Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 AM

Best/Worst comic strips.

What are the best comic strips, in your opinion? The Worst comic strips?
Advertisements  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:43 AM

If you can include the classics, the best is Segar's Thimble Theater. Dunno about the worst- there's a lot of bad ones to choose from.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Best of all time is Krazy Kat, with Pogo second. There is no argument other than possibly switching the order).

Currently? I'd go with The Argyle Sweater or Pearls Before Swine.

Worst of all time? Mallard Fillmore. This is inarguable, too.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 AM

Best of all time, no question whatsoever: Bloom County
Worst of all time, beyond the slightest doubt: Cathy

Current good comics:
Off the Mark
Luann
Prince Valiant

Current worst:
Nancy
Lockhorns
Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 AM

Tough question, because "best" covers a lot of ground. Best adventure strips? Best artwork? Most innovative? Funniest?

I'll agree with Son of a Rich about Thimble Theater being one of the greats -- it introduced Popeye, and Segar's storytelling was great, even if (or because) of his primitive art style.

I'll agree with RealityChuck about Krazy Kat because of its heavy influence, but I have to admit that I've never really been a big fan of either Krazy Kat on its own or (blasphemy!) of Pogo, either. There was an occasional strip I liked.

One of the true greats has to be Winsor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland. When these originally ran in the Sunday papers, in full color, with the "strip" taking up the entire page with its exotic fantasies and fin de siècle architecture, this must've blown that pre-movie audience away

https://www.google.com/search?q=Litt...mgrc=_&spf=205

(also the flip side, the adult nightmares in his black and white adult strip Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend. McCay practically invented the imagery of the Giant Beasts Invading the city, had not Gellett Burgess gotten there first.)

Dick Tracy was another great "story" strip.

For humor, I have to admit to a fondness for the 1960s-70s strips The Wizard of Id and B.C., which could be hilarious and intellectual and still filled with slapstick. This was before Johnny Hart got religion and made his strips tedious.

Of course, I'd include Doonesbury and Bloom County and The Far Side.

For worst, there are plenty of contenders. To tell the truth, many are so awful that I don't think Mallard Fillmore is even in the running. I may disagree with his politics, but his style is good and his presentation is, too. But there's no saving grace to strips like Bugs Bunny or any of the incarnations of Betty Boop. There have been some recent strips that I can't even recall the names of (nor do I want to) that are distinguished by a total lack of artistic capability as well as a lack of humor.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:13 AM

There are so many classics. Calvin and Hobbes will always be a favorite; as another thread made clear, almost everyone loves The Far Side.
Zits, by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman, about a family consisting of a teenage boy and his parents, who are often confounded by each other.
Most obscure, and hilarious: Overboard by Chip Dunham. A pirate ship portrayed as if a modern office: incompetent employees, idiot boss, office politics. I say obscure because I read it in the Baltimore Sun decades ago, but I have never seen it anywhere else.
I confess to bias; my husband created a few strips, but has never found a publisher for them. If anyone has any ideas about how to make them public, let me know.
There are few today that might be good, but the "artwork" is so bad I don't want to look at them.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:33 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I really enjoy The New Adventures of Queen Victoria, altho I don't always get it, since I don't always know the historical figures he uses.

On the other hand, there are far too many that I can't stand, so picking the worst is pretty close to impossible for me.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Lil' Abner (1934-1977) was the only comic strip able to sustain months-long, suspenseful plots with extremely funny joke-a-day stuff*. It also introduced characters vital to the popular culture (well, pretty much limited to us comics nerds these days): The Shmoos; Fearless Fosdick; Evil-Eye Fleegle, Master of the "Whammy;" etc. Also invented the concept of "Sadie Hawkins Day."

So that would be my choice. Pogo second.

*(you know who else could do this? Alison Bechdel, with her late, lamented Dykes to Watch Out For. Which doesn't count because it didn't run in the squares' newspapers.)

