Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 AM

What is the entire world pulling your leg about?

You know the story about the Emperor's new clothes? Where people can see that the emperor is naked, but no one speaks up, because of peer pressure?

Or, maybe this is more what I'm getting at: There's a prank, where someone tells a nonsensical and unfunny joke. The other people in the room laugh, and generally behave like it's the funniest joke ever. You don't see why the joke is funny, so you don't laugh. Only, after a while, you decide that since everyone is cracking up so much, the joke must be amazing, and so, not to be left out, you join in the laughter, and agree that the joke is hilarious. That's when everyone suddenly goes deadpan, and the jokester says: "There's nothing funny about the joke. We just wanted to see how long it took before you, too, started laughing."

Sometimes I feel like the entire world is trying to pull a prank like that on me. Cases in point:

The Usual Suspects. This movie always tops every list of twist endings. People always go on about it: "It's this AMAZING TWIST! It'll BLOW YOUR MIND! DUUDE!"

So I watched it, of course filled to the brim with anticipation. But (spoiler alert, sort of) there's nothing particularly interesting about the twist, and it's not a very good movie. I have no idea what everyone is on about.

Star Wars. People treat this movie like it's as culturally significant as Shakespeare, Homer and the Bible combined. Now, I'm not saying it's awful or anything, but look: It's some random science fiction movie from the late seventies. And yet, people are always geek-gasming over it non-stop like if they're all in some weird cult. I don't get it.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Various best-selling books, like the Twilight series, or the 50 Shades series. Really?!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:10 AM

Sports fandom: you really care whether the guys in red shirts who you've never met beat the guys in blue shirts who you've never met and you'll pay nearly a days wages to get up close to watch them beat them? Suuuuuuuure.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Bigfoot View Post

The Usual Suspects. This movie always tops every list of twist endings. People always go on about it: "It's this AMAZING TWIST! It'll BLOW YOUR MIND! DUUDE!"

So I watched it, of course filled to the brim with anticipation. But (spoiler alert, sort of) there's nothing particularly interesting about the twist, and it's not a very good movie. I have no idea what everyone is on about.
No twist is ever as good when you know it's coming. I hate people who tell you this crap. It's a pretty good twist, as far as twists go, but it's subject to fridge logic: later, on, when you're looking in the fridge, you start seeing real problems with it.

for me, it's got to be Breaking Bad. Why do you want to watch so many assholes become even more assholish? Yet the whole world seems to luuuuurve this show. I watched like three episodes and I hated everyone within five minutes.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Pokemon Go. Not the game, the idea that people have free will.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
No twist is ever as good when you know it's coming. I hate people who tell you this crap. It's a pretty good twist, as far as twists go, but it's subject to fridge logic: later, on, when you're looking in the fridge, you start seeing real problems with it.

for me, it's got to be Breaking Bad. Why do you want to watch so many assholes become even more assholish? Yet the whole world seems to luuuuurve this show. I watched like three episodes and I hated everyone within five minutes.
Pistols at dawn!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Piercing is sooooo sexy! Um... not.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Can I mention the Trump candidacy here in Cafe Society? Because I'm not just baffled by it, I'm louvered too.

Also, the merits of Hamilton! The musical. I had to listen to the soundtrack during a recent road trip, and it grated on every last one of my nerves.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:40 AM

Those @*%$! magic eye pictures... mass hallucinations, I tells ya.. people did too much LDS in the 60's.

Last edited by janis_and_c0; 07-25-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 AM

Pretty much everything.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:07 AM

Religion.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janis_and_c0 View Post
people did too much LDS in the 60's.
Damn Mormon Hippies!

Last edited by MrDibble; 07-25-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 AM

Cheese. I'm admittedly pickier than most but I have literally (yes, literally) that I know of not met another person who won't eat it. It's obvious that the vast majority like it because you can scarcely find a dish that doesn't have some kind of cheese on it. It's not only the default on any kind of sandwich, hot or cold, but it shows up on salads, chili and all manner of places it doesn't belong.

Several of the things that have been mentioned are pretty middle of the road in that, for instance, I've heard an even amount of people express like and dislike for sports and piercings. But cheese? Tell someone you won't eat it and they look at you like you just farted.

I mentioned in another thread that I didn't care for the music from Hamilton and I was almost scared. No one I know IRL has seen it so I haven't heard much first hand but the way people were praising it here was almost cult like. I wanted to experience what everyone else did. That did not work out.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Damn Mormon Hippies!
*LOL* I was referencing this
Old 07-25-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Religion.

