The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM

American Horror Story: Asylum

The new season started last night, and I for one was impressed. The first episode was excellent, and the premise has a lot of potential.

However, what fuck with the scheduling? Due to a logjam at 10pm Weds I set my DVR to record the 11pm rebroadcast. I oh-so-cleverly set my recording to go until 11:02 because I like the "next week on" teasers and get annoyed when they're cut off.

My tape starts with about 45 seconds of the end of the 10pm premiere, goes to commercial, shows the "coming this season trailer" and then finally gets to the start of the 11pm airing maybe 4 minutes late. My scant 2 minute cushion isn't nearly enoughly to compensate, and it cuts off before the last 45 second on the front of my recording kick in. And the jump between the two makes no sense; I clearly missed something. Worse, there is no rebroadcast at all; not more AHS airings until the new episode next week.

What the fuck, FX? At this point I think I might just illegally download the show this season as a fuck you to such an asshole move. It's fine if your show goes long; Breaking Bad and Justified go long too. But their padding is scheduled, and they rebroadcast during the week. You guys seriously suck.
Advertisements  
Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM

My series recording was scheduled for 65 minutes, so it may be your local cable provider futzing up the schedule.

I loved it, although I hope Even Peters doesn't do that awful accent all season.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I like it, in a guilty pleasure sort of way.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Jessica Lange is amazing. That is all.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 AM

I loved it. Especially prick boy Adam Levine (doing a great impression of himself)
SPOILER:
getting his arm ripped off.

I think it's a nifty idea to use many of the same actors as last season in totally different roles.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:55 PM

I really enjoyed the first episode. Jessica Lange keeps impressing me, and I feel like I've discounted her acting career despite multiple awards and nominations.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 AM

Exorcism definitely not on the caliber of the Exorcist, but not bad. Obviously our young nun had inherited the demonization of Henry.

Not clear on characters' names yet, but old, creepy doctor is truly twisted. Loved his supper scene with the "whore". Then having her dress up as Sister, whoa! Was anyone surprised by the revelation? I have to admit that I was.

The caning was a tad gratuitous on the tushy department. Just saying.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 AM

What the heck happened to Chloe Sevigny? That diabtribe about masturbation was either poorly written or poorly acted. Maybe both. She's so sexy, how did that go so wrong?

"My mother used to put me to be with mittens on."

I laughed out loud.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Old creepy doctor was the farmer in "Babe", I just realized. I don't know if I like this season of AHS. I was terrified by Rubber Suit Man last year. This year, it's turning into the Crazy Jessica Lange show and more gross than creepy.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Whoops, that was (I liked touching myself so much) "My mother put me to bed with mittens on."
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Disturbing but I just can't look away. I will say that the first season was much easier to swallow.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Disturbing but I just can't look away. I will say than the first season was much easier to swallow.
Agreed. This season is completely different thnt the first so I like them both, but in completely different ways. I also agree with the comment that it's turning into the Crazy Jessica Lange Show, but that is a-ok with me. This time around it's all about the visuals and the oddness and the "how far will they take it" aspect.

On a side note, when they play the "Dominque" song (which is often) I always picture a scene from Everybody Loves Raymond where Ray is mocking Deborah's visiting sister by singing that song with a towel on his head.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Ha! Me too! That's the first thing I thought of! Ray with a shirt on his head!!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Last season wasn't overly grounded in reality, but season 2 has taken a sharp turn into the fantastical. Aliens in episode 1 and demons in episode 2? Well, I'm still definitely a fan but maybe ease off the supernatural and extraterrestrial just a tad.

I can't help thinking that "spanking boys" is the personal kink of the gay show-runner if only because they keep putting girls in "about to be spanked" situations and then not getting spanked, while the boys get prolonged spanking scenes.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-25-2012 at 04:53 PM..
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 AM

I think we all know who the true serial killer is, don't we?

I love the "Jessica Lange is Crazy Show," no matter the premise. I don't know if I buy her accent completely. Evan Peters' is better.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I don't know if I like this season of AHS. I was terrified by Rubber Suit Man last year. This year, it's turning into the Crazy Jessica Lange show and more gross than creepy.
I was coming in to post something similar. I remember watching the first episode of Season 1, with the two boys going down in the basement, and I was practically hiding behind my couch. So far this season (and I know its only two episodes in) I haven't yet felt the urge to cover my eyes. Maybe it's me -- maybe haunted houses are just intrinsically scarier to me than serial killers, demonic possession, and sadistic doctors.

