The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM

What is the latest high school slang?

I've been out of the high school loop for too long. Can any current or recent high schoolers or their teachers tell us what the latest slang words are? The last one I learned was "Freakazoid".

Please tell us adults so we can use them in the office.
Advertisements  
Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 AM

I'm digging the hep cats. They're saying aitch - ee double hockey sticks instead of hell, and L7 means square.

Oh wait, recent high school slang?! Nevermind.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Freakazoid? Really? That is so 80's!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFaerie
Freakazoid? Really? That is so 80's!
LOL! NWC got pwned! Epic fail, n00b!

For your reading pleasure: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/mobilew...n_1113329.html
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucanna View Post
LOL! NWC got pwned! Epic fail, n00b!

For your reading pleasure: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/mobilew...n_1113329.html
Man, that's from Canada in 2011. Might as well be 10 years old.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM

They are using terms like "no problemo", "eat me", "hasta la vista, baby", "chill out", and "dickwad." You can combine those into phrases like "Eat me, dickwad."
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM

Honestly, you're either going to pick up slang based on the group you're in, or you're just going to sound ridiculous using it. It seems to me that, short of specific scenes, like various music scenes or surfers that still require a lot of offline contact, a lot of modern slang is pretty much being generated and spread on the internet. So, chances are the best place to pick it up is to go to the sites that the scene you want to learn about uses, and see what they're saying.

Also, urbandictionary.com is a great resource for figuring some of this stuff out too.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 PM

All I hear continuously is: "I know, right?" It is the "like, totally" of this decade.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Use "fuck" as puncuation and you'll fit right in.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 PM

"Swag"
"Trill"
Oh, and using the phrase "hashtag" like they are on Twitter. "Hashtag awkward, Miss Bellissima!"
Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
IFUCKve been hearing buttfart and dickbutt alotFUCK

I havenFUCKt figured out their true meanings yet so in the meantime donFUCKt be a dickbutt and get buttfartFUCK

(I like this new use of punctation.)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Just like in the 80s!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiosaBellissima View Post
Oh, and using the phrase "hashtag" like they are on Twitter. "Hashtag awkward, Miss Bellissima!"
My 14-year-old daughter's friend, on the phone with her mom:

"Hashtag! Totes amazed!"

Pause. "Yes, I'm speaking English".

(Totes = totally)

Last edited by Toxgoddess; 03-18-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM

The one I hear sometimes is "You jelly?" for "Are you jealous of me?"
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalz
Man, that's from Canada in 2011. Might as well be 10 years old.
U mad bro? #likeIcouldgiveash!7

But seriously, did the OP ask for country-specific slang?

Also, linking to the first result of a search without really caring how relevant it is, is kind of a passive-aggressive way of saying, www.lmgtfy.com. Without, you know, saying something snarky like "dude, check out this on Twitter: #contemporaryslang". Or, "hey old man, why not ask your FB friends?"

But, I'm not being passive-aggressive. In the spirit of some of the joking posts so far, I hope the OP realizes I'm not being snarky, just "meta".

------------------
Sent from my iPhone 4S. And let me tell you something, trying to type on this itty bitty keyboard is murder on my carpal tunnel syndrome.

Last edited by Toucanna; 03-18-2013 at 08:54 PM..
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM

A small hijack: Following this Twitter feed: Modern Seinfeld (@SeinfeldToday), helps alert me to trends that I, as a middle-aged geezer, would probably never hear about as my fun, au courant hipster friends are pretty much nonexistent.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM

"my bad"= Im sorry...... "i'm down for that"= sounds like a good idea..... "low key" = casual, informal, easy......."ima" = I am, as in "Ima gonna call you later instead of Im going to call you later
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 PM

Sometimes I'll hear and use "jelly" for jealous. Like "He jelly." Seems to be understood a little less common form is to add "totes" for totally as in "He totes jelly." I think that's more internet slang than high school but I find it entertaining to use.

A new one I learned today is rachet, used as a adjective. "She bein' rachet." I think it means acting like an idiot, I don't know. I tried to look it up via urban dictionary but there doesn't seem to be any agreement.

There's the typical "swag" and "yolo" as well. To get "blinked" means to get pulled over by a cop. That's all I know, thank god.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightlystarched View Post
All I hear continuously is: "I know, right?" It is the "like, totally" of this decade.
I'm a teacher and yes, this is correct.

