Old 06-05-2016, 09:47 PM

Do any other foods have the "cilantro" effect?

Due to some people's genetic makeup cilantro tastes like soap. Are there any other foods or drinks that, because of a person's genes, tastes "off" to them?
Advertisements  
Old 06-05-2016, 11:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Supertasters have an much greater aversion to a range of bitter foods, and in some cases rate foods as bitter that other people don't. Being a supertaster is related to a gene variant that allows them to taste PTC and PROP (and possibly other chemicals), which are tasteless to most people.

Last edited by bibliophage; 06-05-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

It's not quite taste. but as smell and taste are so closely related, I'm claiming this one:

Asparagus makes your urine smell funky within a quite short time of eating it. Some people can't smell this at all.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:10 AM

There's a whole class of vegetables--including cauliflower, broccoli, and probably asparagus--that just smell like raw sewage to me. Now obviously I've eaten broccoli et al. and have not eaten raw sewage (is that obvious? I hope that is obvious), and once it's cooked and on a plate I can kind of handle the taste for awhile, but I'm not particularly fond and I can't eat a lot of it. On my own I would never even buy these vegetables, but my husband loves them.

I like cilantro, though.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
It's not quite taste. but as smell and taste are so closely related, I'm claiming this one:

Asparagus makes your urine smell funky within a quite short time of eating it. Some people can't smell this at all.
It only makes some peoples' urine smell funky, not everyone's. Whether it funkifies your urine or not is a genetic trait. The people who say they can't smell it probably are not being funkified.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:43 AM

From what I read here, Brussel sprouts is an other example. Some people can taste their bitter taste, others can't.

Apparently, it's genetics, but it's not related to being a supertaster, who would notice all "weird" tastes in all foods. I notice the foul taste of cilantro, but I don't feel the bitter taste of Brussel sprouts.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:14 AM

I am guessing (and Wikipedia seems to agree, though not footnoted), that durian may be another of these foods. For some folks, such as my wife and step-daughter, it is sweet ambrosia. For others, such as my doomed self, it smells like an open sewer full of rotting fruit and tastes like I would assume that sewer would taste.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 AM

Most people from Japan say root beer tastes like medicine. This is probably cultural rather than genetic; some common medicines in Japan smell like root beer, apparently because they use methyl salicylate.

How well established is the cilantro thing, by the way? All articles seem to point to one specific paper.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
The people who say they can't smell it probably are not being funkified.
In most cases, they probably are. Here's an article from Smithsonian.com
Quote:
Overall, scientists now conclude that most of the difference is in perceptionóthat is, if your urine doesnít seem to smell any differently after you eat asparagus, itís likely that you simply canít perceive the sulfurous compoundsí foul odor, but thereís a small chance itís because your body digests asparagus in a way that reduces the concentration of these chemicals in your urine.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:34 AM

That Wikipedia article, long ago, used to be really helpful but now is much shorter and leaves out a lot of stuff. Esp. in terms of the many different types of supertasters.

Some people are sensitive to fats and alcohol. The current article doesn't mention fats at all and mainly mentions alcohol in relation to other bitterness factors like hops.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:50 AM

I've heard that cucumber is another. To some it has a strong taste and to others it's just watery.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

It's worth noting that miracle berries (Synsepalum dulcificum) can alter your sense of taste. A protein in the berries temporarily suppresses your ability to taste sour flavors.

Presumably some people have a permanent condition similar to this and cannot taste some flavors that other people can.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferr View Post
I've heard that cucumber is another. To some it has a strong taste and to others it's just watery.
For me, cucumber is intensely flavored. And watermelon tastes like cucumber with sugar on it.

But I am far from a supertaster.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
In most cases, they probably are. Here's an article from Smithsonian.com
My mother and her mother do not funkify. Her father and sister do, as does everybody on the paternal side of my family. And we do not have so many bathrooms that we wouldn't be able to tell; the no-funkifiers can smell the other side's funk and we can verify that they do not leave that... "someone ate asparagus" cloud behind.

Who knows, maybe "reaction to asparagus" is one of those markers for ancestry

Sign me up as someone to whom cucumber tastes very strongly ("repeats" a lot too, I'm still tasting it several days after eating it); it gets diminished by curing it in salt, but I don't care enough about it to do that. And melon? My mother and one of my brothers can be swearing up and down that a certain melon is sweet as molasses, the other brother and I will be saying it tastes like raw cucumber and to kindly keep that thing away from us.

Last edited by Nava; 06-06-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:19 AM

I was relieved to read a few years back about how people can sense the taste of truffles very differently from most. I'm pretty adventurous with foods, like a lot of exotic tastes and so forth, but I've always found truffle to be revolting. Not just something I don't care for, but revolting as if you put your dirty socks in my mouth.

From the report I read back then, it's not just a matter of preference. Like cilantro, some people actually sense the taste of truffle completely different from most people.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:54 AM

Most people say that celery doesn't have much flavor, if any at all.