Glad you said it first. But, yeah, this.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:02 PM

1. Sushi
2. The Big Bang Theory/How I Met Your Mother
3. Trump
4. The insatiable appetite for celebrity "news"
Old 07-25-2016, 12:02 PM

I'm color-blind.

The rest of you are, too; you just have this stupid, long-running prank going where you all make sure you're on the same page, and then snicker behind the backs of everyone who hasn't caught on yet. And whenever someone announces that he's color-blind, you all nod seriously but giggle inwardly at the grown man disappointedly declaring that Santa Claus didn't come to his house this year.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:11 PM

All the reality shows from Alaska. Is it really that intriguing of a place? And the "Real Wives" of where ever, and Keeping Up with the Kevorkians.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 PM

Well, I could say opera - I mean it is a bit difficult for me to believe that some people love that godawful caterwauling - but I just shrug and move on with my life. No one gets everything. There are some things I just do not get and never will, and that's fine. I acknowledge that it's good stuff and has artistic merit and that many people genuinely love it, but it is not for me.

I'm really a bit disturbed that some people seem to actually believe that some art that I absolutely love, like the painters Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko, are some kind of trick or con and that nobody really likes that stuff and I'm just pretending to love it so that a bunch of strangers on an internet forum think I'm an intellectual. But, there you go, not everyone gets everything. It's OK to not get something. That doesn't mean it's a con.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:22 PM

The Kardashians.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Clerks.

Donnie Darko.

I found the characters in both extremely annoying and put me off of both films.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphica View Post
The Kardashians.
I know- I was being funny (in my way).
Old 07-25-2016, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
Well, I could say opera - I mean it is a bit difficult for me to believe that some people love that godawful caterwauling -
a (paraphrased) quote from Oglaf: "cleverness opera is like bagpipes- a hellish screech that only sounds good to the one making it."
Old 07-25-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
I know- I was being funny (in my way).
Ha, no, that was my answer for what I think the entire world is pulling my leg about.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:06 PM

Opera I totally get, and I love much of it. However: Anyone claiming to be a Wagner fan is surely pulling a prank.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:25 PM

Sex is worth the aggravation that goes with it.

Yes, I had a LTR that ended badly....why do ask?

Last edited by billfish678; 07-25-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:25 PM

Wyoming, Alaska, North and South Dakotas - surely those are imaginary lands, aren't they? j/k

Too much of modern life flummoxes me, I live a very quiet introverted life, though I certainly keep well informed via the internet about everything, hours a day. I sometimes don't 'get' modern celebrities, fashions, movies, or music, but that could just be a cranky old folks thing.

Small examples, I swear I thought these were a conspiracy: hummingbirds. I never saw a real hummingbird until a few years ago, and now I Believe.... Now, its bluebirds. I've never seen a real bluebird, ever - someone is making them up!
Old 07-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

So, you're telling me, no one keeps track of how many people cops shoot?

How can that possibly be? You're kidding, right?
Old 07-25-2016, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Painting your face, or what some women like to call makeup. I've never worn it (I'm a woman), never had any desire to wear it, and don't really get why it's so important to so many women. Sure, on stage or for models I can see why you would want to paint yourself attractively, but for the women in my office, I really can't see the difference between the ones who spend massive amounts on the stuff, and those who just go natural (and I'm talking really natural, not "she's wearing makeup so good that you can't tell she's wearing it.")

There's a thread around here somewhere about mascara. In my entire life, I don't think I've ever noticed or cared about the length of someone's eyelashes.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Hot dogs. I have yet to find someone else claim they don't love hot dogs.
Abstract art. Critics claim they like it so everyone else follows along.
Firefly. Anti cliche is still cliche. No characters you can root for.
Battlestar Galactica. Just depressing.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:16 PM

Drinking non-mixed alcoholic drinks for the taste. For example, some people say that they like a good aged scotch. Alcohol tastes terrible, so I struggle to believe that people actually like the taste of straight alcoholic drinks. I understand the appeal of things like strawberry margaritas or long island iced teas - they taste good. I think people find the idea of drinking things like whiskey and scotch to fit their idea of adulthood or specifically manhood, and have eventually gotten to the point where they don't mind the taste as much and associate it with the pleasant feeling of inebriation. They confuse this with enjoying the taste itself.

