The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider crazy View Post
When I started playing, I first needed to figure out how the game worked. Once I "got it" I could see the LOWEST score was the object. Since I had spent so much time on FreeCell, I didn't care if it had multiple suits or not, I just wanted the LOWEST SCORE.

So began my study. I have played thousands of games and have found you can win every one, if you set your mind to it. There is little difference if you back track...the score varies little, which you would THINK it would...

My AVERAGE lowest score is 86 moves. It's really nice when the next 'deal' of cards throws them up on right where they need to be. That's the ONLY difference that will lower the score, and you never know, till it happens.

I am going for 85 moves or lower and will post it, with proof, if I do.

That's my take, hope it helps anyone trying to win.
What is your longest winning streak?
Advertisements  
Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 AM

I've never won on the hardest difficulty, but I tend to play games like this and FreeCell on auto-pilot.

Is there one of these threads for the Pinball "Space Cadet" game that came with Windows XP? I once played a game of that which lasted around 5 hours. By the end I was completely sick of it, but I wanted to get a huge score for the high-scores list. I was so pissed when I found out that it apparently discards any score over 99,999,999. And I never completed the tier-2 "Secret" mission.

The tier-5 "Maelstrom" mission was fun as hell, though.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I'd guess not all games can be won - without thinking about it how to actually do it, you should be able to build a deck that is impossible.

I know that people used to think that Freecell was always beatable, but I've seen setups that can't be beat.

FYI. Played freecell forever and found game I could not win. Got info later that game was indeed impossible to win but suppose to be the only one.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:14 AM

Intermediate level. I am improving . Now my current streak is 823 games 97% , really close to 98%.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 AM

sounds like what I am doing also on intermediate. Was going for 1000 game winning streak and remain at 100% but after resetting because someone would ruin game and I have accidentally ended it by going to fast on the undo and hit new game. Gave up resetting and trjied to be more careful but tonight did it again. Hit new game by accident. Average had dropped down to 98% but this last streak got it up to 99% before screwing it up. Got to 538 straight games with a high score of 1626. Doubt if I'll go at 1000 again. Frustrating as hell when you wipe a game off after that long a streak!!!

Be interested in tough games on how many moves it took to win....
Have a couple at ard 5000 moves, few more 3000, several 2000,, rest sll over the place
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong-lz View Post
What is your longest winning streak?
Playing 4 suits I reached a win streak of 500 (I mentioned in an earlier post that when I reach 218 win streak I accidentally restarted a game when I intended to return and try again - I completed that game and then went on to a streak of 282 which made it 500 in a row even though my stats only show longest streak of 282)...Once I reached 500 I stopped caring and decided to go for highest scores for a while.. Never had to use 5000 moves but did have a couple about 4500. Quite a few times during the streak I thought I may have found an impossible game but because I was determined to keep the streak going I wouldn't give up and ultimately found a way to finish the game even though sometimes you needed to do a stupid move or two at the start of the game or deal new cards even when there were still obvious move which could be made so that things worked out later. can't say there is definitely a always a way to solve it but having found solutions to 500 in a row it seems that it may well be designed to always have a solution.

When I started my streak my win percentage was way down about 12% because I was playing for high scores at first. Thanks to the streak it is now up at 65% but I have noticed that ever since I reached 65% I have had a run of about 10-15 games in a row where I needed 1000+ moves (usually because in each games there is one card, such as jacks or eights or whatever that don't get dealt until very late in the game then they all come at the same time) - Up until I hit 65% such games were very rare but I have had that happen time after time since then.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 PM

Winning streak

Still playing 2 suits. Winning streak 1006 . My winning % is 98 now, I wish i tried harder when i started playing. I think now that 100% is possible. What do i need to do to get higher scores? right now its only 1277
Old 06-03-2013, 03:31 PM

no-go position

Has anybody got to a no-go position: that is a position with less than or equal to 9 cards on table and still have cards on the pile?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM

My brother did, once. I think he was playing with one suit.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM

First, Spider Solitaire is different on Windows 7 from XP: you can undo right to the start of a game.

Second: I now believe that Spider Solitair 4 suits (Advanced) on Windows 7 is always solvable. In response to the comment above, that it is possible to make a deal that is not, agreed; but the deal is not necessarily random. My longest sequence of wins is 130 but others have reported (in a different thread) more. I now "cruise"--quit a game if I get tired of it or have to reboot. I maintain a "cruise" average of about 85%.

