The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > About This Message Board

Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer View Post
Meh. Boring.

I liked his brand of crazy.
Given the nature of the thread (and issue), I think it's important to note that merely disagreeing is not trolling, nor is crazy. This was different from both.
Advertisements  
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM

To get back on the original topic, I usually have no idea who I'm talking to in any thread, so I could be arguing with them in one thread and chatting nicely with them at the same time in another thread.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
Oh snap, banned. Good, I wanted that to happen. I also have some other requests for banning. Who should I PM them to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Lynn Bodoni is usually the one who says she's keeping the list.
I require chocolate and/or cash, though.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Vigilante View Post
To get back on the original topic, I usually have no idea who I'm talking to in any thread, so I could be arguing with them in one thread and chatting nicely with them at the same time in another thread.
Which is one of the nice things about this message board.

The Dope - a group of people united in their desire for interesting discussions, the urge to get off the perfect one-liner, and an irrational hatred of the mods.

Regards,
Shodan

PS -
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Accept no substitutes

Quote:
Oh snap, banned. Good, I wanted that to happen. I also have some other requests for banning. Who should I PM them to?
I see neither chocolate nor scotch, so obviously this is not a serious discussion.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
I see neither chocolate nor scotch, so obviously this is not a serious discussion.

I, on the other hand, am making a Little List.

Are we talking Usher's Green Stripe or Glenlivet?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Have I ever told you how much I really, really like you?
Back off I saw her first.

To answer Quasi's original questions:

1. Most trolls seem to be returning disgruntled posters. They are not patient enough to do a slow burn. They come in and start breaking shit. The first indicator is when they start pushing every Doper button. All of us who have been here a while know which topics have been hotly argued over and over. When I newbie comes on and starts hitting every button one right after another its obvious they are a troll. Now some newbies just come on a bit strong at first. Those that can learn to play well with others stick around. Others wind up being banned. I don't consider those people trolls. Just people who don't fit on a moderated board.

2. There are only a few posters that have built up a bad reputation in my head. The vast majority I can have a heated discussion with on one subject but have a nice conversation on another. Only a couple do I try not to engage. I ignore no one.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Which is one of the nice things about this message board.

The Dope - a group of people united in their desire for interesting discussions, the urge to get off the perfect one-liner, and an irrational hatred of the mods.

Regards,
Shodan

PS -
Total bullshit. I'm not irrational.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Total bullshit. I'm not irrational.
I'm not saying we don't have a few misfits.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
Given the nature of the thread (and issue), I think it's important to note that merely disagreeing is not trolling, nor is crazy. This was different from both.
I actually don't know the reason for the banning, if that's what you're talking about. I just liked the posters crazy posts. I dunno if he was actually teh evil. Was he?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post

Look, I'll give you guys all the chocolate you want, but you're crazy if you think I'm giving away scotch.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

I mean that the general premise that disagreeing--and primarily disagreeing--is trollish. You mentioned crazy, so I thought to point out that we've had plenty of ostensibly certifiable posters here who have left on their own, still walk among us, or were banned for violations--not merely for having Chiropteras in their belfries.

So disagreeing ≠ trolling; crazy ≠ trolling; trolling = trolling.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 PM
An 8th-note short of a 4/4 bar

Quote:
Are you planning for a banning?

Last edited by EmilyG; 01-24-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer View Post
I actually don't know the reason for the banning, if that's what you're talking about. I just liked the posters crazy posts. I dunno if he was actually teh evil. Was he?
Basically we decided she was in fact trolling and warnings weren't going to get her to stop. In just a few weeks here, she got involved in almost every possible controversial issue, and didn't merely disagree but disagreed in a particularly obnoxious fashion. She's been under discussion since almost the day she arrived.

The fact that she took the position that her problems here were due only to the fact that she disagreed, and failed to acknowledge that her jerkishness had anything to do with it, merely served to convince us further that she was a troll.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Basically we decided she was in fact trolling and warnings weren't going to get her to stop. In just a few weeks here, she got involved in almost every possible controversial issue, and didn't merely disagree but disagreed in a particularly obnoxious fashion. She's been under discussion since almost the day she arrived.

The fact that she took the position that her problems here were due only to the fact that she disagreed, and failed to acknowledge that her jerkishness had anything to do with it, merely served to convince us further that she was a troll.
Oh. That's a little disappointing. No fireworks. Not even a little tiny fake wheelchair, or fake dead family?

