The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Why haven't they rescued the cruise line passangers?

Have they said why there's no apparent interest in rescuing the cruise liner passengers? Normally you hear about ships in the area picking up as many passengers as possible.

I thought it was required for all ships to help rescue passengers? The SS Californian was blamed for ignoring the Titanic's distress signals and is blamed for many of the deaths. Since then it seems like people get rescued from ships in distress pretty quickly.

I imagine it's much more difficult for the older passengers with preexisting health problems.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/12/travel...html?hpt=hp_t3
Quote:
Some on the ship reported sewage sloshing around in hallways, flooded rooms and trouble getting enough to eat after a fire in the ship's engine room Sunday left it drifting in the Gulf of Mexico. Passengers dragged their mattresses onto the ship's open deck to stay cool and get away from the nasty smells inside.

"The odor is so bad, people are getting sick and they're throwing up everywhere," said Brent Nutt, whose wife is aboard the ship.

But not all passengers share the same dire view of the situation.

A poster on the cruising forum cruisecritic.com said her sister reported passengers have enough food and are "enjoying the extended vacation."

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-12-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Nasty Nati
Posts: 14,923
The ship is afloat, its being towed, it has food, the media is likely sensationalizing the "unsanitary conditions", the tug has a Coast guard escort, the passengers will be conveyed to the nearest port, flown home for free, have their entire cruise bill refunded and be given a credit for a free cruise in the future, along with discounts.

Shit happens, I don't know what else these people can reasonably expect, although I fully expect there to be lawsuits.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 7,376
They're not sinking, and it sounds like they're in no danger of sinking. They're currently being towed back to port with a Coast Guard ship escorting them. That sounds a lot safer and easier than trying to transfer several thousand people to another ship while at sea.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM
WhyNot WhyNot is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I asked my husband the same thing (he spent a bunch of time on navy ships), and he said ship to ship transfers are exceedingly dangerous, and only the kind of thing they'd do if there was something seriously on fire, or otherwise presenting a clear and present danger to the people on the ship. Even anchored, ships move in three dimensions, and people and smaller boats can be crushed or otherwise damaged.

The potential for dysentery doesn't count as hazardous enough to risk it, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,051
OMG, they're being towed to Alabama! Wouldn't it be more merciful to drown them at sea?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I see they originally wanted to tow the ship to the nearest port. But that didn't work out.

I guess if any of the blue haired bingo ladies gets chest pains the coast guard cutter can transfer them quickly for medical help.

I saw a report a couple years ago about elderly people that sell their homes and permanently live on cruise ships. Cost wise its almost the same as a retirement home and cruise ships have doctors if they are needed.
http://www.silverplanet.com/lifestyl...9#.URrqevJZM8o

Quote:
Carnival initially planned to tow the ship to Progreso, Mexico, but strong currents that had pushed it 90 miles north by Monday night prompted the decision to move the ship to Mobile instead. The change also made it easier on the 900 passengers who don't have passports, the cruise line said.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-12-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
johnpost johnpost is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
it was drifting north and Mexico was no longer closer.

transferring people is risky. three crew recently were killed, two inured, in a lifeboat drill on a ship over the other side of the world.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Tapiotar Tapiotar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I saw a report a couple years ago about elderly people that sell their homes and permanently live on cruise ships. Cost wise its almost the same as a retirement home and cruise ships have doctors if they are needed.
http://www.silverplanet.com/lifestyl...9#.URrqevJZM8o
My parents knew a man who pretty much did this. His wife had Alzheimers, and it was cheaper and safer to care for her on board ship than at home or in an institution. She had better food and care, he didn't have to try to learn how to shop and cook and do laundry, etc. He was old, too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 PM
dexter dexter is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
OMG, they're being towed to Alabama! Wouldn't it be more merciful to drown them at sea?
Well, at least no one will be wearing cheese on their heads when they get there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM
DummyGladHands DummyGladHands is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I read that they preferred not to dock in Mexico (Progresso) as there are approx. 900 passengers on board w/o passports. I had no idea you could cruise without one.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
MsWhatsit MsWhatsit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
OMG, they're being towed to Alabama! Wouldn't it be more merciful to drown them at sea?
Well, now that you put it that way...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Iggy Iggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
I read that they preferred not to dock in Mexico (Progresso) as there are approx. 900 passengers on board w/o passports. I had no idea you could cruise without one.
Americans can still travel on closed loop cruises (depart and arrive back to same port) with only government issued ID and a certified copy of their birth certificate.

If you need to depart the ship for any reason and travel by air back to the US then it becomes a problem. Suddenly you need consular assistance to sort out emergency travel documents.