Me, I say that celery is the taste equivalent of someone scratching their fingers down a chalkboard.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Neither my daughter nor I like the taste of fresh tomatoes, even though we enjoy the tomato in nearly every other form. We figure it's some element in its raw make-up that puts us off. (And no, don't tell us to try 'your' tomatoes, been there and done that over and over with dozens of folks. It's the raw tomato, not the variety).
Old 06-06-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Neither my daughter nor I like the taste of fresh tomatoes, even though we enjoy the tomato in nearly every other form. We figure it's some element in its raw make-up that puts us off. (And no, don't tell us to try 'your' tomatoes, been there and done that over and over with dozens of folks. It's the raw tomato, not the variety).
Are you my 24th cousin?
I am 100% in your camp.

But

Not stewed, NO, not stewed, never !!!!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm the same way. I don't like the taste of raw tomatoes, even when they're in something like a sandwich or a salad. But I love tomato sauce - the cooking eliminates whatever unpleasant taste there was in the raw ones.

And even my family, all of whom are avid tomato eaters, have to admit I've given raw tomatoes a fair try on several occasions. They're just not for me.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Banana phloem - tastes bitter to some people, not to others. I, for example, can't taste the bitterness. I am not sure if this is because of the PTC gene or not, but I cannot taste the purportedly bitter chemical they had us taste on paper sticks in high school genetics, nor at the Science Museum a few years ago.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
Most people say that celery doesn't have much flavor, if any at all.

Me, I say that celery is the taste equivalent of someone scratching their fingers down a chalkboard.
With you there. Celery is just revolting. Especially celery seed. And it has ruined blue cheese salad dressing for me. I used to love BC dressing, until I cooked in a restaurant that used celery seed in its recipe. Since then (after 25 years), I cannot taste blue cheese without also [imagining I'm] tasting celery, even when I know damned well that there is no celery or celery seed in it because I made it myself.

Also, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach (any dark green vegetable, really), beets ... they all smell and taste to me like something that went bad and should have been thrown away three weeks ago.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:27 PM

Epazote. Smells fresh and minty to some and like gasoline to others.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:35 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
once it's cooked and on a plate I can kind of handle the taste for awhile, but I'm not particularly fond and I can't eat a lot of it.
That is why Hollandaise was made.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyguide3 View Post
I am guessing (and Wikipedia seems to agree, though not footnoted), that durian may be another of these foods. For some folks, such as my wife and step-daughter, it is sweet ambrosia. For others, such as my doomed self, it smells like an open sewer full of rotting fruit and tastes like I would assume that sewer would taste.
I thought durian smelled bad, but tasted good.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Maybe I should cut my son some slack.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
Hmm. Maybe I should cut my son some slack.
Everybody should generally cut other people slack when it comes to taste preferences. None of that "But you never had it cooked right." and such nonsense. What you can taste and what I can taste may have quite big differences.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
Due to some people's genetic makeup cilantro tastes like soap. Are there any other foods or drinks that, because of a person's genes, tastes "off" to them?
Pine nuts. To people who have a specific gene they taste horribly bitter.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I'm the same way. I don't like the taste of raw tomatoes, even when they're in something like a sandwich or a salad. But I love tomato sauce - the cooking eliminates whatever unpleasant taste there was in the raw ones.

And even my family, all of whom are avid tomato eaters, have to admit I've given raw tomatoes a fair try on several occasions. They're just not for me.
Tomatoes don't bother me raw, but most citrus fruit is too acidic for me. Once cooked that acidity is diminished and I love the flavors.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:48 PM

In my case, scallops and lobster. They have practically no flavor, to me, others love them. On the other hand, almost all dairy products make me gag.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Everybody should generally cut other people slack when it comes to taste preferences. None of that "But you never had it cooked right." and such nonsense. What you can taste and what I can taste may have quite big differences.
But it's also true that some foods are great when cooked properly, but completely nasty if cooked wrong (e.g. overcooked liver or broccoli).
Old 06-06-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I thought durian smelled bad, but tasted good.
Nope; at least to me. Custardy rotten onions. That's the best thing I can say about it. Anything armored that well is trying to tell you something.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
From what I read here, Brussel sprouts is an other example. Some people can taste their bitter taste, others can't.
These little demon heads make me retch if someone has cooked them in my kitchen within a few hours. Unbearably foul. Cilantro I really enjoy. I cannot taste avocados, my wife insists they have a flavor and devours them by the basket (Apparently I make a killer guacamole, just tastes like spices and paste to me).
Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

All of these people saying that foods taste bad to them... I wonder, are there any such foods where only some people pick up on the flavor, but like that flavor?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
But it's also true that some foods are great when cooked properly, but completely nasty if cooked wrong (e.g. overcooked liver or broccoli).
Yeah, it's possible that "you never had it cooked right", but I agree that people should be cut slack since the sense of taste can have huge differences.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
All of these people saying that foods taste bad to them... I wonder, are there any such foods where only some people pick up on the flavor, but like that flavor?
Not quite on topic, but I don't think dead roadkilled skunks smell bad. Good, even, if they're not too close. Reminds me of licorice.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Cilantro tastes soapy to me but I like it. Does that count?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorgirl View Post
Cilantro tastes soapy to me but I like it. Does that count?
Not only does this count, but it, like the asparagus-pee thing, is right on OP--on body chemistry inherently different than the norm; many of the other posts here are chacun a son gout stuff or commonly agreed chacun a everybody's gout due to cooking changing the food's chemical structure so radically.

