs that I've habitually watched even after I stop liking them. Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.

Last night was a 2-hour Bones, which I couldn't make myself watch, but I recorded it. I guess the first hour was the last episode of last season? And the second hour was a new episode that continued from it? I don't even remember how last season ended.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Probably to put off bagging up the trash and taking it down to the road for pickup tomorrow.

Is anyone else still watching Bones?

MODERATOR ADDS NOTE: The first many posts here are older, related to the 2012-2013 season. The season beginning in Sept 2013 is discussed at the end, beginning in Post #68 -- CKDH.

Last edited by C K Dexter Haven; 09-27-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM

They were both reruns.

Last episode has her fleeing DC, wanted for murder. Framed of course by some nutjob she helped put in prison. Previews for new season show her as a blonde on the run!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir na tine View Post
They were both reruns.
Then I'll just delete without watching (again). The DirecTV info note said the first showing was yesterday.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM

I used to enjoy Bones, but thought last season was pretty lame.

I'll watch this season, but it has to get way better for me to keep watching.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM

Lat season was AWFUL. Bones became even more rigid and robot-like. The baby thing did not add one bit. The show peaked a couple of years ago and went downhill.

I used to like to see what Cam was wearing, but last season she looked way too skinny... dangerously so.

Ok. Time to put out the trash...
Old 09-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

It seems they're going back to the same sort of arc as Gormagon, the Gravedigger, and so forth that they were doing in earlier seasons. This new guy has some potential; I'll give it a few episodes to decide if I like it enough to stick with it.

BTW, the season premiere is September 17.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM

I have never been a big fan of the show - sometimes when little else is on I'll watch it. As far as I am concerned, Angela is the best thing about the show, both the character and her actress.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I have never been a big fan of the show - sometimes when little else is on I'll watch it. As far as I am concerned, Angela is the best thing about the show, both the character and her actress.
Agreed. She does it for me.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Lat season was AWFUL. Bones became even more rigid and robot-like.
How can Emily Deschanel possibly be Zooey's sister?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:07 PM

I almost gave up on it last season, but my teenage son watches it and we always watched it together. I will give it another try this season, but I'm making no promises.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM

I gave up during season 4. The plots got worse and worse, the characters got stiffer and less likeable and yet the show focused more and more on them to the detriment of the actual mysteries. Finally I realized that the only character I actually liked was Zack, and that without him or decent mysteries the show was rather boring.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 PM

I love Booth, so I'll try to stick it out, but last season was pretty terrible.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 AM

My wife occasionally watches this, but I find it impossible to take seriously -- it's like watching high school kids solve mysteries. (High school kids who talk like Wikipedia entries and work in a multi-million-dollar, state of the art facility, but still.)
Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 AM

Meh. It was good in the first season, when everything was more believable. I don't see it sticking around for another season after this one.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Yeah, last season was pretty bad. If they don't turn things around in a hurry, they're done for. Then again, they've been on long enough they're probably close to done for anyway. As of this season, Boreanaz will now have played Booth for as long as he played Angel, btw.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 PM

Tonight's Episode

Why do I keep watching this crap?

Tonight's episode was all over the place. Bones accused of murder. On the run with baby and her dad. Angela being all cranky because Cam expects her to work on other stuff besides cracking the code that will clear Bones, blahblahblah.

Angela screwed her extremely mobile face into ever new distortions as she stared at her transparent screen puzzling over, well: puzzles. Ryan O'Neal does not look well. He seemed to be pumped full of something.

The show has bottomed out IMHO.

I want murders that are solved using the team's skills. With very little background. No family issues or babies or parents. Is that too much to ask?

I would love a spinoff with the two characters Dr. Clark Edison and Caroline "Cherie" Julian. Those are the only two I like on the show.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 PM

Bones as a blonde. Okay, I'm okay with that. More than okay. But she reverted. Oh, well.

Ryan O'Neal has been a poor actor for some time now, giving him so much screen time just doesn't work.

The season premiere just drifted all over. Trying to put in too many changes, advances, etc. in one go. One of the interns of the week is now the new Bones, no he isn't. What? Everything's cleared up, no it isn't.

I'm used to absurd computer usage and code breaking, but even that was so stupid and so wrong it makes the usual Hollywood stuff look scientific by comparison.

No car commercial embedded in the show this week? The only hint of product placement was someone using a computer in the cafe.

But worst of all was the "gotcha":

SPOILER:
So what if he had a fake name and was Egyptian? He's still a murderer. He's not going to be let go unless he had diplomatic immunity, which is impossible to get for some nobody living in the US for a long time under a fake name. The State Department wouldn't have allowed it. No ex post facto on that.

And he had a grandfather who fought the Japanese in WWII. So, how does that relate to being an Egyptian?

