Old 11-01-2017, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

It's a well established way to play in MTG, Pauper formats.

The problem, though, is that it's likely to be varying shades of midrange and aggro. I don't know if I want the new player experience to be boringsville minion bashing. And it's not like experienced players won't win anyway, experienced players can take midrange hunter to Legend. So all these new players will just lose in another ladder, in the most boring way possible.

I mean, as a new player, sure you don't get to play the cool cards, but back when I started, there were few things as awesome as watching Rag get played on the board. WHAM, that was cool to watch. And when I crafted my own Rag? That was real satisfying.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Unpacked a golden Baron Geddon last night. Any competitive decks use him anymore? Or any other reason to keep him? Otherwise I think I'm gonna turn him into a Prince Kelseth for that warlock deck.

I'm a little hesitant about dusting classic legendaries that will always stay in rotation for ones that will rotate out.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 11-01-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:19 PM

Yeah, I have him in my elemental Frost Lich Jaina deck. Not a great great deck, but reasonably competitive. Definitely not a card you should dust either way.

Of course, I would never dust a legendary that wasn't a duplicate. You just never know. Even Millhouse, often thought of as one of the, if not the worst legendary, has been played in competitive decks lately.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I don't usually dust legendaries (although I do dust the really bad ones), but he's golden which means it's basically a wildcard - I can recraft him into any legendary I want without losing anything (except the golden cosmetic)

Last edited by SenorBeef; 11-01-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

I would absolutely dust a golden Baron, he's not THAT good. He's been in what, wallet warrior back in classic, and fringe in DK Jaina, and that's it. I don't believe he'll ever be good.

That said, I would hold on the dust button until you actually have a legendary you want. If you like tempo decks, consider Keleseth.

Personally, I would just hold it until next expansion. I'm holding on to my extra cards and gold until the next expansion myself. Crafted Lich King and Keleseth this exp, and between the two I'm getting a lot more out of Keleseth. Oh, and DK Valeera. I lucked out by unpacking DK Guldan, but other than those I personally don't want any more KFT cards.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

Ok, so I had a DK Garrosh lying around, and some extra cards to dust, so I decided to craft up the dead man's hand fatigue warrior.

MY God this deck is hard to pilot. You have to craft your deck essentially on the fly - envision what cards you will need at the end of the game to "make your deck" before you DMH, if you spend what you need before you DMH you won't have it when the time comes, and thats a loss. Which cards to burn so that you don't end up with 6 Razors cluttering up your hand (did that a few times), how to navigate through aggro decks, when to Dirty Rat and when to Bring it on...

This deck is way too hard for me.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

New priest card revealed.

Seems too good to me - crushes a few archetypes.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:43 PM

So earlier this month I got sick of WWR (Walking War Robots aka War Robots) and their blatant disregard for player satisfaction, so I re-installed Hearthstone (I uninstalled in April, with the Un'Goro release.) I quickly remembered one of the reasons why I left: fun, interactive decks like Freeze Mage (now replaced with Exodia Mage and Razakus Lyra Priest) and stupidly OP cards dominating the meta. Bonemare and Scalebane wrecked me several times in Arena and in constructed along with the completely retarded Ultimate Infestation, and I wasn't able to create too many of the new meta decks (I dusted enough stuff to do Big Priest, DK Demon Warlock, and what I hoped would be a fun meme deck in Treachery Warlock but mostly ended up being me getting my ass kicked and rarely pulling off the combo.

I watched the card reveal threads on Reddit and just saw the biggest WTF ever: To My Side! for Hunter. It's bad card that becomes mediocre IF YOU DON'T RUN ANY MINIONS IN YOUR DECK. For Hunter. Sure, Yogg hunter was a thing for a while, but part of that was just stalling until you got a game-altering effect. 2 Animal Companions for 6 mana is not game altering. Hell, I wouldn't run that condition to get all three animal companions for 6 mana in Hunter...

Anyhow, I uninstalled it before even looking at my season rewards (I made it to rank 12, yay me.)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:42 AM

One of the new cards coming will solve all the problems of those who don't have big card collections:

Rod of Roasting: Cast Pyroblast randomly until a hero dies.

That's Hearthstone in its purest form.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:09 AM

I think the best contrast to To My Side is Psychic Scream. Priest, the most dominant class in the game, gets an incredibly potent epic that's entirely on-point with what the class wants to do. Hunter, a dumpster tier class, gets a pathetically weak spell that isn't even good in an archetype that doesn't exist yet.

Yikes.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:23 PM

Pack opening day!

