The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-09-2006, 11:19 PM

Is There Any Reason I Couldn't Open A Restaurant That Serves Human Meat?

I suspect that there are plenty of people out there who are curious about what it would be like to eat another person's flesh. I also believe that many of these individuals would be willing to pay exorbitant prices for the opportunity to do so.

Furthermore, I think that there are many people who would like to be consumed- perhaps not killed in order to be consumed, but have their remains eaten by others upon their demise. Plus, there's the whole recycling thing.

Would there be anything illegal about someone rounding up volunteers who, upon death, would be willing to donate their bodies for the purpose of being cooked and served to others as food? Would it be feasible??

I know it isn't safe to serve human brains, but would the rest safe to eat, assuming that it has been properly prepared?

Thanks.
Advertisements  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:26 PM
BANNED

AFAIK every state in the union has laws on the books on legal methods of disposing of human remains. Serving them on a bed of wild greens with a choice of rice or potato is not among them.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

You'd probably be in breach of legislation relating to the disposal of corpses.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 PM

Could Surreal start up a cruise ship line, and serve us these delicacies out in international waters? I imagine pirate meat would be a bit tough though.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:55 PM

Could Surreal culture human tissue in vats and serve that instead of getting his tissue from ex-humans?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:06 AM

It wouldn't be necessary to serve corpse meat if you could find volunteers willing to give up an arm or a leg.

I once read about people who have an over-powering desire to have have pieces of themselves amputated. There's a proper scientific / medical name for the condition but I can't find any info on it now.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey
Could Surreal start up a cruise ship line, and serve us these delicacies out in international waters? I imagine pirate meat would be a bit tough though.
Just like the sexual exploitation of children off-shore, I recon the various countries' legislatures would be tripping over themselves to pass extra-territorial legislation so fast that the cops would be waiting at the pier when the very first boatload of customers returned. You'd be in jail before the ink was dry.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:29 AM

There was, what I assume to have been an urban legend, about a restuarant somewhere in the far east that served "long pig". This was circulating in the 40's and 50's, but I haven't heard about it in years.
It was supposed to be very exclusive, by invitation only, and very, very, expensive.
I even have a recollection of reading a reference to it in a novel, although I can't remember the name of the book.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:16 AM

I am not coming to your house restaurant to have be dinner!

CMC fnord!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:16 AM

Would it be any different if you opened a restaurant where people could, after signing various waivers, consume their own flesh?

mm
Old 04-10-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imasquare
I once read about people who have an over-powering desire to have have pieces of themselves amputated. There's a proper scientific / medical name for the condition but I can't find any info on it now.
Apotemnophilia, or Body Integrity Identity Disorder. There was a story on "Untold Stories of the ER" where a guy came in who had amputated his own hand. He kept insisting that they just fix the stump and that he would just cut it off again if they didn't. They had an ethics committee meeting and decided that abiding by the man's wishes was the way to go, as much as it was hard for them not to try to reattach the hand.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:49 AM

I'm not sure about the legality of it, but you can bet you'll get a lot of bad publicity from Charleton Heston...

(Look, somebody had to, okay?)
Old 04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Forget the "disposal of a corpse" nonsense. I believe the USDA or the FDA would come down on you like a ton of Brickers.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:11 PM

If somehow it turned out to be legal, you can bet they'd ramrod legislation through to make it illegal, at either the state or federal level (or both), before opening day.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
AFAIK every state in the union has laws on the books on legal methods of disposing of human remains. Serving them on a bed of wild greens with a choice of rice or potato is not among them.
Come on... everyone knows you sever human flesh with fava beans on the side, with a nice chianti to wash it down!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace
Come on... everyone knows you sever human flesh with fava beans on the side, with a nice chianti to wash it down!
Not so. Not human flesh. Dr Lecter only refers to having eaten the guy's liver.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace
Nice.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:23 PM

Perhaps you could serve some HUFU instead. Either that or some Spam.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
Apotemnophilia, or Body Integrity Identity Disorder. There was a story on "Untold Stories of the ER" where a guy came in who had amputated his own hand. He kept insisting that they just fix the stump and that he would just cut it off again if they didn't. They had an ethics committee meeting and decided that abiding by the man's wishes was the way to go, as much as it was hard for them not to try to reattach the hand.
Did he get DORRANCE #5X STAINLESS STEEL HOOKS?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal
I suspect that there are plenty of people out there who are curious about what it would be like to eat another person's flesh. I also believe that many of these individuals would be willing to pay exorbitant prices for the opportunity to do so.
I don't understand why. Everyone knows human flesh tastes like chicken.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:18 PM

"Waiter, what is your Catch Of The Day?"

