Old 04-13-2017, 10:50 AM

Is there anything more difficult to find in a grocery store than Velveeta?

I use Velveeta in my mac'n'cheese recipe (don't judge me, it's a great recipe!)

At one store, Velveeta is by the pasta. In another, it's by the chips, popcorn and beef jerky (??) Target keeps it in the refrigerated case for some reason. It is almost never located by the other Velveeta product, Shells'n'Cheese. I end up canvassing the entire store just to find this overpriced junk!
Advertisements  
Old 04-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post

At one store, Velveeta is by the pasta. In another, it's by the chips, popcorn and beef jerky (??) Target keeps it in the refrigerated case for some reason. It is almost never located by the other Velveeta product, Shells'n'Cheese. I end up canvassing the entire store just to find this overpriced junk!
Jeeze, just ask somebody. Make them earn their pay
Old 04-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Corn Syrup. I expect to find it with the sugars on the baking isle, but recently it's been hidden near the jams and breakfast syrups.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

In the Food Lion where I shop, it's with the cheeses - last place you'd expect to find it, right?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
I would eat the hell out of that.

I always think peanut butter is hardest to find in a strange store. My current store puts it on the bread aisle.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 AM

I recently had a terrible time finding corn starch. A can lasts for several years and I'd forgotten where it's stocked.

I wasted a lot of time in the spice section.

I eventually found it in baking goods hidden on the very top shelf. A foot above my head.

I agree Velveeta can be stocked in various places. I never find it in the cheese section.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-13-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:24 AM

It does seem to vary store to store. Sometimes with the other cheeses, sometimes with pasta, sometimes with baking items. And if you shop at several stores you forget where they keep it next time you look. And for some reason, it is very hard to find unless you check every aisle in the store very carefully.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:25 AM

When I first saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a claim that nobody carries it. But still, I've never had trouble finding Velveeta (which spellcheck seems to think is not a real word.) It's always either in the dairy section, or with the dips and salsas. And nearly always in a prominent display with various other cheese spreads.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Hah! You're not the only one who has difficulty finding Velveeta. I have the same problem from store to store.

(And, yes, Velveeta is awesome for mac and cheese and, yes, it is horribly overpriced.)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
Jeeze, just ask somebody. Make them earn their pay
Have you met a store employee???

Indeed, Velveeta is in odd places in our local stores. It's not even next to the generic equivalent at one store.

But the real puzzler is sauerkraut. You ask someone and they send you to one place. A person there sends you to another part of the store, etc. No one will know where it is! There are even employees that don't even know what it is.

Last edited by ftg; 04-13-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Have you met a store employee???

Indeed, Velveeta is in odd places in our local stores. It's not even next to the generic equivalent at one store.

But the real puzzler is sauerkraut. You ask someone and they send you to one place. A person there sends you to another part of the store, etc. No one will know where it is! There are even employees that don't even know what it is.
Around here, I think I generally see it by the pickles. I'm trying to think where else in the store it would possibly be. Maybe the canned vegetables section? (OK, this is not counting the store that has barrels of self-serve saeurkraut and pickles in the deli section, but you can't miss those.)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Velveeta is in the dairy section in the store I go to, which is good because my mac & cheese calls for 3 different cheeses and they're all right there.

But, I only shop in one store for that kind of thing so I had no idea it would be outside of the dairy case anywhere else. Now I know!

Raisins can be tricky IMHO. They used to be in the produce section at my store, then moved farther back past the produce, and now there is a large dried fruit and nut section tucked next to the fish, even further past the produce.

At Wal Mart I looked by the produce, the candy, the baking stuff and didn't find it. Finally someone helped me find it by the fruit snacks which are behind the pop.

I asked my friend who is a manager at Wal Mart if he knew where the raisins were. He had to give it some thought but he did come up with "fruit snacks." He also agreed that they do get moved a lot.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM

Pearl Barley.

Hmm, it's a grain... no, it's not with the flour and stuff. They put it with the spices.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM

We need an app for this.

Seriously.

Home Depot's web site tells you if an item is in stock and gives the aisle for a specific store.

Big grocery chains should do the same.