Last: there's been a debate elsewhere about whether "undo" is better than "no undo" (nundo). That is, in my belief a personal choice; there's skill in both. However, there's no doubt that using undo requires a more extensive strategy than nundo. The reason is that an undo player develops--in order to end a game as quickly as possible--exactly the same initial strategy as the nundo player. However, the undo player then employs further strategies to detect where untried paths lie, including consideration of where the dealt cards will land. In a recent game, the hand dealt 5 jacks and a king on the last draw and it took me quite a while to figure out how to not get the immediate message that the game was over (no move could be made after that last draw).
Old 06-29-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbn View Post
Has anybody got to a no-go position: that is a position with less than or equal to 9 cards on table and still have cards on the pile?
Yes, that can be done, I've done it. And you lose unless you undo.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:45 AM

I play the two suit game and ONLY allow alternate color columns...in other words I never complete two of the same colors in a row. I always alternate. I don't mind using the undo key because sometimes I have a choice of a card to move to reveal a card beneath and i check them out to see which gives me the most options. I follow the following rules...
1. always move the highest possible card to the same suit (unless there are open columns and moving another card allows a hidden card to be turned or a suit completed...)
2. Complete all same suit moves first ((unless there are open columns and moving another card allows a hidden card to be turned or a suit completed...).

and 3. alternate completed columns...

my success rate is around 75% or better. I don't complete all games I start and I quit games that can easily be won if I have to complete two of the same suits in a row.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsurvey View Post
I searched on Google and had found someone had 57 straight wins on Spider Solitaire 4 suit game.

At that time I was on about 40. Today I reached 58

I now see 11sDad has reached 72 - wow
Was soooo proud until I saw 11sdad score Well done....

And another with 88 found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o-mNq2VsC4
I've had a couple of stretches of over 100 games but someone reported on another thread on this board that they'd reached over 200.

To add to the discussion:
  • I'm increasingly sure that every game is winnable, although I've had games that required several thousand moves to find a win
  • I've just stumbled on a quirk in Windows 7 that apparently doesn't restart the count if you restart your computer in the middle of a game! This allows you to cheat if you get a difficult game. (Not sure what you'd gain by cheating other than reporting bogus results here).
  • You get better at the game as you play. I usually try for a high score until it is clear that that isn't going to happen, and then start to undo.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 AM

Of course you are playing the newer version, when you can undo dealings. But even in that is the case, what if there are all kings hiding until the last dealing - that could be uninable
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 AM

Of course you are playing the newer version, when you can undo dealings. But even in that is the case, what if there are all kings hiding until the last dealing - that could be unwinnable. Right now, I am playing an old version. Played 3850 games in total (two suits). Have been climbing from the about 30% winning rate to 61%. When I do play the newer version, it is about 98-99%.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Since this thread 's been bumped, has anyone else noticed that, when you're playing with 4 suits, the last card to be turned over has a slight tendency to be an ace or a king? Obviously the chance of them being on the back row is standard, but maybe I'm experiencing confirmation bias?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 PM

Winning streak

Right now i am on a 1845 games winning streak 2 suit. The most moves i had to make was over 2000.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:33 PM

I believe on Win 7 and 8 each 4-suit deal is beatable. Yes, in theory you could construct a hand that isn't but I don't believe that these are random deals. My max in-a-row (all assuming 'undo' of course) was over 100 (114 I think) and I averaged 88% over 1000+ games. On that run I bailed out deliberately on games that proved too tedious as I like the variety of new games but still usually came close to winning each of those.

Spider is different on each OS. XP was more difficult because you couldn't undo a 'deal' so I'm not sure that every hand was beatable. But on Win 7 it was. I'm now on Win 8.1 and what a pain that is--both the OS and Spider on it. On 8.1 MS is pushing XBox at every turn. Spider is slow and it seems that all hands are very difficult to beat, in part because the game is so slow and undo so sluggish. Have half-considered trying to copy over the Win7 executable and seeing if it runs. Anyone tried this?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobowo View Post
I believe on Win 7 and 8 each 4-suit deal is beatable. Yes, in theory you could construct a hand that isn't but I don't believe that these are random deals.
I'm not sure this is correct. I've come across deals where little could be done, and I'm batting 96%+.

And it's trivial to construct hands that are unwinnable.

Since you're an expert, have you noticed that, when you're playing with 4 suits, the last card to be turned over has a slight tendency to be an ace or a king? Obviously the chance of them being on the back row is standard, but maybe I'm experiencing confirmation bias?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM

100% - 4 suits

Hi,

I strongly believe that every Spider Solitaire 4-suit games are solvable (with undo's of course).

My record (so far):
Games played: 159
Games won: 159
Games lost: 0
Percent won: 100%
Wins with undo: 11
Total time played: 11d 17h 51m 7s
Avg game time: 106m 21s
Shortest win time: 14m 4s
Longest win time: 976m 35s
Fewest winning moves: 179
Most winning moves: 375
Highest score: 29256

I will report if I lose.

I started playing to prove that all games are winnable. Seems so so far.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucster View Post
I strongly believe that every Spider Solitaire 4-suit games are solvable (with undo's of course).
It's trivial to construct deals which are impossible to solve.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:19 PM

About a year ago I had to get a new laptop and since then my record on Adv Spider Solitaire with 4 suits is

Played 2426
Won 2423
Longest winning streak 1833 (still ongoing)
Longest losing streak 1
Win percentage 99% (99.8763%)

The only times that I havent won the game was when (three times so far) I accidentally restarted the game when I only intended to go back and keep playing so I am pretty sure that every game is winnable
Old 01-22-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I've pretty much said, screw the high scores, which are a matter of getting to a win with the fewest moves; I'm going for the win, no matter how convoluted the path.

