Old 04-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Inexplicably Stupid Restaurant Concepts

A new restaurant is opening up in town called Boiling Seafood Crawfish, promising "New Orleans style" food. Hmm, sounds tempting (I am fond of crawfish for one thing).

Then I discover that the signature items are hot seafood served in a plastic bag, with no utensils available (management provides a bib and plastic gloves, for what one enthusiastic reviewer terms "Messy Fun" and a swell interactive experience).*

"Walking into Boiling Seafood for the first time is terrifying. At each table, diners are hunched over what looks to be a gory heap, dismembering pieces parts with their bare hands and gobbling them up like extras in the Walking Dead. The fact that the restaurant is small and dim – a former Chinese carry-out – only seems to heighten the anxiety...
Whether it's cracking crabs by the Chesapeake, dunking Maine steamer clams in butter, or attacking a mountain of boiled crawfish deep in Cajun Country, the most enjoyable seafood experiences are usually a god-awful mess. Good luck finding a messier meal in town than this one. At one point, I literally was picking shrimp shells out of my hair, and I'm pretty confident that I ruined a perfectly good pair of pants."

Note to reviewer: it's eminently possible to get through a heap of steamers without ruining your clothes, and I've had lots of good crawfish dinners without needing to dissect the tiny goddamn things out of their shells.**

Whoever dreamed up this communal dining equivalent of mud-wrestling, include me out.

Any other Fun concepts out there that need to be thrown in the dustbin of restaurant history?

*Not sure what the brown crud on the corn in the photo is, but I'm betting it's either corn silk the chef left in place to enhance your "messy fun", or possibly crawfish excrement for that authentic New Orleans touch.
**I do occasionally get cold peel and eat shrimp at restaurants, which is kind of messy, but would be less so if the idjits would stop sprinkling spice on the shrimp shells which leaves a bunch of residue on your hands.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 04-11-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Don't ever go to a lobstah shack. There, people tear apart GIANT sea-bugs and gobble them down.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

As usual. SNL was prescient.
Troff "N" Brew script. (couldn't find a video)
Quote:
[ dissolve to the interior of the Troff 'n' Brew, Male Patron #1 leaning over a bucket drinking beer straight from the tap as Waitress #1 works the spigot. He then dunks his head into the bucket of beer. ]

[ slow pan across the chili trough, as various patrons lean over to eat their lunch, including Ray Swangen and his buddy ]
P.A. V/O: The Troff 'n' Brew is closing for a one half-hour hosedown. Please stop feeding, pay your check, and LEAVE by the MAIN exit present!

[ Waitress #2 begins hosing off patrons' faces ]

P.A. V/O: Please deposit your bibs in the Bib Bin and head to the MAIN exit! One half-hour hosedown --

[ patrons corral toward the exit like cattle, and make just as much noise in the process ]
Old 04-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Except for fondue, which I love, I don't want to make my own anything. I'm going out to have people bring me food and take away the dirty dishes.

That's all I can think of. Sorry, I'm not exciting.

Oh, wait. I also don't care for cutesy kuntry kitchen type places. I don't want to drink out of a Mason jar.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post

Then I discover that the signature items are hot seafood served in a plastic bag, with no utensils available...I've had lots of good crawfish dinners without needing to dissect the tiny goddamn things out of their shells.
The hell? What kind of crawfish dish were you eating, and what kind of utensil were you using? Crawfish Alfredo at Red Lobster or something?

Crawfish New Orleans style is pretty much guaranteed to be boiled whole in spices along with potatoes and corn. The corn will be left with a coating of spices, which includes a lot of red pepper. You crack the crawfish with your bare hands. It is a huge mess and takes a long time to eat.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:53 PM

When I was a kid in the early eighties a mall in my area had a "Sophie's Choice" themed restaurant. Didn't last long.

Also, anyone who opens a place on that one corner- you know the one. Has anything there lasted longer than six months?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:54 PM

Yeah, I'm not keen on the plastic sack, but a boil is a beautiful thing. Shrimp, potatoes, mussels, clams, crawfish, corn, potatoes, onions, and peppers coated with spices when it comes out of the boil. Poured onto a platter for 2-4-6. Plan on being hungry and having time to eat. And yes, I definitely don't wear my best clothes to a boil.