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 05-10-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Dates added
Old 05-10-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post

Current good comics:
Off the Mark
Luann
Prince Valiant
I used to read Off The Mark online a lot; I should probably go check it out again.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:39 AM

I have always been a comic junkie, so these days I maintain a GoComics account and a long page of comics - yes, I know, the web is full of brilliant, funny, edgy, kewler stuff but I can spare five minutes to read the old-school stuff, too.

I have about a half-dozen political panels on there - Toles, Luckovich, Danziger
I have always liked -
  • Pearls Before Swine (and all of its reflection parodies in the other strips)
  • Rhymes with Orange
  • Luann (not sure why)
  • Lio
  • Non Sequitur
  • Zippy
I like
  • Frazz
  • Monty
  • Speed Bump
  • Strange Brew
  • Off the Mark
  • Argyle Sweater
  • Dark Side of the Horse
And I have some oddball ones in there
  • Baldo and Baldo en Espanol - I like comparing the humor, especially when there are major cultural differences in the punchline
  • Garfield minus Garfield - the deconstructions are entertaining
  • Brewster Rockit
...and a dozen of the old standards. I have to say the tedious old Wizard of Id and BC have been fairly fresh lately. Seriously.

No comment on the classics; I think they're a different topic.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 05-10-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:11 AM
"Superstar"

Mod Hat On

Since this is seeking opinions about comic strips, I'm moving it to Cafe Society.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:18 AM

Best (in order):

Pogo
Calvin & Hobbes
Bloom County
Krazy Kat
Pearls Before Swine
Far Side
Doonesbury

Worst:
Zippy the Pinhead

Last edited by Prof. Pepperwinkle; 05-10-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Worst:
Zippy the Pinhead
YOW!!
Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 AM

Of current ones, my favorites are are Sally Forth, Foxtrot, Dilbert, Zits and Rhymes with Orange.

The worst is Fusco Brothers. It is clearly a science experiment designed to remove humor from the universe.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The worst is Fusco Brothers. It is clearly a science experiment designed to remove humor from the universe.
I kinda like The Fusco Brothers.

I've been vacationing in Down East Maine on and off for the past 35 years, and I occasionally have to read the Boston Globe up there when I can't get the New York Times, and I've only ever seen it in the Globe.

So when I see The Fusco Brothers, it reminds me of being on vacation in Maine. And gives me an inexplicable yearning for steamed clams.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Several years ago, the Chicago Tribune ran a comic strip called Reply All on a trial basis. Then there was a vote on whether to keep that comic strip or another one. Reply All lost the vote 94% to 6%. It was the ugliest, least funny piece of shit I've ever seen. I started a thread about it:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=665095

Last edited by Ponch8; 05-10-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Based just on what's in my daily newspaper:

BEST
Brewster Rockitt (I swear, this is the freshest, most clever strip being produced these days)
Pearls Before Swine
Lio
Sally Forth (the meta strips are great: just this week a character that only shows up during Hillary's summer vacation is asked what's he's been up to, and his answer is "I don't know; it's like I live in a void until July" or something like that)
Big Nate
Dilbert

WORST
Hard to say, b/c the ones I gave a chance but don't like, I don't read. Having said that, they got rid of Get Fuzzy to make room for Mike De Jour, which is like some sort of sick joke. That's one terrible, terrible strip.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Jays Fan

For best, I'd have to go with "Calvin & Hobbes." The strip was simply brilliant, over and over. It was more consistently good than "The Far Side," which had some of the funniest jokes ever written by a human, but if you actually paw though all the Far Sides, a surprising number aren't very funny. C&H was good basically every single day.

Obviously, many, many comic strips are brilliant and innovative. Pogo, Peanuts, Dilbert, Bloom County, XKCD, all wonderful and important.

For worst, I admit I hate "Cathy," too. I agree that "Reply All" strip is appalling - I randomly fired up 10 strips, nine did not have anything I could identify as a joke, and the one that did wasn't funny - but I am sure there are even worse ones; to get my vote is has to be a strip popular enough that most people would have seen it if they read the funny pages.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-10-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:05 PM

Favorite currently running strip that nobody has mentioned yet: Get Fuzzy. Worst? Family Circus.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Favorite currently running strip that nobody has mentioned yet: Get Fuzzy. Worst? Family Circus.
I stepped away from Get Fuzzy when it went on reruns, which seems to be a common thing these days.

