The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Question about the Muppets

A completely unimportant question that is bothering me (so it's perfect for the Dope).

During the Muppet Show and the Muppet Movie, Miss Piggy is in love with Kermit and imagines that they will get married and have little frig (or pog?) babies. Kermit does not reciprocate and is generally annoyed with Piggy. Then while my son is watching one of their numerous crappy later movies Kermit and Piggy are girlfriend/boyfriend.

When did that happen?
Advertisements  
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM

The backstory in (a lot of? all of?) the movies is always that they were in love at some point prior to the movie, but then Kermit broke it off because he couldn't handle it.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if I can pinpoint it more specifically than: after The Muppets Take Manhattan. As you'll recall, that movie ends with a wedding scene in the show-within-a-show of "Manhattan Melodies". Kermit notices that the guy officiating isn't who it's supposed to be (as in, Piggy subbed in a real priest), and it's left kinda vague as to whether Piggy sneakily married Kermit for real.

Then, Jim Henson died. The next movie, The Muppet Christmas Carol, has Kermit and Piggy playing the roles of Bob Cratchett and wife, with children. There's no friction, and even though they're playing parts, you'd expect to see some of the usual friction there, but you don't. Ever since then, they've been pretty "out" as a couple.

Last edited by Max Torque; 12-06-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Which movie? Were they playing other characters in the movie (as in, for example, Muppet Christmas Carol)? What was the nature of their relationship?

In any case, you may wish to consult the Muppet Wiki.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Which Muppet Movie are you talking about? In the one that had the song The Rainbow Connection, Kermit was head over whatever-the-back-of-a-frog's-feet-are-called in LU-U-U-UR-R-RV-V-VE with Piggy, and it broke his little green heart when she ditched him in the restaurant.

And it was always my sense during the prime-time program that they were in fact an item; but he didn't let that interfere with his commitment to professionalism.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

And in the recent Jason Segall movie, it was obvious that Kermie and Piggy had shared a home together at one point (the front gates of his crumbling estate had both their faces on it). But as their success faltered, she skipped town and went to Paris to be the editor of Vogue.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
And it was always my sense during the prime-time program that they were in fact an item; but he didn't let that interfere with his commitment to professionalism.
Piggy thought they were. Kermit was not so sure. She even tried to trick him into marriage just like in The Muppets Take Manhattan but were saved by Lou Zealand and his Boomerang Fish Act.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

I don't think they ever had any kind of continuity on this. Their status suited the story and it was never really set in stone.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Well, whatever the story, we can assume it's heartfelt.

And stomachfelt.

And armfelt.

Muppets are made of felt is what I'm going for, here.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Miss Piggy had a strong enough personality that it didn't really matter whether Kermit realized that they were an item: She said they were, and therefore they were.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
A completely unimportant question that is bothering me (so it's perfect for the Dope).

During the Muppet Show and the Muppet Movie, Miss Piggy is in love with Kermit and imagines that they will get married and have little frig (or pog?) babies.
The boys will be frogs, the girls will be pigs.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Piggy thought they were. Kermit was not so sure. She even tried to trick him into marriage just like in The Muppets Take Manhattan but were saved by Lou Zealand and his Boomerang Fish Act.
I vividly remember watching that when I was a kid -- I was seriously worried that Kermit was going to fall for the trick! How he gets out of it (and how they set up the Boomerang Fish thing earlier in the episode) is brilliant, and may get my vote for Funniest Muppet Scene Ever. I was crying from laughing so hard.

As for the Kermit/Piggy relationship, even as I kid I always thought he really did love her, in his own uptight, repressed way. He could just never bring himself to admit it/do anything about it because of A) fear of commitment, and B) the knowledge that Piggy was, let's face it, a delusional, manipulative, violent lunatic. A lovable one, but still.

