The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > About This Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 AM
kidchameleon kidchameleon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cecil's basement
Posts: 5,057
5. Insert phallic reference here, just to beat Der Trihs to the punch.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #52  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrrbazzle View Post
Do you really expect us to believe that RJ lawyered it as finely as you do?
I'm discussing what he wrote, not how he "lawyered it." I understand why people objected to the post, of course, but he didn't call any person a name. He said something about a model of gun that was used to kill a bunch of children.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 49,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
He said something about a model of gun that was used to kill a bunch of children.
It was deliberately inflammatory.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Oakminster Oakminster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
He said something about a model of gun that was used to kill a bunch of children.
And he strongly implied that anyone that owns or is trying to buy an AR 15 condones the massacre of children.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Jack Batty Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
He didn't strongly imply anything but that an AR-15 was used in the latest massacre of children.

"Stop making fun of my guns!" Really? I never pegged Oakminster as a member of the offenderatti.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM
PlainJain PlainJain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
He said something about a model of gun that was used to kill a bunch of children.
But not in a vacuum. I'm curious why you mods of all people continue to argue that non-valid viewpoint. So what he didn't directly insult another poster? Not many are arguing that he did. But what he did do was make a mean spirited political jab in a MPSIMS thread that strongly contributed to the derailment of that thread.

Again, the comment itself didn't bother me personally but you continuing to act as if is was fine and dandy is a bit silly, IMO (your comment is silly, not you).
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
And he strongly implied that anyone that owns or is trying to buy an AR 15 condones the massacre of children.
I don't think that's the implication. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
But what he did do was make a mean spirited political jab in a MPSIMS thread that strongly contributed to the derailment of that thread.
I agree the comment contributed to the thread going off course and the mods should be careful about doing that. It was an inflammatory comment for sure. I don't think it means much that the comment was political because the thread was bound to be political based on its subject matter. Perhaps it would've been a better fit in Great Debates even if the OP was making a one-off observation.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM
PlainJain PlainJain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
I agree the comment contributed to the thread going off course and the mods should be careful about doing that. It was an inflammatory comment for sure. I don't think it means much that the comment was political because the thread was bound to be political based on its subject matter. Perhaps it would've been a better fit in Great Debates even if the OP was making a one-off observation.
Thank you for your response.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 49,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Perhaps it would've been a better fit in Great Debates even if the OP was making a one-off observation.
I thought the article was fairly balanced, and helped to explain how the AR-15 became more popular than it was. And the popularity had nothing to do with people wanting the same gun a mass-murderer used (as was stated by one poster). The thread could have been a discussion about the attributes of the firearm, and could have allowed people familiar with it to explain why they like it. Instead, it was hijacked almost immediately by someone claiming, through the application of a moniker, that it is the preferred weapon of child killers; and by someone claiming that people who want one want to use it to kill people.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,236
I'm not faulting you for doing anything wrong, but I think a gun control discussion was the likely result even though it did not have to be that particular argument.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I never pegged Oakminster as a member of the offenderatti.
I can't tell if you're joking.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
PlainJain PlainJain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
I'm not faulting you for doing anything wrong, but I think a gun control discussion was the likely result even though it did not have to be that particular argument.
A mod came into the discussion, she could have told the offenders to knock off the hijack. I've seen it work time and time again.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
A mod came into the discussion, she could have told the offenders to knock off the hijack. I've seen it work time and time again.
Yes, she could have. I think she made an equally logical choice since the thread was a mess by that point. It went pretty far off course in a short time.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM
PlainJain PlainJain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Yes, she could have. I think she made an equally logical choice since the thread was a mess by that point. It went pretty far off course in a short time.
Granted.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Irishman Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
I don't think that's the implication. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
I think we must disagree. I don't see how you could sensibly read the statement as anything but an accusation that those who want the gun want it to shoot children. Further supported by his arguing that exact point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Yes, she could have. I think she made an equally logical choice since the thread was a mess by that point. It went pretty far off course in a short time.
Note that Ellen Cherry came in much sooner (according to her post in this thread) but didn't do anything. She might have been early enough to mod the comment for being a political hijack and a threadshit. But of course then we'd have had to endure the ATMB thread on why Ellen is such a jackbooted thug that she doesn't allow humor, or whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
But of course then we'd have had to endure the ATMB thread on why Ellen is such a jackbooted thug that she doesn't allow humor, or whatever.
I doubt it. Ellen Cherry is one of the better moderators who does a good job of explaining herself while she moderates (instead of only when someone calls her on it) and making reasonable decisions. She also will admit when she makes a mistake, and actually polices what she says so she doesn't wind up contradicting herself later. She therefore does not get nearly as many ATMB threads.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I don't see how you could sensibly read the statement as anything but an accusation that those who want the gun want it to shoot children. Further supported by his arguing that exact point.
He never argued that anyone wanted the gun so they could shoot children. He said the opposite in both post #34 and post #44.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Whether that's because of the proposed assault weapons ban or not, the weapon is now famous and cmmercially popular in large part for its use in shooting children, even though your personal motive for buying one isn't to go shoot children. If you don't like that, well, that's life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Do you really, honestly believe that people are buying it because they think it'd make a great weapon to murder kids with?
No, which is why, you'll note, I never said that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Note that Ellen Cherry came in much sooner (according to her post in this thread) but didn't do anything. She might have been early enough to mod the comment for being a political hijack and a threadshit.
Yes, it's possible that the thread would not have gone so badly if she had told everybody to cool down or had given a note in response to a couple of posts. But the post wasn't a political hijack - the use of the gun in that massacre isn't political - and I don't think it was a threadshit.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Irishman Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
You're saying gun control isn't political? I'll concede it doesn't fit the notion of threadshit.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
You're saying gun control isn't political? I'll concede it doesn't fit the notion of threadshit.
Yes, of course gun control is political. But RickJay's comment wasn't about gun control, and the thread is about the fact that sales of the AR-15 are up because of the proposed assault weapons ban. I think it would be futile to try to keep a discussion of gun control out of that thread.

