Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2016, 08:52 AM

Fire ants on the decline in the US?

Fire ants first started becoming common here in South Carolina in the late 80s/early 90s. They used to be everywhere, and no matter how much poison you used on the mounds, it wasn't long before a new mound popped up. They are so small that you can't keep them out of your house with anything short of an airlock, and they know how to cut their way into unopened food packages. They would build small nests in electronics (for the warmth.) I'd hate to guess how many hundreds of times I've been stung by them, both inside and out. And it became a rare novelty to see a "normal" larger, non-stinging native ant. They were little short of a biblical-level plague.

And yet, in the past few years I see only a small fraction as many as I used to, either mounds or individuals/lines of them foraging, and "normal" ants are common sights again. Anyone else noticed a decline? Is it possible that some population-controlling factors have come into play?