The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Isn't being on the Island of Misfit Toys like being on Gilligan's Island. When the doll said "We'll never get off this island," I thought "Maryanne." And the spotted elephant is like the Skipper, etc.

ETA: King Moonracer goes around the entire world every night to find unwanted toys, yet Santa only delivers toys one night a year. What a lazy butt!

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 12-06-2012 at 04:12 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

nitpick:

"Mary Anne"

Last edited by BMalion; 12-06-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
...Also, it's not clear at the end that the misfit toys are really getting delivered to kids. They're the first ones out of the sack, and they're probably just being dropped into the sea before the real deliveries start. The owl that swims is the only one who survives, ironically.
So... you're saying it's really a horror movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Water_(film)
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

What disturbs me is that now King Moonracer is going to have to find new footmen.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMalion View Post
What disturbs me is that now King Moonracer is going to have to find new footmen.
What exactly does a Moonracer footman do? I mean the elephant got to wear that little hat, but it doesn't appear Moonracer has a whole lot actually going on in the castle. Sure he was "holding court" and all... but the IofMT doesn't seem to be a place that gets a lot of a lot of dignitaries or other visitors.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

This thread has descended into madness more quickly than usual, but then, we got a late start this year.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
What exactly does a Moonracer footman do? I mean the elephant got to wear that little hat, but it doesn't appear Moonracer has a whole lot actually going on in the castle. Sure he was "holding court" and all... but the IofMT doesn't seem to be a place that gets a lot of a lot of dignitaries or other visitors.
That doesn't necessarily mean he's not busy. Much of Moonracer's time is taken up hearing and resolving the various disputes that arise among the denizens of the IofMT. Basically, he's a glorified small claims court judge. His footmen essentially function as baliffs.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean he's not busy. Much of Moonracer's time is taken up hearing and resolving the various disputes that arise among the denizens of the IofMT. Basically, he's a glorified small claims court judge. His footmen essentially function as baliffs.
I can't believe this. The misfit toys seem to be suffering from collective low self-esteem. It's hard to imagine any sort of internal disputes arising from that lot. If there was some degree of bitterness reulting from their isolation on the island, then squabbles might erupt. But instead, all we see is gloom and self loathing.

The jobs on the IofMT all seem pretty much created to give the toys something to do. Note how even Rudolph was skeptical of "a Jack-in-the-Box as a sentry??" If there was any real danger sentry Charlie could only bounce awkwardly after the invader. He'd easily be silenced by a real threat. Yes, I admit Charlie was on the job when Rudoph and friends first arrived on the Island. But where was he to sound the alarm when Rudolph took off on his own? If it was me I'd have put one of the toy soldiers as sentry. Sure they didn't seem able to talk and only sort of bumped around clumsily during the singing/dancing sequence, but at least a toy soldier would look the part.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And what exactly is the point of the little red hat? He looked more like a bellhop. Christ, can King Moonracer humiliate the toys any further?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
And what exactly is the point of the little red hat? He looked more like a bellhop. Christ, can King Moonracer humiliate the toys any further?
He can and he does, but we don't see that part, as "Rudolph" was meant as prime-time family entertainment.

But since when is wearing a hat which makes one look like a bellhop is essentially demeaning? Heck, Santa himself got his start as a bellhop at an overnight bath house in Istanbul.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Did King Moonracer make the misfits "service" him?

Ugh.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

OK, we are being way too hard on Moonracer. He's running a charity on what appears to be completely his own money. He rescues the toys. He provides them with "jobs." He ultimately gives his morose playthings a chance for a second life. These token jobs may be demeaning, but at least it gives the toys something-- a purpose if you will. Perhaps the benevolent lion should also offer the misfit toys the counselling they so desperately need, but he may be operating on a budget.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Ugh.
Individual accounts were subject to considerable prompting by investigators, and can't necessarily be considered reliable. What all seem to agree on is that the nightly mane-combing duty was an hours-long, exhausting affair. Some have said that a hierarchical system of favoritism permeated the island, but even this complaint could've just been a sour-grapes grumbling from toys who tended toward resentful malcontentedness.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

"Can you show me on the doll wear the lion touched you?"

"But, I'm a doll, this too sureal!"
Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a35362 View Post
And Rudolph's never done the run before -- and he's the lead reindeer, the point man. I wonder if his dad or the other reindeer spent the whole night calling instructions to him.
Technically, Santa does the steering. That's what reins are for. So Rudolph just has to glow and pull. I know, all the effort and training and extensive testing process just to be a pre-industrialization engine.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I know, all the effort and training and extensive testing process just to be a pre-industrialization engine.
It's understandable, though. It's hard to fly if you can't even jump into the air.