Last edited by Marley23; 02-05-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM
John Mace John Mace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
I think we're ready for Gun Grabber 3-D; Is the Horse Dead Yet?
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM
artemis artemis is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I think we're ready for Gun Grabber 3-D; Is the Horse Dead Yet?
I dunno. We'd better shoot it to be sure.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
John Mace John Mace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
And what is a "bug"aloo? Is that a white guy trying to boogaloo?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
jtgain jtgain is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Oh Marley? A word please.

Remember the whole gun grabber thing, where you felt absolutely compelled to moderate my heinous use of provocative language in Great Debates?

How, then, does this post, by a moderator, in MPSIMS, get a free pass?

For those that don't wish to click the link to a post in a now closed thread, Rickjay, noted moderator, dropped this little gem:

You have to admit it's curious that a proposed general ban on many weapons results, specifically, in a huge rush on the AR-15 Gradeschooler.

Now if a moderator, trusted guardian of the sacred civility of this noble board, is allowed to comment in this manner in the fluffy-fucking-bunny forum, tell me again why I shouldn't use "gun grabber" in the more rough and tumble Great Debates?
I was gonna start this exact same bitch thread last night but got sidetracked. In post #2 Der Trihs shits all over the thread, and not only isn't modded, but a MOD joins in and says something worse.

And you get nailed for "gun grabbers." The left leaning ideology of this board has blinded it to any semblance of fairness. It seems like left wing shots are simply "the truth" whereas conservative arguments are "being a jerk."

IMHO, both of those posts are absolute personal attacks to any gun owner who buys an AR-15 and implies that they want children to die. That's the epitome of a personal attack.

ETA: Then a third mod comes in and closes the thread (which was a legitimate and very good GQ) because the thread was so off course. It was off course because two posters including a mod destroyed the thread. Instead of moderating the posters, the thread is simply closed. That happens too much to a handful of posters on this board.

Last edited by jtgain; 02-05-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,236
jtgain, please read some of the 70-odd posts that came after the OP.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 PM
PlainJain PlainJain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I dunno. We'd better shoot it to be sure.
That'd be way too quick. The best way is the current course - excruciatingly beating it slowly to death thread after thread after thread...


.

Last edited by PlainJain; 02-05-2013 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Absolute Absolute is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: In flight
Posts: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
jtgain, please read some of the 70-odd posts that came after the OP.
Give me a break. I have read them. It sure sounds to me like RickJay was endorsing Der Trihs' ridiculous, inflammatory hijack. Here is the relevant subthread, each a reply to the previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs
It helps show how twisted gun owners are. "Someone committed a massacre? I want a gun like his!" It's like someone watching a documentary on World War II and then going out and getting a Hitler mustache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LA
Your perception is completely off-base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay
You have to admit it's curious that a proposed general ban on many weapons results, specifically, in a huge rush on the AR-15 Gradeschooler.
His later backpedaling in the thread does not change the implication. Even if that's not what he meant, it certainly reads that way.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
jtgain jtgain is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
jtgain, please read some of the 70-odd posts that came after the OP.
I read them all and have yet to see a clear answer.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 PM
voltaire voltaire is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Give me a break. I have read them. It sure sounds to me like RickJay was endorsing Der Trihs' ridiculous, inflammatory hijack.
Pretty sure Marley was only referring to jtgain's backing up of Oak's opinion that the whole "gun-grabber" thing was bad/biased moderation, not talking about anything that went on in the MPSIMS thread that he had nothing to do with.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Absolute Absolute is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: In flight
Posts: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Pretty sure Marley was only referring to jtgain's backing up of Oak's opinion that the whole "gun-grabber" thing was bad/biased moderation, not talking about anything that went on in the MPSIMS thread that he had nothing to do with.
Oh. Well, it seemed to me that jtgain was talking about the bad behavior in the MPSIMS thread exclusively. But, whatever.

Last edited by Absolute; 02-05-2013 at 11:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 PM
voltaire voltaire is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Oh. Well, it seemed to me that jtgain was talking about the bad behavior in the MPSIMS thread exclusively. But, whatever.
Well, it's probably more accurate to say that it's about comparing and contrasting the two quite different incidents, and that's what has been done in quite a few of the preceding posts that Marley referred to. So, I don't think his comment was as narrowly focused on the MPSIMS thread as you seemed to take it.

Just sayin'.

Last edited by voltaire; 02-05-2013 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.