I'm guessing you wouldn't care for Joe's on Tybee Island that has both feral cats and alligators.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:08 PM

no offense but when ya go for a NO crawfish boil and they don't have yesterdays paper spread out on a picnic table its the start of somethings wrong ........
Old 04-11-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post
Oh, wait. I also don't care for cutesy kuntry kitchen type places. I don't want to drink out of a Mason jar.
That was one of the charms of a college area brewpub in Tucson. They served beer in one-pint Mason jars. They also had a booth in which Linda (Eastman) McCartney had carved her initials when she was attending the University of Arizona.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

There's Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston MO, home of the "throwed rolls". They literally chuck them at you from across the restaurant. My dad got beaned by one once - a combination of bad eyesight and poor reflexes.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:39 PM

The type of restaurant in the OP can be found commonly in the Southeast. I suppose the mistake they made would be opening it in Cleveland, where that style is unknown. It would be like opening a spaghetti-covered-in-chili restaurant in Mississippi.

There used to be a steak restaurant called "U-R Cooks". Their gimmick was that you cooked your own steaks at open grills in the middle of the restaurant. You'd stand there cooking your steak just like you would do at home, only paying more for the privilege. We used to joke they were going to open another restaurant called "U-R Dishwashers".

Last edited by filmore; 04-11-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
There used to be a steak restaurant called "U-R Cooks". Their gimmick was that you cooked your own steaks at open grills in the middle of the restaurant. You'd stand there cooking your steak just like you would do at home, only paying more for the privilege. We used to joke they were going to open another restaurant called "U-R Dishwashers".
Those places were popular in the Midwest in the 1980s, only they charged LESS if you cooked your own - $1, IIRC. They were fun places to go to if you were with a large group. ETA: The one I went to wasn't, to my knowledge, part of a chain.

The novel "Cat's Eye" had a character who proposed a restaurant where you select your own food out of the refrigerator, cook it yourself, and clean up afterwards.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 04-11-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
Also, anyone who opens a place on that one corner- you know the one. Has anything there lasted longer than six months?
There was "that corner" in my old town. One of the failed concepts was a sit-down restaurant that I will admit had wonderful food and great ambiance; the place seated about 30 people total, and had about 5 parking spaces within a 2-block radius. However, one reason that restaurant failed was because one of the owners failed to tell authorities that he was a sex offender, and also embezzled a lot of the restaurant's money.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Nevada View Post
The hell? What kind of crawfish dish were you eating, and what kind of utensil were you using? Crawfish Alfredo at Red Lobster or something?
One of my favorites is the crawfish platter at Pappadeaux (typically comes with fried crawfish and crawfish etoufee, pictured here. Given the amount of meat in a crawfish, I don't want to waste time dissecting them en masse. I'll happily pay someone else to do it for me.

Oh, and every place I've ever eaten lobster at (including the world-famous Nunan's Lobster Hut) provides tableware. And I've never been one to bother with lobster bibs.*

I suspect the real motivation behind the "New Orleans experience" at the restaurant described in the OP is the owners' desire to save money by not having to shell the seafood and not needing to stock utensils. (Pity the cleanup crew that has to swab down the tables and floors).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee
I'm guessing you wouldn't care for Joe's on Tybee Island that has both feral cats and alligators.
Alligator, OK. I'm not into the idea of eating feral cats. Maybe we could have a theme restaurant chain where you bring your pets to dine with you, no matter what they are.

*which reminds me of one of my favorite Gahan Wilson cartoons of the guy in the lobster bib, uneasily contemplating a jury box full of lobsters.
**I like drinking out of Mason jars. I have several at home for that purpose.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I suspect the real motivation behind the "New Orleans experience" at the restaurant described in the OP is the owners' desire to save money by not having to shell the seafood and not needing to stock utensils. (Pity the cleanup crew that has to swab down the tables and floors).
Saving money on utensils is probably not the case. The way you generally eat at a crawfish boil is with your hands, whether at a restaurant or in your backyard. You could use utensils, but it would be odd in the same way that eating NY pizza with a fork and knife is odd.

