Old 11-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Who were the most famous people when you were growing up who have completely disappeared?

A waiting room I was in had a very old copy of People featuring Heidi Montag, and now there are so many teenagers who will never understand who she was or why she was so famous. I'm curious to take a trip down memory lane and remember all those celebrities who used to be so important.
Advertisements  
Old 11-22-2016, 01:50 PM

Burt & Loni.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:57 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
Burt & Loni.
Farrah and Lee. Of course Farrah is dead now but she never reached that level of saturation that she did then.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:00 PM

Cyndi Lauper
Old 11-22-2016, 02:03 PM

I was stunned when my cousin's kids had no idea who Clark Gable was. He was just a little bit before my time, though.

About 25 years ago, I met a couple of teenagers who thought that Mel Brooks was the voice of Bugs Bunny. I might have been slightly impressed by the fact that they confused him with Mel Blanc, except that Blanc's death had been in the news not too long before.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:26 PM

I had to look up Heidi Montag, as I vaguely recognized the name, but had no idea who she was. Reality TV stars are, generally, among the most ephemeral of celebrities, save for the very few who managed to leverage it into something bigger. So, I don't find it surprising at all when their fifteen minutes of fame evaporate.

A lot of the people who were celebrities when I was growing up aren't in the public eye any more, largely because they're dead or retired.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Not really sure what the OP is getting at. Lots of the celebrities from my youth are retired or dead. Names like Tony Randall, Paul Lynde, or Christopher Lloyd might be losing hold on the public consciousness, but people of the present day would understand if we said they were in movies or TV. Are we looking for the inexplicably famous for being famous?

Charo
Art Linkletter
Susan Sontag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
... she never reached that level of saturation that she did then.
What exactly did you do with that poster?
Old 11-22-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Cyndi Lauper
Really? I still see her doing concerts and popping up on talk shows so, while she's not as omnipresent as she seemed to be in the 80s, it's not like she's dropped off the face of the earth. A better example from the 80s would be Shelley Long (who, to my chagrin, I used to have a bit of crush on). In terms of where she was fame-wise when she left "Cheers", her career has fallen the hardest compared with the other cast members of the show. Even John Ratzenberger (Cliff) is still active doing Pixar movies and occasional guest shots.

Last FM Library Thing

Last edited by NDP; 11-22-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:53 PM

Shaun Cassidy was all over the place when I was growing up. Is he dead now?
Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Really? I still see her doing concerts and popping up on talk shows so, while she's not as omnipresent as she seemed to be in the 80s, it's not like she's dropped off the face of the earth.
She also won a Tony in 2013, for her score for "Kinky Boots," and has been a prominent activist for LGBT causes.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Shaun Cassidy was all over the place when I was growing up. Is he dead now?
Nope. He moved into stage acting, then writing and producing TV series. He's still very active, but on the other side of the camera.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM

I am, I suspect, older than you, since I had no idea who Heidi Montag is, and it certainly ain't because I'm too young.

My contribution: For about two years in the late 1970s, one of the hottest entertainment acts in the country was the husband and wife mime team of Shields and Yarnell. Apart from Marcel Marceau, it may be difficult to imagine a celebrity mime act. But trust me, for awhile there, Shields and Yarnell were everywhere. They guest-starred on everything from The Muppet Show to The Tonight Show to Wonder Woman, performed for presidents and Queen Elizabeth II, and even had their own variety show for about a month. But who remembers them now?

All celebrities will fade from the public consciousness eventually. But Shields and Yarnell are the only ones that I look back on from my childhood and wonder how they managed to get so famous in the first place. It's hard to imagine an act like that getting that sort of attention today.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM

I don't believe I ever heard of Heidi Mnotag, and after a google search, can confirm that.

"So famous" doesn't seem to be accurate for this woman. "Sort of famous" maybe.

Still, I'll play:

Alan Alda and Mary Tyler Moore.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:16 PM

Rick/Ricky Schroeder, who is now playing Dolly Parton's father in her movies.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
. But Shields and Yarnell are the only ones that I look back on from my childhood and wonder how they managed to get so famous in the first place. It's hard to imagine an act like that getting that sort of attention today.
Raymond J. Johnson Jr, was the one I found most hard to fathom how fame was ever achieved. S & Y, did have a talent, not one most would find entertaining, but they were good mimes.

But.
You don't have to call me Johnson, You can call me Ray, or you can cal me J, you can call me RJ... etc ad nauseam, But you doesn't have to call me Johnson
Old 11-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Patricia Hearst

Bobby Riggs

Julie Nixon and David Eisenhower
Old 11-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Donovan is appearing at our local PAC next week. He was all over the place in the 1960's, hailed as the new Dylan. I was amazed when I realized how long its been since I heard anything about him.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone ever done a better disappearing job than Johnny Carson after retirement?