Opened 59 packs (all purchased with gold/rewards, no $$ spent), for a total 295 cards.

Of those, 133 (45.1%) were auto-disenchanted for 890 dust. Of the remaining 162 cards, I got:

110 Common (67.9%)
36 Rare (22.2%)
11 Epic (6.8%)
5 Legendary (3.1%) - Rin, the First Disciple, Aluneth (golden!), Grumble, Worldshaker, Geosculptor Yip, and King Togwaggle (wee!)

As always, wishing I got more epics and less duplicates, but in any case I'm excited about trying out some new decks when I get home.

Last edited by Rigamarole; 12-07-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 PM

On the insanely good luck side of things I opened 15 packs today and got 3 legendaries one of which was a Golden. Hopefully at least one of them is worth building a deck around but at first glance, it doesn't look like it.

By the way, has anyone seen a good write up of what the new terms mean?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:24 PM

My free weapon was Runespear. Feels bad, man.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I bought the pre-order, and had enough gold for about 40+ packs.

Pulled the following Legendaries:

(Druid) Twig of the World Tree;
(Hunter) Rhok'delar;
(Rogue) Kingsbane, Sonya;
(Warrior) Woecleaver;
(Neutral) The Darkness.

Not too bad, I was only really looking for Kingsbane and Sonya anyway. I might not even craft the remaining legendaries, we'll see.

The deck I'm actually excited to run now is Jade Rogue (AGAIN!) before it rotates out next expansion, sadly.. Carnivorous Cube is pretty good, and the deathrattle density is getting high enough that Roll the Bones is real card draw. More survivability with Plated Beetle too. For some reason, I didn't draw a single copy of the Rogue secret Evasion. >.>
Old 12-08-2017, 12:09 AM

So I ended up with four legendary weapons - twig (druid), aluneth (mage), dragon soul (priest) - and then the shaman one. My two legendary dudes were both meme/troll guys - the priest legendary time walk guy and the trade your deck guy. I'm trying to talk myself out of spending 4,000 dust to make one-turn-kill exodia elemental shaman.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Is anyone having a problem getting new quests? I hadn't logged in for 2-3 days before the expansion and had zero quests in my queue until I got the expansion quest the next day. Now another midnight has gone by and still no new quest - just the expansion one.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:59 PM

BTW, random PSA: if you have the "Watch and Learn" quest, you get credit if you watch someone beat a dungeon boss.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
I think the best contrast to To My Side is Psychic Scream. Priest, the most dominant class in the game, gets an incredibly potent epic that's entirely on-point with what the class wants to do. Hunter, a dumpster tier class, gets a pathetically weak spell that isn't even good in an archetype that doesn't exist yet.

Yikes.
I'm getting wrecked by no minion hunters. Granted my deck isn't top tier and it's not because of To My Side, but that deck is legit. They get plenty of minions from spells and secrets. And they do it with incredible value. I think I'm pulling an 0-5 since hte expansion against them.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

No minion Hunter is currently tier 1. I’ll be honest I didn’t expect that.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Is anyone having a problem getting new quests? I hadn't logged in for 2-3 days before the expansion and had zero quests in my queue until I got the expansion quest the next day. Now another midnight has gone by and still no new quest - just the expansion one.
Logging out and relogging fixes this.

I'm actually liking the dungeon runs more than I thought I would. The deck building/deck bonus aspect with the randomized bosses keeps it interesting.

Is this expansion a big nerf to weapons-based classes? If all classes will be running those legendary weapons, then all sorts of weapon destroying minions will be in play. They even created a new swamp ooze minion. So it seems like the classes that rely on weapons as part of their normal gameplay will be disproportionately hurt.

Is it worth crafting Harrison Jones now because of the increased weapons play?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:05 PM

I wouldn't craft him. If you have two oozes that should be enough for you to draw at least one before they draw their weapon.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:21 PM

So here's two cards nobody should sleep on: Call To Arms and Corridor Creeper. Both totally cheat the curve and are obscenely good - the former in literally any paladin deck, the latter in any deck that wants to fight for the board. a sub-4-mana 5/5 is kind of completely insane. Murloc Paladin is looking pretty darn good.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I actually haven't seen any oozes or harrisons.

I actually haven't seen many legendary weapons at all. Might be the rank I'm at though, currently around 12.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:55 PM

Yeah, the weapons are slow and some have significant downsides. Take the Mage one, for example. Draw 3 extra cards is great for about two turns until you start milling a bunch of cards on the way to being fatigued.