An App that let you choose the store. Enter cereal. And it says aisle 3A

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-13-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Tahini. I've found it near the peanut butter, in the deli near hummus, with condiments, with pickles and olives, with salad dressings, and in the ethnic food aisle.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Pearl Barley.

Hmm, it's a grain... no, it's not with the flour and stuff. They put it with the spices.
Yep! That's what I came to say. I make a killer Beef-Barley stew and can never get my hands on this stuff.

It used to be on the bottom shelf to the left of the rice. Then it migrated to the top on some other isle. Drives me nuts!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:06 PM

Ramen noodles are never in the pasta section.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Maraschino cherries. I only buy them twice a year at Christmas and Easter to put on the ham so I always have plenty of time to forget where they are.

Canned fruit section? Nope. Near the canned pie filling? Nope. With the sundae toppings (conveniently located in the bread aisle)? Nope. Jammed between the cake mixes and squeezy frosting? Bingo.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:09 PM

Mincemeat. Even in season, it's on an obscure end cap or the lowest, dustiest shelf in baking or fillings.

This year, I was lucky enough to ask the store manager who was the only person who knew it was in a box in the back, request-only like condoms used to be.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Pearl Barley.

Between soups and broths.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I would eat the hell out of that.

I always think peanut butter is hardest to find in a strange store. My current store puts it on the bread aisle.
So does mine, along with the jellies/preserves. It makes sense to me. So many people like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

They carry the Velveeta in the pasta aisle.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:31 PM

I was in WalMart once trying to buy grated Parmesan. I asked three different employees, they all thought they knew where it was, but it wasn't there. Then, the other day, I was as my usual supermarket, and I looked where it used to be, and it had been moved half way across the store, to a completely different area.

My store also puts Brauhschweiger among the spreadable cheeses, because they don't know that it's meat.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Oh, good one. Our store keeps different types in different places. I think you can find it in a bag near the hot dogs, and also in jars in the refrigerated section. Near the eggs.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was in WalMart once trying to buy grated Parmesan. I asked three different employees, they all thought they knew where it was, but it wasn't there. Then, the other day, I was as my usual supermarket, and I looked where it used to be, and it had been moved half way across the store, to a completely different area.

My store also puts Brauhschweiger among the spreadable cheeses, because they don't know that it's meat.
That's generally where I find it, but all those things are pretty close together: deli meats, sliced cheeses, spreadable cheeses, braunschweiger. And it's clearly not the case that they're mistaking it for cheese, at least here, because one of the brands (Scott Peterson), you can actually see the liver sausage itself. The meats and cheeses that you can hang up in their packaging get hung up, and the ones that require shelves (like the spreadable cheeses, braunschweiger, hummus and whatnot) get their own area.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-13-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

More difficult — powdered milk and shredded coconut
Old 04-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Around here, hot oil (chili-infused oil).

It ought to be easy, but the supermarkets here seem to only carry it when they feel like it. When they do, it might be in with Ethnic Foods or it might be with Sauces. You never can tell.

Similarly, one store here feels the same way about Dove Dark Chocolate Promises (Pepper Mill's Favorites). Not the other Dove chocolate varieties -- they're always there. But they apparently capriciously decide sometimes that they're not going to carry Dark any more.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Around here, hot oil (chili-infused oil).

It ought to be easy, but the supermarkets here seem to only carry it when they feel like it. When they do, it might be in with Ethnic Foods or it might be with Sauces. You never can tell.
One that infuriated me was a brand of tomato sauce called 6-in-1. Actually, they're ground tomatoes, and they are perfect for all manners of pasta and pizza sauce making. Love the stuff and it's a fairly usual ingredient for at least being the base of Chicago thin crust pizza sauces.

Anyhow, there was one store (Mariano's) where I never could find it, so I assumed they didn't stock it. Until ond day I went to the Italian import aisle, where it was there alongside all the imported tomatoes. All the other domestic brands are in the regular canned tomato aisle but, for whatever reason, 6-in-1 ends up in the ethnic aisle. I mean, does it even sound like an import brand?

