Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Belly Buttons

Truly dumb question - do you actually *need* a belly button or can you have it surgically removed via plastic surgery? Since I have dumped close to 100 pounds, and will eventually end up needing the excess skin dealt with, can one simply have the navel removed?

No idea why the idea popped into my head, so I wasn't sure if this needs to go into GQ or mundane/pointless ....
Advertisements  
Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 PM

They relocate a navel after a tummy tuck.
http://www.plasticsurgerycorner.com/...-belly-button/

Whether it can be removed? I dunno.

Quote:
  , the results of the procedure leave you with a smooth, soft contour around your navel with virtually no trace of the surgery. The technique attaches the lower part of your belly button deep into the abdominal wall. Once the swelling subsides and your recovery progresses, you’re left with a normal-looking, gently rounded navel.     

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-11-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 PM

I have a friend with no belly button. He lost it as a child in a farm accident. I'm not kidding.

He just has a huge skin graft over that area.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

I've heard that belly-button-removal is a popular plastic surgery (well, as popular as any plastic surgery) in Japan.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Karolina Kurkova is a swimsuit model. When she was a young child she had an operation and, as a result, she has no belly button.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Nifty information!

Can the skin they remove be donated for some sort of grafting?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:47 PM

I had a morbidly-obese cousin whose navel became massively infected. It was removed.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:11 AM

Clones don't have belly buttons so they have surgery to create one so people don't know they're just a copy of another person.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Clones don't have belly buttons so they have surgery to create one so people don't know they're just a copy of another person.
At our lab, we use a feeding tube to supply nutrients to the clones during the embryonic stage, so that a navel naturally appears. We found that they feel less self conscious during puberty this way.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:58 AM

Navel, or umbilicus.

"Belly button" sounds silly, doesn't it?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:13 AM

But if you don't have a navel, what do you gaze at when you're meditating?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Navel, or umbilicus.

Omphalos or nothing!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Omphalos or nothing!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM

But where would you store assorted lint and crumbs in case of an emergency?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
But where would you store assorted lint and crumbs in case of an emergency?
The Navel Reserve?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Clones don't have belly buttons . . .
Know you were joking...but...clones (to date!) have 'em (if the species does.) Dolly the sheep had one. (A cloned frog wouldn't.) Much depends on the (futuristic) incubating tech.

Last edited by Trinopus; 01-12-2017 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
According to the esteemed Stranger On A Train there are alternative foci for attention: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...8&post19906248
Old 01-12-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Know you were joking...but...clones (to date!) have 'em (if the species does.) Dolly the sheep had one. (A cloned frog wouldn't.) Much depends on the (futuristic) incubating tech.
That depends on how you grow the clone.
If the clone is a placental animal, and you grow it in a placental situation, yes it will have one, because it's pretty much required to live to birth.

But, if you can come up with a way to assemble and grow the clone and eliminate its need for some kind of tether (I've no idea how to pull that off mind you)
I am pretty sure there would be no naval, since no umbilical cord.

Also, i am not exactly sure on frogs, but chickens do have what i guess you could refer to as a belly button, and frogs are born in a similar fashion.
When the chick hatches there is a hole in the belly that the yoke sack is attacked to.
When it hacked, it sucks the yoke sac inside and the hole closes.
It does not make a big noticeable crater like humans have, but you can still see the very small scar where the yolk sac cord used to come out, which does equate to the same type of scar in humans for the same purpose.
Its just very small and not very pronounced
Old 01-12-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Truly dumb question - do you actually *need* a belly button or can you have it surgically removed via plastic surgery? Since I have dumped close to 100 pounds, and will eventually end up needing the excess skin dealt with, can one simply have the navel removed?
This is EXACTLY what happened to someone that I'm very close with. The strip of excess skin that the plastic surgeon chose to remove included the navel.

More specifically, imagine a dot near the right hip and another near the left hip. Draw an arc from one to the other that reaches above the navel, and another arc lower, near the pubic area. Cut out the skin in the middle, and pull the upper area downwards and connect. The result is a very large scar-free area, and whatever scarring there might be is below the pantyline/underwear area.

The plastic surgeon offered to create a fake navel at the appropriate place. It looks fine, but has none of the nerves or sensations usually associated with a navel.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeve View Post
.. but has none of the nerves or sensations usually associated with a navel.
Sensations?? We don' need no steenkin' sensations!

What I want to know is: can it trap lint like the real thing?

Last edited by LSLGuy; 01-12-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
While they're at it, would it be possible to have an extra one put in? Why be normal?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

One of my aunts has an extra navel, but in her case, the "surgery" was performed quite unintentionally, using a fishhook.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
Sensations?? We don' need no steenkin' sensations!

What I want to know is: can it trap lint like the real thing?
Or where would you put the salt if you want to eat spring onions in bed?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:36 AM

In the documentary Blade Runner, the replicant Zhora has a navel. Replicants are "assembled" from parts and are fully grown at the get-go. (She was less than 3 1/2 years "old" at the time.)

In her case, there was no need to add it to prevent her from being aware she was a replicant as she knew that already. Unlike others.

The replicant Pris is your basic pleasure model so a navel would be expected by her clients for appearance sakes. But Zhora is an assasin. She might have had the navel added before getting the job at Taffey's club. Given her situation that seems improbable.

