Old 05-12-2016, 08:27 PM

Dinner Plates

Hello Dopers,

My wife has a particular issue with food touching on a plate. Nothing catastrophic where she freaks out, but I recognize she does not like it when I put a steak in front of her and and the juices run into her potatoes. I noticed it early on in our relationship but really never said anything and honestly did not think about ( I should have, I know).

She never complains, but I see her push her fork against each serving and try and keep a divide. So, over the years I tried to serve her things and keep them separate. Finally, one day I asked her and she said she prefer to have her items separated, especially meat dishes and side dishes, so juices do not run into each other. To her, it just grosses her out.

The poor thing must go nuts when she see my plate at Thanksgiving So, i tried to divide my plate up a little to, but I am the kinda guy that LOVES to mix food. MMMMMM, gravy, mashed potatoes and stuffing.... any who...

I am wondering, do any of you know of a very nice dinnerware company that specializes in divided plates? I have looked around and tend to see mostly kids stuff or plastic or tacky stuff.

But, what I want to give her for our 20th wedding anniversary is a set of nice divided plates. Not necessarily china, but durable ceramic or some other ware that is both presentable and microwave safe. This way, we can use them for dinner parties and such and she, and any other person who likes to keep their food separate, can eat from one of them and not feel like they are any different.

It is just a gift I would like to get her to let her know I care about her and watch and understand the little things she goes through in life, just like all of us.

Any ideas, leads?
Advertisements  
Old 05-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

My mother bought just such a plate for one of my sisters at a restaurant supply store.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 PM

Maybe something like those used for Japanese "bento" meals - link?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

These look okay, and they're porcelain, but they are kinda small.

These are stoneware.

Of course, if you like stainless steel, there are LOTS of options.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:16 PM

I poked around Amazon a bit - would something like this be acceptable?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

This is similar to that last one; a Corelle divided dinner plate.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:06 AM

Etsy has some pretty ones: https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/divided_dinner_plate

Another selection here http://www.sectionplate.com/

Looks like your wife shares her dislike for touching foodstuffs with a good many others.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:01 AM

20th wedding anniversary ???

Look around for a local potter ... you didn't mention money ... and I agree, she'd be worth every cent you'd pay to have custom plates made. Get that VISA card out, she deserves a complete set of new dishes, custom thrown, designed to her satisfaction.

The both of you deserve something really special ...

I'm certainly not a shrink, but in my completely uninformed opinion, I'd guess your wife is "on the spectrum". Is she picky about the fabric her clothes are made of, have trouble with words that have two definitions, poor eyesight/hearing? Does she have a relative narrow band of interests? The bad news is that she'll not be able to get SSI, but the good news is that she's probably very intelligent, you're lucky to have her in your life ... so get the custom dishes for her alright !!!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:13 AM

I, on the other hand, LOVE having the meat juices run into the potatoes. Yum!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:13 AM

If your wife has a sense of humor, the plates used in many prisons are compartmentalized. You might need to buy a gross, though.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I, on the other hand, LOVE having the meat juices run into the potatoes. Yum!
Ha ha, same here, and my wife is more like the OP's, but not quite as extreme. When I grill steaks I usually let them rest on a plate under foil for 5-10 minutes then put hers on a new plate and I use the resting plate with all the juices
Old 05-13-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Maybe something like those used for Japanese "bento" meals - link?
An excellent idea, but I think she wants round plates. But, thank you so much, she may actually like this idea.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
These look okay, and they're porcelain, but they are kinda small.

These are stoneware.

Of course, if you like stainless steel, there are LOTS of options.
Yes and thank you so much. I looked at those, but they are not a sort of china that is a single divided plate.

Thank you all so much for the ideas. I really appreciate the ideas.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob++ View Post

Looks like your wife shares her dislike for touching foodstuffs with a good many others.
OMG this it, thank you so much my friend. The sterling divided grey plate is something she would love.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital is the new Analog View Post
I poked around Amazon a bit - would something like this be acceptable?
I poked on Amazon too and did not find this. Yes it would be. I am not sure if I was using the wrong search terms or something.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
20th wedding anniversary ???