Some people can fold their tongue (w/o using their own or someone else's hands), some can't.

Of course the case can be made for "my taste depends on _my_ (unique) chemicals," which is a different set of worms.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 06-07-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbang View Post
I was relieved to read a few years back about how people can sense the taste of truffles very differently from most. I'm pretty adventurous with foods, like a lot of exotic tastes and so forth, but I've always found truffle to be revolting. Not just something I don't care for, but revolting as if you put your dirty socks in my mouth.
THANK GOD THERE'S SOMEONE ELSE! I'm also pretty darn open with food-- a handful of things I'm super not keen on (uni, mackerel, lampredotto... um...yeah, a short list-- I'm sure there are things I haven't tried that are gnarly to me (have not tried fresh durian, natto, lutefisk, surstroming)), but also black truffle/tartuffo, which appears to be rated as amazingly delectable by so many people, and to me it tastes like ass. ASS, I SAY! Not a popular opinion, I guess.

Last edited by capybara; 06-07-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Lavender. Tastes like perfume to me.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:18 PM

I don't know if it's a genetic thing or not, but I find raspberries teeth-meltingly acidic. Even the ripest juiciest ones that my wife swears are as sweet as anything make me feel as if my tooth enamel is being liquefied.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Lavender. Tastes like perfume to me.
Tastes like perfume to me, too, as does jasmine... but I like those as flavors. I completely understand if someone else doesn't, but then, I'm pretty easy going about food likes and dislikes in other people.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:34 PM

Wow I thought I was the only one with the tomato problem, I could have written that post almost verbatim. I seem to like tomatoes in all their forms spaghetti sauce, ketchup, etc. but for some reason not their actual natural form. The thing is I want to like them, but every time I've tried to make myself eat any tiny bite of a real tomato I start gagging and can't even swallow it or I'll throw up.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

My spouse is another one who can't tolerate raw tomatoes but is just fine with cooked ones.

Me, on the other hand, can't tolerate them in any form.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

The salsa at Mexican restaurants must be hell for cilantro tasters/tomato haters.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
The salsa at Mexican restaurants must be hell for cilantro tasters/tomato haters.
As far as Cilantro I literally learned to cook originally because Mexican food was my favorite, then pretty much overnight around '88 every dish in every Mexican place was contaminated with that shit. I haven't been to a Mexican restaurant since 90 or so, there is nothing I can eat.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
As far as Cilantro I literally learned to cook originally because Mexican food was my favorite, then pretty much overnight around '88 every dish in every Mexican place was contaminated with that shit. I haven't been to a Mexican restaurant since 90 or so, there is nothing I can eat.
I rest my case.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just don't eat it. Actually, due to my tomato allergy I pretty much don't eat at Mexican restaurants at all. Also due to it, I have never actually eaten salsa ever.

Last edited by Broomstick; 06-07-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I also find that cilantro tastes soapy but still like it (in moderation), but that's in spite of the soapy component of the flavor, not because of it. I can still taste the other components of flavor, that are presumably the only part most folks taste, and I like them well enough that I put up with the soapy part.

And raspberries don't taste particularly acidic to me, but I do detect a certain... harshness, I guess? in them. It's not a dealbreaker, but there are definitely other berries I prefer for that reason. Also in fresh peaches, though I'm not sure if it's the same harshness, or two different but related sensations.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM

I like cilantro and it doesn't taste soapy to me at all, but, like many other people, i find arugula to be nothing but bitter, and so refuse to eat anything with arugula in or on it.
Brussel sprouts also taste bitter to me, but the one thing I came here to mention that apparently nobody has ever heard of is basil. There is at least one variety of basil that tastes to me like mold. Fortunately not sweet basil or its many cultivars, which I love. I suspect it's Thai basil that has that particular taste for me, but I haven't pinned it down for certain just yet.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:13 AM

A slightly different example might be sauvignon blanc wine. Hugely popular to some, but a significant number of people find it revolting, describing it as weak, thin and grassy. Leaving aside French versions like Sancerre wines, vast lakes of it are pumping out of NZ and being consumed happily.

Now one narrative about this is that it is inherently terrible and only popular among the bootless and unhorsed with no taste in wine. Certainly there are wine opinion makers who hate the stuff and can't understand why it exists. But the reactions seem to me to be too extreme for it just to be explained as a popular Emperor's New Clothes thing. It is so popular and yet so uncool with most opinion makers that it seems unlikely that the people who like it are just palateless rubes.

So the best explanation would appear to be that this is a genetic taste thing like the other examples above.