Old 12-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Question about Frosty the Snowman

When they put the hat on his head he comes to life and exclaims, "Happy birthday!" I always thought he was saying this to Jesus Christ. My son thought he was talking about himself but who says "Happy birthday!" to themselves? At least without adding a "to me!" in there.

Why does Frosty say "Happy birthday!" when the hat is placed on his head?
Advertisements  
Old 12-07-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
When they put the hat on his head he comes to life and exclaims, "Happy birthday!" I always thought he was saying this to Jesus Christ. My son thought he was talking about himself but who says "Happy birthday!" to themselves? At least without adding a "to me!" in there.

Maybe because he just came to life so it's his birthday, but more likely because he's naive and mixed up, and not very bright. Not his fault, as he has snow for brains.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
but more likely because he's naive and mixed up, and not very bright. Not his fault, as he has snow for brains.
This has always been my take on it. Frosty is a friendly and gregarious dunderhead, and "happy birthday" is a friendly and gregarious sort of thing to say, that can be spouted at any time if you don't think too much about the implications.

I seriously doubt it was intended as any kind of slantwise religious reference or commentary on the beginnings of individual existence. It's much more likely akin to the reason Scooby Doo can talk. You don't want to be Mysteries Incorporated.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe because he just came to life so it's his birthday, but more likely because he's naive and mixed up, and not very bright. Not his fault, as he has snow for brains.
And he has snowballs.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Because it's his birthday. He's a simple and literal soul. There really aren't many Christmas references in the show IIRC.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Because it's his birthday. He's a simple and literal soul. There really aren't many Christmas references in the show IIRC.
Except for the whole "going to the North Pole so Frosty won't melt and him melting anyway to save the little girl from freezing by carrying her into Santa's greenhouse" thing.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Not his fault, as he has snow for brains.
So does Robert Downey Jr., but it doesn't stop him making millions.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:02 AM

I've always wondered why he needs to wear a hat and scarf. To keep him cold in the sun?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:47 AM

Well, we can't have him running around naked, can we?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Except for the whole "going to the North Pole so Frosty won't melt and him melting anyway to save the little girl from freezing by carrying her into Santa's greenhouse" thing.
Perhaps I should have said no overt references to Jesus. That would have been much more accurate.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:23 AM

It probably should have been made clear in the OP and title that this was about the TV special, not the song itself. I consider the special to have been not that good. The song, however, is quite fun.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I always took it not as a blessing ("Happy Birthday [to me]!" or "Happy Birthday [to Jesus]!") but as a joyful declarative: "[It's a] Happy Birthday!" It's his birthday, he's just been born to life, and he's happy about it. And why shouldn't he be.

Wishing himself a happy birthday is a possibility, but I don't think it's because he's not bright. It's even less likely to be a nod to Jesus.

I seem to recall that the original song ended "I'll be back again someday," but that the TV special changed it to "I'll be back on Christmas Day." Is my memory correct? That makes no sense. It doesn't necessarily snow on Christmas!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
I seem to recall that the original song ended "I'll be back again someday," but that the TV special changed it to "I'll be back on Christmas Day." Is my memory correct? That makes no sense. It doesn't necessarily snow on Christmas!
But as I recall, Frosty was made of "Christmas snow," which was part of the magic. It also happened to be the first snowfall of the year, making it doubly magical. At least that's what I remember Jimmy Durante saying. Thus there is some connection between Christmas and Frosty coming to life, so it makes sense that Christmas would be the day for Frosty to return.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I've always wondered why he needs to wear a hat and scarf. To keep him cold in the sun?
For the same reason men and women wear earrings. It looks cool
Old 12-08-2016, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
I always took it not as a blessing ("Happy Birthday [to me]!" or "Happy Birthday [to Jesus]!") but as a joyful declarative: "[It's a] Happy Birthday!" It's his birthday, he's just been born to life, and he's happy about it. And why shouldn't he be.
This.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:55 AM

I just always thought he said it because he wasn't all that smart and was confused that he had suddenly come to life.

But I haven't seen the animated special in decades, and didn't like it very much when I was little. They always put Frosty on after one of the really cool stop-motion animation ones like Rudolph or Santa Clause is Coming to Town, so you were sorta forced to sit through Frosty in that pity time slot.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:55 AM

At least Frosty didn't try to kill everybody.

NSFW - "Jesus vs. Frosty" - South Park precursor by Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:

This was Frosty's safe word.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:

iirc, and it has been many a moon since I've seen the Frosty the Snowman TV Special, he says "happy birthday" because the magic top hat is the hat of a magician performing tricks at a child's birthday party. The magician is in the middle of a trick using the hat when the wind somehow liberates said hat from the magician mid-trick and yadda yadda and there you have it. The "Happy Birthday" is the magical stutter of "majika interruptus"

in the matrix its a deja-vous from the system resetting to correct an error

Last edited by guestchaz; 12-09-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:14 PM

I never really watched the whole thing, because even to my 12-year-old self it was dopey, but I instantly recognized Paul Coker, Jr.'s animation style from MAD magazine.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:38 AM

Incidentally, ever read Frank Frazetta's Snowman comic? Bonkers stuff, and an impressive debut for a pop artist. In many respects, it feels like the precursor to Osamu Tezuka's work--scrappy minimalisticly style hero set against an incongruously sinister and finely detailed antagonist. Too bad it didn't go beyond one issue
Old 12-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestchaz View Post
iirc, and it has been many a moon since I've seen the Frosty the Snowman TV Special, he says "happy birthday" because the magic top hat is the hat of a magician performing tricks at a child's birthday party. The magician is in the middle of a trick using the hat when the wind somehow liberates said hat from the magician mid-trick and yadda yadda and there you have it. The "Happy Birthday" is the magical stutter of "majika interruptus"
No, the magician was performing for a last-day-of-school-before-Christmas-break classroom party. And bombing. That's why he threw away the hat.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:08 PM

ok, well, like I said, its been a while since I last saw the show.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 PM

Well I found the Gene Autrey song and the lyrics and there is no "Happy Birthday" at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6zW225k_O0
Old 12-10-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Well I found the Gene Autrey song and the lyrics and there is no "Happy Birthday" at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6zW225k_O0
That's because I'm talking about the TV special where he says "Happy birthday!" and not the song, where he doesn't.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
Well, we can't have him running around naked, can we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carryon View Post
For the same reason men and women wear earrings. It looks cool
Frosty is just an ordinary snowman without the hat. It's magic.

The scarf is just for looks. Or decency. Or whatever.

IIRC, in the written story, after Frosty melts, a kind policeman tells the children that next winter when they make another snowman and put the hat on it, Frosty will be back.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
because he's naive
It's spelled "niveous".
Old 12-11-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post
It's spelled "niveous".
Well done.