Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 PM

yellow jacket (?) help - need answer quick

Hi Everyone

I got a nest of some sort, and I need to deal with it this evening. It's in a terrible spot where a couple of folks have been stung and the family is revolting.

OK. The location is in the peak of the basement exit stairway. From that side I can see the softball sized nest. All I can see from there is the side of the nest. The entrance to the nest is in a space in the trim boards on the outside. I see them coming and going, but the geometry is such that they must be making a 90 degree turn about 3 inches from the nest.

So, if I shoot the entrance, I won't get much inside the nest. If I shoot from the inside, I can hit the whole nest but there is no visible orifice. I don't know how well the spray will penetrate from the side of the nest.

Due to a lucky quirk of the house, I have an exterior door between the nest and the house, so I should be able to close them in.

My thought is to first hit the entrance to the nest and then go round and hit the side, with the idea that they would be trapped in there

What are your thoughts on strategy here?
Advertisements  
Old 07-07-2016, 08:36 PM

Is there a way to bounce spray off of a wall onto the front of the nest?
If so, I'd wait until night, and then empty an entire can of foaming wasp spray onto the nest and cross my fingers.

Or, if you are daring, knock it down with a jet of water, and then spray it.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOlds View Post
Hi Everyone

I got a nest of some sort, and I need to deal with it this evening. It's in a terrible spot where a couple of folks have been stung and the family is revolting.
Oh I sympathize, so's mine. Uh, sorry. Seriously, though, I'm not sure you're putting enough thought into this: do you know whether you're allergic to stings, do you have protective clothing, have you ever taken out a nest before, etc.? Here's a very detailed strategy for getting rid of wasp/hornet nests.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:45 PM

At night, spray the hell out of the nest from the inside, spray the outside the next morning. Repeat for a couple of nights if needed. Use the long distance shooter spray, it throws a lot of liquid and can saturate the nest quickly, and you don't need to get close enough to worry about protective clothing and the like (but it's still a good idea to cover up).
Old 07-07-2016, 08:50 PM

... just keep spraying ... soak the nest ...
Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post

Or, if you are daring, knock it down with a jet of water, and then spray it.
Give yourself every advantage and use hot water. I had the advantage of living in the desert and having a garden hose sitting in the sun all day. But the scalding water managed to take the fight out of the wasps for a few minutes, which was all I needed.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:15 PM

OK. Thanks for the thoughts.

One entire can (value size!) emptied into the nest from the inside. I didn't wait around to see the results, but it was absolutely pouring off the side when I was done. Of course, now the curiosity is killing me...

And I don't know how anyone makes it to my age without knowing whether they're allergic. My yard is stinging insect central, and I get stung a few times each year. Funny how the fear of being stung is much worse than actually being stung
Old 07-07-2016, 09:18 PM

If they are yellowjackets and for some reason you don't get them all (the queen) they will vacate at some point and will not return. Those wasps do not nest in the same place twice.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:26 PM

There is a wasp and hornet killer available that drops them instantly. It is called Wasp-Freeze. It works by freezing them. Comes in an aerosol can and has a wide spray pattern and a very long reach. You will have to go to an exterminator supply place to get it. Amazon might have it. Wait until the evening when all of the wasps are home, then gas them all...instantly. The stuff at Lowes and Homo Depo is useless. They just fly off....mad.

Last edited by Oddball_92; 07-07-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 AM

Cheapest insect killer... You can use boiling hot water.
Just dump it on them and they are cooked .. dead basically..

Of course it represents a danger to yourself too though...
Old 07-08-2016, 06:57 AM

Shop vac with a half-inch of soapy water at the bottom of its catch-bin. Set the end of the hose by the nest entrance, and walk away for an hour or two. Best to do this in the middle of the day, when they're active. Any YJs coming or going will get sucked in; the soapy water will take care of any that don't get killed during their violent trip up the vac hose.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilder View Post
Cheapest insect killer... You can use boiling hot water.
Just dump it on them and they are cooked .. dead basically..

Of course it represents a danger to yourself too though...
Dumping boiling water on something over your head tends to represent a bit of a challenge.

Even if it wasn't boiling water, I'm not sure I could dump cold water on something stuck to my ceiling.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:11 AM

All the suggestions are appreciated. The shop vac idea would have helped with a nest a few years ago which was inaccessable, and as a result i had to drill holes in the sheetrock. I won that battle, but at the cost of having to repaint the kitchen. Did I mention I live in the worldwide capital of stinging insects?

