Old 05-31-2017, 04:07 PM

So I bought Hamm's beer

I thought they weren't selling it anymore but was going for something else and Hamm's was the only 'Merikun' lager they had. So I bought it. Cracked one open. Wasn't half bad actually.

Maybe this belongs under mundane pointless stuff.
Advertisements  
Old 05-31-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

What color are the waters in the land you come from??
Old 05-31-2017, 04:29 PM

I've never had a single can of Hamm's beer in my life, yet I instantly remembered From the land of sky blue waters...
Old 05-31-2017, 04:37 PM

My grandfather worked at the brewery in St. Paul his entire working life - it may be the only job he ever had. It isn't made in St. Paul any longer.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:58 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Yep. It's back in distribution, and in tall-boys! I picked up a six-pack a few months ago myself. Not a bad lawnmower beer and it's perfect for doing brats and making chili.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Maybe this belongs under mundane pointless stuff.
Threads about beer definitely belong in CS. Threads about Hamm's...I'm not sure.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I have to admit, I preferred watching the Hamm's "bear" commercials over watching Yogi Bear cartoons when I was about 5. And that never changed.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
In case that's a whoosh: the Dakota word that became "Minnesota" (where the beer is made) means "sky blue waters."
Old 05-31-2017, 05:31 PM

I've been known to knock back a few when they go on "Super-Sale". Damn sure better than Coors Light.

I've also got a couple vintage Hamm's beer bar signs, that light up and are very cool. Not the one you're all probably thinking of, but good ones none the less.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:37 PM

Hamm is a family name, and although not durectly connected with the brewing company, it is still fun to see the name back in circulation.

"Hamm's the beer refreshing, Hamm's the beer refreshing"
Old 05-31-2017, 05:46 PM

Did Hamm not want it anymore? Was there an estate sale?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Yep. It's back in distribution, and in tall-boys! I picked up a six-pack a few months ago myself. Not a bad lawnmower beer and it's perfect for doing brats and making chili.
I had a Hamm's for the first time in many years about five years ago at a local pub that had a "bartender's choice buck-beer-of-the-night" kind of thing going on. It was okay, but way sweeter than most of the lawnmower beers in its class. Or maybe I was just particularly sweet sensitive that night, who knows.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post

I've also got a couple vintage Hamm's beer bar signs, that light up and are very cool. Not the one you're all probably thinking of, but good ones none the less.
Crap! They are Olympia signs!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=50&ajaxhist=0
Old 05-31-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
My Uncle tried for years to buy into Shell's Deer Beer, but the family refused to sell any part of it.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Forgive me, Gato, but the one time I had an Oly (recommended by my Dad), I thought I was gonna spit up dinner from three days ago. The absolute worst; Dad agreed. And was shocked--he loved it in Seattle.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 05-31-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
The Hamm family actually sold out in 1965 to Heublein. The brand changed hands a number of times since then and is currently owned by MillerCoors and brewed in Milwaukee. I have no idea whether today's Hamm's tastes anything like the original formula. Did the original Hamm's formula include corn syrup?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Forgive me, Gato, but the one time I had an Oly (recommended by my Dad), I thought I was gonna spit up dinner from three days ago. The absolute worst; Dad agreed. And was shocked--he loved it in Seattle.
Olympia was bought by Pabst in 1999 and has since moved production to a MillerCoors facility in Southern California. So depending on your timeline, your dad probably did drink a different beer.

Of course, it was never a premium, top-of-the-line beer. There might also be some overly-fond memories involved.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:34 PM

[music]Here in the big beer-drinkin' brotherhood of Hamm's![/music]

They had cartoon bears first (in my recollection anyway). One of them changed the second E in "beer" on a Hamm's billboard to an A. They were fun commercials. I liked them just fine.

Then they switched to a live action thing of a guy and his pet bear moving from bar to bar in lumberjack territory. Very uninteresting next to the cartoon bears.

I have probably told this story before--my son was passionately interested in Broadway musicals when he was a kid and kept coming home from the library with a CD of something he didn;t know. One night I'm sitting at my desk and vaguely working while vaguely listenig to his music--a show I wasn;t very familiar with, How to Succeed in Business w/out Really Trying. All of a sudden a very familar song comes on. "Hey!" I call out. "Why is there a beer commercial in this show?"