There are a lot of fashions that are allegedly sexy that I have never, ever understood. I think lipstick is gross. I think high heels look ridiculous. Duckface and lip-biting are equally bizarre. The all-dolled-up look in a slinky dress looks like Halloween costumery to me. Maybe that's the point? Maybe the idea is to dress and act as un-sexy as possible with the implication that if you're still even a little sexy while acting completely unsexy, then you must truly be extremely sexy indeed under all the unsexy. Like carrying around a boat anchor to show how strong you are - sure, you can barely walk with it, but imagine how strong and virile you must be if you can carry it around at all! Some kind of "Harrison Bergeron" shit. Or maybe I'm just broken.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:19 PM

Buffy (the series)- I am always flabbergasted when people I like talk about how much they enjoy this show. It just has to be a joke. Everything about the show is just so bad, I can't imagine someone seriously liking it.

Dr. Who (the series)- Pretty much everything as stated above. I always assume the person is lying when they tell me they like the show.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post

Small examples, I swear I thought these were a conspiracy: hummingbirds. I never saw a real hummingbird until a few years ago, and now I Believe.... Now, its bluebirds. I've never seen a real bluebird, ever - someone is making them up!
I have a hummingbird feeder, and the little bastards are adorable! OMG they are so cute.

I meet lots of people who don't like hot dogs, and I have met a handful of people who don't like cheese.

I wear makeup because I have to do something about this face, and I can't subject other people to it! That, or maybe I just do it to highlight my best features.

jz78817 I am totally with you on Clerks. I liked Donnie Darko, but that wasn't so much about the characters, but about the twist, and I like that sort of thing.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I think lipstick is gross. I think high heels look ridiculous.
Lipstick was invented by women to stop men from trying to kiss them. High heels were invented by men to stop women from running away. Of these things I am convinced, and don't try to tell me otherwise.

Something else that comes to mind: Breast implants. That has to be some kind of weird joke, that I'm not getting the punchline to.

Last edited by Martian Bigfoot; 07-25-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:41 PM

That Seinfeld was popular. When it was current I knew exactly one person IRL who professed to be a fan of the show (and he would not shut up about it no matter how much everyone else rolled their eyes). Now, however many years later it's been the count is still one.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Asylum Films.

I don't know how they are allowed to exist. I don't mean legally, I mean karmically. I don't understand how they don't violate some fundamental law of the universe, so that the Living Tribunal appears and crushes them.

But more fundamentally, I don't understand how people exist with no self respect and no capacity for self examination. I read that Cracked article where they interviewed someone who tried to write for Asylum, and the writer basically said the people who run the company don't comprehend that they are making bad movies. They think they are competent film makers who are genuinely trying to make good movies, They're just really, really bad at it. It's like watching the Dunning Kruger Effect at work.

And yet somehow they continue to exist, which means someone, somewhere, actually looked at "Transmorphers" or "The Day the Earth Stopped," and was like, "Yeah, I'd pay money to see that movie."

I just don't understand.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I'm color-blind.
I have no sense of smell, and I get the feeling y'all are all pulling a fast one on me too. Especially when people don't always agree on what they're smelling!

Sports, the music of Frank Zappa, weddings, calamari...come on you guys, joke's over!

Last edited by Dung Beetle; 07-25-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Also crocs! and flip-flops! And other stuff!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
Hot dogs. I have yet to find someone else claim they don't love hot dogs.
I used to love hot dogs, but either my tastebuds are dying of old age or they've changed the ingredients; I haven't had a really good hot dog in a long time.

Quote:
Battlestar Galactica. Just depressing.
Well the reboot did squarely face just how absolutely screwed people would be if their home planets were annihilated without warning and they had to try to survive on spaceships never meant for long-term habitability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Bigfoot View Post
Lipstick was invented by women to stop men from trying to kiss them.
IIRC, it was invented by prostitutes advertising a <ahem> special service.
Quote:
High heels were invented by men to stop women from running away. Of these things I am convinced, and don't try to tell me otherwise.
Actually I finally saw the purpose of high heels not too long ago. I was watching a presentation by an attractive young woman wearing heels whose feet were evidently hurting her. She kept swaying- and I do mean swaying- back and forth as she shifted her weight from one foot to the other. High heels are for forcing women to pose in a way that shows off their thighs and hips.

Quote:
Something else that comes to mind: Breast implants. That has to be some kind of weird joke, that I'm not getting the punchline to.
In a thread awhile back I posted that future generations will regard breast implants as one of the more bizarre fads of our time.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm limiting myself to things that are not considered trash. Trash sells, and I get that. These are ones where I genuinely feel my leg is being pulled because people like them on a deeper level and consider them actual quality.

The Big Lebowski - I think I missed the boat, timing wise. I only saw it a year ago and I found it quite dull. Zero laughs for me and I did not enjoy it at all.

The Big Bang Theory - I was dumbfounded at how bad I found it. I think it is popular, though. I hear a lot about it.