Look around for a local potter ... you didn't mention money ... and I agree, she'd be worth every cent you'd pay to have custom plates made. Get that VISA card out, she deserves a complete set of new dishes, custom thrown, designed to her satisfaction.

The both of you deserve something really special ...

I'm certainly not a shrink, but in my completely uninformed opinion, I'd guess your wife is "on the spectrum". Is she picky about the fabric her clothes are made of, have trouble with words that have two definitions, poor eyesight/hearing? Does she have a relative narrow band of interests? The bad news is that she'll not be able to get SSI, but the good news is that she's probably very intelligent, you're lucky to have her in your life ... so get the custom dishes for her alright !!!
Thank you for the idea. I did look for a local crafter but was unable to find a very good one. I think some of the ideas herein are great.

No, I do not think she is on the spectrum. Well maybe she is, but she does not worry about any of the other things you mentioned. I have life insurance out the wazoo so I know she will always be cared for, so I am not concerned about SSI.

But, in the end, it does not matter to me if she is on some spectrum. It has been the greatest 20 years of my life, she is my best friend and greatest ally.

You all were incredibly helpful. I am a little ashamed I could not find these while searching on the internet, but I kept finding crappy stuff. I probably should have just looked more before I asked you all.

Thank you very much for taking the extra time to search online better than I.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
If your wife has a sense of humor, the plates used in many prisons are compartmentalized. You might need to buy a gross, though.
LOL, I actually work in prisons. I think she wants round ones that look non-institutional.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob++ View Post

That one for the sterling Ohio plate is a single item. Man, that is what I want though. Sterling China in Ohio is out of business though.

I am gonna keep looking. You all remain awesome.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:07 PM

My search on your behalf... "portion plate"

http://www.amazon.com/Vertex-ARG-205...=portion+plate

http://www.amazon.com/Prolon-9928-3-...=portion+plate

"divided plate"

http://www.amazon.com/Corelle-Living...=divided+plate

http://www.amazon.com/CAC-China-COL-...=divided+plate

http://www.amazon.com/Dinnerware-Set...=divided+plate

Last edited by Jesta; 05-13-2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: "potion plate"
Old 05-13-2016, 08:42 PM

It would help to know her style. You could try something like
this if you are looking for a set.
Also, if you want to be spendy, maybe consider
fiestaware (you could probably make up a set in cobalt or ivory or mix and match colors).

Last edited by psychobunny; 05-13-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

If I were you, I would just try to find some way of subtly asking if this is a thing she would like. There's always the slight possibility that your wife might find the solution of divided plates embarrassing or patronising.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:22 AM

I agree with Mangetout. I love my wife dearly but I would never surprise her with something like this. If and when you find a suitable supplier, show them to her and ask if she would like them. Even better, if it's possible, take her somewhere to see and handle some. These things are never the same as the pictures if you don't already know the product.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mike View Post
... (snip) ...

You all were incredibly helpful. I am a little ashamed I could not find these while searching on the internet, but I kept finding crappy stuff. I probably should have just looked more before I asked you all.

Thank you very much for taking the extra time to search online better than I.
It's OK. As strange as it sounds, very few people actually have decent search skills. Everybody knows that Google is right there, and because they use it, they think they have search skills. But they don't.

On those occasions where I'm helping someone and looking over their shoulder as they search for one thing or another, I'm almost always amazed, and not in a good way, at the search terms they use. Apparently it is an art after all.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad View Post
It's OK. As strange as it sounds, very few people actually have decent search skills. Everybody knows that Google is right there, and because they use it, they think they have search skills. But they don't.

On those occasions where I'm helping someone and looking over their shoulder as they search for one thing or another, I'm almost always amazed, and not in a good way, at the search terms they use. Apparently it is an art after all.
I dunno if I was looking for such a thing if I'd have tried "portion plate." It seems like an odd turn of phrase to me.