Typically the tables have some type of disposable covering, like newspaper, to help with cleanup.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

There was a restaurant in Anchorage that was apparently trying to riff off of Kramer's "make-your-own-pizza" idea. It lasted about 30 seconds.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Johnny Ecks:

Every restaurant is built on "that one corner". The location isn't special; the business is. Running a restaurant successfully is a lot harder than most people think, and requires a very different skill set, with the result that most restaurants fail very quickly. So you get one place open up somewhere, and unsurprisingly, it fails. It's followed by another, and another, and unsurprisingly, they fail too. Eventually, if the place isn't torn down, you get management in who has the knack for business, and you get a restaurant that sticks around for decades. Until the owner retires, and then the cycle starts again.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Except for fondue, which I love, I don't want to make my own anything. I'm going out to have people bring me food and take away the dirty dishes.

That's all I can think of. Sorry, I'm not exciting.

+100 for the fondue thing. Here's $35, can I please cook my own food? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Passing off baked goods purchased from a store as your own.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
*Not sure what the brown crud on the corn in the photo is, but I'm betting it's either corn silk the chef left in place to enhance your "messy fun", or possibly crawfish excrement for that authentic New Orleans touch.
**I do occasionally get cold peel and eat shrimp at restaurants, which is kind of messy, but would be less so if the idjits would stop sprinkling spice on the shrimp shells which leaves a bunch of residue on your hands.
My time in Mississippi was made all the more enjoyable by meals you just described - you drive by a shack on the side of the road on the way home from work, tell them how many people you need to feed (or how many pounds), and they give you a plastic bag (which is maybe inside of a cardboard box, but not always (or usually)) filled with boiled crawfish, potatoes and 1/2 corns. All of which are covered in a delicious seasoning mess. You then eat it with your hands - either all hunched over around the box/bag, or if you're extremely fancy, you pour the giant mess onto a picnic table covered in newspaper.

Sign me up!
Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Saving money on utensils is probably not the case. The way you generally eat at a crawfish boil is with your hands, whether at a restaurant or in your backyard. You could use utensils, but it would be odd in the same way that eating NY pizza with a fork and knife is odd.

Typically the tables have some type of disposable covering, like newspaper, to help with cleanup.
I was gonna say. If I'm at a crawfish boil, I expect to get the damned things intact, not gutted for me. That's part of the charm of a boil. (Along with the yummy potatoes and corn boiled in the spiced cooking liquid.) Plus some people (like me), enjoy sucking the heads, too, for a bit more of that crawfish punch. If you're not into that then, yeah, get the etoufee or something. But this is a restaurant named "Boiling Seafood Crawfish." If they didn't serve crawfish this way, I'd be pissed, because that's the expectations the name of the restaurant sets for me. (OK, I don't know about the plastic bag thing, but everything else sounds pretty right.) I mean, just google image search "crawfish boil."

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-11-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

For me, I don't quite get the whole "sushi-on-a-conveyor-belt" idea.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
As God is my witness, I thought sushi could fly.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Poop Cafe, Toronto's first toilet-themed dessert restaurant

Nuff said.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
There was a very popular and trendy place that was basically a fondue house, except that it had entree courses where you cooked small bites in boiling broth. Expensive, messy and kind of over priced in that the kitchen did little more than prep.

I was the grump who didn't like going there and then having to pay. Of course, it was the popular birthday choice for about a year's worth of celebrations.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Reminds me of Modern Toilet Restaurant, a 2009 concept started in Taiwan with apparently several outposts (I count 3 on the website--but I seem to remember it being more.)