Those who failed to make the grade ended up cleaning out the stables or - far riskier - selling insurance to polar bears.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
...Those who failed to make the grade ended up cleaning out the stables or - far riskier - selling insurance to polar bears.
The really persuasive ones could sell ice to... oh, never mind.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
Those who failed to make the grade ended up cleaning out the stables or - far riskier - selling insurance to polar bears.
Is there a harder group to get into then Santa's delivery team? Rudolph has been the only deer to crack the squad in these past many many years. Seems like a fool's dream Comet is offering up to all those gullible young deer. "You all want to pull Santa's sleigh some day, so you must learn to fly!" Yeah, right.

Otherwise, the aviation skill seems sort of pointless for reindeer.

As to selling insurance to polar bears, the northern ursines don't seem so much of a threat to the reindeer. Rudolph plays with a couple of young ones during the show, and all he gets is a stern lecture from an elder bear.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Is there a harder group to get into then Santa's delivery team? Rudolph has been the only deer to crack the squad in these past many many years. Seems like a fool's dream Comet is offering up to all those gullible young deer. "You all want to pull Santa's sleigh some day, so you must learn to fly!" Yeah, right.
True, but some of us were taught by our fathers to leave some milk and cookies for Santa, and that Santa preferred a couple of shots of vodka mixed in. So, all it takes is one careless pass by a tippling St. Nick through a windmill farm, and suddenly the whole team's in casts and on crutches, and you're calling up the second squad.

Quote:
As to selling insurance to polar bears, the northern ursines don't seem so much of a threat to the reindeer. Rudolph plays with a couple of young ones during the show, and all he gets is a stern lecture from an elder bear.
True, but the risk of selling insurance to polar bears is not so much the danger of accidentally feeding one a foreleg while they're signing the paperwork, it's that polar bears, being naturally risk-seeking with their investments, are notoriously reluctant to consider any kind of insurance in their asset allocations. So it's a tough way to, uh, make a buck, if you'll pardon the expression. At least cleaning out the stalls provides a, uh, stable income.

Last edited by Enter the Flagon; 12-11-2012 at 12:38 AM..
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 PM

So this show ran Friday night, and I decided to watch it, since I hadn't in a long time.

I just want to echo the observations before. Everyone is pretty much a dick. Santa is the dick-in-chief. You'd think the father of Christmas Spirit would display a bit more of it a bit more often.

I notice the first line of elves working on toys all look identical until we get to Hermey. Later we see a fat elf and a tall elf.

The food always looks atrocious. A purple steak, the same color as the plate, and even a purple apple.

Yukon Cornellius carries around a pistol but never thinks to use it on the "Bumble". Must be because "Bumbles are bulletproof, don't cha know?"

The first time the Abominble snowmonster wanders past Rudolph and Hermey, all we see is his legs, which are two huge pillars. Later, his legs are stubby short for his round body.

I also noticed the opening credits, when listing songs sung by Burl Ives, they messed up the typography and say they're by "BURI IVES".

Fireball, another reindeer kid, has hair. None of the other reindeer do, but he's not isolated and picked on.

The bird that swims instead of flies gets thrown out of the sleigh without an umbrella-chute. And what's with that, anyway? Santa usually makes stops and goes down the chimney to deliver toys, but apparently these misfit toys don't rate first-rate treatment, they get dropped off the bus and hope they land somewhere useful. Methinks some misfit toys are going back to the island later.

All in all, it's pretty dreadful.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:

To quote the great philosopher of our time, "with all these ball clubs flying around all season, don't you think there would be a plane crash? ... if you think about it: twenty-six teams, a hundred and sixty-two games a season, you'd think eventually an entire team would get wiped out."
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
...All in all, it's pretty dreadful.
And yet, a beloved Christmas classic.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I notice the first line of elves working on toys all look identical until we get to Hermey.
In that first elf workshop scene, the toys on the elf assembly line mostly appear to me to be railroad related. The swinging gate toy is kind of a mystery, but perhaps it is part of a train crossing or some such knickknack. However that knobbed cube thing being constructed by the elf sitting directly next to Hermie is a bizarre creation indeed. Hermie isn't the only misfit toymaker needing a lecture from the boss.