All that said, I am still enjoying the show -- just in a different, and less heart-racing, way.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM

I was much more interested in the first season than I am in this year's. I think the problem is that there was no slow, creeping dread this year. No period where we got to know some of the characters and come to care about them a bit. Instead, we were just thrown into the asylum and presented with disturbing things happening.

It could also be that the supernatural is a bit more over the top this season, as pointed out above, with demons and aliens on top of each other with no coherent thread between them.

Regardless of the reason, I don't find myself caring about any of the characters this season. It makes the show feel a lot more voyeuristic, where I'm just watching bad things happen to people, one after the next. Not sure I'm going to stick around for the long haul this time.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
I remember watching the first episode of Season 1, with the two boys going down in the basement, and I was practically hiding behind my couch. So far this season (and I know its only two episodes in) I haven't yet felt the urge to cover my eyes.
Same here!

And I'm also still enjoying the show, anyway. I'm definitely willing to give the season more than a couple of episodes to find its groove...
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 PM

I just watched episode 3, and though the show has some hilariously fun bits (Satan-Nun wanting to stay to watch the Christians getting eaten by lions and drunk Jessica Lange), it is getting way too OTT for my taste. Aliens, demons, zombies, Dr Mengele chopping bits off people, serial killer, batshit insane people, nuns who whip people with their pants down - I think that subtle is much scarier. If it keeps going in this vein, I won't keep watching.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM

It's a show from the Glee and Nip/Tuck people. I think "subtle" is pretty much off the table.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheDevil View Post
I just watched episode 3, and though the show has some hilariously fun bits (Satan-Nun wanting to stay to watch the Christians getting eaten by lions and drunk Jessica Lange), it is getting way too OTT for my taste. Aliens, demons, zombies, Dr Mengele chopping bits off people, serial killer, batshit insane people, nuns who whip people with their pants down - I think that subtle is much scarier. If it keeps going in this vein, I won't keep watching.

I just feel like they are trying to JAM every single monster they can into it, and nothing ties together: Serial killer, aliens, demons/Satan, vicious nuns/nurse cratchett, crazy sadistic doctor, cannibalistic mutants...

It's ridiculous.

I'm still going to watch a little longer, but I wish there was a story here somewhere.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 PM

I thought last night's was great. Any other show, the huge plot twist would have been jumping the shark, but I thought it was great.

In case there's any confusion what I'm talking about, it's

SPOILER:
The new inmate claiming to be Anne Frank. And it sure looks like she really is. And, of course, the Monsignor being already familiar with James Cromwell's Dr. Mengele-oriented proclivities, and protecting him.
And all the other horrible, crazy stuff going on is great too.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Wow. Last night was just one big WTF / oh no they didn't!

I'm still not sure what the heck is going on, which almost seems to be beside the point. Is Lizzie's crime paralelling that of Lizzie Borden a coincidence? Did it even happen the way she described it the second time? Is Dr. Arden making some kind of Frankenstinian monster out of Chloe Sevigny's legs and Adam Levine's arm?
What was Taylor Lautner(I know it wasn't really him) doing in a 1964 insane asylum? How many takes before Zachary Quinto could utter the line "can you feel his tumescence?" without busting out laughing?
It's some crazy shit and I'm enjoying every minute of it (with the possible exception of watching Sarah Paulson puke in a bucket)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
I just feel like they are trying to JAM every single monster they can into it, and nothing ties together: Serial killer, aliens, demons/Satan, vicious nuns/nurse cratchett, crazy sadistic doctor, cannibalistic mutants...

It's ridiculous.

I'm still going to watch a little longer, but I wish there was a story here somewhere.
I really like the feel/mood of the show but I wish they'd start moving the plot along a bit more. Instead they added the Nazi thing and the current day kids in masks terrorizing Adam Levine and his girlfriend.