Last edited by Iggy; 02-13-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Floater Floater is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I guess if any of the blue haired bingo ladies gets chest pains the coast guard cutter can transfer them quickly for medical help.
I'd be surprised if there is one reasonably sized passenger ship nowadays that doesn't have a helicopter pad.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 AM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 29,223
I don't know of many, if any, cruise ships that have helo pads aboard - certainly not the one I sailed on or the ones I saw in the various ports we visited. Granted, I'm no expert, but I've also looked at a lot of cruise line websites, and I don't recall ever seeing a ship with a helo pad. Not saying they don't exist - I just didn't see any.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Duckster Duckster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Shit happens, I don't know what else these people can reasonably expect, although I fully expect there to be lawsuits.


I see what you did there. You win the Kimberly-Clark award. Decorate your tree with it.


Last edited by Duckster; 02-13-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 29,223
I correct myself - just for grins, I went to Royal Caribbean's site. Their larger ships do have helo pads, but not the smaller ones. Obviously on my trip, I just saw smaller vessels.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I wonder how many millions of advertising dollars it will cost to erase this damage. Get ready for lots of Carnival Cruise line tv ads for the next year.

I have wondered how much bad press hurts the cruise ship industry? There seems to be at least one ship full of puking people every month or two. That norovirus just rips through a ship of people and ruins everyones holiday.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-13-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 PM
snowthx snowthx is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I wonder how many millions of advertising dollars it will cost to erase this damage. Get ready for lots of Carnival Cruise line tv ads for the next year.

I have wondered how much bad press hurts the cruise ship industry? There seems to be at least one ship full of puking people every month or two. That norovirus just rips through a ship of people and ruins everyones holiday.
People forget. It was not too long ago that the cruise ship in Italy ran aground. Carnival will probably just lower prices to fill up the ships.

While the situation does seem newsworthy, the coverage does seem to be a bit overboard (pun intended) and the cruise industry should be in PR hell for a while, but they will lower prices and people will forget.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I wonder how many millions of advertising dollars it will cost to erase this damage. Get ready for lots of Carnival Cruise line tv ads for the next year.

I have wondered how much bad press hurts the cruise ship industry? There seems to be at least one ship full of puking people every month or two. That norovirus just rips through a ship of people and ruins everyones holiday.
Plus I think that the trial of the Costa Concordia captain is coming fairly soon, another black eye for Carnival. Yup, they'll be offering bargain cruises galore.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 29,223
I know before this happened, my mother declared she'd never go on a Carnival cruise. Apparently a group from her church recently went on one and there were lots of robberies aboard. She implied that perhaps a band of thieves took the trip specifically to rob passengers.

Personally, I decided I'd never go aboard a Carnival vessel after enduring their obnoxious commercials with (I think?) Kathy Lee Gifford. As good a reason as any, right?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
pravnik pravnik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 13,378
The toilets are overflowing and people are getting sick all over the place, but there's plenty of free booze. Sounds like undergrad.

Last edited by pravnik; 02-13-2013 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Wheelz Wheelz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
If I'm reading the article correctly, they are now on their sixth day of a scheduled 4-day cruise. Doesn't sound exactly hellish to me.

Surely they're having to stretch a bit on food, but I very much doubt people are starving to death, and I doubt even more that sanitary conditions are as bad as some are making out.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Locrian Locrian is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I read one story where someone was quoted saying, "There's fecal matter coming down the walls."

Now they're saying food is limited; onion sandwiches are a popular fare.

Only about a dozen "operational" bathrooms (4,200 people on board). Ya might as well crap over the bow.

Last edited by Locrian; 02-13-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Wesley Clark Wesley Clark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
I took a cruise on the carnival triumph once and find this hilarious.I dont recall a helo landing pad on deck.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM
lieu lieu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 25,036
Yeah, as if there weren't enough smells onboard already, now the passengers are eating onion sandwiches.

So there's about 1 working bathroom per 600 people and folks are encouraged to poop in a ziplock and leave it outside their door. If I'm crapping onion sandwiches by god it'll be over the balcony rail. I bet that ship is gonna look like a giant zebra by the time it's towed into port.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
MsWhatsit MsWhatsit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
If I'm reading the article correctly, they are now on their sixth day of a scheduled 4-day cruise. Doesn't sound exactly hellish to me.

Surely they're having to stretch a bit on food, but I very much doubt people are starving to death, and I doubt even more that sanitary conditions are as bad as some are making out.
Nobody's going to starve to death, but I bet the ship is creating a giant stink zone like the one surrounding Pig-Pen in the Peanuts comics. It doesn't take long without working toilets before the whole place just stinks of human waste.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Locrian Locrian is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
Yeah, as if there weren't enough smells onboard already, now the passengers are eating onion sandwiches.