"Sir, I believe he was Italian."
Old 04-10-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by gigi

Originally Posted by Terminus Est
Did he get DORRANCE #5X STAINLESS STEEL HOOKS?

No, a weed whacker. (Tip o' the hat to Carl Hiaasen)
Old 04-10-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou
I don't understand why. Everyone knows human flesh tastes like chicken.
I thought it was supposed to taste like pork. So I guess that would make it "The Other, Other White Meat."
Old 04-10-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
"Waiter, what is your Catch Of The Day?"

"Sir, I believe he was Italian."

"Waiter, what is your soup of the day?"

"Well, Ma'am, we're calling it 'minnie strone.'"
Old 04-10-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Cane
There was, what I assume to have been an urban legend, about a restuarant somewhere in the far east that served "long pig". This was circulating in the 40's and 50's, but I haven't heard about it in years.
It was supposed to be very exclusive, by invitation only, and very, very, expensive.
I even have a recollection of reading a reference to it in a novel, although I can't remember the name of the book.
May have originated from this:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_229.html
Old 04-11-2006, 02:10 AM
BANNED

Cannibalism is an unwise evolutionary choice.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:24 AM

Some donate their bodies to science. I'd rather donate it to cuisine.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey
You'd probably have to roast the pirate meat and sell it at Arrrrrrrrrby's.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew
Why?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem
You'd probably have to roast the pirate meat and sell it at Arrrrrrrrrby's.

<snorf>

Personally, I think being able to donate my body to the stew pot is an excellent choice!

Until then, maybe I will start a Human Ranch and do a study on Perservative-free range 'cattle' ( organics and the like) vs the fast food seditary life style. I bet I could get this half subsidized by McDonalds.

I need a catchy name for my place and product, though.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:09 AM

Here's the opening day menu:

Salad: Seize her!
Entree: Chuck roast au Jew
Sides: A spear O'Gus and Buttered nut, squashed
Dessert: Baked Alaskan
Beverage choices: Bloody Mary, blended White Russian, Adam's apple juice, or iced pee.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:15 AM

"Excuse me... what kind of food do you serve here?"

"Well, today it's French."

"Oh, we really were hoping for some Mexican."

"He's on a resuscitator. Try back tomorrow."
Old 04-11-2006, 08:18 AM

Would this restaurant serve...ahhh...human veal?

Howzabout Placenta Stew?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace
Quote:
Why?
Cutting out a lot of biological complexity: because the body has trouble processing proteins that are too similar to its own, and the proteins wind up "misfolding". Strange, but true. The difficulty of processing too-similar proteins has led to the present problem of BSE, or "mad cow disease" (although I prefer calling it "bovine spongiform encephalopathy", because it's so darn fun to say "spongiform").
Old 04-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson

Beverage choices: Bloody Mary, blended White Russian, Adam's apple juice, or iced pee.
Soup: Irish Stew
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque
<Why is cannibalism an unwise evolutionary choice>
Cutting out a lot of biological complexity: because the body has trouble processing proteins that are too similar to its own, and the proteins wind up "misfolding". Strange, but true. The difficulty of processing too-similar proteins has led to the present problem of BSE, or "mad cow disease" (although I prefer calling it "bovine spongiform encephalopathy", because it's so darn fun to say "spongiform").
I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense; virtually every protein in a cow is also present in humans, and vice versa. It's possible there would be issues with parasites and diseases being better transmitted by cannibalism, especially with larger more complex animals.

However, putting aside the problems with implied intelligence in using words like 'wise evolutionary choice', cannibalism is not an adaptive strategy in the long term because an individual would almost always be better off just skipping a link in the food chain and eating the food that the cannibalism prey would have eaten.

Which isn't to say that occasional cannibalism isn't adaptive (and is common among insects, for instance), just that the most adaptive strategy is to kill and eat your rivals, then spend the rest of the time eating their food.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson

Let's not forget the Polish sausage!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
(although I prefer calling it "bovine spongiform encephalopathy", because it's so darn fun to say "spongiform").
It makes a great adjective, too.

"Are you out of your spongiformed mind?!"
Old 04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I'll just have a Danish.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest
Howzabout Placenta Stew?
Whatever you do, avoid the caviar.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:57 AM

Slight highjack. For anyone curious about "taste cannibalism" I recommend the book "Stiff" . The author looks into the various ways dead human bodies are disposed of and/or used. There is a chapter where she investigates a story about a crematory employee in China who took human flesh, made food from it, and then sold it.

