The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Are there safe places in the usa to survive the end of the world?

Here in France, there's a village (Bugarath) currently crowded by people who hope to survive the end of the world on december 21, since for some reason a mountain situated there will supposedly be safe.

Are there similar "end of the world-proof" places in the USA or, for that matter, in other countries?
Advertisements  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM

Yes.
PM me, and I will disclose my guaranteed end-of-the-world-safe location for a mere $10,000.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Chicago Savant

Despite what you hear from certain members of Congress, the US is part of the world.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Here in France, there's a village (Bugarath) currently crowded by people who hope to survive the end of the world on december 21, since for some reason a mountain situated there will supposedly be safe.

Are there similar "end of the world-proof" places in the USA or, for that matter, in other countries?
Depends on how the world ends.
Nasty virus? Isolation.
Flooding? High ground.
Earth being destroyed to make room for a hyperspace bypass? A handful of peanuts, a towel and a good thumb.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Depends on how the world ends.
Nasty virus? Isolation.
Flooding? High ground.
Earth being destroyed to make room for a hyperspace bypass? A handful of peanuts, a towel and a good thumb.
I would rather stay here. Vogon poetry is worse than death.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM

There's a doomsday cult that lives in a complex of bunkers north of Yellowstone Park that has been pushing their end times date back since early 80's, IIRC. I always found this amusing because the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting is one of the very few plausible end of the world scenarios out there and they are definitely toast if that happens.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Maybe Mount Weather or Raven Rock Mountain Complex, if you can convince them to let you in one of them.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM

Colorado frequently comes up. That's why the government hollowed out Cheyenne Mountain, and built the USAF Academy next door.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravnik View Post
That is a cool logo.

For the record, I hope if the end of the world is coming it is quick, swift, and painless and that I go with it. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't want any of my family to survive either because how miserable would that be for them? If you aren't afraid of dying why wold the end of the world be so scary? It's surviving that seems the more dire prospect.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM

I was thinking NORAD (aka Cheyenne Mountain Complex) and when googling, came up with this - which lists several places in the US suitable for surviving zombies, chemical warfare, natural phenomona, etc.
http://justpiper.com/survival/nine-b...he-apocalypse/
Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

If you stay in your own house, you will be perfectly from any "end of the world" events on December 21.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:12 PM

Western Idaho.
  • Tectonically sound
  • Far enough inland for any epic tsunami.
  • Enough elevation - just handy in general
  • West of the Yellowstone super volcano's eruption and fallout
  • Low population density
  • Resources: national forest with rivers for water, hunting, and fishing
  • Lack of major highways and interstate - keeps the likelihood of outsiders low

That's just off the top of my head. I'm no prepper. I don't even have a flashlight.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 PM

If it involves living in an underground school bus, you can count me out.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

We have two vicious attack kitties named Boris and Natasha - they will protect us from anything the Mayans can throw at us. You're welcome to come crash with us - I suspect the pantry could sustain us through a nuclear holocaust.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBaldGuy View Post
If you stay in your own house, you will be perfectly from any "end of the world" events on December 21.
I'm planning to ride it out in my recliner. Only seats one, though.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 PM

As I understand it the end-of-the-world protection give by Bugarath is due to the Aliens that live underneath the nearby mountain (I am unclear on how or why they plan on protecting the town).

So probably the US equivalent would be Mt Shasta in California which is also allegedly populated by a race of mountain-dwelling aliens (allegations which I am sure have nothing to do with the prodigious amount of high-quality cannabis produced and smoked in those parts):
http://www.ufodigest.com/article/mys...d-ancient-gods
Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin1977 View Post
As I understand it the end-of-the-world protection give by Bugarath is due to the Aliens that live underneath the nearby mountain (I am unclear on how or why they plan on protecting the town).

So probably the US equivalent would be Mt Shasta in California which is also allegedly populated by a race of mountain-dwelling aliens (allegations which I am sure have nothing to do with the prodigious amount of high-quality cannabis produced and smoked in those parts):
http://www.ufodigest.com/article/mys...d-ancient-gods
Bugarach
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Yucca Flat?

No, looks like I was thinking of Yucca Mountain. Yucca Flat is funnier, though.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM

I plan to spend that week at Skald the Rhymer's house.

But don't tell him...it's a surprise...
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
I plan to spend that week at Skald the Rhymer's house.

But don't tell him...it's a surprise...
It'll be a total bummer when you find out he's only hypothetically prepared.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 AM

I've already found a quiet place in North America to stay out of history's way.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:10 AM

I grew up in southern Oregon and there was always an old legend about how we were apocalypse proof. I don't know if there was any actual science behind it, but it had something to do with the mountains and prevailing winds.

Of course, growing up in Oregon you also hear about any day we could have "a big one" (a previously dormant volcano or a giant earthquake, or both?) go off and cause worldwide destruction, Oregon being at the center of the destruction so there is a bit of a contradiction I think.