Last edited by Grrr!; 11-22-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Morton Downey, Jr. (dead, I know, but still)

Morganna the Kissing Bandit

Charo

Phil Donahue

mmm
Old 11-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Still, I'll play:

Alan Alda and Mary Tyler Moore.
I was going to suggest Alan Alda. I mean, I will always love him and follow his career, which more recently has included a role on The West Wing, hosting Scientific American Frontiers, and writing several books, but I'm fully aware that he isn't known the way he once was.

Back in the mid-seventies, pre-Internet, People Magazine used to have an annual readers' poll about celebrities. After the first few years, they had to change the format of the questions like this:

Other than Alan Alda, who is your favorite actor?

Other than Alan Alda, what celebrity would you most like to have dinner with?
Old 11-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

"Weird Girl" character actress Michelle Meyrink.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
My contribution: For about two years in the late 1970s, one of the hottest entertainment acts in the country was the husband and wife mime team of Shields and Yarnell. Apart from Marcel Marceau, it may be difficult to imagine a celebrity mime act. But trust me, for awhile there, Shields and Yarnell were everywhere. They guest-starred on everything from The Muppet Show to The Tonight Show to Wonder Woman, performed for presidents and Queen Elizabeth II, and even had their own variety show for about a month. But who remembers them now?

All celebrities will fade from the public consciousness eventually. But Shields and Yarnell are the only ones that I look back on from my childhood and wonder how they managed to get so famous in the first place. It's hard to imagine an act like that getting that sort of attention today.
They were the subject of a joke on Futurama once, so not totally forgotten. I looked them up after reading your post; Lorene Yarnell died a few years ago, was only 66.

In a similar vein, I'd nominate Rod Hull, an English comedian whose act was to appear with a fake emu under his arm who would then proceed to wreak havoc. Something reminded me of him a year or so ago and I watched a show about him on youtube. Sounds like he wasn't terribly happy, being overshadowed by a puppet and all, and fell on rather lean times. Died in 1999 adjusting the TV aerial on his roof.

Sarah Holcombe is worth a mention as well. She appeared in four movies, two of them (Animal House and Caddyshack) were huge successes. Since Caddyshack, nothing.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:46 PM

Kristy McNichol, and "Mikey" from the Life cereal commercial.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:59 PM

Arsenio Hall seemed to be doing pretty well for a couple of years, and then went away seemingly abruptly.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:01 PM

Not when I was growing up, but while a young adult, Steve Guttenberg had quite the run, then disappeared.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:06 PM

Maybe I should've said Eddie Murphy.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I am, I suspect, older than you, since I had no idea who Heidi Montag is, and it certainly ain't because I'm too young.

I was in HS and college in the late seventies, perhaps the prime years for Entertainment Awareness, and this act sounds quirky enough to have been especially appealing to my teenage self... and yet I'm sure that I never ran into them!

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 11-22-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:26 PM

Young uns let me tell ya when I was a kid:

There was a whole world of celebs that appeared on talk shows who were from a whole previous generation but which we were all familiar with.

Ethel Merman, Arthur Treacher, Jimmy Durante. Show biz used to have a recognizable evolution.

I'm not sure how that kind of knowledge gets transmitted now or if it will just end and we will all live in the eternal present.

Remember Totie Fields? She had a leg amputated and then when she died it was like she never existed.

Last edited by drad dog; 11-22-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I'm totally with you on this.

I also remember around that time that there were famous people named Kelly Monteeth, and Randy Mantooth. I had never known such names existed but I thought there must be something going on somehow.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:31 PM

Steve Allen, Professor Irwin Corey, Foster Brooks, Graham Kerr (the Galloping Gourmet).

Totie Fields lived on in Mrs Wallowitz.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonacy View Post
I was stunned when my cousin's kids had no idea who Clark Gable was. He was just a little bit before my time, though.
I was shocked not long ago when none of the contestants on Jeopardy! (all thirty-something) could identify either Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, or Jimmy Stewart from their photographs!

My, my. How quickly we forget!
Old 11-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Judge Reinhold, Fisher Stevens, Steve Guttenberg, and Phoebe Cates.

Also Meg Tilly, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, and Jami Gertz.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:48 PM

I remember Shields and Yarnell. How about Rodney Allen Rippy and Pink Lady and Jeff? Unlike many of the people mentioned so far (like Alan Alda, Tootie Fields and Mary Tyler Moore who still have a presence in media even today) these guys have really disappeared from the public eye.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I'd say the most famous people, to me growing up, were the people on TV shows that I used to love. WKRP In Cincinnatti, Simon and Simon, Magnum P.I.. An astonishing number of them disappeared completely - Andy Carlson, Herb Tarlek, Less Nessman, Bailey Quarters, Venus Flytrap...A.J. Simon...Rick, T.C., Higgins - never saw them again in anything that I can recall.

I get that happens with TV show stars, even today, but back then I assumed they would all be superstars.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waem View Post
Arsenio Hall seemed to be doing pretty well for a couple of years, and then went away seemingly abruptly.
His TV talk show was revived a couple of years ago, but only lasted one season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waem View Post
Maybe I should've said Eddie Murphy.
He hasn't disappeared. Not including the Shrek movies, he still makes a movie every couple of years on average. His latest movie, Mr. Church, came out just a couple of months ago.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:04 PM

Dean Martin. For awhile, he was the hottest thing on TV. Then the Nanny Squad moved in and "sanitized" things.