Changes I've noticed have been fairly subtle except for the notable arrival of secret/no minion hunter. For me, as a priest, Dustbreaker has been the only new card I've played in my deck. It's definitely a great card, but it's been a lot less powerful then I expected. A lot of that has been that there seems to be a lot less aggro decks out there. But it's also clearly a situational card. You need to have the dragon to trigger it and it hits your side of the board as well.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
So here's two cards nobody should sleep on: Call To Arms and Corridor Creeper. Both totally cheat the curve and are obscenely good - the former in literally any paladin deck, the latter in any deck that wants to fight for the board. a sub-4-mana 5/5 is kind of completely insane. Murloc Paladin is looking pretty darn good.
Can confirm that Corridor Creeper is stupid. Just had two of those played against me for 0 Mana on turn 6.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:18 AM

Honestly I feel like I should just craft a second Corridor Creeper and put it in literally every deck. Seriously, in this meta, you're either fighting for the board or killing your opponent's board or losing badly. The only decks I wouldn't toss it in would be the Big decks, which want to rely on very specific recruits, and no-minion hunter (obviously) - in everything else, from Control Warlock to Tempo Rogue to Murloc Paladin to Midrange Hunter to Control Mage, this seems completely batty.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turble View Post
One of the new cards coming will solve all the problems of those who don't have big card collections:

Rod of Roasting: Cast Pyroblast randomly until a hero dies.

That's Hearthstone in its purest form.
Looks like this is only available in Dungeon Run....it's not a "real" card you can play in a match.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:30 PM

Mage has a similarly broken card in Kabal Crystal Runner. With their new secret this card, at worst, is going to be a 5/5 2 mana. In most cases it comes out for free.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:47 PM

I don't think people quite get how broken Hunter can be. The restriction on their weapon is no minions in your deck. It is not, never had minions in your deck. So you can do things like have Barnes and Y'Shaarj in your deck. That's pretty close to an auto win if you draw Barnes before turn 4 with little downside.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
BTW, random PSA: if you have the "Watch and Learn" quest, you get credit if you watch someone beat a dungeon boss.
We've always done Watch and Learn by having one of us beat the innkeeper on easy.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
Looks like this is only available in Dungeon Run....it's not a "real" card you can play in a match.
I was hoping it would be a Tavern Brawl card. Just go straight to coin-flip-for-pack.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treis View Post
Mage has a similarly broken card in Kabal Crystal Runner. With their new secret this card, at worst, is going to be a 5/5 2 mana. In most cases it comes out for free.
Oh yeah, and it's no surprise that tempo secret mage is really good right now. This is that without the restrictions of being in mage and needing secrets.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Honestly I feel like I should just craft a second Corridor Creeper and put it in literally every deck. Seriously, in this meta, you're either fighting for the board or killing your opponent's board or losing badly. The only decks I wouldn't toss it in would be the Big decks, which want to rely on very specific recruits, and no-minion hunter (obviously) - in everything else, from Control Warlock to Tempo Rogue to Murloc Paladin to Midrange Hunter to Control Mage, this seems completely batty.
I crafted two of them. Results have been good and I'd recommend it.

Honestly, the biggest change I've noticed from this expansion is that my deck has become so much more draw dependent. If I get my Northshire Clerics, Corridor Creepers, DuskBreaker, SecretEaters, Bonemares, etc. in the right order I win. If I don't, I lose. It's taken Hearthstone into a direction where there are extremely powerful cards and devastating counters to them. I'm not sure the result is that much different than just playing Rod of Roasting on turn one.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:42 AM

Reynad thinks that the best archetype for every single class except Priest is pirates, and that Patches needs to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWN-LB85qsA

Which is an interesting take. Feels oversimplistic, but at least a heck of a lot more accurate than Trump giving Corridor Creeper a 1-star rating. It is worth noting that Southsea Captain is effectively 5/5 in stats (if not more thanks to Keleseth) with half of that having charge, making it easily the best 3-drop in the history of hearthstone.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I crafted two of them. Results have been good and I'd recommend it.

Honestly, the biggest change I've noticed from this expansion is that my deck has become so much more draw dependent. If I get my Northshire Clerics, Corridor Creepers, DuskBreaker, SecretEaters, Bonemares, etc. in the right order I win. If I don't, I lose. It's taken Hearthstone into a direction where there are extremely powerful cards and devastating counters to them. I'm not sure the result is that much different than just playing Rod of Roasting on turn one.
Well... this is kind of how card games go, unfortunately. Hasn't it always been the case that if you draw the nuts, you win? At least, for all good decks.