I watched the last three eps last night. I didn't follow why the cute blonde nun's character changed. She was very meek at first and then (without any reason that I could see) became very self confident.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Is Dr. Arden making some kind of Frankenstinian monster out of Chloe Sevigny's legs and Adam Levine's arm?
Just to be clear (not sure if you're serious here) - the Adam Levine scenes are taking place in present day, abandoned Briarcliff; Dr. Arden's scenes are in 1964.
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post
I watched the last three eps last night. I didn't follow why the cute blonde nun's character changed. She was very meek at first and then (without any reason that I could see) became very self confident.
Yeah, I didn't think that was very clearly done at all, but she's apparently been possessed by the demon from the exorcism. If you recall, she faints in that scene (when the exorcised kid dies). We do see her later in that episode, and she appears mostly normal, but in the next she's her new self, and if I recall correctly, there is a flash of weirdness about her eyes when the Mexican woman calls her Satan.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I really like the feel/mood of the show but I wish they'd start moving the plot along a bit more. Instead they added the Nazi thing and the current day kids in masks terrorizing Adam Levine and his girlfriend.

I think the nun is supposed to have been possessed by the spirit they tried to exorcise from the "chronic masturbator" whose parents had him committed (?)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I think the nun is supposed to have been possessed by the spirit they tried to exorcise from the "chronic masturbator" whose parents had him committed (?)
The possessed boy died during the exorcism. The chronic masturbator is a different character.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ed View Post
she's apparently been possessed by the demon from the exorcism. If you recall, she faints in that scene (when the exorcised kid dies). We do see her later in that episode, and she appears mostly normal, but in the next she's her new self, and if I recall correctly, there is a flash of weirdness about her eyes when the Mexican woman calls her Satan.
Also, the crucifix on the wall shakes when she lays down to sleep.

She's definitely possessed.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randwill View Post
The possessed boy died during the exorcism. The chronic masturbator is a different character.
I seem to recall that masturbation was mentioned at the beginning of the meeting with the parents. Not sure if it was in relation to their boy, the chronic masturbator, or just something they always like to touch on (so to speak).

Thanks to those above who cleared up the possesion thing with the cute little blonde nun.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I seem to recall that masturbation was mentioned at the beginning of the meeting with the parents. Not sure if it was in relation to their boy, the chronic masturbator, or just something they always like to touch on (so to speak).

Thanks to those above who cleared up the possesion thing with the cute little blonde nun.
Yes, I was refering to Sister Jude telling the parents she'd dealt with chronic masturbators before (apparently a lot), but I just meant the boy who died during the exorcism.

For some reason I keep missing the Adam Levine scenes - possibly a subconscious effort on my part - and I'm not quite following what's going on there. I saw the first episode and the next time I recall seeing him he was lying in what looked like Dr. Arden's dungeon / operating room. Obviously I have it all mixed up because I could have sworn someone in '64 found him (?) which confused me further. So someone in the present day has found his one armed corpse? What about skanky wife?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, I was refering to Sister Jude telling the parents she'd dealt with chronic masturbators before (apparently a lot), but I just meant the boy who died during the exorcism.

For some reason I keep missing the Adam Levine scenes - possibly a subconscious effort on my part - and I'm not quite following what's going on there. I saw the first episode and the next time I recall seeing him he was lying in what looked like Dr. Arden's dungeon / operating room. Obviously I have it all mixed up because I could have sworn someone in '64 found him (?) which confused me further. So someone in the present day has found his one armed corpse? What about skanky wife?
I don't think anyone found him. In the first episode he got his arm cut off and then in the second one he was stabbed to death. I don't remember seeing him again since that.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:

His wife managed to get the knife away from "Bloody Face" and stab him (with some help from her stabbed husband), then she started to go to get help, before running into another Bloody Face and there was also a third. At one point, one of them took out a gun and shot her. Then they both started talking - they seem to be older teenagers that were dressed up (commenting "Serves her right, after what she did to Joey (or something like that)). Then one of them said, "Did you see that guy's arm? What did that?" and then the "real" Bloody Face comes into the room and kills them both.

I think that's what happened, some of the details may be a little off.

Last edited by Poysyn; 11-13-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Old 11-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Thanks, Poysyn and E of D. I read he's supposed to be in more episodes, so not sure how that's gonna happen but I'll try to pay closer attention.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Poysyn and E of D. I read he's supposed to be in more episodes, so not sure how that's gonna happen but I'll try to pay closer attention.
They'll probably fill in the interim period. In the first season they jumped around from year to year alot. (I know that's not a word but it serves the purpose. The purpose being to have meaning and be concise. The latter being offset by my typing this.....doh!)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Last night's big twist: I was not expecting that.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM

This season is a snoozer!

