Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Trump will resign

As more and more damning information is made public about trump, it seems to me that the most likely scenario is that he will very suddenly resign, and immediately declare to his "base" that he was hounded out of office for telling the truth and trying to help them, something they will believe wholeheartedly.

He'll then hold some brownshirt rallies in congenial places, bath in the adulation, and go back to cheating people in the private sector.

My feeling is that this will happen in the next month or two.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 AM

From your post to Trumpy's ear.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
He'll then hold some brownshirt rallies in congenial places, bath in the adulation, and go back to cheating people in the private sector.
Emphasis added. Please tell me that was a typo.

As of the general idea, nothing would surprise me at this point.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 AM

I can feel that happening. He is not happy in the situation he has gotten himself into. There is little reason to believe he actually wanted to win. After the surprise election win, he tried to figure out how to make the most impact, and resorted to claiming that his campaign promises were of substance, that he could, in fact, come up with a better medical plan right off the top of his head, that he would fix foreign problems through his experience as a negotiator, etc. etc....

He surrounded himself with people who he liked, and fooled himself into believing that success in business or military would translate to ability to get things done in a political sphere. That isn't working, actually.

Etc. etc. Now he is being hounded by 3/4 of the people in the country, almost all the press, the FBI, a significant slice of congress....and he must now weigh the on one hand, benefit to himself of staying, vs. the other hand, the odds of any real success in making himself into an American Hero are getting longer and longer....and I think, all things considered, the door and the helicopter ride to Dulles and the jet to Mar Lago will continue to look better every day until he simply walks out with an "I quit" note on Presidential Stationery on the big desk in the office he wasn't good enough to handle.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Emphasis added. Please tell me that was a typo.

As of the general idea, nothing would surprise me at this point.
At this point, I'd be surprised if we end up with a normal election cycle next time--Trump running w/o a primary challenger.

Any other ending: resignation, death, impeachment, 25th, stand-off in the Oval Office because he refuses to leave. I won't even be surprised if he limps along for 3 more years. But if he does, I expect a weird primary season in 2019.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:29 AM

I'd like to think it will end in murder-suicide with his entire cabinet and family, dramatically arranged in a circle in the Oval Office, but that's just wishful thinking.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I'd like to think it will end in murder-suicide with his entire cabinet and family, dramatically arranged in a circle in the Oval Office, but that's just wishful thinking.
I would prefer that all of them spend the rest of their days in dank prison cells, thinking about their evil ways. Except for Melania. I want her to write a book about the sexual shortcomings of her husband. Then have her marry into the Kennedy family.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:38 AM

He'll be holding rallies the rest of his miserable life. "I tried to go to Washington and fight for the little guy, fix health care, secure that borders and make America great again, but one thing I wasn't prepared for is what a sick guy Obama was. He put people in place to make sure that didn't happen."
Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I would prefer that all of them spend the rest of their days in dank prison cells, thinking about their evil ways. Except for Melania. I want her to write a book about the sexual shortcomings of her husband. Then have her marry into the Kennedy family.
Great scenario!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 AM

Prediction of Trump's imminent demise as a candidate/President no 916.

Its gotta happen sometime
Old 05-18-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I would prefer that all of them spend the rest of their days in dank prison cells, thinking about their evil ways.
You assume they have something resembling a conscience. I've yet to see any evidence they do.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Prediction of Trump's imminent demise as a candidate/President no 916.

Its gotta happen sometime
Its a little over 100 days in to his term and there is already an independent counsel investigating his campaign. Does that sound like business as usual to you?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:03 PM

I was thinking about this this morning, I wonder if he would resign if Mueller subpoenaed his tax returns.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I was thinking about this this morning, I wonder if he would resign if Mueller subpoenaed his tax returns.
Does Mueller have that authority? I think he should, his sources of income seem relevant to the investigation.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

The usual resigner's claim, that he needed to spend more time with his family, would have to be seen in light of his choice to spend Mother's Day playing golf.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Hard righties love to promote victimization ("war on Christmas," "war on Christians," "liberal/mainstream media lies," "teh gay agenda," "we're being overrun by immigrants," etc.). Trump, no matter what happens to his presidency, will become their patron saint. I expect he will monetize their worship as soon is humanly possible, if he hasn't already.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Trump won't run/will be defeated by the GOP candidates/is only running for publicity/will drop out before the election/will get crushed by Hillary/hates being president/will be prosecuted as Putin's Knave/will resign/will be forced out for not spending time at the White House/will be impeached any time now/will be impeached for profiting whilst in office/will be impeached for having Comey as an accomplice/will be impeached for firing Comey/will be removed as a warmonger/will be prosecuted for revealing secrets to the Russian Ambassador at an open meeting in the White House/he's ugly and his mom dresses him funny...
Old 05-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Hey, Trump Should Just Quit, Right?
Quote:
But no, the solution to everyone's worries—including Trump's—is as simple as a two-word letter on White House stationery: "I'm Fired."
Quote:
Trump should quit, because everyone hates that he's the president.
Quote:
And maybe most important, Trump is himself unhappy with being president. "I loved my previous life. I had so many things going," Trump told Reuters last month. "This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier."
Quote:
He's right: His old life was easier, and the media is unfair to him. The job fucking sucks, he is miserable in it, everyone is yelling at him more and more every time he screws up, which is all the time. There will be more scandals, maybe even an impeachment, which would be even rougher on Trump, not to mention the country.