Some of the strips on GoComics are delayed - reruns from a couple of years back, I guess as relicensed material. I don't mind as long as I didn't read the originals, which for things like Doonesbury and Get Fuzzy I had.

I really liked Starslip, but the author seems to have run it first as a webcomic, then rebooted it as a print strip, and then ended it, in-strip, at some point recently. (The final crisis involved a risk of rebooting reality, and they push the button, and... fwoop.)

Family Circus, yeah. I'd put Marmaduke at the same level if I didn't live with Great Danes and find real comfort in someone else understanding how weird they are.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 PM

As for reruns, I've read enough of Peanuts to last me a lifetime. Also For Better or Worse and the daily Doonesbury. Enough, already.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:57 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
So when I see The Fusco Brothers, it reminds me of being on vacation in Maine. And gives me an inexplicable yearning for steamed clams.
See your Physician, or Minister.

I vote Pearls Before Swine for best, Mary Worth for the worth. Worst.

Brewester Rockit is... My spleen!
Old 05-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To each their own, but to me Get Fuzzy is the worst for one simple reason - the font! It's almost like Comic Sans. I'm getting too old to squint. And lots of times it's just silly misunderstanding of English phrases.

Two I like that haven't been mentioned are The Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee, and Heart of the City. The local Sunday paper has these at the bottom of page 7 (the last inside page), so I read page 8 first and save these two for the very last.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

My new favorite is one called Bad Machinery (on GoComics.com). It's a British strip set in a middle school. Funny but very warm and human.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Celtic Knot:

Quote:
Zits, by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman, about a family consisting of a teenage boy and his parents, who are often confounded by each other.
Nitpick - the family also includes a seldom-seen older brother (away at college, I think?) - he's not much of a factor in the strip, but it would be inaccurate to say the family consists of only the teenager and his parents.

I read a lot of comics, but I'd say the ones I like best at the moment are Monty, Frazz, and Pearls Before Swine.

Worst? I nominate Mutts. I hate the cat's stupid speech impediment. I hate the fact that the author thinks it's entertaining to have a full week of strips of just the cat singing about its little pink sock, and I hate the sappy "shelter stories weeks" that are basically repetitive advertisements for adopting shelter animals as pets (to be fair, these might have changed; I don't read it anymore since I don't like it).

Honorable mention for worst is Pibgorn, not because the content is bad, but because its author seems to take weeks-long vacations in the middle of storylines, and offers no word to the reading audience (at least not that I can see on GoComics.com - maybe there's a better venue for reading it) as to when the next installment can be expected.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Right now?
Dick Tracy-Lots of crossovers(Annie, The Spirit, Terry and the Pirates and so many others), and interesting plotlines(current one taking place at a cosplay convention, with non-mocking mentions of furries).
The Phantom-Nice continuity, very interesting villains, and a very real chance that in the near future one of his children is going to become the next Phantom, which would be the first passing of the torch since the strip began.
Safe Havens-Watching those kids grow up in real time has been a blast.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Honorable mention for worst is Pibgorn, not because the content is bad, but because its author seems to take weeks-long vacations in the middle of storylines
Heck, until just now I thought the strip ended years ago.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:04 PM

The one that whose continued existence baffles me is The Lockhorns. Incredibly old fashioned stereotypes and the same few recycled bits. It was out-of-date even when it started in 1968.

It makes Garfield look like high art.

(Even more baffling- according to Wikipedia it won two awards back when.)
Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 PM

Grand Avenue gradually became my most disliked. I haven't checked on it lately; looks like someone else writes it now. It debuted around the time of Get Fuzzy and was receiving some similar hype beforehand for being relatively edgy.