Ah well. Guess there's always more where that came from

Thanks for the clarification Rhythmdvl. I do agree, trolling = trolling!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
I require chocolate and/or cash, though.
Do you take chocolate cash?

http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Treasur.../dp/B000MWTRU0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post

To answer Quasi's original questions:

2. There are only a few posters that have built up a bad reputation in my head. The vast majority I can have a heated discussion with on one subject but have a nice conversation on another. Only a couple do I try not to engage. I ignore no one.
Yeah, same here. I'll be cursing out someone in my head and then 30 minutes later end up in a different thread politely chatting with them.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Basically we decided she was in fact trolling and warnings weren't going to get her to stop.
How does it come to pass that our more intelligent Moderators will explain why someone was banned and others jump down my throat for violating the rules by asking?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
How does it come to pass that our more intelligent Moderators will explain why someone was banned and others jump down my throat for violating the rules by asking?
You're comparing two unlike situations: if someone is banned with no explanation, we ask that posters PM us instead of starting a thread. Sevencl wasn't banned without an explanation. She appeared to be trolling in this thread, and that was the last straw. So there's no proscription against asking about it or discussing it.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
You're comparing two unlike situations: if someone is banned with no explanation, we ask that posters PM us instead of starting a thread. Sevencl wasn't banned without an explanation. She appeared to be trolling in this thread, and that was the last straw. So there's no proscription against asking about it or discussing it.
Thank you, but I feel like I'm talking to the government.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
As Marley says, we ask you not to start new threads asking why people are banned (when there has been no announcement). Given that the person in question was banned due in part to her posts in this thread, it's reasonable to explain the reason here.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As Marley says, we ask you not to start new threads asking why people are banned (when there has been no announcement). Given that the person in question was banned due in part to her posts in this thread, it's reasonable to explain the reason here.
Ah, thank you.

Have you ever considered employment with USAC?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Ah, thank you.

Have you ever considered employment with USAC?
Universal Service Administrative Company?
United States Auto Club?
USA Cycling?
University Studies Abroad Curriculum?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Unusual Scrotum Adjustment Commission
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
Unusual Scrotum Adjustment Commission
I wish.

There was a tax on telephone service to extend phone service to rural areas.
As happens with temporary taxes and Moderat...er, the thing the tax was made to do was completed. As governments and mods are...is prone to do, someone exclaimed, "Oh my goodness! We must stop levying the tax, as we promised to do! Is there nothing we can do to spend it on?"
So now that tax you continue to pay on your telephone bill pays for internet service (a very vague term, according to USAC, including things to help you connect to the web) pays for internet connections for schools and libraries.
Which is a good thing, I guess, unless you don't have a lot of money and want to quit paying a temporary tax levied in the 1930s.
They will demand to know things such as, "How many people in your facility have a name that begins with A?"
One quite naturally responds, "I am terribly sorry, but I do not understand. Do you wish to know if their first, last, or both names begin with A?"
Moder....er, USAC will respond, "We wish to know How many people in your facility have a name that begins with A! If you do not answer correctly, we will send you to Guantanamo!"
I get paid for dealing with these mod...er, people.
Not enough.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Sorry I asked.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry I asked.
That's ok.
Just think of me and My Ordeal when you pay your phone bill.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 PM

Yes, the term "troll" is used quite a lot here, and I was thinking that it was applied unfairly to some new Dopers, hence the question.

The other question is a bit more personal. I guess I am more "thin-skinned" than most of you, and although most of my posts have been non-argumentative (yes, I know there were exceptions) some of them did draw the ire of some of you I had considered friends. Some words were written on both sides of the fence that were very harsh, and thinking back on them, no matter how passionate I was about the theme, I should not have written some of the things I did. So I was wondering if any of you no longer correspond with anyone you have had a "knock-down, drag-out" with and how do you keep up with that; the ignore button?

Thanks

Q
Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I usually unsubscribe when things get nasty in a thread.
I bitched at whats-his-name once.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea (unsubbing).

Sad, isn't it, when you can't defend your position because friends message you and tell you it's a lost cause because of who you're dealing with?

Q
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM

nm, double post

Last edited by Quasimodem; 01-26-2013 at 09:18 PM..