An episode by committee if there ever was one.

C'mon folks, I need more than a blond Bones to keep tuning in.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post

But worst of all was the "gotcha":

SPOILER:
So what if he had a fake name and was Egyptian? He's still a murderer. He's not going to be let go unless he had diplomatic immunity, which is impossible to get for some nobody living in the US for a long time under a fake name. The State Department wouldn't have allowed it. No ex post facto on that.

And he had a grandfather who fought the Japanese in WWII. So, how does that relate to being an Egyptian?

SPOILER:
I agree. The entire twist was stupid. It wouldn't make a bit of difference. Unless he was an accredited diplomat, and was properly registered as one or as the family member of one, it wouldn't matter.

I don't know why I still watch this show.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Its a show that I watch if it happens to be on when I'm flipping. Hasn't happened in a while.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM

The only reason that the twist worked was the mole FBI agent - but this whole thing was so beyond stupid it wasn't even worthy.

As I told SimWIfe - these writers cannot do 'long arcs' well - they need to keep it simpler - and fun - Zach should have been brought back to solve the problem.

And the big "off the grid" idea for Bones was staying in town and flower messages at the cemetary? really?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:44 PM

What the hell did they do to the theme music?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
The only reason that the twist worked was the mole FBI agent - but this whole thing was so beyond stupid it wasn't even worthy.
The FBI guy was such a dick during the whole episode and at the end they're all drinking and toasting each other? WTF?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I want murders that are solved using the team's skills. With very little background. No family issues or babies or parents. Is that too much to ask?
I'm with you.

The 'falsely accused of murder' plot has the stink of hack writer out of dialogue. All he can do is to try to 'add drama', forgetting about why we loved the show in the first place.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Seriously?! Angela! I can't stand the character, she represents the worst aspects of the show to me. It's notstop personal drama, plus the awful tendency of the show to never let anyone be normal. Is Booth an FBI agent who used to be a sniper? Well, yeah, but he's the BEST FBI agent who used to be the BEST sniper. Is Hodgins a skilled entomologist who would be helpful in a show about solving murders? Yeah but, he's got three doctorates and is sooper seekritly a gazillionaire. So is it somewhat plausible that an artist could be helpful for facial reconstruction? I guess. It is utterly ridiculous that someone with an undergrad degree in visual artists who studied computers a bit is just constantly building these super-advanced hollogram programs? Yup.

It used to be good "Turn your brain off" TV, something to put on in the background while you fold laundry or wash dishes, but lately I can't take the potential damage to my eye sockets from rolling so hard.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 AM

The show jumped the shark for me when Emily Deschanel got pregnant. If she's not as big as a house, then Bones isn't pregnant, and the kabuki dance between Bones and Booth continues and the so is somewhat as it has been.

The problem is that the show increasing centered around the romantic tension between the four main characters. I think the producers felt that they couldn't jerk the audience around forever with both, so they put Angela and Jack together. Then when Emily got pregnant, they had to put them together as well. When they killed off Vincent Nigel-Murray, I thought there were actually going to let the newborn baby die, and allow Bones and Booth's adventures to continue, but not so.

I can't think of many shows on TV that survive long, when the sexual tension (which the show was increasing largely built on) is eliminated by putting the main character together. Thinking Lois and Clark, Moonlighting etc.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I can't think of many shows on TV that survive long, when the sexual tension (which the show was increasing largely built on) is eliminated by putting the main character together. Thinking Lois and Clark, Moonlighting etc.
None of them do: Northern Exposure, Frasier, Cheers
Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abortion Fanatic View Post
Seriously?! Angela! I can't stand the character, she represents the worst aspects of the show to me. It's notstop personal drama, plus the awful tendency of the show to never let anyone be normal. Is Booth an FBI agent who used to be a sniper? Well, yeah, but he's the BEST FBI agent who used to be the BEST sniper. Is Hodgins a skilled entomologist who would be helpful in a show about solving murders? Yeah but, he's got three doctorates and is sooper seekritly a gazillionaire. So is it somewhat plausible that an artist could be helpful for facial reconstruction? I guess. It is utterly ridiculous that someone with an undergrad degree in visual artists who studied computers a bit is just constantly building these super-advanced hollogram programs? Yup.

Yeah the Angela character has always been the hardest for me to take. We had the premier facial reconstruction expert in the country work on a case of ours. Although he had a very good track record, on our case he was totally off. He concluded it was a white girl when in fact she was African-American. It looked nothing like her. Angela gets it perfectly right everytime with just a couple clicks or a wave of the hand.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
SPOILER:

My guess is a future episode will cover
SPOILER:
Mr. Computer Genius having altered some Egyptian bigshot's records, replacing them with his own.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 PM

i've just started watching bones. saw the first season, a bit of the second... and now edging in from the other end of the candle.

may i just say RATBURGER!!? that is genius!!! sheer genius. the chef is right, why kill when you can feed 'em a ratburger for years and years.

best vengeance ever!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 AM

Way too much baby time last season. Unless they tone it down this season, I'm outta here......
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM

Have they made a point of Sweets being skilled with a gun before?

