Old 05-13-2004, 03:25 AM

Olives + pimiento = why?

I've done all kinds of searches of the database and Google on this, only to come up with many informative but useless histories of the olive. So.

As I sat here tonight and ate a few very tasty jalapeno-stuffed olives, I started wondering about why they are such a "specialty" food. (Olives stuffed with jalapenos, that is.) How did the pimiento become the de-facto standard stuffing for olives?

Is this simply an Americanism, or does the rest of the world consider pimiento-stuffed olives the standard processed olive?

And how did the lowly pimiento achieve such status? Where would it be without the olive today?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:53 AM

In pimento cheese sandwiches all over the South. Yummy.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot141
Is this simply an Americanism, or does the rest of the world consider pimiento-stuffed olives the standard processed olive?
It's pretty standard in the UK, too. Yummm.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:57 AM

The word pimiento is spanish for pepper, therefore the combination obviously originated in spain. Why do americans thinks that everything is about them?
Old 05-13-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin_005
Why do americans thinks that everything is about them?
Aw, c'mon. Just the fact that pilot is asking whether or not it is an Americanism shows that he's is not making any assumption on the matter and is interested in hearing from those who might be more broadly familiar with the topic.

He has experienced it in American, that's his starting point on the way to an answer, then he asks if it is standards elsewhere.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:08 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
The word pimiento is spanish for pepper, therefore the combination obviously originated in spain. Why do americans thinks that everything is about them?
Or it could have originated in Mexico, Guatamala, Chile, Bolivia, Costa Rica, a myriad other Spanish-speaking countries, or it could have been discovered by a Spanish-speaking Croat, for that matter. I find your automatic condemnation of Americans to be more insulting than the OP was to you. :wally
Old 05-13-2004, 01:58 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Olives stuffed with pimientos (the most popular brands are imported from Spain) are by far the most standard type of stuffed olive here in Panama.

One can get canned green olives stuffed with garlic (my favorite), anchovy, cheese, and other things, but these are of more limited availability.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:23 PM

Olives + pimiento = why?

It is pretty obvious... while garlic and jalapenos stuff an olive well, there is nothing better than a pimiento to unstuff from the olive with the toothpick, nibble on whilst filling the olive with good gin to commence the slurping.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian
In pimento cheese sandwiches all over the South. Yummy.
I've never heard of pimiento cheese. In fact I've never heard of any other uses for pimiento. Was pimiento invented just for olives, and southern sandwiches? Is it used for anything else, ever?

You can't cure stupid. You have to kill it.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:36 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

"Since pimentos are sweet and indigenous to the Mediterranean, it's easy to imagine an innovative farmer or chef way back when thinking they would make the perfect neutralizer to the olive's natural acidity."

Well, I have to admit that most of my pimento consumption is in pimento cheese sammiches. But I have seen them used in soups and stews, and I myself have occasionally put them in dips and things like that.

Pimento Cheese Spread

1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 4 ounce jar diced pimentos, drained well
1/2 cup mayonnaise may need a little more
Dash of cayenne powder optional
1-2 garlic cloves minced optional

Mix all together until well blended. Serve with crackers or use as a sandwich filling.

Source:
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Old 05-14-2004, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
[I
Pimento Cheese Spread

1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 4 ounce jar diced pimentos, drained well
1/2 cup mayonnaise may need a little more
Dash of cayenne powder optional
1-2 garlic cloves minced optional

Mix all together until well blended. Serve with crackers or use as a sandwich filling.

Source:
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

<Hobbes>Now you've got me all hungry. </Hobbes>

RR
Old 05-14-2004, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Feather
I've never heard of pimiento cheese. In fact I've never heard of any other uses for pimiento. Was pimiento invented just for olives, and southern sandwiches? Is it used for anything else, ever?
Let us not forget pimento loaf, that questionable lunchmeat you can find next to the bologna in many supermarkets. It's the bane of schoolchildren's lunches everywhere.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Great logic. How do you figure that just because pimento is a Spanish word that the practice of stuffing them in olives is Spanish in origin?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:06 PM

Well, could it be because green olives stuffed with pimientos are frequently sold in little glass jars with labels bearing the words Spanish Olives?