The issue with clones, as noted, is that the method of construction decides as to whether a navel is needed or not.

BTW, the Wikipedia article on navel disorders is quite chilling for such a short entry. Some of those conditions require removal of the navel to ensure a permanent fix.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I've heard that belly-button-removal is a popular plastic surgery (well, as popular as any plastic surgery) in Japan.
Sounds like urban legend, unless you've got a cite. The navel has some cultural significance in Japan. I would guess it's about as common as bagel-head surgery (google it) and other forms of extreme body modification. IOW, it's not at all popular; it's a fringe activity
Old 01-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
BTW, the Wikipedia article on navel disorders is quite chilling for such a short entry. Some of those conditions require removal of the navel to ensure a permanent fix.
The more I learn about modern medicine the more I conclude it takes about a million things working right to keep us alive for the next 10 seconds. Much less 80 years.

The laundry list of ways things can go haywire is appallingly long. Gives one the sensation of hanging by the merest of threads while buffeted by a hurricane. And yet the evidence all around us is it mostly works most of the time. Perhaps, as in so many things, we shouldn't examine the magic too closely.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Navel, or umbilicus.

Not to mention, how did it come to be called a belly "button"? At the time when they were first named were they all outies?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The British call it a "tummy button", as they eschew alliteration for assonance.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:12 PM

I like this time of year because you can find good tummy button oranges at the grocery store.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Karolina Kurkova is a swimsuit model. When she was a young child she had an operation and, as a result, she has no belly button.
Article here with details and more images.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:32 PM

When my ex-wife had reconstructive surgery after a mastectomy, they removed skin from her lower abdomen for the reconstruction. She woke up from surgery with a newly constructed navel. I don't remember the surgeon even mentioning the navel reconstruction pre-op, and we were understandably too distracted with other issues to think about it at the time. But afterwards, I thought wouldn't it be cool to have no navel at all? When people asked about your lack of navel you could respond "Oh, I'm not a mammal. I was hatched from a leathery egg."
Old 01-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrendajo View Post
"Oh, I'm not a mammal. I was hatched from a leathery egg."
Deon Cole (stand-up comic), during one of his performances, notes that most (if not all) paintings and drawings of Adam and Eve depict them with navels - at which point he asks why.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I hate to be that guy, but if Karolina Kurkova doesn't have a belly button, then what's that indentation in her abdomen right where one would expect a belly button to be?
Old 01-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hate to be that guy, but if Karolina Kurkova doesn't have a belly button, then what's that indentation in her abdomen right where one would expect a belly button to be?
It's an indentation in her abdomen right where one would expect a belly button to be.

More seriously, an indentation is not a belly button. A belly button is a healed over scar. An indentation is just a low spot in unbroken skin.

This woman, for example, has indentations (aka dimples) on her lower back. But you wouldn't call them belly buttons even though they look pretty similar to what Kurkova has on her belly.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
There's less tissue naturally in that spot between the umbilicus and the abdominal wall. (The latter itself can be quite thin in that area, leading to hernias in some people.) So there's not the same layers of fat, etc., that the rest of the belly has under the skin. Take out the navel and you get a depression.

Well, in some people. In others subdermal tissue can fill in and push out giving outies.

Remember, there used to be big blood vessels passing thru the skin and abdominal wall here to connect to the major vessels in the body.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrendajo View Post
When my ex-wife had reconstructive surgery after a mastectomy, they removed skin from her lower abdomen for the reconstruction. She woke up from surgery with a newly constructed navel. I don't remember the surgeon even mentioning the navel reconstruction pre-op, and we were understandably too distracted with other issues to think about it at the time. But afterwards, I thought wouldn't it be cool to have no navel at all? When people asked about your lack of navel you could respond "Oh, I'm not a mammal. I was hatched from a leathery egg."
On Barsoom, the human-like Red Men of Mars are hatched from eggs (as are the six-limbed Green Men). They seem to have belly buttons.

Red (Wo)Man with belly buton
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a79d34c31d.jpg

A Rykor (described to be a headless, but otherwise "perfect specimen of Red Martian". Definitely a belly button. Quote from Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Chessmen of Mars introduces the Kaldanes of Bantoom. Their form is almost all head but for six spiderlike legs and a pair of chelae. Their racial goal is to evolve towards pure intellect and away from bodily existence. In order to function in the physical realm, they have bred the Rykors, a complementary species composed of a body similar to that of a perfect specimen of Red Martian but lacking a head. When the Kaldane places itself upon the neck of the Rykor, a bundle of tentacles connects with the Rykor's spinal cord, allowing the brain of the Kaldane to interface with the body of the Rykor. Should the Rykor become damaged or die, the Kaldane merely climbs upon another as an earthling might change a horse.
https://www.google.com/search?q=book...Ylm62sw6SvM%3A

Green man with belly button
https://alienterritory.wordpress.com...ice-burroughs/

Green man maybe without (but obscured by sword)
http://www.catspawdynamics.com/image...mars-cover.jpg

I don't know if the White, Black, or Yellow men of Mars are hatched or born, and I didn't see any good pictures, anyway. All I can tell you is to be prepared for a serious fight if you bother any of these guys. They didn't make Mars the god of war for nuthin'.