So there's about 1 working bathroom per 600 people and folks are encouraged to poop in a ziplock and leave it outside their door. If I'm crapping onion sandwiches by god it'll be over the balcony rail. I bet that ship is gonna look like a giant zebra by the time it's towed into port.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Voyager Voyager is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 35,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
If I'm reading the article correctly, they are now on their sixth day of a scheduled 4-day cruise. Doesn't sound exactly hellish to me.

Surely they're having to stretch a bit on food, but I very much doubt people are starving to death, and I doubt even more that sanitary conditions are as bad as some are making out.
Ever been on a cruise? Any cabin that is either inside or which has a window that does not open is going to be pretty hot and stuffy and hellish. I read that people are sleeping on the decks, and I can't blame them. I can imagine it being worse than the reports say.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Voyager Voyager is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 35,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I know before this happened, my mother declared she'd never go on a Carnival cruise. Apparently a group from her church recently went on one and there were lots of robberies aboard. She implied that perhaps a band of thieves took the trip specifically to rob passengers.

Personally, I decided I'd never go aboard a Carnival vessel after enduring their obnoxious commercials with (I think?) Kathy Lee Gifford. As good a reason as any, right?
She's be very limited in what she went on, then. Carnival owns plenty of non-Carnival brands, including the infamous Costa, Cunard, and Princess.

This kind of disaster seems to be happening more frequently lately. The cruise lines are trying to build business on lower prices and more shipboard charges, but I suspect they are cutting corners also.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
johnpost johnpost is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
She's be very limited in what she went on, then. Carnival owns plenty of non-Carnival brands, including the infamous Costa, Cunard, and Princess.

This kind of disaster seems to be happening more frequently lately. The cruise lines are trying to build business on lower prices and more shipboard charges, but I suspect they are cutting corners also.
they did in Italy.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM
TimToyGeek TimToyGeek is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
I worked for one of the bigger premium cruise lines for a while, and the slogan in the industry was that Carnival was everybody's first cruise and nobody's second cruise.

I've been aboard a few cruise ships without power or plumbing (staying aboard during dry dock), and it's not pleasant, but it's survivable, and given good weather and alcohol it's kind of fun, more like camping than anything. I wouldn't want to do it for two weeks, but a couple of nights is no problem.

The smell is another thing - cruise ships often fall prey to plumbing issues, and can become foul smelling even when everything's working correctly. Carnival and some other cruise lines have gotten in trouble before for dumping sewage waste-water (or sometimes just used shower and laundry water) at ports.

Carnival and other big cruise lines are going to do what they usually do, just give out alcohol while the passengers are on the cruise, and offer refunds and vouchers as they're leaving in exchange for waivers. It usually works.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I took a cruise on the carnival triumph once and find this hilarious.
Wait- the ship everybody's pooping on is called Triumph?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Iggy Iggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Wait- the ship everybody's pooping on is called Triumph?
Seriously, it's been a great cruise... for me to poop on!

I keed! I keed!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM
alphaboi867 alphaboi867 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 11,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
...Surely they're having to stretch a bit on food, but I very much doubt people are starving to death, and I doubt even more that sanitary conditions are as bad as some are making out.
According to an interview I just saw with one of the passenger's son not only are the lines really long when food is served the staff are allowing passengers to take as much as they want. Which sucks for the passengers at the back of the line because people are hoarding food and it's causing fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Ever been on a cruise? Any cabin that is either inside or which has a window that does not open is going to be pretty hot and stuffy and hellish. I read that people are sleeping on the decks, and I can't blame them. I can imagine it being worse than the reports say.
At least the people with balaconies can air out their cabins and have some private deckspace. Aren't most cabin windows non-opening anyway? The inside cabins aren't only hot & stuff, they smell like a sewer, and are pretty dark given the power problems. That sounds pretty hellish to me.
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Regallag_The_Axe Regallag_The_Axe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
I bet that ship is gonna look like a giant zebra by the time it's towed into port.
It's called dazzle camouflage.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Xema Xema is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Have they said why there's no apparent interest in rescuing the cruise liner passengers?
...it seems like people get rescued from ships in distress pretty quickly.
As others have indicated, there's insufficient distress.

Bad smells and less than wonderful food don't justify the risks and cost of evacuating passengers.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Amateur Barbarian Amateur Barbarian is offline
IMHOtep the Justifed
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 11,445
Because anyone stupid enough to sail on a megaship isn't worth rescuing.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
As others have indicated, there's insufficient distress.