Last edited by drewtwo99; 12-08-2012 at 02:10 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I was thinking NORAD (aka Cheyenne Mountain Complex) and when googling, came up with this - which lists several places in the US suitable for surviving zombies, chemical warfare, natural phenomona, etc.
http://justpiper.com/survival/nine-b...he-apocalypse/
A deep cave is just what you need chiro. Your choice here:

http://www.caverbob.com/usadeep.htm
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyJack View Post
There's a doomsday cult that lives in a complex of bunkers north of Yellowstone Park that has been pushing their end times date back since early 80's, IIRC. I always found this amusing because the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting is one of the very few plausible end of the world scenarios out there and they are definitely toast if that happens.
Thatís quite funny. I would also be toast in central Colorado.

Though for other events, I donít mind that we are pretty isolated, have a spring on our property and live in a solar home. Shelter and water we got. The top two.
I would, however, get very tired of eating chipmunk.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Are they still around? I remember them from when I was a kid in Montana. One of the things that started me on this life of skepticism and agnosticism I live today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBaldGuy View Post
Crap. I have to go to work that day.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:54 AM

Survive with the Illuminati in Missouri!

From Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura, season 3, episode 4:

"Ventura looks into rumors that the elite are building fortified retreats and underground bunkers in remote areas of the country in preparation for a doomsday event. He travels to Ozark, Missouri to investigate the construction of an alleged 75,000 sq. ft., "single-family," fortified mansion owned by a satellite surveillance mogul and government defense contractor. Later, Ventura and his team are guided by a local informant to a massive underground warehouse facility, complete with railroad access, that is located in nearby Springfield, Missouri."

Oops, Ive said too much already
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamex View Post
Are they still around? I remember them from when I was a kid in Montana. One of the things that started me on this life of skepticism and agnosticism I live today.
They're still around, but since their leader started suffering from alzheimers and stepped down around 2000 (and eventually died a few years ago), it seems they've been toning down the doomsday talk and gone back to the sort of New Age-y self help movement they started as. The last scheduled doomsday was in 1990 and after it was averted with prayer they haven't rescheduled. They have a "teaching center" in Livingston now, and there's some splinter groups all over the country.

I think part of why they've managed to survive instead of imploding like most doomsday cults is that their finances are pretty sound. It turns out the chunk of land they bought for their compound was a savvy investment-- in the 90's, the valley became super trendy, with celebrities building luxury cabins and such, so the group has been able to sell small parcels of land for a very tidy profit. They still own the core of their "ranch" though (and presumably the bunkers) and hold events up there from time to time.

(Incidentally here's their somewhat disorganized wiki page-- it seems like about half of it is written by believers or at least sympathizers: Church Universal and Triumphant)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
It'll be a total bummer when you find out [Skald is] only hypothetically prepared.
Actually I have a disaster-preparedness kit. There's canned food, bottled water, guns, ammo, flashlights, batteries, three months worth of our meds, diapers, formula, clothes, batteries, two-way radios, and some other stuff. But if you're not a relative or close friend, you ain't getting access to any of that unless my wife insists.

Well, that's a lie. If there were an earthquake or whatnot and some little kid needed help, I'd help him or her. Rule 4.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
They're still around, but since their leader started suffering from alzheimers and stepped down around 2000 (and eventually died a few years ago), it seems they've been toning down the doomsday talk and gone back to the sort of New Age-y self help movement they started as. The last scheduled doomsday was in 1990 and after it was averted with prayer they haven't rescheduled. They have a "teaching center" in Livingston now, and there's some splinter groups all over the country.

I think part of why they've managed to survive instead of imploding like most doomsday cults is that their finances are pretty sound. It turns out the chunk of land they bought for their compound was a savvy investment-- in the 90's, the valley became super trendy, with celebrities building luxury cabins and such, so the group has been able to sell small parcels of land for a very tidy profit. They still own the core of their "ranch" though (and presumably the bunkers) and hold events up there from time to time.

(Incidentally here's their somewhat disorganized wiki page-- it seems like about half of it is written by believers or at least sympathizers: Church Universal and Triumphant)
Ah, yes, their last doomsday was just before I moved away in the spring of 1990. No one in Minnesota had any idea about the disaster that had recently been averted!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:21 AM

If you can survive it anywhere on Earth, it is clearly not the end of the world.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Yes.
PM me, and I will disclose my guaranteed end-of-the-world-safe location for a mere $10,000.

BAH!

Overpriced chiseler!

Ignore him.

Now, me, I'll give you the exact same quality information, for a mere $5,000!

Think of it! 50% off!
And I'll throw in a bagel!

That bagel sure does sound good, doesn't it?