All in all, I think we can pretty well tell which team of elves produced the train with the square wheels on its caboose.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... However that knobbed cube thing being constructed by the elf sitting directly next to Hermie is a bizarre creation indeed.

It's a radio, for talking to God!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
To quote the great philosopher of our time, "with all these ball clubs flying around all season, don't you think there would be a plane crash? ... if you think about it: twenty-six teams, a hundred and sixty-two games a season, you'd think eventually an entire team would get wiped out."
That Yogi Berra sure is a pistol, eh?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
That squirts jelly!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

By the way, for all you youngsters out there, I will explain a joke from Burl Ives' opening naration.

He looks over his shoulder and sees some seals juggling presents and says "Christmas Seals".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

"Christmas Seals" are labels placed on mail during the Christmas season to raise funds and awareness for charitable programs. They have become particularly associated with lung diseases such as tuberculosis and with child welfare. Christmas seals are regarded as a form of cinderella stamp.
All nice and happy, until they killed Osama Bin Laden, do NOT fuck with the Christmas SEALS.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Who says there's only ever been one Comet? It seems impossible, as evidently only the bucks are taken for aerodraughting duty, and the average lifespan of a male reindeer is about 10 years. Since it takes at least 2 years to mature and master flying, and leaving at least the last year or so for retirement, the typical career for even a first round pick (so to speak) would be about 5-6 years, 7-8 at most.

So I figure "Comet" is the customary titular name to use for The Coach Of The Next Generation, and there's an implied serial number denoting a specific tour of service. "You wouldn't know to look at him, but old Jeremiah there pulled Santa's sleigh for 4 years back in the day, he was Blixem LXVIII for 3 years and made it up to Dasher LXI before blowing out his rear left ankle on a slick slate roof in Framingham, MA, poor guy."
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Why would "Comet" be a title rather than a name? The show is just a snapshot in time. Comet is the coach at that time, not necessarily for eternity.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Because "Comet" was first documented to be on the team in 1822. Now, I can accept the Santa is effectively immortal (as a "right jolly old elf" and we know that elves can live for historical ages, as documetned by Professor Tolkien) but reindeer just do not live that long.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

L.A. area Dopers should be aware that the Troubies Christmas show this year is "Rudolph the Red-Nosed ReinDOORS." We caught it last night, and it was as good as ever. We almost got crushed by a giant Bumble foot, Sam the Snowman nicknamed the wife "Low Crotch Lady"(you had to be there), and poor little Nathan almost got flashed by King Moonracer, who had to do an entire scene with a misfit toy holding on to the back of his loincloth to keep it from falling. Total chaos and a magical evening all around. You'd be amazed how well Doors songs fit the story.

Last edited by silenus; 12-17-2012 at 10:00 AM..
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I notice the first line of elves working on toys all look identical until we get to Hermey. Later we see a fat elf and a tall elf.
It is difficult to understand why all the elves should look alike. Other than the fat and tall elf, the only other different ones seem to be the Boss Elf, Santa, and Hermie. And as was pointed out earlier, Hermie doesn't have elf ears, so it is possible that his father wasn't an elf at all. One thought is that Yukon Cornelius could be Hermie's father. That might explain his desire to bond with the wannabe dentist and Rudolph despite obviously being comfortable prospecting on his own. Yukon was even ready to share his gold and silver strikes with the misfits, which is mighty generous for a complete stranger.

All the girl elves seemed to be identical right down to their dress. I don't think it is clear whether Mrs. Claus is an elf. Quite a conundrum.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Quote:
That squirts jelly!
Way to bring it back to the thread topic.

Seriously, well done!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 AM

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have loved this show ever since I was a little kid, despite the many plot holes and bizarrely hostile Santa and adult reindeer. It really is a strange show, not the least of which is disabling the Abominable by pulling out all his teeth. I, too, always wondered what the swinging gate toy was supposed to be and how/why the misfit toys were created (why weren't they simply fixed?) and whether any of them ever got delivered to a child who could love them despite their flaws.