You'd think there's something wrong with booze and broads....

You could do worse than just take random sample of who appeared on the Hollywood Squares.

List here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059995/fullcredits/

Just in case you were wondering why Pink Lady and Jeff disappeared from the face of the Earth, here's a clip of a running gag from the show.

There was also the guy who was married to Goldie Hawn and produced a few kids. He was also married to Shirly of Laverne and Shirley for quite some time. He and his brothers had two TV shows and also a pop group. Here's there Saturday morning show. The Hudson Brothers were FAMOUS and were pulling down all the hot chicks at the time.

Last edited by Biggirl; 11-22-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I'd say the most famous people, to me growing up, were the people on TV shows that I used to love. WKRP In Cincinnatti, Simon and Simon, Magnum P.I.. An astonishing number of them disappeared completely - Andy Carlson, Herb Tarlek, Less Nessman, Bailey Quarters, Venus Flytrap...A.J. Simon...Rick, T.C., Higgins - never saw them again in anything that I can recall.

I get that happens with TV show stars, even today, but back then I assumed they would all be superstars.
Tim Reid (Venus Flytrap) was in three more series after WKRP -Frank's Place, Simon & Simon, and Sister, Sister.

Last edited by cochrane; 11-22-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
WKRP was one of my favorite shows, as well.

Tim Reid (Venus) starred in several series after WKRP, including (ironically, given your post) Simon & Simon, Frank's Place (created by Hugh Wilson, who also created WKRP), and Sister, Sister. He's been consistently working on TV since, though in supporting roles.

Gary Sandy (Andy Travis) found it difficult to get TV roles as he aged, and transitioned to theater.

Gerald McRaney (Rick on Simon & Simon) starred in Major Dad, and he, too, has been consistently working in TV for the past 30 years.

Edit: ninja'd by cochrane! *shakes fist*

Last edited by kenobi 65; 11-22-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I was shocked not long ago when none of the contestants on Jeopardy! (all thirty-something) could identify either Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, or Jimmy Stewart from their photographs!

My, my. How quickly we forget!
Fifty something here, and while I know who these folks are I doubt I could've identified them from their photos either.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Just in case you were wondering why Pink Lady and Jeff disappeared from the face of the Earth, here's a clip of a running gag from the show.
Your point being...?
Old 11-22-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
Fifty something here, and while I know who these folks are I doubt I could've identified them from their photos either.
Your parents wouldn't let you watch movies when you were a kid?!?
Old 11-22-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I remember Shields and Yarnell. How about Rodney Allen Rippy and Pink Lady and Jeff? Unlike many of the people mentioned so far (like Alan Alda, Tootie Fields and Mary Tyler Moore who still have a presence in media even today) these guys have really disappeared from the public eye.
Pink Lady went back to Japan, and Jeff Altman went back to lounges.

My nomination is Richard Carpenter. He was really talented at arranging music. Even after Karen died, you'd think he'd have a career in scoring movies or something. All of his credits are for single songs that are songs from the Carpenters' era, or documentaries on the duo. Apparently, after Karen's death, he married (a cousin, whose brother had been their road manager, which is just a little creepy, if you ask me), and they have five kids. He's just been a family man since Karen died.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
I could, but I spent my adolescence mooning over Golden Age movies, and silent films. I can recognize Irene Dunne from any angle, but I can barely remember who was famous in the 1980s. I pretty much only went to art films, French films and Merchant & Ivory films that were new in the 80s. I take that back. I also saw sci-fi, and Children of a Lesser god. But I can name Sigourney Weaver, Marlee Marlin, and Jennifer Jason Leigh from my own time. I can name 50 people from the 20s, 30s and 40s without taking a breath.

I always wonder in there are still adolescents who fall in love with those great old films. Once in a while, I do see a recent post on IMDb under Irene Dunne or Katharine Hepburn, that starts "I'm 17, but I love these old films...."
Old 11-22-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
The 1970s were the last hurrah for the TV variety show, and S&Y were part of that -- they made a lot of appearances on other variety shows before getting their own show. It was also the same era that the mime / puppet / mask group Mummenschanz was popular.

I also suspect that S&Y had a very good agent.

Lorene Yarnell was in Spaceballs -- she was the actress inside the Dot Matrix droid costume.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:35 PM

Barbi Benton
Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 PM

Just out of curiosity ... who the hell is Heidi Montag???
Old 11-22-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Gerald McRaney (Rick on Simon & Simon) starred in Major Dad, and he, too, has been consistently working in TV for the past 30 years.
Don't forget Jericho.

I saw Gary Sandy in an episode of Diagnosis: Murder.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Don't forget Jericho.
Aye, and my wife just mentioned that he's now in "This Is Us."