Ages ago I'd bought (at Williams Sonoma I think) a stainless steel mesh cylinder for cooking pasta in. It was sized to fit in a stock pot and had a bail on the top so you could lift it out when the pasta was done, a lot easier than dumping a hot, heavy pot through a colander. It was crushed during a move recently and I'd been looking for a replacement. "Pasta strainer" yielding nothing like what I was looking for. Then I tried "pasta basket." Bingo.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 AM

One that I didn't see mentioned:

Most Indian restaurants serve the meal with each item in individual dishes on a tray. Including things you add to each other in your preferred proportions.

More dishes to wash, but guaranteed not to mix.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 AM

I think it's nice that you want to get her a special plate. I don't like my food touching either. I frequently use a fork to add that separation between items and sometimes use a napkin or paper towel to clean up the area of separation.

Just the other day, DH was attempting to add something to my plate that he wanted me to try. I already had my food items placed 'just so' and his incoming item was gonna mess with my already established order. I immediately felt anxious about it but managed to stall him long enough to make a proper space for the incoming item. Another time, he handed me a bowl of salad with a piece of warm, grilled fish on top. Yikes! So wrong! It actually gave me a stomach cramp. I had to deconstruct the whole thing. My thoughts about it were that 'a hot thing doesn't belong on a cold thing' and that 'salad dressing and fish can't touch.' I had to remove the 'damaged' salad pieces, clean the fish, etc. Yet, oddly, finding a bug in a salad would not bother me. Those things 'go together.'

I have quite a few food weirdnesses, but I know they are mine and that other people likely don't even think about things like that. I don't usually say anything about it or cause any trouble about it, but just fix the 'problem'. I eat the same 4 items for lunch every day and have done so for years. It just suits me to do so. It's orderly. Occasionally, I don't do it. That's OK, too. Items touching other items won't ruin my day, but I won't be happy about it either, so a plate with divisions would be nice to have. I do have a couple of psych diagnoses, if you had not guessed that already. LOL!

Last edited by Ca3799; 05-16-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:28 AM

If the phobia is really that intense you could always use multiple smaller plates or bowls.

I know people like this, too. I think it's a visual thing. If you ordered broccoli with a special beef sauce at a restaurant for $15, they would love it, but if the juice from their beef tends to run to the broccoli, it's a problem. It's really just a visual thing.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

How does she keep the food apart in her stomach?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
How does she keep the food apart in her stomach?
Rumen, reticulum, omasum, abomasum.

ETA OP, I'm not calling your wife a cow/ruminant.

Last edited by kayaker; 05-16-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Ages ago I'd bought (at Williams Sonoma I think) a stainless steel mesh cylinder for cooking pasta in. It was sized to fit in a stock pot and had a bail on the top so you could lift it out when the pasta was done, a lot easier than dumping a hot, heavy pot through a colander. It was crushed during a move recently and I'd been looking for a replacement. "Pasta strainer" yielding nothing like what I was looking for. Then I tried "pasta basket." Bingo.
Sometimes people overthink these things. I just Googled the exact words you used to describe it -- "stainless steel mesh cylinder for cooking pasta in," but without quotes -- and found it right away.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:25 PM

Like others have said you could just get some cafeteria trays like these. Easy to clean and stack. Also a great way to serve people in bad or even sitting in front of the tv because they keep everything together. Plus only $3.60 each!

Not sure if they fit into a dishwasher.

Last edited by Urbanredneck; 05-16-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:12 PM

I don't mind my food touching, but I don't like it when the wet part of one food (like pickle juice or meat juices, etc) seeps into other food on a plate. I always use a separate plate for wet foods.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Some people describe divided plates as picnic plates. A lot of depression glass sets included divided plates. Available in may colors.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:20 PM

Thank you all very much, I went with the Corelle white ones and with some of the glass depression dishes.

Ordered and on their way.

I know she will love them. Really appreciate it.

Last edited by Lucky Mike; 05-18-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Missed one of my orders.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:49 AM

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2941...-10?ref=market

We have a set of these which I think came from a diner. We love that they keep things separated, but it led to the family joke about having to come up with a "third thing" to fill out the plate.