The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Comments on Cecil's Columns/Staff Reports

Old 12-07-2012, 08:43 AM

PCMS

I was reading Cecil's column about what causes "piss shiver"... excuse me, post-micturition convulsion syndrome (PCMS). I wish to add to the speculation... and make no mistake, this is speculation. But I wonder if PCMS could be a mild form of vasovagal response?

One of the triggers is dehydration, which has an obvious link to the urination process, and also would explain why PCMS isn't experienced during defecation. And the vasovagal response itself is essentially a nervous system response, so a brief shaking or tremor wouldn't be out of the question.

Just another thought to throw into the pot...
Advertisements  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM

Sorry, forgot to post the link to the article in question:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...es-piss-shiver
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HongKongCV View Post
post-micturition convulsion syndrome (PCMS).
Just looking for clarification, are you talking about post-micturition convulsion syndrome (PMCS) or post-convulsion micturition syndrome (PCMS)? I suspect the former, but want to be sure.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 12-07-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Yeah... at times I have dyslexic fingers. My apologies. The quasi-scientific term coined in Cecil's column for the more colloquially named "piss shiver".
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah... at times I have dyslexic fingers. My apologies. The quasi-scientific term coined in Cecil's column for the more colloquially named "piss shiver".
Okay, thanks.

I'm more of an authority on PCMS, so will refrain from comment on PMCS.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:50 AM

Urethral thrill?

I thought PCMS is related to the small spasms at the end of micturition that allow the urethra +/- bladder to empty completely, which are parasympathetic in origin.
They vary considerably from person to person, that is, some men have very strong 'urethral thrills' similar to ejaculation, while others are undetectable.
And I didn't just reply to be able to type the words 'urethral thrill', but it's a nifty bonus.

Last edited by dub1; 12-09-2012 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: grammar and style persnicketiness
Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM

I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about. Could somebody maybe fill me in on what this "piss shiver" is about? I have never experienced nor heard of this before so I am under the assumption that this you're all unraveling some sort of conspiracy aimed at keeping me in the dark about my cyborg penis.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Since it's on the front page, I'll mention here my theory that the body does this to help alleviate stresses that build up when the volume of urine is removed from the torso.

Also, the column alternates between PMCS and PCMS, so I don't blame the OP for that.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 PM

As a former paramedic who now works in the ER, my theory is that PMCS is an inherited trait to combat "vagalling out". When the body loses a large volume, such as a large bowel movement or letting loose an overfull bladder, it may cause a vasovagal episode via lowering of heart rate or blood pressure. Like with many inherited traits, it is not so beneficial at times.

I would love to see or do such a study, but I am not in a situation conducive to grants.

Yes, some previous replies are similar.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmysteve View Post
I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about. Could somebody maybe fill me in on what this "piss shiver" is about?
Did you read the column? Some people when they urinate will often experience a shiver that runs up the spine, kinda like a shiver you might get when you experience something creepy, or possibly from the cold. It is a limited duration thing.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebetty View Post
As a former paramedic who now works in the ER, my theory is that PMCS is an inherited trait to combat "vagalling out".
Doesn't seem vasovagal to me. Usually vasovagal responses cause a reflex fall in blood pressure with reflex bradycardia, nausea, light-headedness and diaphoresis. Those are not the signs/sx associated with PMCS.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Just another thought to throw into the pot...
Assuming one has a pot to piss in.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Doesn't seem vasovagal to me. Usually vasovagal responses cause a reflex fall in blood pressure with reflex bradycardia, nausea, light-headedness and diaphoresis. Those are not the signs/sx associated with PMCS.
I mean it's an opposing action to prevent/overcome the vasovagal reflex.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I mean it's an opposing action to prevent/overcome the vasovagal reflex.
Hmmm....

Could be!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As a former paramedic who now works in the ER, my theory is that PMCS is an inherited trait to combat "vagalling out". When the body loses a large volume, such as a large bowel movement or letting loose an overfull bladder, it may cause a vasovagal episode via lowering of heart rate or blood pressure. Like with many inherited traits, it is not so beneficial at times.
As noted by Cecil, though, this doesn't appear to happen after bowel movements.

Powers &8^]
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM

It onlyhappens to me on cold days and when I'm standing up. I recently received a kidney transplant after 4 years of dialysis and it never occured while I was on dialysis. The kidney I got was from an anonymous woman so now I have the urge to sit down more than stand.