If Trump quits now, he has a ready-made excuse: The media and the Establishment made his job impossible. He can't make America great again—at least not from the White House. He could spend his days touring the country telling his fans what they want to hear, basking in their love, not having to listen to those boring briefings or being forced to sit next to foreign leaders and smile for the cameras. He could write a new book, put his name on new buildings, and bring a souvenir back to his office in Trump Tower: a map of his election victory, when he proved that the haters and losers were wrong about him.

Doesn't that sound nice?
It sounds better than thinking of England; aye.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Drake
Trump won't run/will be defeated by the GOP candidates/is only running for publicity/will drop out before the election/will get crushed by Hillary/hates being president/will be prosecuted as Putin's Knave/will resign/will be forced out for not spending time at the White House/will be impeached any time now/will be impeached for profiting whilst in office/will be impeached for having Comey as an accomplice/will be impeached for firing Comey/will be removed as a warmonger/will be prosecuted for revealing secrets to the Russian Ambassador at an open meeting in the White House/he's ugly and his mom dresses him funny...
Right. Any month now.

I suspect the hope is like the old joke -

'I can always guess someone's star sign. For instance, I think yours is Capricorn.'

'No.'

'Aries?'

'No.'

'Leo?'

'No.'

"Aquarius?'

'Yes."

'See?'

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-18-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Its a little over 100 days in to his term and there is already an independent counsel investigating his campaign. Does that sound like business as usual to you?
Heh. Nixon lasted, what, just over five-and-a-half years in office -- getting re-elected along the way -- before resigning in disgrace? And here we are, with fingers crossed, talking about Trump maybe calling it quits in under five-and-a-half months.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Have you been following at all over the past 20 months? What about Trump's candidacy has been "business as usual"?
Old 05-18-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Heh. Nixon lasted, what, just over five-and-a-half years in office -- getting re-elected along the way -- before resigning in disgrace?
Bear in mind that the scandal which brought Nixon down occurred in 1972 (i.e., in the final year of Nixon's first term). While the break-in itself, and the involvement of Nixon's re-election committee, became publicly known before the 1972 election, it wasn't until 1973 that it became clear that it was a wider conspiracy, and a special prosecutor was named.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:17 PM

I saw this thread title and for a brief and shining second I thought...
Old 05-18-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeeoaddi View Post
I saw this thread title and for a brief and shining second I thought...
False hope...
Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
It never was business as usual, but if you think Donald Trump's going to just publically admit defeat this easily, you haven't been watching.

Trump knows lawyers and he knows how to stay out of jail. He's already lining up the sacrificial lambs.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Actually I understand Roger Clinton is single now.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Have you been following at all over the past 20 months? What about Trump's candidacy has been "business as usual"?
Sure, but what's your point? He couldn't be impeached while he wasn't president.

He did enough stupid shit that his demise absolutely should have happened during his candidacy.
But it turned out that as long as he could continue to dumb things down for his base "Lock her up" "Build the wall" etc, and enough Republicans would remain loyal to their party over other considerations, it was enough.

But now, it's not just a matter of appealing to his base. His words have consequences now, and we're really seeing his (self-inflicted) problems pile up incredibly fast.

In fact, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I'm going to place a bet he won't make it to the end of the year. Alas, the payout won't be great: UK betting firms are currently putting the chance of impeach or resign within first term at 48%.

Last edited by Mijin; 05-18-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM

Fine. At 12:01 A.M New York Time on January 1st 2018, if he is still President of the US, you post a thread saying I am a dumbass?. Or maybe Ak84 is awesome.
Deal?
Old 05-18-2017, 01:59 PM

I don't think he will resign. He is a business man and likes money.

He is in a position to generate lots of wealth. And he will.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:00 PM

yeah, bath is a typo.

His resignation is not my hope, my hope is that a hand reaches out of the clouds and picks him up by his necktie. It's what I think is the most likely scenario, given his patterns. Trump blusters and lies right up until he realizes he can't win, and then he just quits, very abruptly. There is almost nothing that is going well for him right now. Investigations are gathering steam, the public outcry is louder all the time, which means his congressional supporters are starting to waver, looking at their re-election chances.