I'd reduce it further. I'd say it's possible to make decks that are a lot more consistent, but the problem is that people don't want to play vanilla stat stick decks, and so the developers have made more and more cards which power spike based on conditions. So when the conditions are fulfilled, you win, and if they aren't, you lose.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
Well... this is kind of how card games go, unfortunately. Hasn't it always been the case that if you draw the nuts, you win? At least, for all good decks.

I'd reduce it further. I'd say it's possible to make decks that are a lot more consistent, but the problem is that people don't want to play vanilla stat stick decks, and so the developers have made more and more cards which power spike based on conditions. So when the conditions are fulfilled, you win, and if they aren't, you lose.
It's not always the case. In a control mirror, even if one player draws well and the other draws poorly, it's entirely possible for player skill to be the primary deciding factor. Wallet Warrior was a great example of this in the past, and Dead Man Warrior is a great example of this today. Nowadays, what control deck isn't running a one-hit kill? In some cases, the variance is downright absurd - the difference between a game where Raza Priest gets Raza on 5 and Anduin on 8 and one where one of those two cards is hidden in the bottom 5 cards is night and day.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Reynad thinks that the best archetype for every single class except Priest is pirates, and that Patches needs to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWN-LB85qsA

Which is an interesting take. Feels oversimplistic, but at least a heck of a lot more accurate than Trump giving Corridor Creeper a 1-star rating. It is worth noting that Southsea Captain is effectively 5/5 in stats (if not more thanks to Keleseth) with half of that having charge, making it easily the best 3-drop in the history of hearthstone.
I think that might have been true last expansion, but with this expansion the power curve increased and the pirate pack stayed the same. I had a Warlock basically hit the perfect curve against me, including a Southsea's Captain and Patches, and I still won. The combination of Duskbreaker and Corridor Creeper is enough to swing basically any straight aggro. Even before the expansion, Tabby Cat -> Crackling Razormaw/Hyena -> Bow -> Houndmaster was more dangerous than Patches. I ran Potion of Madness specifically to counter that start.

Honestly, an aggro deck against Duskbreaker and Corridor Creeper hurts you more than it hurts me. I've had more than a couple turn 4 where Duskbreaker kills enough to make Corridor Creeper free. Playing Southsea's Captain on turn 3. It's just a crazy powerful combination against aggro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat

Sure draw will always be important, but the issue comes when you start having very powerful cards with specific and overwhelming counters. You can't just make a general deck because it will lose to decks using these very powerful mechanics.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
This has revolutionized my deck. Cheap draw minions + Duskbreaker + Corridor Creeper = bonkers. Unless I get a super crap draw, I can expect to have a clear opponent board + Scalebane and a Corridor Creeper on turn 5 or 6 leading into a Bonemare on 7 for the win.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 AM

I have just been getting dicked with Secret Mage. Which is weird, because this is a really good deck and I'm drawing quite well. Is it just that hard to play? It shouldn't be, but it took me a couple hours (and two ranks) to get 5 wins out of it for a quest. What the heck is going on here?
Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

How are you losing? Could be just that the meta at your level is against Secret Mage.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
This has revolutionized my deck. Cheap draw minions + Duskbreaker + Corridor Creeper = bonkers. Unless I get a super crap draw, I can expect to have a clear opponent board + Scalebane and a Corridor Creeper on turn 5 or 6 leading into a Bonemare on 7 for the win.
Thanks for this deck idea. I've been running Jade Druid and consistently making it to 12 for most of the year than last month I barely made 14. This month I couldn't make it to 15. I put together a dragon priest base to go with this combo and I'm blowing up the ranks now with a 7 win streak that just carried me to 15.

I haven't really play priest much since I started playing so it's been interesting getting all of the golden cards. Of course, I don't have any of the right cards but since the deck is doing well I may craft a full dragon priest.
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM

Try the "big spell" dragon priest variant, with Grand Archivist and Spiteful Summoner. It's a tempo deck that eschews things like Potion of Madness and Shadow Word: Death in favor of always getting an 8 or a 10-drop off Spiteful Summoner, and always getting an 8-10-drop of a stolen card off Grand Archivist; it runs exactly Free From Amber and Mind Control as spells.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Gotta say, the dungeon runs have been surprisingly entertaining; lots more replay value than I was expecting.
Old Today, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I'm not a big fan of corridor creeper. There's not really any counter-play. What, don't kill minions? It just ends up being a free 5/5 that gets dumped on you a lot which you couldn't anticipate because it works fine in pretty much all deck archetypes. Not sure what they were trying to address with it.
Old Today, 11:56 AM

The only fairly good counterplay for it that I've seen is sap, which makes it kind of an awkward card.