This is two episodes in a row they've made pointed reference to it (last week him saying he was master rated or something and this week at the firing range).

If that's new (I don't remember anything before but could be forgetting) I assume this means he will be shooting someone this season.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
Have they made a point of Sweets being skilled with a gun before?

This is two episodes in a row they've made pointed reference to it (last week him saying he was master rated or something and this week at the firing range).

If that's new (I don't remember anything before but could be forgetting) I assume this means he will be shooting someone this season.
Its not new - I think it was last season they had him qualifying with it, much to Booth's disaproval, in Fact, Booth had to give him the final test and so forth and much bromance ensued.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I'm with you.
Thirded. I'm sick of seeing Booth and Brennan making out, and I'm sick of the babies. These days, they only spend about 10 minutes per episode showing the actual investigations.

I'm disappointed that the black intern is now full-time. He's such a boring, two-dimensional character (does he have any personality traits other than "prefers to stay professional"?) They really need to bring back Zack (perhaps as a Hannibal Lecter figure, assisting the team from prison).
Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM

Last night the intern was the well-educated country bumpkin who "ma'am's" Cam. I like him. Also the case took up more screen time than the relationship problems, but only barely.

Cam's hair is looking better and she's put on enough weight to bring her up to normal. Last season she was skeletal.

Angela still has very bad hair, a large mouth, huge teeth, and she actually managed to reconstruct some pages that had been run through a cross-cut shredder. Yeah. Right.

I'll probably keep watching it because I love pain.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Bones 11/12/2012

Tuesday's episode was quite good! Very much like the Bones of old.

The best thing was a reunion of all the interns (minus, Zack, of course). Tempe has been reading a book by Phil Jackson and tried to get the Interns to play together like a team. The dialogue among them was great. I'm only 20 mins into the episode, but so far no babies, and Booth and Bones are acting like they're not married.

I'd love this show to get back on track.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 PM

Wow. This episode was really great! The theme was for Veterans Day. The intern ensemble was terrific. Tempe even had feelings at the end. I hope they keep these writers around.

Cam is still scary thin, however.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM

It was sort of a "meh" episode to me. Which means better than a lot of recent ones.

Slate has an article about it that explains some production info about it. Note that it was an older, independent episode, not designed to fit into the current story arc. (No Sweets love-life story arc, for example.) So they were able to shift it for Veterans Day.

Slate's choice of which shows to cover is eclectic. Mad Men, Louie, etc., of course. But Bones?

It did not include all the interns. It left out Daisy. There were too many of them in this episode anyway and fitting in another one, especially one who just broke up with Sweets (but they couldn't reference) would have made it even worse.

It is just overdue to get rid of the lot. Bring back Zack via a retcon or Evil Twin and restore the show.

Why didn't they hit the local homeless shelters first looking for an ID, why go the the Pentagon first?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
It was sort of a "meh" episode to me. Which means better than a lot of recent ones.

Slate has an article about it that explains some production info about it. Note that it was an older, independent episode, not designed to fit into the current story arc. (No Sweets love-life story arc, for example.) So they were able to shift it for Veterans Day.

Slate's choice of which shows to cover is eclectic. Mad Men, Louie, etc., of course. But Bones?

It did not include all the interns. It left out Daisy. There were too many of them in this episode anyway and fitting in another one, especially one who just broke up with Sweets (but they couldn't reference) would have made it even worse.

It is just overdue to get rid of the lot. Bring back Zack via a retcon or Evil Twin and restore the show.

Why didn't they hit the local homeless shelters first looking for an ID, why go the the Pentagon first?
They went to the pentagon because he had shrapnel that placed him there and was wondering if anyone would recognize him (10 years later, yeah, sure).

While I liked how they pieced together the mystery and solved it - I get tired of the preachiness that has become standard for an episode of bones.

I did, however, like the interaction between the interns.

Zach was never an intern - he was Bones' grad student.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 AM

Ugh, what was all that 9/11 glurge in the latest episode? Seriously...

Definitely a jumping the shark moment for the series.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Let's get it over with ...

Bones, 12/3/12 "The Ghost in the Machine".

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Just when I was hoping that the show wasn't going to suck so much anymore, it's back to its worst form and then some.

Spoilers, ... but who cares anymore?

The entire episode is from the perspective of the victim-of-the-week's skull. I.e., the cast talks to the skull/camera. The skull is carried around. Nothing of note happens unless the skull is present and out of its box.