Just a hunch.
"Unchecked right-wing media power means that in the United States today, no issue can be honestly debated and no election can be fairly decided." -- David Brock, former conservative journalist and "right-wing hitman," author of Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative
Old 05-14-2004, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone.

But aside from speculation (some of it quite reasonable), we don't have a definitive answer yet.

I was hoping to find something cool like "Nero hated peeling olives and didn't like misshapen ones, so the Spaniards supplying the olives took the nearest thing at hand - the lowly pimiento - and stuck them in Nero's olives. The tradition stuck, as pimiento-stuffed olives became associated with wealth and luxury."
Old 05-14-2004, 04:02 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Trajan...not Nero, Trajan.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Okay... dare I ask what the hell, exactly, is a pimento? Yeah, I know -- it's the red thing stuff in an olive. I think it comes in certain jars of Cheeze-Whiz. I know that it's closely related to the Spanish word pimiento, which means pepper and not necessarily chile (which is chile or sometimes we gringos spell it chili even though to me the latter is a stew).

Is a pimento a specific type of pepper that's merely called "pimento"? Or can it be any pepper? Or what?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:17 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

pimiento; pimento A large, red, heart-shaped sweet pepper that measures 3 to 4 inches long and 2 to 3 inches wide. The flesh of the pimiento (the Spanish word for "pepper") is sweet, succulent and more aromatic than that of the red bell pepper... Pimenta dioica

It is a separate species, and quite yummy.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:05 PM

So are both variations on the spelling correct?

Pimento

Pimiento

I've always pronounced it like the first spelling: three syllables: Pim-en-toe

But according to the second spelling (which is the way it's spelled on my high-dollar Safeway Select jar of olives) it would be: Pim-eee-en-toe.

Different spellings for the same thing?

And once again, how in the world did they start getting stuffed in olives?
Old 05-15-2004, 03:02 AM

Pimento-stuffed olives are the only kind one can buy here in India (and yeah, most of the time, the label says spanish olives). Which is great, because I love 'em and can go through a jar in one sitting.

Until my brother brought some garlic-stuffed olives back from Europe. One word - heavenly! Pimento stuffing just doesn't match up to garlic stuffing...
Old 05-15-2004, 03:30 AM

gouda you've hit on the reason why I started this thread!

My revelation was jalapeno-stuffed olives, but I've also enjoyed the garlic-stuffed ones. Oh, yeah.

So, why, oh why are most olives stuffed with pimentos?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:56 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone.

But aside from speculation (some of it quite reasonable), we don't have a definitive answer yet.

I was hoping to find something cool like "Nero hated peeling olives and didn't like misshapen ones, so the Spaniards supplying the olives took the nearest thing at hand - the lowly pimiento - and stuck them in Nero's olives. The tradition stuck, as pimiento-stuffed olives became associated with wealth and luxury."
Pimientos come from a variety of red pepper (a mild form of chile pepper), which is ultimately of New World origin. The combination can't have existed before Columbus' voyages.

Green and red peppers are simply varieties of chili peppers that have been bred to lack most capsaicin, the hot element in chilies.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

OK, somebody asked this on Google Answers, and there is at least some belief that it goes back to the 18th century in the Provence region of France:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=46892

Quote:
As early as the 18th century, producers of Picholine olives in
Aix-en-Provence were stoning their olives and replacing the stone with
capers, anchovies, tuna, and pimiento. This was the beginning of the
tradition of stuffing olives, a popular practice still today.
(quote of a quote)

This doesn't address WHY pimento stuffing became the most common, though.