I've given it 3 episodes, and still have not been able to get into this season. What a shame, since last season had me on the edge of my seat! Maybe next season will be more interesting- and include some character development!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Last night's big twist: I was not expecting that.
No kidding! I'm happy about what it means about Kit though.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcono83 View Post
I've given it 3 episodes, and still have not been able to get into this season. What a shame, since last season had me on the edge of my seat! Maybe next season will be more interesting- and include some character development!
I like it but not as much as last year...we'll have to see what happens.

I think they really focus on the telling of the story and not so much the story itself. It would be so much better if they did both. It's about time they more fully tie the 1964 story in with the few present day scenes. Plus all the intervening time leaves alot of opportunity.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 PM

I was really digging this season until this most recent episode, which nosedived into all-style-no-substance territory. Cool twist, yeah, but I was too distracted by all the goofy camera work and lighting effects to care.

I did chuckle at the reaction to the "monster." The little girl sees Chloe, screams and runs to tell the schoolmarm. Said teacher then walks over with group of kids in tow, sees Chloe and she screams just as rabidly as all the kids. hehheh.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 AM

Was I the only one who thought "Anne Frank" was going to throw that baby in the fireplace in the last scene?

I have no idea what to think of this show. The first season was cool, a modern take on the traditional haunted house story. What is the take of the second season? Sci-fi alien abductions? 1950s hard boiled film noir? Slasher story? Torture porn? They are just throwing way too much in at the same time. I don't even know what is important to the plot and what is just something weird that is there to be weird.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Was I the only one who thought "Anne Frank" was going to throw that baby in the fireplace in the last scene?

I have no idea what to think of this show. The first season was cool, a modern take on the traditional haunted house story. What is the take of the second season? Sci-fi alien abductions? 1950s hard boiled film noir? Slasher story? Torture porn? They are just throwing way too much in at the same time. I don't even know what is important to the plot and what is just something weird that is there to be weird.
Well put. The first season was great story telling plus good visuals, while this season seems to be mostly good / shocking visuals. So, while I'm still enthralled with the "look" of it, I'm missing the good story telling. I've read that a deal for a third season has been made so it must be appealing to a lot of people, and that's cool. I like it, for what it is, it's just not what I was expecting, based on the first season.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 AM

That cute, little, blonde, possessed nun is hottt!!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Seems like everybody is losing interest in this one. Maybe still watching but not worthy of comment.

I wonder why the heck they introduced the Angel of Death character just now. All I can think is that the actress (the old maid from Season 1) had a scheduling conflict.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Seems like everybody is losing interest in this one. Maybe still watching but not worthy of comment.

I wonder why the heck they introduced the Angel of Death character just now. All I can think is that the actress (the old maid from Season 1) had a scheduling conflict.
The last thing this series needed was another element. I won't be surprised if they bring super heroes into it in the second half of the season.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Aw, I still like it. The actual gore last night made my skin crawl.

I wondered about the Angel of Death only making an introduction last night, too (and her name isn't just Aramaic, it's ancient Aramaic!), but whatever. For some reason, they've never chosen to show us death through the dying person's point of view before last night.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 AM

After last week's, and yesterday's, endless torment of that poor woman, I really only watch this out of the corner of my eye (while doing something else) now. I'm still interested, but can't really apply myself, it's just too gross. Last season was much better.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 PM

They have apparently decided to double-down on the "jumbled mess" approach to this season. Angel of Death? Give me a break.

Now I'm just waiting for Buffy to show up and slay them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
I wondered about the Angel of Death only making an introduction last night, too (and her name isn't just Aramaic, it's ancient Aramaic!), but whatever. For some reason, they've never chosen to show us death through the dying person's point of view before last night.
Well, in season one we saw the daughter's suicide from her perspective, though that was chock full of misdirection.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
That cute, little, blonde, possessed nun is hottt!!!!
Lily Rabe is the daughter of actress Jill Clayburgh. She really stood out last season, but she's taking over the show in this one.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 AM

Just caught up on the last three episodes, and I'm loving this season. Yeah it's a mess, but it's a glorious mess. I'm really enjoying the wtf craziness, and the actors are fantastic. Jessica Lange, Lily Rabe, and Sarah Paulson are pretty much made of awesome.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 AM

I admit, I'm of an opposite view. Last week's episode was my last straw.. I'll try it again next season.