Maybe the misfit toys came about because Santa is such a cruel taskmaster that sometimes the elves just had to throw something together quickly to meet their unreasonably high production quotas.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I always thought Fireball turned to a life of meth and got the street-name Scratcher after being traumatized by seeing his best friend's nose during the Reindeer Games. It seems like you're saying he made that choice because of the soul-crushing frustration fighting the glass (diamond?) ceiling to be on the sleigh team.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 AM

The way I see it, the reindeer in the 2nd row left is The Prancer. The one directly behind him is The Comet -- it's like they're immortals. But when age, infirmity or assassination causes an opening in the ranks, somebody moves up from the practice squad and steps into the role of The Comet. So Fireball could someday become one The Elite Eight.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
assassination
So these are goatee-wearing reindeer, then?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
I always thought Fireball turned to a life of meth and got the street-name Scratcher after being traumatized by seeing his best friend's nose during the Reindeer Games. It seems like you're saying he made that choice because of the soul-crushing frustration fighting the glass (diamond?) ceiling to be on the sleigh team.
The North Pole Society in RTRNR is a very closed society. Change of any kind is abhorred. The elves almost all look alike. The reindeer are basically the same. All the elves dress in similar fashion right down to the feathers in the cap. New reindeer on the sleigh team may well be perceived as dangerous to the culture. Of course "some day” a change is promised…but that day can never come. Must never come.

It’s more than just a dictatorial Santa and a subservient class of elves and deer. The resistance to change is part of the essence of the entire place. Note what happens in that scene where Rudolph first meets Hermie. Rudolph says, “I’m whatever it was you said…In-de-pen-dent!” At that statement the Christmas trees themselves start shivering and dropping ornaments. Wow.

It’s easy to be critical of another culture by applying our standards of right and wrong. However, change in the North Pole way of life will undoubtedly destroy it in the end. Too much “ in-de-pen-dence” and this place is going to cease to be able to function. A dentist seems harmless enough, but such independence is not going to stop with one elf. The Bumble acted as a shared danger to keep everyone in line, but even that threat is now gone.

I am reminded of the movie Pleasantville, where tiny changes transform the world. Today it’s a red nose and a dentist’s office. Tomorrow it’s an “In-de-pen-dance” movement. Elves start demanding payment for services, female reindeer begin wanting more than to sit at home raising babies, and Santa has to actually work more than one night a year. One can appreciate why the dominant powers do not want to see a reindeer with a glowing nose.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:59 AM

This may explain why Santa and the others were so uninterested in the fact that Donner, Mrs. Donner and Clarise were missing for months (with Santa indirectly blaming the mutant Rudolph). With Rudolph and Hermie it was self-imposed exile in the Ancient Greek sense for being different but for the other three they were in effect exiled too in that no one cared to look for them just for being concerned for the "mutants". In other words, it was not only being different but also being compassionate for the different that was frowned upon. Clarise's father and Santa the prime examples.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

But it's still beloved, go figure.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have loved this show ever since I was a little kid, despite the many plot holes and bizarrely hostile Santa and adult reindeer. It really is a strange show, not the least of which is disabling the Abominable by pulling out all his teeth. I, too, always wondered what the swinging gate toy was supposed to be and how/why the misfit toys were created (why weren't they simply fixed?) and whether any of them ever got delivered to a child who could love them despite their flaws.

Maybe the misfit toys came about because Santa is such a cruel taskmaster that sometimes the elves just had to throw something together quickly to meet their unreasonably high production quotas.
Good point. Look for the "swinging gate" toy on Misfit Island next Christmas Eve.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
So these are goatee-wearing reindeer, then?
"Mr. Fireball, your agonizer, please!"
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

So Santa only works one day a year delivering toys, but King Moonracer has to go around the world every night looking for unloved toys?

SHEEEESH!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:14 PM
SDSAB

The science behind reindeers' occasional red noses: http://www.pawnation.com/2012/12/19/...ve-a-red-nose/
Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
So Santa only works one day a year delivering toys, but King Moonracer has to go around the world every night looking for unloved toys?

SHEEEESH!
Well, Santa's a mythical being. For all we know, he only exists on this plane of existence for the month of December, retreating to Faerie the rest of the time.

King Moonracer, on the other hand, is a working monarch in a society where that actually means something other than cutting ribbons, shaking hands and rubberstamping what your parliament decides.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:01 AM
Charter Member

"Rudolph" airs on CBS on Tuedsay, November 26th so it's time to bring this thread back.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 AM

"Gandalf! You're alive!"

"Didn't I ever tell you the truth about Balrogs? Balrogs Bounce!"

Sorry. The second Hobbit's coming out, too. Couldn't help myself.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM

<raises a glass of eggnog to the late lamented poopah>
Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM
SDSAB

<solemnly squirts some jelly in Gyrate's eggnog>
Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 AM

I saw a promo which hawked this year's broadcast as being in HD. I don't remember if it said this was the first time but I can't imagine that HD would be good for this film.