Gotta try some of them anchovy stuffed ones.
feeling after all one of the great
desiderata of social intercourse
archy
Old 05-15-2004, 05:39 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Check post #10. The stuffings act as a counterbalance to the olive's natural acidity.

I don't think we are ever going to document the "Aha!" moment for stuffed olives, because the Romans were stuffing stuff with stuff since 749BC. Who knows when it first happened. But we now have documentation back to the 18th century at least.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:30 PM

I find this whole stuffing thing strange. It's not easy to find just pitted olives without anything stuffed in them.

Why do people need anything in the olive? I tried a lot of the olives with the pimiento and I haven't sensed any taste to the pimientos themselves but I did sense that the olive taste is very weak, probably because of that.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenfe View Post
I find this whole stuffing thing strange. It's not easy to find just pitted olives without anything stuffed in them.
For one thing they spoil faster than either whole or stuffed olives.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Check post #10. The stuffings act as a counterbalance to the olive's natural acidity.

I don't think we are ever going to document the "Aha!" moment for stuffed olives, because the Romans were stuffing stuff with stuff since 749BC. Who knows when it first happened. But we now have documentation back to the 18th century at least.
OK, this is a response to a Zombie, but:
Olives are not naturally acid.
They are naturally bitter, and its only in the curing and flavoring process that they become acid, and not always then (think: Oil Cured black olives).
Old 06-26-2016, 05:13 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Moved to Cafe Society.

Note that this thread was started in 2004 and is well past it's "Sell by" date.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 06-26-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenfe View Post
You're just in the wrong country, they're available pitted and without stuffing in Spain. They're sold in plastic baggies, in cans, or in large plastic bottles which are generally then resold by weight; they last pretty much indefinitely so long as you don't open the container and keep it in a dark place. The most common stuffing here is anchovies, pimiento is probably the second one.

And Colibri, only by 7 years , the maximum official shelf life for foodstuffs being 5 years by law even if it's not true in practice.

Last edited by Nava; 06-26-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:45 PM

I've long assumed that part of the reason olives are stuffed with pimentos has to do with color. The bright red center provides a pleasing contrast to the dull green of the olive, and there aren't many other foods I can think of that maintain that bright redness when pickled. In fact, the only ones I can think of are also peppers.

Why I wonder are black olives never sold stuffed? I can get green olives stuffed not only with pimentos, but with jalapenos, habaneros, garlic, various cheeses, almonds, and anchovies. I am particularly fond of blue cheese or anchovy ones in my martinis, although the others are nice, too.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:55 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Me, either. Plenty of varied stuffings for green olives; none at all for black olives. I mean, I've stuffed some at home, but AFAIK you don't have any commercial ones. I wonder if it might relate to the fact(?) that black olives are somewhat more fragile than green olives.

AM - the wife prefers habanero-stuffed olives in her martinis.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
They are naturally bitter
This needs emphasized quite a bit. On holiday, an olive grove around the idyllic villa you are staying in? Love olives and looking at those olives in the olive grove? Yeah, don't eat them off the tree even if you are heroically drunk. One of the top three worst things I've ever had in my mouth, and one of the others on that list is baby piss.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:28 PM

I've had habanero-stuffed olives, and yes, I knew what they were stuffed with before I ate them. They lived up to it, believe me.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 PM

Because the shadowy powers that be that make up Big Capsicum say so.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Nothing better than an anchovy-stuffed green olive in a perfectly-made dry martini. The salt-on-salt blast is a fine complement to the last sips of icy gin. Blue cheese stuffing is nearly as good, but not quite. The pimiento, it tastes of nothing. Garlic or habanero would overwhelm the delicious booze.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 06-26-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
......Why I wonder are black olives never sold stuffed?.....
There used to be a cigar bar on Rush Street called Groucho's, and they sold a delicious vodka martini with black olives, stuffed with salmon mouse. Man those were good. I miss that place.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabob View Post
OK, somebody asked this on Google Answers, and there is at least some belief that it goes back to the 18th century in the Provence region of France:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=46892

(quote of a quote)

This doesn't address WHY pimento stuffing became the most common, though.