The whole book is great, but you guys may get a lot out of the cannibalism chapter.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamboman
Would it be any different if you opened a restaurant where people could, after signing various waivers, consume their own flesh?
I'm pretty sure that this would be an unconscionable contract, at the very least. (At least that was the first thing that popped in my head). So, that would violate the agreement and waivers. If the victim (for lack of a better word) lived, I'm pretty sure aggravated battery would be a slam dunk charge. I'm not sure what else the cannibal would be charged with, assuming no legislation against consuming human flesh. If the victim died, then it'll probably be voluntary manslaughter. Of course, finally, no thread on cannibalism can be complete without reference to Armin Meiwes. (That dude just looks like a cannibal.)
Old 04-11-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth
Could Surreal culture human tissue in vats and serve that instead of getting his tissue from ex-humans?
Yeah, but it wouldn't be the same as free-range.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Wreck
Yeah, but it wouldn't be the same as free-range.
Actually depending on methodology such a plan could run afoul of human cloning bans.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth
I'm not sure why this is, but I actually find this idea grosser than cannibalism.

Quote:
In his book Good to Eat, Martin Harris, an anthropologist, makes a pretty good argument to explain why cannibalism is a reasonable choice in areas where human diets are extremely poor in protein, though not a good choice elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I forget the specifics (sigh) so I'll just have to recommend you read it . . .
Old 04-11-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibre
I'm not sure why this is, but I actually find this idea grosser than cannibalism.
Great. Now my ideas are grosser than cannibalism.

In other news, I'm taking this line as a sig.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
...the body has trouble processing proteins that are too similar to its own, and the proteins wind up "misfolding".
Is there any evidence to support this claim? Why would proteins similar to our own be more resistant to hydrochloric acid or trypsin? How could they be?

Quote:
The difficulty of processing too-similar proteins has led to the present problem of BSE, or "mad cow disease"....
Once again, is there any evidence at all to suport such a claim?

Isn't BSE simply a prion disease? And hasn't that prion jumped species at least twice, ie from scrapie in sheep to BSE in cattle to VCJD in humans. And if it has jumped species two times doesn't that priove that the problem has nothing to do with cannibalism or any inability to to process similar proteins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus
...cannibalism is not an adaptive strategy in the long term because an individual would almost always be better off just skipping a link in the food chain and eating the food that the cannibalism prey would have eaten.
It's not that simple.

People can also eat almost any food that pigs. chickens or dogs can eat yet pigs, chickens and to a lesser extent dogs have a long history of domestication as food animals. The reason for that is that animals represent a protein and fat store. Because they can forage (or farm) independently of the person eating them they can concentrate energy from a wide area into a very protein and energy dense package. For example a person could eat truffles and acorns themselves but they would never gain much weight on such a diet. In contrast a herd of piglets can be set out to forage in an oak forest and they can then be slaughtered when they reach maturity.

People can be used in exactly the same manner, and occasionally have been. By putting a person to work foraging or farming you can get them to be self sufficient and grow indefinitely and then slaughter them after they have concentrated all that energy and protein in one dense package which you could never have done yourself.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

and the thought the Naked lady was only decoration
Old 04-11-2006, 08:40 PM

Any one else having a flashback to a "Twilight Zone" episode? Something about a club for gourmets, having a dish avalable only after one of the members had died?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
It's not that simple.

People can also eat almost any food that pigs. chickens or dogs can eat yet pigs, chickens and to a lesser extent dogs have a long history of domestication as food animals. The reason for that is that animals represent a protein and fat store. Because they can forage (or farm) independently of the person eating them they can concentrate energy from a wide area into a very protein and energy dense package. For example a person could eat truffles and acorns themselves but they would never gain much weight on such a diet. In contrast a herd of piglets can be set out to forage in an oak forest and they can then be slaughtered when they reach maturity.

People can be used in exactly the same manner, and occasionally have been. By putting a person to work foraging or farming you can get them to be self sufficient and grow indefinitely and then slaughter them after they have concentrated all that energy and protein in one dense package which you could never have done yourself.
The fact that pigs largely rely on sources of food that are edible to humans has been advanced (again in Good to Eat) as a reason behind Muslim and Jewish strictures on eating pork; it's inefficient when food is fairly scarce and grazing animals could be used instead as a source of protein.

On the other hand, aren't acorns at very least pretty much unpalatable to humans?