The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 08-31-2005, 05:32 PM

I've been known for eating questionable things (I have a love that dare not speak its name for ketchup) but I have to say that the very thought of putting butter on a Pop-Tart frightens me.
Advertisements  
Old 09-01-2005, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
They no longer taste like cardboard.
Then I don't want one! Sugary cardboard reminds me of when I was a kid....

Seriously, though. This thread has me wondering what would happen if you took an unfrosted PopTart, soaked it in french toast dip (batter? egg wash?) and slapped it on the griddle. I give it about 90% chance of falling apart, 5% chance of being too hard and crusty to soak up the egg and 5% chance of being a warm, gooey, jelly containing slice of heaven.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
And...Bassalopes!!!

First time I ever heard of Poptarts was in a Bloom County strip, and as noted, they were buttered. Had to wait about five years before they were sold in the UK and I could find out what they were like.

They were a novelty for a while, but anything that tastes that strongly of chemicals canít be good for you Ė I never had any urge to butter them.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotNot
... anything that tastes that strongly of chemicals canít be good for you ...
What? Next thing you'll be telling me you don't like McDonald's shakes, either!!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbuckeye
Seriously, though. This thread has me wondering what would happen if you took an unfrosted PopTart, soaked it in french toast dip (batter? egg wash?) and slapped it on the griddle. I give it about 90% chance of falling apart, 5% chance of being too hard and crusty to soak up the egg and 5% chance of being a warm, gooey, jelly containing slice of heaven.
For the sake of the board fighting ignorance, and for the sake of that 5% chance, there's only one way to find out.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:32 AM

I just did an informal poll in the office, and only one person has put anything on a Pop-Tart: cream cheese on a cold strawberry P-T.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:48 AM

Peanut butter on smores poptarts. Yum. I don't eat such things anymore, but damn that sounds tasty right now.

Butter just doesn't sound good. I skip butter on most things, though. I had a friend who would butter hot toasted bagels and then put cream cheese on top. Made it to slippery for me.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbuckeye
I'm guessing the odds are more like 50% falling apart, 49% being too hard to soak it up, and 1% being a little slice of heaven.
Anyone willing to try it?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
For the sake of the board fighting ignorance, and for the sake of that 5% chance, there's only one way to find out.
This has been on my mind all day. I think I might have to give it a go. I've been needing a new non-stick skillet anyway, so if it goes awry, its an excuse to shop. But, I am having company this weekend, so I might put it off a few days.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:56 PM
BANNED

Well, at first blush I thought this was a totally sick and unappealing idea.

Then earlier today at the grocery store, I just happened to find myself in the PopTart aisle.

They're actually quite good with butter on them.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:22 AM

Come over to the Dark Side, Feydeau. There's butter here.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:49 PM

!!! It works !!!

How to make french PopTarts:
Heat non-stick skillet over medium-high heat
Combine 1 egg and 1/4 cup milk, place in PopTart shaped dish.
Open PopTarts, I used unfrosted Strawberry and was informed by the box I was not a winner.
Place PopTart in egg mixture, hold under surface for approx. 30 seconds.
Place PopTart into hot skillet and cook approx. 45-60 seconds per side.
Eat.

It tasted like PopTarts, but richer and more complex. The texture was much improved. The PopTart was moist and chewy, instead of dry and crumbly, the appearance was a glossy yellow with golden brown toasty spots. And, best of all, the inside was actually gooey and flowable! It reminded me somewhat of a rhubarb-strawberry custard pie without so much rhubarb in it. I didn't try any toppings, so butter at your discretion.

Warnings: My first PopTart stuck a bit, I was using medium heat and a shorter soaking time, and the pastry stuck to the pan. This is why I recommended the longer soak and higher heat. Also, my first one wasn't very well-done. Undercooked egg can be dangerous, so that's when I lengthened the cooking time. Also, the filling gets hot, so handle and eat with care.

MMMmmmmmmmmm new way to eat PopTarts!
Old 09-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiblioCat
Come over to the Dark Side, Feydeau. There's butter here.
And cookies, which Obi Wan didn't give to you.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:16 AM

This reminds me of Homer Simpson telling Bart to "Butter your bacon!"

I have never put butter on a Pop-Tart. But I've been eating them untoasted now for longer than I can remember. So I probably wouldn't come around to the idea of buttering one.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:38 AM

Just the other day while TonyF and I were walking through Safeway, he asked me if I wanted to buy unfrosted Poptarts so we could butter them. I could not tell you how long I was for. Was he serious!? Apparently he was, and was pretty shocked of how much of a 'heathen' I was for not at least trying the buttered Poptarts.

I blame my Asian culture. Butter is considered evil in my community since you know, we don't need yummy butter to make our food unhealthy like 'how those Americans do it' I like tasty desserts from both cultures, but I don't know, butter on a Poptart? Seems a bit of overkill to me. Like butter on pancakes. I was taught that maple syrup on a pancake was already a heartattack waiting to happen. Maybe it's just in the community I grew up in?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchan
Like butter on pancakes. I was taught that maple syrup on a pancake was already a heartattack waiting to happen. Maybe it's just in the community I grew up in?
My husband puts butter and jelly on his pancakes, rather than syrup. Just FYI.