(This is all in regard to the TV show and the three Henson films; I haven't seen any of the others and do not consider them canon, personally. )
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM

What about the Muppet Family Christmas? Henson even appeared at the very end. Miss Piggy and Kermit traded presents and were obviously together.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

If they ever do get married and have kids, I hope they don't ever let Elmo babysit!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
And in the recent Jason Segall movie, it was obvious that Kermie and Piggy had shared a home together at one point (the front gates of his crumbling estate had both their faces on it). But as their success faltered, she skipped town and went to Paris to be the editor of Vogue.
Shouldn't that be Frogue?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
During the Muppet Show and the Muppet Movie, Miss Piggy is in love with Kermit and imagines that they will get married and have little frig (or pog?) babies.
I'm In Love With A Big Blue Frog

Well, I'm not worried about our kids
I know they'll turn out neat
They'll be great looking 'cause they'll have my face
Great swimmers 'cause they'll have his feet
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 AM

In Muppet Treasure Island, they were former lovers, and apparently Kermit had dumped Miss Piggy.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Well, whatever the story, we can assume it's heartfelt.

And stomachfelt.

And armfelt.

Muppets are made of felt is what I'm going for, here.
that's a handful of deep thoughts there.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Whatever fit the narrative and is funny, I think.

But I get the sense that the default is that they are in love, but he's got shit to do while she really doesn't. And she's an id and he's a superego. And they embody '70s stereotypes about men and women.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Between the Gonzo is an alien thread and this one, methinks we Dopers might be spending a wee bit too much time pondering the canon of the Muppets.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
Between the Gonzo is an alien thread and this one, methinks we Dopers might be spending a wee bit too much time pondering the canon of the Muppets.
And not enough time compiling and dissecting the apocrypha? Hmmm, you may be right. Perhaps we should be more dedicated fans.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Miss Piggy had a strong enough personality that it didn't really matter whether Kermit realized that they were an item: She said they were, and therefore they were.
That's a myth! A myth!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post
And not enough time compiling and dissecting the apocrypha? Hmmm, you may be right. Perhaps we should be more dedicated fans.
Now *that* brings a tear to my eye (from all the laughter). The idea of Muppet apocrypha gives me hope in humanity once again.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
That's a myth! A myth!
Yeth?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
That's a myth! A myth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flodnak View Post
Yeth?
Yeah, but she's my "mith"!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Bongo View Post
I vividly remember watching that when I was a kid -- I was seriously worried that Kermit was going to fall for the trick! How he gets out of it (and how they set up the Boomerang Fish thing earlier in the episode) is brilliant, and may get my vote for Funniest Muppet Scene Ever. I was crying from laughing so hard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3urO8Y0sc2I
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
If they ever do get married and have kids, I hope they don't ever let Elmo babysit!
Really?

:-/
Old 12-08-2012, 04:03 PM

I used to wonder if Miss Piggy would either lay eggs or give birth to tadpoles, and have to keep them in the bathtub, and get in the tub to allow them to suckle from her eight teats, or if she would give birth to a litter of green piglets.

Last edited by BMax; 12-08-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
I thought the only cannon on the Muppets was the one that Gonzo was shot out of.

Last edited by zamboniracer; 12-08-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMax View Post
I used to wonder if Miss Piggy would either lay eggs or give birth to tadpoles, and have to keep them in the bathtub, and get in the tub to allow them to suckle from her eight teats, or if she would give birth to a litter of green piglets.
I used to wonder if she'd become "Mrs the Frog" or keep her maiden name.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I used to wonder if she'd become "Mrs the Frog" or keep her maiden name.
Kermit often called her just "Piggy," so I think that's her first name (or nickname, if you want to get technical). It's that like that Southern custom of placing a title even in front of a first name. So she'd be Piggy the Frog, I think. (Her real name being Petunia the Frog nee Pig, I think.)
Old 12-09-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Kermit often called her just "Piggy," so I think that's her first name (or nickname, if you want to get technical). It's that like that Southern custom of placing a title even in front of a first name. So she'd be Piggy the Frog, I think. (Her real name being Petunia the Frog nee Pig, I think.)
It's actually Pigathia Lee, according to the wiki. Besides Piggy being the meglomaniac she is she'd keep her maiden name, at least for professional purposes.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Which movie? Were they playing other characters in the movie (as in, for example, Muppet Christmas Carol)? What was the nature of their relationship?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Which Muppet Movie are you talking about? In the one that had the song The Rainbow Connection, Kermit was head over whatever-the-back-of-a-frog's-feet-are-called in LU-U-U-UR-R-RV-V-VE with Piggy, and it broke his little green heart when she ditched him in the restaurant..
While there have been numerous movies featuring the muppets, only one was called The Muppet Movie.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMax View Post

brain bleach

THERE IS NO GOD!

nightmare fuel

etc, etc ...