Then buy your end-of-the-World information from me: Bosda!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Are you referring to the "Church Universal and Triumphant" of the last 80's and early 90's fame? I believe they are no longer around as an organized group. I seem to recall my mother (a Montana resident at the time) saying that the "church" leaders had gotten themselves in some legal trouble in regards to both taxes and guns.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Are you referring to the "Church Universal and Triumphant" of the last 80's and early 90's fame? I believe they are no longer around as an organized group. I seem to recall my mother (a Montana resident at the time) saying that the "church" leaders had gotten themselves in some legal trouble in regards to both taxes and guns.
Yep, and they're still sort of around (see post #26). The group has definitely splintered, but the original group still owns their compound. I hadn't heard about tax issues, although like I mentioned, they can always sell off a chunk of land if they're in trouble. They got some guff from the feds regarding their weapons stockpile, but that was true of pretty much everyone in 1990's Montana.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Western Idaho.
  • West of the Yellowstone super volcano's eruption and fallout
Uh, I live on the Idaho/Washington border, and about 99% of the rock in this area was laid down by the Yellowstone supervolcano.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriah View Post
I've already found a quiet place in North America to stay out of history's way.
Canada?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleibtreu View Post
If you can survive it anywhere on Earth, it is clearly not the end of the world.
Thank you. Good grief! It's not enough that the crazies believe it's the end of the world...they then try to prepare for it. It's The. End. Of. The. World.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Actually I have a disaster-preparedness kit. There's canned food, bottled water, guns, ammo, flashlights, batteries, three months worth of our meds, diapers, formula, clothes, batteries, two-way radios, and some other stuff.
I have a survival disaster-preparedness kit ready for the big event, too. It's a pepperoni pizza. With extra cheese.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeshaJoy View Post
Uh, I live on the Idaho/Washington border, and about 99% of the rock in this area was laid down by the Yellowstone supervolcano.
Sort of. Major tangent ahead.

The most common rocks in eastern Washington into Idaho are the Columbia River Basalt Group, which were a catastrophic series of huge effusive (i.e. runny Hawaii-style) eruptions. There is most likely some relationship between the CRBG and the Yellowstone supervolcano-- the CRBG eruptions were about 17 million years ago in southeast Oregon/western Idaho, which just so happens to also be were and when the first of the explosive Yellowstone eruptions was. The super-thick basalt beds that cover your area are all millions of years old and aren't the result of the periodic explosive eruptions that will spell doom for everyone east of Yellowstone.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 AM

I have carefully removed all the junk from under my bed, will ride out doomsday there with the wife and cat, whereupon we will emerge to face the challenges of life without the internet or even basic cable...shudder
Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Actually I have a disaster-preparedness kit. There's canned food, bottled water, guns, ammo, flashlights, batteries, three months worth of our meds, diapers, formula, clothes, batteries, two-way radios, and some other stuff. But if you're not a relative or close friend, you ain't getting access to any of that unless my wife insists.

Well, that's a lie. If there were an earthquake or whatnot and some little kid needed help, I'd help him or her. Rule 4.
Or if you rescued an implausibly scantily clad trio of nymphomaniac strippers from the apocalypse. Rule 34.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I understand the Mayans got a new calendar in the mail from their fuel-oil company, so we can all relax now.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM

Are there similar places to the one in the OP though?

Where you're protected by the location instead of the people or man-made structures that are on it.

Doesn't have to be a scientific answer.

Post nr. 16 is a good example.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 AM

I think I'll try here.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
I have a survival disaster-preparedness kit ready for the big event, too. It's a pepperoni pizza. With extra cheese.
You have confused preparing for a disaster with preparing to watch the Doctor Who Christmas special.

Life is sweet. While it's true my beard is greying, I don't much care for my job, and I've long since given up dreams of winning the Hugo, I have a wife and baby I adore, not to mention the rest of my family & friends. I want to live as long as possible, and I'm not willing to meekly surrender to the Reaper even in a disaster.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not willing to meekly surrender to the Reaper
Hey, nobody's suggesting that you go meekly!
No--instead, be daring.......... Order the extra cheese.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Bugarach
How can he protect people? He can't even keep raindrops from falling on his head!

What?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You have confused preparing for a disaster with preparing to watch the Doctor Who Christmas special.
There's a difference? Should I make it a sausage pizza instead?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Thatís quite funny. I would also be toast in central Colorado.

Though for other events, I donít mind that we are pretty isolated, have a spring on our property and live in a solar home. Shelter and water we got. The top two.
I would, however, get very tired of eating chipmunk.
Mrs Cad being an emergency manager has our route out of No. Colorado already planned out. Depending on the notice it is either Cheyenne (low traffic) then west on I80 or down to Denver and west on I-70 with everyone else. We end up in Portland or Seattle. Central Colorado you would probably going through Pueblo and US50 west but to be honest, I'd rather cut through the Yellowstone Caldera than Pueblo.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM

I'm sticking with John Cusack.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravnik View Post
Maybe Mount Weather or Raven Rock Mountain Complex, if you can convince them to let you in one of them.
I've been inside of Site R! It was in connection with a renovation contract our company was doing there. It's pretty claustrophobic, but impressive.