Quote:
"Swag"
"Trill"
And saying "JK" instead of just kidding. And OMG instead of ohmygod.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
An 8th-note short of a 4/4 bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollhouse View Post
"my bad"= Im sorry...... "i'm down for that"= sounds like a good idea..... "low key" = casual, informal, easy......."ima" = I am, as in "Ima gonna call you later instead of Im going to call you later
Also, "Ima" without the "gonna", like "Ima call you later."

I suppose in this case, "Ima"= I'm + gonna.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonikosuru View Post

A new one I learned today is rachet, used as a adjective. "She bein' rachet." I think it means acting like an idiot, I don't know. I tried to look it up via urban dictionary but there doesn't seem to be any agreement.
Ratchet has been urban slang for a long, long time. Recently, my little white, upper middle class debate kids have started using it. . . totally improperly. For a woman to be ratchet, for instance, she needs think she's hot shit. . . while really being a hot mess. You know what a hot mess is, right?

Anyway, the kids are now using ratchet to mean stupid. Sort of in the way kids in the not so distant past would say 'gay' to mean 'stupid.' ie: "Ugh, that movie is so ratchet!"
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 PM

Help a geezer out. "Swag". I'm guessing it doesn't mean free tchotchkes given away at industry specific conventions?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 PM

Most people use "swag" as another way of saying cool. ie:

Person 1: I just got an A on my paper!
Person 2: Swag! Congrats!

So, if you have any confusion about meaning 1, just think of it as a synonym for groovy.

'Swag' can also mean a cool person with style. A man may have 'swag' if he's wearing a nice suit, smells good, and is well put together.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

I bought my grandson a new TV last year. His comment when he got it: "Baller!" I'm assuming that means "cool, daddio" in today speak.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollhouse View Post
Are you, by any chance, reading words from the pull-out lyrics to "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre, circa 1994?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
...'Swag' can also mean a cool person with style. A man may have 'swag' if he's wearing a nice suit, smells good, and is well put together.
Kids that are full of themselves will call themselves "swag".

Ah, BUT ... the cool kids look down on the douchebags* that act all "swag". And so they laugh at them behind their backs and claim that SWAG = "Secretly We're All Gay."

*still the most-used slang label ever, according to my college kids

Last edited by digs; 03-19-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 AM

swol = ripped = muscular/strong

I learned that from my high school students.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 AM

Swag is just short for swagger. I'm sure you've heard of a cool person described as having swagger or something along those lines.

And some of you do have a funny idea of what "latest" means. Not that I'm up on all of it, I just learned the word saditty the other day. Not sure how it flew under my radar for so long.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

The slang at my High School, back in the early 80s, was very regional. I don't think it was even used at the next school over (though that was about 50 miles away, as I lived out in the country).
Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 AM

Posting from phone, so don't can't post as much as I want to, but I will point out that ratchet means tacky and ghetto. If I had to guess, I would bet it's derived from "wretched", probably from down south. I heard it from southern folks first. I love slang. It is very hard to get into it though without either constantly using it with others who use it or really loving hip hopor both. When it comes to street slang, I mean. Urban dictionary is way off lots of the time.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
The slang at my High School, back in the early 80s, was very regional. I don't think it was even used at the next school over (though that was about 50 miles away, as I lived out in the country).
It would be interesting (and I'm sure someone has done it) to see if slang, like fashion, is more uniform in the internet age.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM

I've heard that nowadays a popular slang term for drugs is "Joss Ackland's spunky backpack".
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 AM

Wow this thread is making some of you look way out of touch!

I am 40 but since I play Warcraft I am completely up to date on today's slang... try it! ><
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
Posting from phone, so don't can't post as much as I want to, but I will point out that ratchet means tacky and ghetto. If I had to guess, I would bet it's derived from "wretched", probably from down south.

I believe you are right with it being a derivative of wretched. And you are also right with the tacky and ghetto point. . .I just didn't want to be the asshole white person saying it, so thank you for clarifying .

Last edited by DiosaBellissima; 03-19-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxgoddess View Post
My 14-year-old daughter's friend, on the phone with her mom:

"Hashtag! Totes amazed!"

Pause. "Yes, I'm speaking English".

(Totes = totally)
My 15 year old son uses "totes." He also responds to something he finds funny by saying "LOL" rather than just laughing. He pronounces it as one word, lohl, rather than spelling it out el oh el. If he's telling me about something that was funny earlier he'll say that he lolled.