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-13-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:24 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Preach it, OP! Around here the two main stores stock Velveeta either on the "International" aisle (?) or between the mustards and the salad dressings (??). Neither aisle is near the Velveeta & Shells, which is with the rest of the mac & cheese stuff right next to the Hamburger Helper and canned soup.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:32 PM

Try finding ghee, or tahini, or pesto.

Most large groceries now carry these even in the hinterland where I live. But the ghee isn't with the other shortenings or oils, The tahini isn't with the peanut butter or nuts and the pesto isn't with the other Italian foods.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM

Raisins.

Sometimes it's in the baking aisle, sometimes in the aisle with the sweet snacks. One place had a small display of dried fruits in the fresh fruit section. Another had the white raisins in the baking aisle and the rest elsewhere.

I swear I once found them between fruit juice and (dry) cereal.

Since there are more dried fruits as snacks nowadays, at least they tend to be easier to find as they take up more room.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was in WalMart once trying to buy grated Parmesan.
That would have been my nomination. And bread crumbs. Both ingredients in my go-to salmon recipe.

I've also had difficulty finding taco shells, and the little envelop of taco seasoning.

You ever have the experience where your local store seems to just move things around to fuck with you? My local supermarket completely reorganized a couple of years ago. For a good year after that, it was almost amusing to see all of the shoppers essentially engaged in a scavenger hunt. "Well it was RIGHT HERE last week!" Seems to have calmed down since.

And why don't all stores of a single brand sock similar products arranged similarly? Our suburb has 2 Jewels, but they are laid out completely differently, and each one has some products which the other never stocks.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
You ever have the experience where your local store seems to just move things around to fuck with you?
Yes. I've bitched about it a number of times here on the board. And since I last posted this in November, they've rearranged the produce twice in that time, most recently a few weeks ago.

Quote:
This drives me crazy, too, OP. My local grocery store pulls this sort of shit at least once or twice a year, although it feels like three or four times a year to me. And it's not moving the goods up or down a few shelves; it can be on the shelf across from where it originally was, it could be in an adjacent aisle, or it could be clear in a another part of the store, depending on the item. Fuck, they even do this with produce. Green peppers used to be on the left wall when you walk in. Now, they're about twenty yards away on the right wall. Lettuce used to be on the right; now it's on the left. LIquor section, same shit. Wne use to be aisles two and three, with hard spirits against the wall and across from it. Now wine is on the wall, spirits in aisles two and three. The bread has moved around so many god damned times in the store. Sometimes it's in the aisle against the fridges. Sometimes, the aisle before that, sometimes on free-standing shelving in the middle of the store by the deli section. Cans of peanuts went all the way from aisle 10 to aisle 2. Drives me absolutely fucking batty, ask my wife.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Moving over to CS.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Jiffy muffin mix. Sometimes it's with the flour. Sometimes near the cake mixes. One time it was with the pancake mix. Some stores try and keep corn muffin mix with the others. Some stores separate corn muffin mix off with the other corn muffin mixes. It doesn't help that the boxes are pretty small and usually tucked up high on a shelf.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yes. I've bitched about it a number of times here on the board. And since I last posted this in November, ...
Wish I'd seen that Pit thread. I thought I was a bear in stores, but my wife is friggin BRUTAL. Clerk asks, "Can I help you?" We ask a question and it is immediately apparent that clerk know NOTHING about their stock, as they proceed to read the carton or something. To which my wife says, "Apparently you CAN'T!"

Or we go to check out, and the cashier starts asking us about our plans, or commenting about our selections, and my wife says something like, "I'd prefer if we restrict this relationship to a business transaction."

Makes me realize how she puts up with the likes of ME!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
We need an app for this.

Seriously.

Home Depot's web site tells you if an item is in stock and gives the aisle for a specific store.

Big grocery chains should do the same.

An App that let you choose the store. Enter cereal. And it says aisle 3A
I think Walmart has an app that tells you the aisle, though I have never used it.