I really do not think he is going to wait to be impeached or even investigated. He's got a mountain of dirt in his closet and he knows it.

I'm aware we keep saying shit like this, but I'm not talking about what other people will or should do, I'm talking about how he has always behaved, his entire life.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 05-18-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I don't see Trump resigning. He'll tell himself and his true believers that his enemies will never be able to beat him. He and his true believers will keep on denying what's happening as Pence takes the oath of office.

Then the true believers will claim that this was their plan all along. They never liked Trump and this was all about getting Pence into the Oval Office. Trump was a liberal and they beat the Democrats by forcing him out of office. The conservatives win again!
Old 05-18-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
my hope is that a hand reaches out of the clouds and picks him up by his necktie.
Not that I would mourn his passing, but dying now would make him a martyr and prevent his character from being rightfully impugned. If he has to go, make it something like drowning in a golden shower while in full drag.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Does Mueller have that authority? I think he should, his sources of income seem relevant to the investigation.
I'm fairly sure that Mueller has authority to investigate wherever the Russia connections take him. Which if you look at all of the connections, pretty much opens it up to a LOT.

So yes, I think Trump's returns are absolutely fair game, and actually pretty important. As well as all of the details of Trump's business dealings.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Where is the proof that he or his campaign people engaged in any criminal activity with regards to Russia? If there was no criminal activity then there was no obstruction by firing Comey.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Where is the proof that he or his campaign people engaged in any criminal activity with regards to Russia? If there was no criminal activity then there was no obstruction by firing Comey.
Not necessarily so. If there is a investigation into illegal activity and that investigation is obstructed, then I believe that makes it obstruction of justice even if later it is shown no criminal activity actually occurred.

I accept any feedback on this by any of our board's Legal Eagles like....... (name withheld)
Old 05-18-2017, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
I don't think he will resign. He is a business man and likes money.

He is in a position to generate lots of wealth. And he will.

This.

Quote:

And This Also.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Well, that's what the investigation is going to be about, isn't it?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I would imagine that the point of hiring Mr. Mueller is to answer that very question.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I would imagine that the point of hiring Mr. Mueller is to answer that very question.
The point of hiring Mr. Mueller is to kick the ball forward so such a question is not answered for months if not years and everyone can go back to what is important, i.e living in terror at the next Trump tweet.

Commissions, Investigators are rarely employed primarily with the intention of discovering the truth.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubaya View Post
He'll be holding rallies the rest of his miserable life. "I tried to go to Washington and fight for the little guy, fix health care, secure that borders and make America great again, but one thing I wasn't prepared for is what a sick guy Obama was. He put people in place to make sure that didn't happen."
This - he has already set up all of his failure excuses.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Well, that's what the investigation is going to be about, isn't it?

"An accused devil is a guilty devil."
Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Drake View Post
"An accused devil is a guilty devil."
I'm confused. Don't want to put words in your mouth, but you seem to be saying that there should be NO investigation. That the truth is already so obvious, that an investigation is not needed. Are you in agreement with Mr. Trump when he said that no politician in history has been treated “more unfairly than him"?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The point of hiring Mr. Mueller is to kick the ball forward so such a question is not answered for months if not years and everyone can go back to what is important, i.e living in terror at the next Trump tweet.

Commissions, Investigators are rarely employed primarily with the intention of discovering the truth.
I don't understand this remark. What do you suggest instead?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
At this point, I'd be surprised if we end up with a normal election cycle next time--Trump running w/o a primary challenger.
My gut feeling is, he makes it to 2020, then "pulls an LBJ" and announces that he's not running for re-election. As things stand right now, he has about as much chance of re-election as Jimmy Carter did - speaking of whom, IIRC, he was lucky to beat Ted Kennedy for the nomination in 1980.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Suspended

What made you think he ever wanted two terms ? One is enough to set up his family to join the Roosevelts, the Kennedys, and the Clintons; and he'll be 79 in 2025, wanting to enjoy his golden years.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Trump will resign

No doubt. He does seem to enjoy signing things.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Facebook meme: A copy of Nixon's resignation letter, with the comment that it has fewer than 140 letters.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I dont believe that's how it works (or should work) - he impeded the investigation - thats obstruciton - justice may (or may not) equal charges or finding of wrongdoing -it could also be being cleared of said.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:08 PM

I don't think he'll resign. In a fit of pique, he will stop showing up for work. It will be two weeks before anyone notices.

"Hey, hasn't it been awfully quiet around here the last few days?"
Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
I don't think he'll resign. In a fit of pique, he will stop showing up for work. It will be two weeks before anyone notices.

"Hey, hasn't it been awfully quiet around here the last few days?"
This idea has some merit.