How I Met Your Mother - Same as above. No idea why it was popular.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Opposite this time. It was panned by a lot of people and I liked it just as much as the original 3 movies. I know, I'm weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Various best-selling books, like the Twilight series, or the 50 Shades series. Really?!
While those sell a lot of copies, I think the vast majority have found those to be trash. I don't feel like anyone was pulling my leg on those. They are just high-selling trash.

Quote:
I'm color-blind.
Have you tried those cool glasses I've heard of that can somewhat give you full color vision? I'm curious how they work. But I'm not color blind, so no way to test.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm color-blind.

The rest of you are, too; you just have this stupid, long-running prank going where you all make sure you're on the same page, and then snicker behind the backs of everyone who hasn't caught on yet. And whenever someone announces that he's color-blind, you all nod seriously but giggle inwardly at the grown man disappointedly declaring that Santa Claus didn't come to his house this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I have no sense of smell, and I get the feeling y'all are all pulling a fast one on me too. Especially when people don't always agree on what they're smelling!

Sports, the music of Frank Zappa, weddings, calamari...come on you guys, joke's over!
You two need to start a combined Ask Me Anything thread in MPSIMS. I know you must get tired of the same questions, but I and maybe others have some really repetitive questions we'd like to ask. Well, I do, anyway. It'd be neat.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:55 PM

There is only one answer and it's Trump and the reality TV ization of the world.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Have you tried those cool glasses I've heard of that can somewhat give you full color vision? I'm curious how they work. But I'm not color blind, so no way to test.
I don't believe any of the shops where you can try them are in my state; I might give them a try the next time I head out to the West Coast.

(And, as you go on to hint, no, you're not the first to ask; and, yes, I have a default answer when folks wonder why I'm in no particular hurry: the thing is, my wife is gorgeous. This usually prompts a confused reply. No, I explain, she's really, really gorgeous. So what? So what if she's hideous in full color?)

(Sure, but you can take the glasses off. But I'll KNOW! You can't UNSEE a thing like that! I've got a great thing going, here -- and you're trying to RUIN IT FOR ME!)
Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Tea. Hot tea, iced tea, different varieties: it all smells nasty, and on the few occasions I've tasted it, I've had to immediately spit it out. Yet, supposedly, a major portion of the world's population claims to enjoy this substance that I put in the same category as bong water and ditch water.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post

It took you three episodes? I knew in one episode I wouldn't be watching another. And got flayed alive for saying so on this Board.

Good to know I'm not alone in my distaste for that foulness.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:37 PM

This fucking Pokemon Go shit?
Seriously?
Acquire lives, folks.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Tea. Hot tea, iced tea, different varieties: it all smells nasty, and on the few occasions I've tasted it, I've had to immediately spit it out. Yet, supposedly, a major portion of the world's population claims to enjoy this substance that I put in the same category as bong water and ditch water.
I don't hate tea, but I find it to be totally meh. Any and all varieties that I've tried have basically just been hot, mildly flavored water. Other people seem to enjoy it so much, though, that I've always thought that the problem must be on my end, and I must somehow be doing the whole thing wrong. As it stands, it just seems pointless to me, and nothing like the hype. Why drink this, when coffee exists?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:17 PM

Bacon. It's good. I like bacon. I don't need 80% of my food adorned with it. I certainly don't want or need bacon scented deodorant, bacon flavored soda, a couch pillow in bacon-print fabric, bacon in my ice cream, bacon in a can, "Baconnaise", bacon flavored toothpaste or any of the rest of that nonsense. It's just food, people.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-25-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 PM

Bruce Springsteen. As far as I can tell, he's just a mumblier version of John Camp Cougarmelon. I've heard he puts on a good live show, but that still doesn't explain his popularity to me.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
Painting your face, or what some women like to call makeup. I've never worn it (I'm a woman), never had any desire to wear it, and don't really get why it's so important to so many women. Sure, on stage or for models I can see why you would want to paint yourself attractively, but for the women in my office, I really can't see the difference between the ones who spend massive amounts on the stuff, and those who just go natural (and I'm talking really natural, not "she's wearing makeup so good that you can't tell she's wearing it.")

There's a thread around here somewhere about mascara. In my entire life, I don't think I've ever noticed or cared about the length of someone's eyelashes.
Well, that explains half of your screen name.

For me, it's red states. You mean there are entire states where more than half the population is like that? It's bad enough that I live in a swing state, that's only insane half the time.

And that there are people on the planet who would decapitate another human being, or burn him alive.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:00 PM

The Game of Thrones. What is it about this series that ignites meltdowns and trollings and bannings? Get a grip, guys.