Anyway, this morning the nest was a melted mess, and there is no sign of the bastards.

FWIW, I am generally live and let live, but when they come into my house and get all sting-y, I get kill-y.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:54 AM

I had those assholes try to build a nest above my garage door. The first time, it was about golf ball sized so I just took a shovel and smushed it along with the 2 or 3 pricks who were building the nest. a few days later, the shitheads were trying again in the same spot, so I went and got a can of wasp & hornet spray, and gave it a good blast. within ten seconds or so, the bastards went into a wonderful seizure and dropped to the ground.

They haven't tried again.

Sonsabitches.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did I mention I live in the worldwide capital of stinging insects?
Which is where?

See, in many areas we'd just say wait until dark and cold, spray , and maybe repeat. But we dont know where you are or how cold it gets at nite.

I wear long pants tucked in, long heavy canvas shirt, hat, gloves, dustmask and goggles.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:17 PM

For a nest in a hard to reach or awkward area, I'd shell out a few bucks for a professional to deal with it.

I've used the "bag it and drown them" method for free-standing nests hanging from a branch before.

Way it works is this: take a burlap sack out at night when the wasps are all inside the nest. Fix up a large bucket of water, and a heavy stone. Carefully and slowly raise the sack over the nest, them tie it around the twig the nest was on. Once the bag is tied the wasps can't get out. Then, cut the twig and place the nest-in-the-bag in the water. Put the stone on top to keep it submerged, and leave it there overnight.

Next morning - put the sodden nest in the sack full of dead wasps in a garbage bag and dispose of it.

Works a charm, but only on nests easy to get at.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Which is where?

See, in many areas we'd just say wait until dark and cold, spray , and maybe repeat. But we dont know where you are or how cold it gets at nite.

I wear long pants tucked in, long heavy canvas shirt, hat, gloves, dustmask and goggles.
I'm in southern NH, which probably isn't particularly bad in general, but my yard just seems to be a perfect habitat for wasps and yellow jackets. I actually got rid of the shutters on my south facing house because every single one of them would fill with nests.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I had those assholes try to build a nest above my garage door. The first time, it was about golf ball sized so I just took a shovel and smushed it along with the 2 or 3 pricks who were building the nest. a few days later, the shitheads were trying again in the same spot, so I went and got a can of wasp & hornet spray, and gave it a good blast. within ten seconds or so, the bastards went into a wonderful seizure and dropped to the ground.

Sonsabitches.
We found this nest because the basement door hadn't been used in a few days, and the nest had grown to where the opening of the door damaged it- which made them very unhappy. It seemed like after that they were more aggressive- though that's probably not actually true.

In any event, there is now an entire population that considers me the greatest monster in history. And I am OK with that.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:44 PM

I live in a brick house. About ten years ago I noticed a lot of hornets swarming around the wall over the front door. Then I noticed them going in and out of a small hole in the masonry. They apparently had built a nest within the brick wall, above the door. My husband squirted an entire can of bug killer into the hole, but they were still there. So I resorted to plugging up the hole. The little bastards who were trapped outside continued to swarm around the location for a few days, but eventually they were gone. So to this day, within my front wall is a hornet cemetery.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:49 PM

We have a block wall that is covered in Cat's Claw. One year, I started to notice a lot more paper wasps than normal buzzing around the pool, so I went out at night, and found 6 (!) nests buried in the foliage. I went the next day and got two cans of the foaming wasp spray, and then waited until night, put on my combat gear (jumpsuit, wool hat, goggles), and obliterated them one-by-one. Score: Me - thousands, them: zero.
I really hate those bastards.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
...the family is revolting.
Now now, they're not THAT bad.

From The Wizard of Id:
Rodney: "Sire! The peasants are revolting!"
King: <sigh> "I know."

[Sorry. We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.]
Old 07-09-2016, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post

Sonsabitches.
[Pedant hat on] Like bees, the worker-wasps are non-reproducing females so they're just bitches. [P h off]
Old 07-09-2016, 08:59 AM

We had some who had discovered a hole into a power outlet in our outside wall. I was able put some electrical tape over the hole and secure it, which pissed of the little bitches to no end.