(It wasn;t a beer commercial, of course...still, "there is a brotherhood/Of Hamm's" is awfully close to "there is a brotherhood/Of Man" and I think the mistake was understandable.)
Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Michigan here.

I don't drink at all anymore, but Hamm's is available here for around $10-$12 for a 30 pack and has been the last few years.

I have never had it.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 PM

Yeah, Burpo, Oly's not the best, but the signs are still cool!
Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Never seen Hamm's for sale around NYC.

I'll be in Chicago for the next few days, and may hoist an Old Style or two at a corner bar for old time's sake. While keeping my eyes open for the stray Leinenkugel. If I see Hamm's around, I'll give it a try.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Never seen Hamm's for sale around NYC.

I'll be in Chicago for the next few days, and may hoist an Old Style or two at a corner bar for old time's sake. While keeping my eyes open for the stray Leinenkugel. If I see Hamm's around, I'll give it a try.
Ya know, I was surprised how good Old Style was compared to current mass market beers. I was having a Chicago party and was able to find old style in Colorado springs. I thought it would be absolute trash beer, but it wasn't a bad lager.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:18 PM

Never seen it, much less drank it, but I remember a "Consumer's Report" circa 1970 rating it as one of the best beers in America. Back then us New Yorkers thought Colors was this great exotic beer because they would not ship it east of the Mississippi. Now every store has it.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner View Post
Ya know, I was surprised how good Old Style was compared to current mass market beers. I was having a Chicago party and was able to find old style in Colorado springs. I thought it would be absolute trash beer, but it wasn't a bad lager.
I'm a born-and-raised Chicagoan, so maybe I'm a little partisan (although Old Style is a La Crosse, Wisconsin, beer) but Old Style is my go-to cheap beer of choice. I actually do enjoy it. For years, I thought Miller High Life was my slumming it beer, but one night at a bar, after throwing back three or four High Lifes, I switched to Old Style on a whim, only to realize just how much more flavorful and enjoyable it was.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:39 PM

I just had one like, 3 days ago, while travelling. Aside from that I can't remember the last time I've had it or seen it available.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 11:43 PM

As far as "Grampa beer" goes, I wish I could get Stag beer out here. I got a taste for it when I lived near St. Louis. It's a lot like Dixie, which I can sometimes get if I beg the corner store hard enough. Can't remember if I've ever had Hamm's or not.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:24 AM

One of Pittsburgh's old "Grampa beers", Duquesne , is back in production.

Curious, I bought a case. All my friends were eager to try one. Nobody wanted a second, though. The case lasted a while.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 AM

Great. Now I'm going to have tom-toms beating in my head all day.

Just great.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I lived in Cleveland for a short time around 1970 and I remember the Stroh's ads running at the time. One I was fond of shows a bunch of fishing dorys bobbing around in the water. It comes in on a fisherman hauling in his dropline. He pauses a moment and his face lights up as he starts chortling. He hauls in a can of Stroh's hooked through its pull tab then hand to mouth starts calling to the other fisherman, "The Strohs are running! The Stro-o-ohs are running!"

The other shows an empty sand dune desert. Over the top of one files a British Colonel, about six Tommies, and an American airman. As they get close, the Colonel calls out, "All right, men, time for a break," and they flop down onto the sand, panting a bit. One of them says, "Hey, Yank, 'ow 'bout summa that Stroh's beer you been talkin' about?" The airman replies, "Sure!", reaches into his knapsack and hauls out... nothing -- his hand wrapped around an imaginary beer can. They open it up and drink it, extolling its virtues until the Colonel says, "Okay, men; drink up!" and they rise to their feet. As they march on, one of the Tommies shakes the now empty "can" and tosses it aside. His Sergeant chaffs him, "Pick that up! Don't want the Jerries to know we've been 'ere!" The guy stoops to pick it up, then hustles to catch up with the rest of the group as they disappear over a dune.