Also, apparently, there was a restaurant with poo-flavored curry on the menu in Japan.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Every restaurant is built on "that one corner". The location isn't special; the business is. Running a restaurant successfully is a lot harder than most people think, and requires a very different skill set, with the result that most restaurants fail very quickly. So you get one place open up somewhere, and unsurprisingly, it fails. It's followed by another, and another, and unsurprisingly, they fail too. Eventually, if the place isn't torn down, you get management in who has the knack for business, and you get a restaurant that sticks around for decades. Until the owner retires, and then the cycle starts again.
Oddly enough, the best fictional depiction of running a restaurant (into the ground) was written and drawn by R. Crumb back in the '90s, in one of the "Mode O'Day" stories about a wannabe beautiful person in NoCal and her downscale pal Doggo, an anthropomorphic dog.

Ended with Mode's partner hitting the wine hard every evening, alienating the chef imported from the East, an armed robbery (neighborhood wasn't quite gentrified yet), and Mode and Doggo climbing in the back window to steal stuff.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

"That one corner" in Manhattan was the SW corner of Bleecker and Leroy in the West Village. Only restaurant that lasted longer than six months was "Grandpa's Place," a red-sauce Italian-American joint owned by Ed Lewis of The Munsters fame, and THAT closed after about two years.

I think they burned the building to the ground, salted the earth, and built condos on the lot. Even now, they say no houseplant thrives there...
Old 04-11-2017, 07:34 PM

Then there was the small kiosk place in the middle of an undistinguished strip mall, repurposed from a Fotomat or coffee place, selling BBQ. The sign looked like it had been made by a 12yo and had a very badly drawn pig (think greyhound with a fat face) and the name, which still haunts me...

"Driv-A-Rib"

Lasted about two months, IIRC.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
The novel "Cat's Eye" had a character who proposed a restaurant where you select your own food out of the refrigerator, cook it yourself, and clean up afterwards.
I dream about a restaurant like that. A place with pro grade equipment and every sort of utensil you would ever need, already stocked with ingredients so it's never out of that one thing you forgot to get at the store, and just charges you for what you use. I could do without the cleaning part but if there were such a place that I could rent out by the hour, I could get rid of my entertainment space at home and just use that space any time I wanted to host a dinner party.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
There was a restaurant in Anchorage that was apparently trying to riff off of Kramer's "make-your-own-pizza" idea. It lasted about 30 seconds.
Make your own pizza sounds like a great idea, but people have no self-restraint and always add too much. Pizza is one area where less is more, and where ingredients that comlement eachother are vitally important.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Personally, I love them (gotta avoid the really cheap ones, though).
Same for the Korean BBQ places that give you a plate of seasoned raw meat and a charcoal grill. The appeal comes partly from the quality of the meat and other dishes, but mainly the quantity of the alcohol provided with it.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
I dream about a restaurant like that. A place with pro grade equipment and every sort of utensil you would ever need, already stocked with ingredients so it's never out of that one thing you forgot to get at the store, and just charges you for what you use. I could do without the cleaning part but if there were such a place that I could rent out by the hour, I could get rid of my entertainment space at home and just use that space any time I wanted to host a dinner party.
I was just in Budapest a few weeks ago and I spotted this DIY restaurant that is somewhat along those lines. Basically, you order a dish, get the ingredients, a video for how to make it, and cook your own food. No, I didn't visit it, but it does seem like it could be a fun "date night" type of thing to do.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I've been to breweries out in Montana and Wyoming where they keep a big grill hot outside and sell you raw chicken and steak, marinated and not, cheap...like $5 for a chicken breast, $10 for a sirloin. Every seasoning you'd want for a dry rub is set out on a table next to the grill. Nice lady from a local farm is on hand to sell you homegrown peppers, onions, potatoes, corn, anything else you want to throw on that grill. You stand there with a freshly pulled delicious beer in hand and cook dinner for your family, who are all drinking freshly pulled delicious beer at a picnic table thirty feet away.

That was nice.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
When I was a kid in the early eighties a mall in my area had a "Sophie's Choice" themed restaurant. Didn't last long.

So there were two menu items and you are only allowed to order one and the other one gets thrown away?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
So there were two menu items and you are only allowed to order one and the other one gets thrown away?
HA!!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
The closest thing I can think of is my local VFW hall, or some churches which have commercial kitchens that can indeed be rented by the hour by anyone willing to pay; however, you do have to bring in your own food.