Bad smells and less than wonderful food don't justify the risks and cost of evacuating passengers.
We're not just talking about "bad smells" -- these are bad smells from raw sewage.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Voyager Voyager is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 35,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post

At least the people with balaconies can air out their cabins and have some private deckspace. Aren't most cabin windows non-opening anyway? The inside cabins aren't only hot & stuff, they smell like a sewer, and are pretty dark given the power problems. That sounds pretty hellish to me.
People with balconies are probably doing relatively okay. The last one I was on had a fairly large window, but it sure didn't open.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Voyager Voyager is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 35,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimToyGeek View Post
I worked for one of the bigger premium cruise lines for a while, and the slogan in the industry was that Carnival was everybody's first cruise and nobody's second cruise.

Tim
Interesting. I take it you mean Carnival passengers are first time cruisers. (They seem to go to first time destinations.) Are they relatively cheaper than premium lines to attract first time cruisers?
I've never been on a Carnival line, so I only know the impressions I get from their ads.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Ranchoth Ranchoth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimToyGeek View Post
I worked for one of the bigger premium cruise lines for a while, and the slogan in the industry was that Carnival was everybody's first cruise and nobody's second cruise.
Not that I'm going to be planning a cruise anytime soon, but...who IS everyone's "second (and third) cruise"?

I mean, I presume there are options between "RMS Onionrhea" and "tramp steamer headed to Skull Island"...right?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 AM
picunurse picunurse is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 11,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth View Post
Not that I'm going to be planning a cruise anytime soon, but...who IS everyone's "second (and third) cruise"?

I mean, I presume there are options between "RMS Onionrhea" and "tramp steamer headed to Skull Island"...right?
I've been on 2 Carnival cruises. The first was 16 years ago, before they went to megaliners. The ship held 850 passengers. It was very nice, good service, good food and the staff was happy.
Two years later we were on a much bigger ship. It was awful. The staff was about the same size for over twice as many passengers.

After that we stayed with Princess and RCCL. Both are very nice.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Xema Xema is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
these are bad smells from raw sewage.
They aren't nearly the threat to life and limb that evacuating passengers would be.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Amateur Barbarian Amateur Barbarian is offline
IMHOtep the Justifed
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 11,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by picunurse View Post
Two years later we were on a much bigger ship. It was awful. The staff was about the same size for over twice as many passengers.
It's not just the crew-passengers ratio, which isn't too different across the various sizes. It's that the megaships are absolutely everything you go on a cruise to get away from, unless you like living in a shopping mall. They tend to be on the shit runs as well (absolutely no lead-story pun intended) and crammed with people you wouldn't want to spend an elevator ride with, much less a week or two. Emphasis on crammed.

NCL. Mid-size ships. That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Amateur Barbarian Amateur Barbarian is offline
IMHOtep the Justifed
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 11,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
They aren't nearly the threat to life and limb that evacuating passengers would be.
If you're imagining some kind of breeches-buoy or Titanic-lifeboat "evacuation," you've evidently never been on a cruise ship.

You go down to Deck 3, through a door, and into one of the ship's tenders. Anyone not in a hospital bed or iron lung can do it. (Meaning some passengers do stay ashore at those stops.)

Of course, the tenders do need somewhere to go within ~20 miles and it typically takes about 4-5 cycles of them to get all passengers to shore. But it's not particularly hazardous.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Xema Xema is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
Of course, the tenders do need somewhere to go within ~20 miles
Right - the ship is being towed to shore. And once it's within 20 miles, it's just as easy and quick to tow it the last 20 miles.

Is there evidence that those bad smells have become a serious health threat? I haven't heard this.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Wesley Clark Wesley Clark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Wait- the ship everybody's pooping on is called Triumph?
yes, and when I was on it one of the activities was a comedy show with an insult comic who made fun of the audience. so it is triumph the insult comedy ship for me to poop on.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Xema Xema is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
the ship is being towed to shore.
Or is it? I heard this, but there also seem to be reports that it's under its own power.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Wheelz Wheelz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWhatsit View Post
It doesn't take long without working toilets before the whole place just stinks of human waste.
So apparently the fire or whatever disabled most of the bathrooms. The (not very well-written, IMO) article in the OP didn't make that clear. I couldn't imagine how 2 extra days at sea could so overwhelm the plumbing system, but it makes sense if the bathrooms weren't working since day 3, and this gives me much more sympathy for the passengers under those conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
According to an interview I just saw with one of the passenger's son not only are the lines really long when food is served the staff are allowing passengers to take as much as they want. Which sucks for the passengers at the back of the line because people are hoarding food and it's causing fights.
Sounds then as if the crew is mismanaging the food supply they do have. It shouldn't be that hard to impose some sort of portion control measures. You'd think there'd be contigencies in place for such a situation.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
60wag 60wag is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Why don't cruise ships have backup generators? Yea, it would take up some space but being able to run sewage pumps, ventilation fans and refrigerators seems like it would be worth it.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.