Just read back. JK is also in frequent use.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 PM

za and da is how cool kids say pizza and soda. We are too busy for unnecessary syllables
Old 03-19-2013, 03:15 PM

A kid at work was raving about some new video game and called it "dank".
I guess that's a good thing.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM

Ham= hard ass motherfucker
Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM

My favourite current slang (well, maybe a few years off current) but I still hear it is "Random", used for something I would call bizarre or out-of-left field. But it is also used for uncategorized, like random people I don't know. My student tenant would say things such as "Well I went to Jenny's to watch a movie, there was her, her roommate,her roomate's boyfriends and some Randoms. I thought it was gonna be a girl's night but there were guys there and ...long story short Random guy 3 and I ended up (some expression I don't remember that meant making out and doing everything but sex)"

She "cheated" on her long distance boyfriend with Random Guy three. I really had no opinion on the boyfriend thing, but the fact she made out with a guy she was still calling Random3 kind of made me wonder.

Other uses of Random! are funnier, like when someone gets a super extra long french fry at McDonald's, or two class mates meet up on a bus. Like OMG, so Random!

Last edited by Mona Lisa Simpson; 03-19-2013 at 04:30 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
IFUCKve been hearing buttfart and dickbutt alotFUCK

I havenFUCKt figured out their true meanings yet so in the meantime donFUCKt be a dickbutt and get buttfartFUCK

(I like this new use of punctation.)
I'm laughing like a hyena at this!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Pumpkin View Post
A kid at work was raving about some new video game and called it "dank".
I guess that's a good thing.
'Dank' has been slang for weed since I'm pretty sure weed was invented. IE: 'pass the dank.' So, the kid is comparing his game to high quality weed. Totally an appropriate thing to say at work, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
Ham= hard ass motherfucker
Incorrect. HAM means hard as a motherfucker. One goes HAM, like the song. Along the same lines, people will sometimes talk about going Honeybaked, which is just another way of saying they're going HAM.

Last edited by DiosaBellissima; 03-19-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 05:26 PM
An 8th-note short of a 4/4 bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post
za and da is how cool kids say pizza and soda. We are too busy for unnecessary syllables
My sister and I (in our mid-twenties) use "za" just because we think it sound ridiculous (and somehow amusing.)
Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Don't forget apps and zerts. Or, if you'd like more Tom Haverfoods.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
'Dank' has been slang for weed since I'm pretty sure weed was invented. IE: 'pass the dank.' So, the kid is comparing his game to high quality weed. Totally an appropriate thing to say at work, imho.

Incorrect. HAM means hard as a motherfucker. One goes HAM, like the song. Along the same lines, people will sometimes talk about going Honeybaked, which is just another way of saying they're going HAM.
I'm picking on you because I could sit and have a drink and kick some slang with you any day, sista.

disclaimer: Even though I am speaking like a knowitall, I don't really know it all; I just love slang, especially ghetto/hip hop slang:

Going "Ham" has been out for years. Years before Jay Z or Kanye came out with the song H.A.M. and applied the backronym "Hard As a Motherfucker", people were using Ham without the 'hard as a motherfucker' stuff attached. Rapper Pill has a song called "Trap goin' Ham" released about 4 or 5 years ago and it certainly was in use before that. It did pick up more mainstream usage with Jay Z and Kanye West's song.

That brings me to something I find fascinating about slang. It is never really 'new'. What seems to happen is that something will be used, and used on a street level or underground level for YEARS or even decades before it finally 'BLOWS UP' on a commercial level. So, you will hear underground rappers talking about 'bling' starting in the 80's, and then you will have a commercial artist make it the NAME of his top 40 rap song, and that is when it becomes more commonly used. In other words, it is almost impossible to say what the 'new' slang is.

One thing I have noticed with urban/black street slang is that it is common lately for a completely mundane phrase to become a 'thing'.

For instance, the following phrases, which anyone would say at anytime about anything has become popular as slang phrases that everyone all of a sudden all say a lot...

"It's not that serious" (people have been saying this a lot for some years now and I hate it on the same level as I hated "It is what it is")

"If you like it, I love it" (I hate this one too).

"What you eat don't make me shit" (I loathe this one. I have changed it to "what you don't read doesn't make me dumb".)

If someone does something to you that upsets you, they may say, "Oh, I see you feel some type of way", or you may say, "Yeah, I'm feeling some type of way about that."