Gotta try some of them anchovy stuffed ones.
I never thought much about the WHY, but ever since I was a little kid (so let's say for the past 55 years or so), I thought the red-green contrast was pretty.

And now that I DO think about it, I suspect that the aesthetic component might be key.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Nothing better than an anchovy-stuffed green olive in a perfectly-made dry martini. The salt-on-salt blast is a fine complement to the last sips of icy gin. Blue cheese stuffing is nearly as good, but not quite. The pimiento, it tastes of nothing. Garlic or habanero would overwhelm the delicious booze.
If my olive is to be stuffed with anything, it must be something that is made out of food. Anchovies don't qualify.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
You're just in the wrong country, they're available pitted and without stuffing in Spain. They're sold in plastic baggies, in cans, or in large plastic bottles which are generally then resold by weight; they last pretty much indefinitely so long as you don't open the container and keep it in a dark place. The most common stuffing here is anchovies, pimiento is probably the second one.

And Colibri, only by 7 years , the maximum official shelf life for foodstuffs being 5 years by law even if it's not true in practice.
In the UK too, most olives are sold unstuffed but of those that are stuffed it is mainly green and the fillings used are the same as mentioned in this thread.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:11 AM

jalapeno-stuffed olives? Count me in! I have never heard of those but I'd probably like them.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 AM

Now I've got a craving for a pimento cheese sandwich. Had 'em all the time when I was a kid.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:18 AM
Graphite is a great

Using my historic newspaper databases, I first find "pimiento stuffed olives" appearing in the U.S. in 1897. The article says "They also sell a new and delicious preparation of pitted olives, stuffed with sweet Spanish pimientos which they call Pimolas."

I have no idea if they existed prior to this in Europe and were imported to the U.S. at this time.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Now I've got a craving for a pimento cheese sandwich. Had 'em all the time when I was a kid.
Me too. I would especially love a grilled pimento cheese sandwich.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Feather View Post
Whenever I make a tuna casserole or Chicken la King, I always dump in a small jar of pimientos. Deee-licious!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post

Why I wonder are black olives never sold stuffed? I can get green olives stuffed not only with pimentos, but with jalapenos, habaneros, garlic, various cheeses, almonds, and anchovies. I am particularly fond of blue cheese or anchovy ones in my martinis, although the others are nice, too.
Black olives require a different processing, part of which is filling up the can(standard black olives are usually not often offered in clear glass containers) with an iron solution, which helps to preserve the color. Imagine a pimento-stuffed olive bobbing around in the stygian depths of a dark-colored liquid? Not too appetizing, IMO.

Pity the poor pimento, though. Olives used to be stuffed with actual pieces of these mild peppers, nowadays many olives are injected with a pepper paste which simplifies production. Gotta' love technology.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot141 View Post
How did the pimiento become the de-facto standard stuffing for olives?
Well, it used to be the de facto stuffing for watermelon, but pimiento stocks were quickly depleted.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
If my olive is to be stuffed with anything, it must be something that is made out of food. Anchovies don't qualify.
Actually, this plays to my WAG as to why pimento became the default.

It's the lowest common denominator. All the other stuffings would be objectionable to someone, but pimento is pretty much completely neutral.

I don't particularly care for the blue cheese stuffed ones, and I LIKE blue cheese.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Out here in the west, good pimento cheese is hard to come by. WallyWorld had some, but then they switched to an inferior brand.

I grew up on it, too.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:50 AM

I'm a big fan of blue cheese or jalapeno stuffed olives in my martinis. Three of them to be precise. When I was a kid, Dad and I would slice up green olives (with pimento) on toast and cover them liberally with old cheddar, then broil until bubbly as a late night snack. Yum!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:52 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Store-bought pimento cheese?

Get a rope.