My vote for something impossible to find and never where it logically should be is chocolate syrup, the kind you have on ice cream. Once in a while a store will have some of those wire basket thingys attached to a door on the ice cream aisle, the kind of basket that holds specialty or one-off items like toys. But even then it's usually a generic kind, never Hershey's and certainly not the more 'gourmet' kinds of toppings. WHY??? Why would a store stock this item anywhere else except near the ice cream or, at minimum, milk? I buy it so seldom that anytime I do, I've forgotten again where it's located in the store and have to ask every single time unless I want to walk up and down, up and down.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Preach it, OP! Around here the two main stores stock Velveeta either on the "International" aisle (?)
Maybe they thought it was Finnish.

All it's missing is a couple umlauts.

Last edited by John Mace; 04-13-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 PM

Marshmallow Fluff.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 PM

It's plentiful, stacked up on a shelf in the refrigerated (mundane) cheese section. Right above the cello-wrapped 'Murican cheese slices, the 2/$5 blocks of cheese, the Baby Bells, the hummus, the port wine cheese balls. Right round the corner from the cream cheese, onion dip, sour cream, I've never seen it otherwise than in this cheese section. Right across from the yogurt/cottage cheese/cheese sticks and sliced cellophaned Sargento cheese/
Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
It's plentiful, stacked up on a shelf in the refrigerated (mundane) cheese section. Right above the cello-wrapped 'Murican cheese slices, the 2/$5 blocks of cheese, the Baby Bells, the hummus, the port wine cheese balls. Right round the corner from the cream cheese, onion dip, sour cream, I've never seen it otherwise than in this cheese section. Right across from the yogurt/cottage cheese/cheese sticks and sliced cellophaned Sargento cheese/
If you're speaking of Velveeta, quite often, around here, it's not in a refrigerated section at all, but rather on the store shelves at room temperature.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:36 PM

Related to the subject matter of this thread:
I HATE when a grocery store has a reno/facelift and changes everything around!
Honestly, it takes me months and months to get my bearings again on some of those little things!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I was sure I'd be the first to bring up raisins but is well covered.

I'll add certain Mexican foods in a mass market store. The crema and queso may not be anywhere near the Dean's and Kraft stuff. There's a grocery near me that has dedicated a small island cooler... in between the bakery cakes, the fresh flowers, and produce.
Tortillas may be in more than one place, too. Nationally or regionally distributed manufacturers may have some room in the bread aisle or perhaps an endcap. The good, local stuff wrapped in paper and delivered daily isn't in the vicinity. Protip: If you've checked the expected sections for tortillas but still can't find these superior staples, look for a low shelf in front of the deli or butcher cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Clerk asks, "Can I help you?"
Cashier: "Did you find everything you were looking for today?"
Me: "Uh, well, actually not. You're out of [something mundane like yellow onions or flat parsley]."
Cashier: "Oh. Um...sorry about that...?"

I no longer answer this question truthfully.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I think Velveeta is illegal in Wisconsin. I know some Irish butter is. The cows have spoken.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:28 PM

High-end call girls aside...

Oft times I find it more difficult to find Valvoline Axle Grease at my local grocery store.

Ironically, when I shop at my local automotive store, when I browse the Axle Grease isle, guess what I find? That's right—Velveeta!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:42 PM

An open check-out aisle?

I have trouble finding vinegar . I know! Different stores have it in different locations. No signs for it. And either it flies off the shelf, or they don't keep much on hand. Or both.

I thought you were all saying Pearl Bailey. Time for new spectacles.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 PM

A few years ago Mrs. Daylate was looking for some mincemeat for one of her great pies. After searching for it in our local grocery, she finally collared a clerk (male, about 25 Y.O.) and asked him where it was. He promptly lead her to the meat counter, and started looking.

Don't remember if any mincemeat was ever found.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:21 PM

Daft me - I'm always having to ask where the individually-toed socks section is.

Never had Velveeta before.

too chicken
Old 04-14-2017, 05:05 AM

In some stores, the most difficult thing to find is a working shopping cart.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:32 AM

Oh, there's one over by the Velveeta.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
If you're speaking of Velveeta, quite often, around here, it's not in a refrigerated section at all, but rather on the store shelves at room temperature.
Same here. I've never seen Velveeta in the refrigerated section. It's always in various places around the store. It doesn't need refrigerated if the package hasn't been opened.