I looked for them on Youtube without success, but here's one in s similar vein.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
The other shows an empty sand dune desert...
I looked for them on Youtube without success, but here's one in s similar vein.
Here's the desert ad. Your memory is impressive.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
There's probably lead in my water -- all the more reason to drink Hamm's.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

My only contribution (not being a beer drinker) is that up until recently I worked at a Hamm family company. They're doing well, having diversified into a number of industries (including motion picture production), I presumed enabled in large part to their selling of their beer brand.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 PM

Hamms? Fuck that shit! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!
Old 06-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
That was pretty damn cool!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:22 PM

I always get Hamm's: From the land of sky blue waters. mixed up with Schmidt: The brew that grew with the great northwest.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Which brewer celebrated Artesian New Year?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:40 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Which brewer celebrated Artesian New Year?
That would be the aforementioned Olympia.

If you wanted a half-way decent beer from Washington back when, you drank Rainier. If you felt suicidal, you drank Rainier Ale (aka "Green Death").

Last edited by silenus; 06-01-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
If you felt suicidal, you drank Rainier Ale (aka "Green Death").
apparently so:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47051/1723/
Old 06-01-2017, 02:09 PM

So, now that you've tasted Hamm's, is it no longer the case that "a beer is a beer is a beer is a beer"? (late '60s/early '70s jingle)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:15 PM

I've been drinking Hamm's lately myself. Bought it initially because it was cheap, but it's actually not half bad.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:51 PM

My cheap, crap, boat beers are Genie Cream Ale & Bud Light Lime. But if other boaters putter over to chat, we pull out more classy stuff.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hell, the Chicago corner bar nearest my daughter's apartment has a god damn Hamm's sign hanging out front! Gotta stop in later.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:45 PM

My favorite cheap beer is Burger. I believe it is one of the very few cheap beers that uses 100% barley (no corn or rice).

Last edited by Crafter_Man; 06-01-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Thank you T-man. One (moving) picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:01 PM

Ah yes, Hamm's. The suds your grandfather drank while bowling.

A local punk rock emporium stocks the stuff on a "Shelf Of Shame" alongside several other flavors to be had for the princely sum of two bucks.

My go-to there is Genny Cream Ale, a beer whose taste I acquired a couple of decades ago when a New York City bar used them for open bars. As we all know the best beer is free beer, but now I'll gladly pony up two bucks plus a tip.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:

My favorite cheap beer is Burger. I believe it is one of the very few cheap beers that uses 100% barley (no corn or rice).
Do you mean Bergie! Exclamation point included. That was Hamms' "cheap beer"

When I was a kid, my uncle would bring by a six pack occasionally. Us kids would beg sips from all the adults. My father remarked, "all kids like beer". I remember it had plenty of hoppy bitters, but probably not aroma. I have it occasionally and find it better than all the American light lagers, especially better than Miller, PBR, and definitely the scab beer Coors. Yes, I know, there is no boycott anymore, but I want nothing to do with the Coors family, and you don't either if you have morals. BTW it is also better than Corona. I could never understand why anyone would drink that shit.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:02 PM

Back about 1974 or so, I worked a couple of days as a casual at the Hamms brewery in San Francisco. There was a sensor on the packaging line which detected incompletely filled cans and blew them off the line with a blast of air. They were trash, but the tax man would not allow them to go directly into the bin. They had to be punctured first. To accomplish this, they set up a open-top 55 gallon steel drum and hung a steel hook over the edge with a sharp point facing up on the inside of the lip of the drum. My job was to take each can and slam it down on the point to puncture it. This is absolutely no shit. Of course, beer was flying everywhere. After a few minutes I didn't care anymore that I was soaked in beer. Why? Because at breaktime we went to the lunchroom, which was more like a barroom. There was a room length cooler along one wall. Help yourself! So yeah, beer on the outside, and beer on the inside. Some of the guys were pretty lit up by quitting time, but nobody seemed to care. I doubt if they do this anymore. The fuckin' lawyers probably put an end to it. Sigh.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Trader Joe's Simpler Times Pilsener is particularly good for a cheap beer, if my memory is good.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:04 AM

During college days there was a great little place called the P & H Cafe (Poor and Hungry) that had a special of a greasy hamburger and a schooner of draft Hamm's for $3.95. Spent many afternoons playing shuffleboard and drinking Hamm's.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:45 AM

Just picked up a 30 pack from Meijer yesterday. Its' virtues include being very affordable, and it comes from the land of sky blue waters (water). Cartoon bears also seem to be quite partial to it. Oh, and did I mention it's quite affordable? Well it is.