There's a lot of going for sardonic wit and sarcasm (often out of the mouth of the lippy girl character who's like 8 or 9) without any insightful intelligence on the part of the creator behind it beyond mining the obvious. Boring, depressing, and joyless.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If anyone reading this thread is unaware of the Comics Curmudgeon blog of Josh Fruhlinger (AKA "Josh Reads the Funnies So You Don't Have To"), you owe it to yourselves to have a look. One of the brightest parts of my Internet day.

Warning: I started reading this years ago by only checking out Josh's daily commentary. But the commenters are so damn amusing I now regularly plow through the 150-200 posts whenever I can make the time.

https://joshreads.com/
Old 05-10-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
I stepped away from Get Fuzzy when it went on reruns, which seems to be a common thing these days.
I stopped reading when I got a bit tired of the delivery of the jokes-the artist in question simply does not have a good sense of comic timing. A simple example-knowing when to leave a panel empty of any text (Bill Watterson did this very expertly). Conley simply cannot resist the temptation to fill every panel with text, often too much of it. The jokes need to breathe.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Pogo
Dick Tracey
Old 05-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Best ever: Far Side.

I do like Brewster Rocket but no local papers carry it anymore.

Worst: Mallard Fillmore (Do even conservatives think it's funny?)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Best ever, by far: Calvin & Hobbes.

Worst: going way back, I'd nominate Henry.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
[B]...(you know who else could do this? Alison Bechdel, with her late, lamented Dykes to Watch Out For. Which doesn't count because it didn't run in the squares' newspapers.)
Amen. DTWOF was terrific, and very well drawn.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Amen. DTWOF was terrific...
"There is entirely too much relish at this picnic."
Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Get Fuzzy is only new on weekends. Since Oct. 2013 the daily strips have been reruns. I like it, but I can see why newspapers are dropping it.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Get Fuzzy is only new on weekends. Since Oct. 2013 the daily strips have been reruns.
I never noticed it.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:59 PM

There's a new one out - "Cat Breaking News". Horrible.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Oh, shame, you Treacherous Cretin! Shame!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:17 PM

My personal favourite would be The Far Side and I rather enjoy its spiritual successor, The Argyle Sweater.

I've never understood or got the popularity of Doonesbury, or why Australian newspapers run it. Worse, I often see "Classic Doonesbury" from the 1970s and think "Who, in this country, is amused by a political comic strip from before the invention of cassette tapes???"

Last edited by Martini Enfield; 05-10-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
There are so many classics. Calvin and Hobbes will always be a favorite; as another thread made clear, almost everyone loves The Far Side.
Most obscure, and hilarious: Overboard by Chip Dunham. A pirate ship portrayed as if a modern office: incompetent employees, idiot boss, office politics. I say obscure because I read it in the Baltimore Sun decades ago, but I have never seen it anywhere else.
I confess to bias; my husband created a few strips, but has never found a publisher for them. If anyone has any ideas about how to make them public, let me know.
There are few today that might be good, but the "artwork" is so bad I don't want to look at them.
There's a strip I found on the gocomics dot com site a few years ago, called Breaking Cat News by Georgia Dunn. It follows the antics of three cats living in the household of a young couple and their growing family. The conceit is that the cats treat their daily life as a newscast. When I first saw it, the strips werre done in a watercolor style, and they were of varying lengths (which made online publication pretty much necessary). Recently (like, in the past few weeks), the strip has apparently been picked up for syndication, and publication in newspapers.

It may be worthwhile to try to track Ms. Dunn down and see how she got her start.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lil' Abner (1934-1977) was the only comic strip able to sustain months-long, suspenseful plots with extremely funny joke-a-day stuff*. It also introduced characters vital to the popular culture (well, pretty much limited to us comics nerds these days): The Shmoos; Fearless Fosdick; Evil-Eye Fleegle, Master of the "Whammy;" etc. Also invented the concept of "Sadie Hawkins Day."

So that would be my choice. Pogo second.

*(you know who else could do this? Alison Bechdel, with her late, lamented Dykes to Watch Out For. Which doesn't count because it didn't run in the squares' newspapers.)
Is DTWOF available online? Fun fact about the artist: Her graphic novel/memoir, Fun Home, provided the basis for the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical of the same name.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-10-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebert View Post
There's a new one out - "Cat Breaking News". Horrible.
If you only know about "Breaking Cat News" from the strips that have appeared in newspapers, you should check it out online and read them from the beginning. They're delightful, especially if you're any kind of a cat person.