People who make cooked food for farmer's markets, and live in an area where it must be prepared in a commercial kitchen, are common renters for these facilities.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 04-11-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
"Kids eat free!

...Well, one of them does."
Old 04-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

There's a place in Milwaukee, used to be a Sizzler. Back when it was a Sizzler there was a an E.coli outbreak including the death of a 3 year old girl. Soon after the restaurant closed, someone I know made the comment that the place should never be a restaurant again, they should just turn it into an office building or a store or something. Personally, I didn't thing it would be that big of a dea.

That was 17 years ago and since then, there's probably been a half a dozen restaurants that have either started up in that building or moved to that location (must have cheap rent and I'll bet all the equipment is brand new because of the first person after Sizzler putting in new stuff), and most of them last about a year, maybe two.

Sure, maybe they just don't do well for whatever reason. OTOH, I know some of them have had other places for many many years, moved here and are now gone. At least one already had another location, opened and closed this one and still have the first. Honestly, I'm surprised banks give people loans for this place. And, to be clear, it's a great location.

What sucks, for the restaurants that move there is that when they're a few weeks from opening there's always a small write-up in the newspaper, but it seems every single time, one of the first lines is 'hey, remember that Sizzler that killed the little girl...". Jeezus, stop saying that, it's not helping, and we're far enough out (nearly two decades) that a lot of people don't remember it any more.

Seems every time a new place opens, there's an article like this one, just read the first line:
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...6/tidbits.html
Old 04-11-2017, 11:03 PM

The scary thing is some googling finds more than one Sophie's Choice restaurant still in existence, including one in the suburbs of London (UK) that opened after the movie.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Reminds me of Modern Toilet Restaurant, a 2009 concept started in Taiwan with apparently several outposts (I count 3 on the website--but I seem to remember it being more.)
Yes, it's one of a zillion Taiwanese-style dessert places that have opened in Toronto recently.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

When we lived in Jacksonville, my inlaws loved taking visitors to this place where you cooked your own pancakes. They would drive over an hour each way for breakfast.

Apparently the place was really popular, but to this day, I don't get the appeal.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 AM

We Want Plates. There's a particular item that made me somewhat queasy just looking at it.

I've eaten at a few restaurants like this. Usually it's runny food on tiny edgeless cutting boards but occasionally they get creative. The latest one just brought us our food on a tray. One tray for all the food. No plates. Drippy burgers. WHY
Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
It's a bucket of cheese followed by a bucket of chocolate. I'll pay for that happily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
When we lived in Jacksonville, my inlaws loved taking visitors to this place where you cooked your own pancakes. They would drive over an hour each way for breakfast.

Apparently the place was really popular, but to this day, I don't get the appeal.
I was surprised to find that it's still open. My parents used to take visitors there for breakfast. I wasn't a huge fan, not least because us kids couldn't just cook the damn things without my mother telling us we were doing it wrong. Even when we were 20.

Last edited by GrumpyBunny; 04-12-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's a bucket of cheese followed by a bucket of chocolate. I'll pay for that happily!

I was surprised to find that it's still open. My parents used to take visitors there for breakfast. I wasn't a huge fan, not least because us kids couldn't just cook the damn things without my mother telling us we were doing it wrong. Even when we were 20.
"Well Mom, if you're such a great pancake cook, why are we here?

Old 04-12-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Another that's too cutesy for me - Famous Dave's BBQ has what they call "Famous Feasts." It's "family style" with a selection of their smoked meats and sides, all served up in a garbage can lid.

yeah.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

OK, so jokes aside, how does a restaurant themed around Sophie's Choice actually work?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Good lord, those are all real things at real restaurants?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Good lord, those are all real things at real restaurants?
They are indeed. Mostly I blame hipster-types for trying to be all clever and edgy in their eschewing of plates. Where I have encountered it, it is generally impractical, messy and annoying.

Last edited by Gyrate; 04-12-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, so jokes aside, how does a restaurant themed around Sophie's Choice actually work?
I've been wondering the same thing so I googled it.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the movie.

https://sophieschoicerestaurant.co.uk/

Maybe the first one was opened by a woman named Sophie.