The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2004, 02:54 PM

The continuing story of Petra, my sick kitty

Over the past two months (since the middle of January), Petra has gotten sick. (See previous thread) Again. And again. She goes on antibiotics, she gets better and acts fine. She goes off, within a few days she is sick again. This last time she was on 3 weeks of antibiotics and got sick within 2 days after going off. I finally bit the bullet, called the vet, and made an appointment for this afternoon. That was on Tuesday. Between Tuesday afternoon and last night, Petra got REALLY sick. Not eating or drinking, wheezing, sneezing, coughing/spitting up mucus and saliva. Really unhappy kitty. She sounded like Darth Vader all night and the things that had helped before, like putting her in the bathroom and running the shower on hot so the steam could clear her pipes, didn't help anymore. I decided she couldn't wait any longer and we took her in to the vet at 7:30 this morning. My boyfriend and I were both really worried that she had Feline AIDS or Feline Leukemia or something that was affecting her immune system. We were really scared.

They did X-rays. They did bloodwork.

Vet calls me at 8:30 (while we were at breakfast) and says the X-ray shows that Petra has a NEEDLE AND THREAD loged in her windpipe (well, in the flesh around her windpipe). She SWALLOWED A NEEDLE AND THREAD two months ago, and has been sick from the secondary infection of having a foreign body in her windpipe for two months.

So he gets the needle and thread out, and tells me that he also thinks she may have a bowel obstruction from more thread that could have traveled further down, and wants to do exploratory surgery to find out what's causing it. I give the go-ahead. He calls me back and says it wasn't thread (yay! no necrotic tissue! nothing unhealthy in her bowel!), but that she had a bunch of scar tissue that had kind of rerouted her bowel, back from when she had whatever accident caused her leg to get mangled (and the ultimate reason why she lost the leg). He fixes that up, so it doesn't cause her problems later, sews her back up, and tells me she is resting comfortably and we can bring her home tomorrow.

Vet visit, 2 months worth of antibiotics: $200
Xrays, bloodwork, surgery, medicine, vet time: probably more than $1000!
Knowing she's finally going to be OK and won't keep getting sick: Priceless.

Good thing I've got a mastercard.