The ones inside were separated my less than a mm from those outside and there was nothing they could do.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
[Pedant hat on] Like bees, the worker-wasps are non-reproducing females so they're just bitches. [P h off]
sorry, a couple of years ago they built a nest in one of the walls of my apartment bedroom, leading to some unpleasant surprises in the middle of the night. I'll use whatever bad words I can to describe them.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:52 AM

I had a nest in my mailbox (Well, in a hidden gap between the mailbox and the wooden post). I got stung 3 or so times while getting the mail before I realized that that was where they were coming from. I didn't even realize that I was allergic until I got stung the next year, again, so I tried to self-treat it each time with ice packs. The second year it happened, it actually got infected and had to go to the doctor, and he was the one who told me I was allergic and that I should have come to him as soon as it swelled up (I thought that was normal for wasp or yellow-jacket bites, whatever they were).
Old 07-09-2016, 10:34 PM

We had what must have been the world's stupidest wasps repeatedly try to build a nest in the gas-fired grill. Hubby woykd shut the lid and turn on the flame. Fried wasps. The few out foraging then tried to rebuild the nest with the same results. Took quite a few grill fires before they gave up or we cooked them all.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 AM

You have to be wary of dead bees. When walking barefooted, for example, the sting you receive is as serious as the one given by a live bee, all the more so if the bees as a group were agitated. I myself have experienced this many times.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Obligatory reference to "To Have and Have Not".
I tried to find the first part, with Walter Brennan, but only found the Lauren Bacall part; here you go.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I live in a brick house. About ten years ago I noticed a lot of hornets swarming around the wall over the front door. Then I noticed them going in and out of a small hole in the masonry. They apparently had built a nest within the brick wall, above the door. My husband squirted an entire can of bug killer into the hole, but they were still there. So I resorted to plugging up the hole. The little bastards who were trapped outside continued to swarm around the location for a few days, but eventually they were gone. So to this day, within my front wall is a hornet cemetery.
I did the same thing at a house I rented years ago. Except I skipped the bug spray part, I had a caulk gun handy already so I filled up the hole in the cement foundation with it. A few of the guys on the outside hung around trying to get back in but eventually left and I didn't see any more yellow jackets after that.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I tried to find the first part, with Walter Brennan, but only found the Lauren Bacall part; here you go.
Did you read the thread?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
In any event, there is now an entire population that considers me the greatest monster in history. And I am OK with that.
"Oldzilla Approaching..! Oldzilla Approaching!"

"Honey... did we give away all those micro-machines the kids used to play with when they were little?"
"I think they're in the basement somewhere. Why...?"
"...No Reason..."
Old 07-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Did you read the thread?
Yes, I did. Why?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:21 AM

The first part is right there...more or less.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The first part is right there...more or less.
Are you referring to your post? It was not clear to me that you were referring to the film. Maybe my humor detector is broken.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:39 PM

It is the speech you are looking for, word for almost word. I looked it up.

Sorry if you were not amused. I, for one, was.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It is the speech you are looking for, word for almost word. I looked it up.

Sorry if you were not amused. I, for one, was.
Are you telling me Walter Brennan says "wary" and "agitated"?

Sorry for the hijack, OP.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Heh I just had to remove another wasp nest - bald faced hornets in a tree. The nest was dangling over the driveway/sidewalk. The nest was hidden in foliage but we noticed it because my wife got stung - just standing on the sidewalk. Obviously we couldn't leave it, because just walking down the sidewalk was enough to trigger them.

Thing is, I didn't want to use the poison spray because the neighbourhood had lots of kids and pets running about. So I used the 'sneak up on them at night, bag them, then drown them' method.

I first put on an amateur bug suit - windbreaker, heavy gloves, head net, etc. Then I filled a bucket of water, put a couple of bricks aside, snuck up on the nest and slipped the pillow case over the nest - clipping the nest free of the tree. I held the bag closed and drowned it in the bucket, putting the bricks on top.

Worked well, but a very neve wracking procedure.

This am I saw a lone survivor attacking one of the gloves, which must have been sprayed with a pheromone.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:33 PM

Granddaughter pointed out a large wasp nest hanging from the eaves on the garage. Volleyball size. I had just run a lawn mower under it an hour before and never noticed it! Soaked it good with wasp spray for two days running and then trashed it. Hates the bitches!
Old 07-18-2016, 12:12 AM

Shop Vac like Machine Elf says. I have never put water in them, just use an already dirty vacuum or put some dust in it. The dust incapacitates the wasps effectively. Obviously best if you can suck up the whole nest but if you can only reach an exit they are using it will suck the buggers up.

Used a bunch of times, never been stung, always been fast, easy and non toxic. I have never opened the vacuum right away, always waited until the next day.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:18 PM

Here's a yellowjacket nest you definitely do not want to tackle unless you are a pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ynSPtTa9c

Woah.