If you like something, you may say, "I fucks with that". I like Diosa, so I would say, "Oh, yeah, I fucks with Diosa." (this is the only 'phrase' one that I like)

So some of the above phrases seem strange to me that they should be singled out for constant use, but, there you have it.

I love 'internet' slang too, but I do notice that any internet slang that borrows from hip hop tends to be very, very old or very corny. Like that YOLO stuff from Drake...just corny. And that sucks because the philosophy behind it has been a life motto of mine, and now it's all corny and wack.

And Diosa, you don't fool me. I knew from the start that when you say 'ratchet' you are thinking "Jacked up multicolor lacefront weave with an inch wide "invisible part', four inch nails sharpened to a stiletto point and silver stretch pants. I know girl, cause I've seen your pics and your style is the opposite of ratchet. But believe it or not...sometimes those ratchet girls be up in the club looking so... creative that I'm impressed. Sometimes.

But to recap real quick, it is hard for anyone to ever have a new slang because it is so gradual. Take for instance a hip hop group like Wu Tang. It became very popular and their slang began to take off as more and more people learned about the group. But their slang largely comes from something called The Nation of Gods and Earths which is basically a philosophy that teaches that the black man is god. So if a kid says to me today, "That's my wiz over there" referring to his girlfriend, I realize that the slang may be new to that kid, but for me, remembering those NoGaE lessons as a child, I know that calling your girlfriend your wiz is more than something from a Method Man song.

I could talk about this subject all day, but I've rambled too long. I will instead thank you guys for introducing me to 'dank'. I never knew that one.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seate
But believe it or not...sometimes those ratchet girls be up in the club looking so... creative that I'm impressed. Sometimes.
I actually agree with you. Sometimes, somebody can look so ridiculous that it just works. Take, for example, a lot of Nicki Minaj's early looks-- think just post mixtape, just signed, still a feature girl. She'd wear those stretchy pants with painted on pockets, the hot pink and black weave, spider lashes, long, airbrushed acrylics, a Barbie necklace,and bamboos. . . and look fucking fantastic. It can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
I could talk about this subject all day, but I've rambled too long. I will instead thank you guys for introducing me to 'dank'. I never knew that one.
I've only ever heard white, middle class, suburb living stoners use the word 'dank'. Except I'm pretty sure there's at least one or two rap songs about passing the dank. Maybe I'm misremembering.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I actually agree with you. Sometimes, somebody can look so ridiculous that it just works. Take, for example, a lot of Nicki Minaj's early looks-- think just post mixtape, just signed, still a feature girl. She'd wear those stretchy pants with painted on pockets, the hot pink and black weave, spider lashes, long, airbrushed acrylics, a Barbie necklace,and bamboos. . . and look fucking fantastic. It can happen...
Yeah, I know what you mean. And also, Lil' kim in this era. You gotta have that certain something to pull it off, I guess.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 PM

My teen just referred to something as "fresh." As in "cool." As I chortled at her for using 80's slang, she informed me that Jersey Shore had made that current again.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM

If my middle school students don't stop using "salty" to mean "oh, you just got told", I may have to fail them all.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM

"Salty" means you are upset that and acting pissy because you (usually) got put in your place/ look stupid/ got played.

My favorite slang story from late:
I'm Facebook friends with some folks who are about a decade older than I am (so, late 30s, early 40s) and their Facebook friends skew a bit older than that. Anywho, one day, a 37 year old friend posted this after hearing that 'Thrift Shop' song by Macklemore: "This song keeps talking about popping tags, what the hell does that mean?"

Cut to 10 different people all postulating about what popping tags means-- and they've all decided it means stealing. One declares that he looked on Urban Dictionary and it defines it as stealing, so it's definitely stealing. One says she used to work loss prevention and they used to listen to the sound of popping tags to know someone was stealing, so it's definitely stealing.

So, I come in and point out that. . . well, that's not what it means in rap music at all. It just means shopping/ buying new clothes. If you're regularly popping tags it implies you've got money to be shopping all the time, so you're doing quite well for yourself. In that song, the singer is using the phrase ironically, because she brags about popping tags at a freaking thrift store?

"BUT URBAN DICTIONARY SAYS IT'S STEALING!"

It was about that time I had to educate these 40 somethings about how Urban Dictionary works and that they need to look at the up AND down votes to determine whether something is actually an accepted definition. UD says a lot of stupid things.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

We actually discussed "pop some tags" this morning. My gut feeling: it means "show off some designer labels", as in buying and wearing new clothes.