I will say that the migration to newspapers, where the strip is constrained to the three-panel format, hasn't done it any favors.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

I haven't read the comics in ages. But best would definitely be Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes, obviously (as someone who grew up reading comics in the 80s and 90s). Pearls Before Swine was good for the first few years, but I've just grown tired of it. (I read it from about 2004-2006 before I lost interest). I occasionally flip back to it when I have the funny pages at my disposal (which is not often these days) and it's usually just so-so.

Worst? I'm surprised I'm the first to mention Fred Basset. I'm still on the lookout for a funny Fred Basset comic.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Anyone else with love for Ernie Bushmiller's Nancy ?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:14 AM

Best:

Classic period Peanuts, from the 1950s to whenever age caught up with ol' Sparky.

The Far Side, which is only made better by every sub-par imitation which gets released.

Calvin and Hobbes, with Frazz a fairly good homage which needs to take more chances.

Get Fuzzy, which has made me laugh harder than any other comic strip.

Pearls Before Swine, which is not far behind.

Little Nemo In Slumberland for the sheer artwork and imagination and just being Winsor McCay at his Winsor McCay-i-est (and that ain't peanuts).

Krazy Kat for being jazz in comic form, repetition on a theme done with wit and aplomb and endless language play.

Not Worst, or knockwurst, the sausage of the comics world, a homogeneous product laid out on the page, endlessly, repetitively:

Any of the zombie comics, such as Blondie or Hi and Lois or Beetle Bailey or The Lockhorns or any of the other comics passed down from generation to generation, the ones which endlessly rerun the same jokes which may have been funny once but which have now been so thoroughly beaten into the ground it's impossible to imagine anyone finding them funny. But they're not the worst. They're the visual equivalent of cinder blocks, filling space and preventing any holes which angry letters might otherwise pour through. They're just not worth the effort of considering them the worst.

Worst:

Yeah, probably Mallard Fillmore for being so insufferably unfunny and shrill and chip-on-its-shoulder-y that it's impossible to imagine anyone laughing along with it in a good-natured way. It's the comic of the trolls of the political world, the people who only find humor in mean-spirited put-downs and deliberately misunderstanding everyone else's point simply to annoy them. Sure, there are probably objectively worse comics which have hit print, comics with even worse art and, possibly, meaner "humor" and a lower average intelligence, but nobody's heard of them so their damage is limited. Mallard Fillmore, the Affirmative Action comic, the comic which only gets printed to "balance out" Doonesbury, is running in wide release.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:37 AM

Another vote for Calvin and Hobbes.
Deep and Imaginative ideas, whimsical humor, eloquent yet tight writing, excellent art. This is a real all-rounder.

As a teen, I also loved Matt Groening’s Life in Hell for it’s dark and off-beat humor.

Worst: Probably Mary Worth.
Also, although I’ve only skimmed through a few, I’d say Funky Winkerbean has to be in the running for one of the worst by being both a humorless “funny” comic and a pretentious “serious” comic at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
almost everyone loves The Far Side.
To nitpick, The Far Side, though often brilliantly funny and despite being one of my all-time favorite "funnies", is not technically a comic strip.
For this same reason, I can’t include the often profound and always quirky work of Leunig or the deliciously sardonic work of Kaz Cooke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
I've never understood or got the popularity of Doonesbury, or why Australian newspapers run it. Worse, I often see "Classic Doonesbury" from the 1970s and think "Who, in this country, is amused by a political comic strip from before the invention of cassette tapes???"
Heh. I'll cop to that. Even as a kid I liked the ironic humor of Doonesbury, although a lot of it sailed right over my head. It also had an intriguing format and played around with its narratives and artwork in a sort of cinematic way that I found interesting.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

Best: Calvin and Hobbes. Why are you even asking?
Worst: Fred Bassett.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I have nothing to say to you.