The problem is that there's a serious tradeoff: trying to be economical in your moves can really reduce your chances of winning.
This

And I'll back out and try other moves if I don't like the way it's going.

I only play two suits

1750 games
800 wins for a 45 percent win rate ( it's been slowly but steadily climbing upwards) longest losing streak is 20 (which was a long time ago)
Longest winning streak is 9

Best score is 1174
Old 02-15-2014, 10:38 PM

I have been playing since Nov 2011. I only play Advanced, as anything else is too easy
My statistics are
Played 1891, won 1753 (92%)
Longest winning streak 104
Longest losing streak 7
Current streak 51
Highest score 1144

I do use undo a lot, and know every game can be won..
Old 03-15-2014, 06:28 AM

Got my winning streak up to 2300 now (on advanced level) and it's still ongoing.

Stats are played 2893
won 2890 longest
longest losing streak 1
win percentage 99% (99.896%)

I don't bother about highest score because its easy to get it as high as you want:-

For unlimited high score wait until you get to a point where you finish a suit but leave yourself no more moves after that. You get 100 points for finishing the suit but it will bring the game to an end and you will get the option to start a new game or go back and try again. If you chose to go back and try again you will not lose the 100 points for clearing the last suit so you can make the same move again and get another 100 points and then you can repeat that as many times as you want to to rake up a huge (but very boring) high score.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:11 PM

Four suits 'True' Wins

Anybody else consider 'undoing' cheating? If so what are your statistics?

My mother used to always play and I would make fun of her for it till I was bored one day and got hooked. I play only four suits and only the version you get for free with Windows XP. My mother was terrible. Had less than 1% win rate.

I have a 20% win rate. That is with no 'undos' or restarts. I don't care how many moves it takes. It's all about the wins. My win percent slipped below 20 and I fought for a long time to get it back. I am now at 76 wins and 302 losses ( on this computer... I've played a lot more games than that ). I think I need to retire from this. It is not out of control. I have a girlfriend and a life, but I really think I need to be more productive with my free time.

So just curious how good I am before I hang it up. If I really am good, I may consider coming out of retirement to compete in the Spider Solitaire World Championships, but only if I get some fat sponsorship deals from it....
Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 AM

4-suit playing for 2 years now

my stats are

games played 437
won 184
high score 1148

yes I back out to the beginning a lot and exit so I've really lost like 500 games

interesting what scots_nomad says about being able to cheat up the points. my 1148 is valid (152 moves). I've seen others saying they have scores of over 1200 which means less than 100 moves if not cheating. that's pretty frickin awesome if so.

anyone else ot there, what your least moves games
Old 03-29-2014, 12:15 PM

I have noticed that on Windows 7 I seem to be getting the same deals frequently. I don't undo, so sometimes these games don't get too far and maybe only the top of the stacks seem similar. Or perhaps it was always that way and I didn't notice. Anybody else seeing this?

Last edited by TriPolar; 03-29-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 PM

seapuppy statistics

Four suits
9.7% wins
Shortest time 12m 46s
Fewest moves 191
48 wins without undo
High score 63007
Longest winning streak 3
Old 04-12-2014, 01:55 AM

I'm your typical SS addict (for many years now) and only play two suits. I also use the undo feature, but am not so ambitious to use it to length to solve a deck.
So I usually solve roundabout 80% of the games.
My high score however is 1384 and I guess this makes me the world record holder. At least I have not come across a score even remotely as high as this.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 PM

I have been playing 4 suits SS for several years now, always get them out, only question is how long it takes me. From an average of 20 mins to one which cumulatively took 8 hours over several days when you could save the game under XP version. Often have to undo, and in the Windows 7 version, sometimes my moves exceed 3000. Believe it is possible to get every game out, and so far I am proving that belief is correct.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanda View Post
Believe it is possible to get every game out, and so far I am proving that belief is correct.
It's trivial to construct deals that are unwinable.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM

It is, but are the deals in the program random? Maybe they only use starting conditions that are winnable.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
It is, but are the deals in the program random? Maybe they only use starting conditions that are winnable.
As mentioned previously it seems like the deals aren't simply random. I see too many deals that are initially identical for the exposed cards and the ones that can be uncovered without dealing more cards. So it may be possible that the all deals you can get are solvable. I'm not spending the time to check out each one.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
It's trivial to construct deals that are unwinable.
Quartz - I did not think all games were winnable, until I persisted, and now it is more of a case, of how do I win the game, not will I win the game. The change of attitude is surprising to me, at least
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanda View Post
Quartz - I did not think all games were winnable, until I persisted
As I said, it's trivial to construct unwinnable games - consider one where you are unable to move any cards at all - but they are clearly rare.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:25 PM

I'm a Spider addict and I only play 4 suits, the XP version which only allows you to undo the current deal, not the whole deal. Played 555,Losses:346, Wins: 209 percentage wins 37% (nearly 38), record 4 in a row.