Which leads to incredible absurdities. Excuses have to be made so that suspects and such are interviewed with the skull present. The skull is taken out of the lab to Bones/Booth's home and then a crime scene. A car is brought into the middle of the lab so that the examination of the car is done in front of the skull.

Yeah, it was as bad as it sounds.

But wait, there's less! Cyndi Lauper was dragged out again for some dippy psychic crap.

And the usual unbelievable stuff was less believable. I.e., after the victim was killed, his body was moved to a pump house that was used as a homeless/teen hangout. But somehow no one noticed the putrid corpse there. And 3 spots on the skull magically lined up with 3 holes in the wall of the building. They were caused by Sun bleaching. Umm, the path of the sun beams changes each day plus the amount of time the sun would shine on a small area on a skull is very, very short. So much for Science.

If you are a remaining fan of Bones, don't watch this episode. Nothing happened that will affect future relationships and it will just make you angry. You need the space on your DVR anyway.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Let's get it over with ...

Bones, 12/3/12 "The Ghost in the Machine".

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Just when I was hoping that the show wasn't going to suck so much anymore, it's back to its worst form and then some.

Spoilers, ... but who cares anymore?

The entire episode is from the perspective of the victim-of-the-week's skull. I.e., the cast talks to the skull/camera. The skull is carried around. Nothing of note happens unless the skull is present and out of its box.

Which leads to incredible absurdities. Excuses have to be made so that suspects and such are interviewed with the skull present. The skull is taken out of the lab to Bones/Booth's home and then a crime scene. A car is brought into the middle of the lab so that the examination of the car is done in front of the skull.

Yeah, it was as bad as it sounds.

But wait, there's less! Cyndi Lauper was dragged out again for some dippy psychic crap.

And the usual unbelievable stuff was less believable. I.e., after the victim was killed, his body was moved to a pump house that was used as a homeless/teen hangout. But somehow no one noticed the putrid corpse there. And 3 spots on the skull magically lined up with 3 holes in the wall of the building. They were caused by Sun bleaching. Umm, the path of the sun beams changes each day plus the amount of time the sun would shine on a small area on a skull is very, very short. So much for Science.

If you are a remaining fan of Bones, don't watch this episode. Nothing happened that will affect future relationships and it will just make you angry. You need the space on your DVR anyway.
You missed the best part(s) -

Bone's crying over a victim
Said Spirit of the victim waving goodbye at the end of the episode
The 'ghost' fades between scenes.
A hidden Video recording in an MP3 collection.
How deadly accurate the Angelatron has become in facial reconstruction.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

The last two episodes were awards-show nomination episodes. They're emotionally manipulative and are about stuff that no one can ever be against. Next week's will probably feature a cancer victim or some such.

And, yeah, the technology is veering toward Star Trek territory. It's getting ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM

Got a new super-bad guy of the magnitude of the Gravedigger. He stole all Hodgins' money, but he's not dead. Cam put on a little weight, lookin' good, not anorexic any more. I'm still watching. Anyone else?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got a new super-bad guy of the magnitude of the Gravedigger. He stole all Hodgins' money, but he's not dead. Cam put on a little weight, lookin' good, not anorexic any more. I'm still watching. Anyone else?
Not new. He played the super-smart bad guy in several eps last year.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRobyn View Post
The last two episodes were awards-show nomination episodes. They're emotionally manipulative and are about stuff that no one can ever be against. Next week's will probably feature a cancer victim or some such.

And, yeah, the technology is veering toward Star Trek territory. It's getting ridiculous.
Considering that they started with the magic 3D hologram projector in the first season, we never left ridiculous.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo Ostragoth View Post
That must have been during the extended period when I wasn't paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
Considering that they started with the magic 3D hologram projector in the first season, we never left ridiculous.
Okay, maybe I just like looking at Cam. That might be it.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM

What the heck? One week we're goofing off doing stupid dance moves and acting silly and the next we're back to "serious business". This show is really starting to hack me off.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
Agreed. She does it for me.
And I'm all like - well, duh!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo Ostragoth View Post
Any one else think he'd be a much better villain if he wasn't SO frucking perfect? Everything he does always works out, even when it doesn't work out (like when they caught him and suddenly he was some other guy, wha?) Oh well, at least he got shot in the face and that didn't work out too well looks like.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Everything he does always works out, even when it doesn't work out (like when they caught him and suddenly he was some other guy, wha?)
He was caught by the FBI and would have been prosecuted and probably imprisoned for a million years. However, he somehow made his US identity and background vanish. Simultaneously he created a phony identity as a foreign most wanted criminal so he could be transferred to their custody. From which he subsequently escaped.

His plan worked perfectly.