The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 PM

Friends & Family hamster commercial

I'm totally in favor of hamsters in commercials. But, I don't get the AT&T friends and family hamster commercial. At all.

Why do they call the hamster "Dad"? Is the guy supposed to be the real dad? He looks too young to be the father of those kids. And why does the girl have birds flitting around her shoulders?

Is this just nonsense surrealism, or is there some point that I'm missing?
Advertisements  
Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 PM

I have no idea, but nonsense surrealism doesn't seem all that bad of a guess truth be told
Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 AM

The commercial in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TRecqzFIUM

Here's another one they're playing on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5A1OsCsaz4

The tag line is "Is the F for family or friends?"

My take is they are showing a group of people who are clearly meant to be seen as a family; they call each other dad and son and are sitting around a breakfast table as families do. But at the same time, they are clearly not related. They have different accents (even speak different languages), are different races, and apparently also different species.

So... are they family or friends? With the new Sprint plan, it doesn't matter!

(no explanation for the animated birds, though, I'm afraid )
Old 03-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

I feel like this ad should piss me off, but actually it works for me. (Works in the sense of I respect it, and maybe even like it, but not in the sense that it drives me to purchase Sprint service.) The blond girl playing piano and singing a ... I want to say Motley Crue? .. song in French sells it for me.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp00 View Post
The commercial in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TRecqzFIUM

Here's another one they're playing on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5A1OsCsaz4
Thank you! I couldn't find the damn thing at all, probably because it's a Sprint "Framily" ad and not AT&T. All I came up with was those Kia commercials.

Anyway. I think your explanation is right. "So... are they family or friends? With the new Sprint plan, it doesn't matter!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Charles View Post
I feel like this ad should piss me off, but actually it works for me. (Works in the sense of I respect it, and maybe even like it, but not in the sense that it drives me to purchase Sprint service.) The blond girl playing piano and singing a ... I want to say Motley Crue? .. song in French sells it for me.
Yeah, it doesn't work for me. It doesn't make any sense, just like their cutesy faux-word "framily," which just grates. And yeah, I get that they apparently came up with this partly as a riposte to the fake word complaint, but this just digs the hole deeper.

I do agree the girl playing the piano was a great touch. The song appears to be "Home Sweet Home", by the way. I'm just wondering if the publishing company handled the licensing, or if the band actually got involved when Sprint asked for it. I can sort of picture Vince Neil saying "I'm sorry, what?"
"Yeah, we're going to have a little blond girl with animated birds flying around her head playing the tune on a piano and singing in French."
"Um. OK. I guess"
Old 03-29-2014, 09:24 AM

I was similarly confused by the commercial and found that it's actually based on commercials from Japan. From the link:

Quote:
The quirky and effective SoftBank campaign featured a talking dog as the patriarch of an unusual Japanese family with a black son and a maid played by actor Tommy Lee Jones.
Sprint’s new ads feature a similarly eclectic family, but this one is headed by a hamster.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Yes, "eclectic" is certainly one word to describe a family headed by a talking hamster. I'm not sure, however, that it's strong enough.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:51 PM

The hamster is voiced by Andrew "Dice" Clay
Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
I'm totally in favor of hamsters in commercials.
That sentence would be a GREAT icebreaker. Or maybe the start of a short story.

Anyway, it seems like sometimes companies just go batshit insane with their marketing just so they have something memorable out there. Remember the Quiznos Spongmonkeys?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 PM

The commercial with the girl playing piano and singing "Home Sweet Home" in French kind of seems like an OTT Wes Anderson parody to me.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:54 PM

Well anyway, it's nice to know I can use Sprint and get low rates when I phone my hamster.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 PM

So we're just gonna let slide the fact that Tommy Lee Jones is apparently a maid in a Japenese commercial?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
So we're just gonna let slide the fact that Tommy Lee Jones is apparently a maid in a Japenese commercial?
Yeah. I think we all read it and then, as we were told as children, just said, "No."
Old 04-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0R--oskfaI

He's a maid with flashing yellow eyes, which possibly may be laser beams. At least, the family becomes very agitated by them, right before they all grow mono-brows. So, yeah.