Old 08-29-2003, 04:11 PM

Cool things that happen after the film's credits, like in Pirates of the Carribean

Just saw "Pirates of the Carribean". What a great character Johnny Depp created in Captain Jack Sparrow! I don't even want to know how, near the beginning of the film, when he is in handcuffs and slids down a rope from the top of a mast to the ground, he gets ON the rope then OFF the rope. Think about it. It's just the kind of thing he can do, I guess.

But that's not why I've called you here. I'm the kind of movie guy who always sits through the film's closing credits. Heck, at the showing of "Pirates..." I attended, half the audience was out the door before we even saw Captain Jack return to the Black Pearl. So I may be the only one around who knows that after the credits end...

Spoiler Space.

I don't know how to do the box.

...the monkey removes a coin from the chest and UNDOES the result of all the activity in the movie. Setting up the sequel, no doubt. Pretty cool.

But that's not why I've called you here. I've noticed a lot of these extra scenes, post-credits, in recent years. There's a pretty funny one at the end of "Finding Nemo" depicting the revenge of the little nervous fish. I've always thought of these extra scenes as kind of a reward to the audience members who stayed and watched the names of all the people who worked to make the film. You find out interesting things by doing so. Like that the Crying Boy seen sitting on the ground and then scooped up by his mom during the first pirate attack in "PotC" is played by TWO kids. He's only in one shot! Go figure.

Am I the only one who knows about these extras? I'll bet you can name more great post-credit movie scenes. If not, it'll be a short thread.
Advertisements  
Old 08-29-2003, 04:40 PM

Two that come immediately to mind are:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
SPOILER:
A zoom-in on a new book by Gilderoy Lockhart in a store window, called "Who Am I?" and the moving image of Lockhart in a straightjacket

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
When Ferris comes out of his room, looks at the camera and says, "You're still here? It's over! Go home!"

(didn't do a spoiler on the latter, since it's been around for a long time)
Old 08-29-2003, 05:38 PM

Wild Things.

The plot twists are explained, and it sort of made sense.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:01 PM

not exactly the same but in Hot Shots (or so i think) there are fun lines even in the credits, you've go grip boy number 1,etc and then a recipe , and then a joke,...

also in Wayne's world:
gary and wayne asking people if they liked the movie
and then waiting for someone to tell them to leave until a fade to black
Old 08-29-2003, 08:25 PM

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

SPOILER:

At the beginning of the movie, Steve Martin is at a meeting where the head honcho is trying to choose between three ad posters for the product. He cannot make up his mind and dismisses the meeting.

After the credits, you see the head honcho still looking at each picture in turn, from different angles and the like.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:36 PM

The very end of Being There has some terrific outtakes, with Sellers blowing his lines fabulously.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:40 PM

Re: Cool things that happen after the film's credits, like in Pirates of the Carribean

Quote:
Originally posted by randwill
Just saw "Pirates of the Carribean". What a great character Johnny Depp created in Captain Jack Sparrow! I don't even want to know how, near the beginning of the film, when he is in handcuffs and slids down a rope from the top of a mast to the ground, he gets ON the rope then OFF the rope. Think about it. It's just the kind of thing he can do, I guess.

I only saw the movie once, (I didn't stay for the credits, thanks for the tip), but as far as I remember,

SPOILER:
Jack held his wrists together, flipped the doubled chain over the rope, and then held on to the chain so he could slide down.
Sorry if that sounded awkward, that's the only way I can think to describe it.

(Spoilered because randwill doesn't want to know how he did it )

I remember sitting in the theater after Matrix Reloaded to see the trailer for Revolutions. I'm not sure if that's the same kind of thing, though.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:49 PM

DAMN! After I saw it and everything, it didn't even occur to me what would happen as a result of the monkey's actions! I just thought it was a funny little scare moment for the audience, but you're right, he kind of undid everything!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:54 PM

Yes, fessie, I forgot about that! That was so very entertaining. I believe because Peter Sellers is on the screen almost 100% of the time, and you are so used to the Chauncy (sp?) character, and he is so wonderful in the role, that when you suddenly see him break character, it's like, whoa! - yeah that's right, he's Peter Sellers, not Chauncy Gardner! What a great actor in one of his finest hours.

Though not strictly a post credit scene, I'm reminded of a funny bit at the end of "Animal House". Back when it was released, Universal Pictures always had a little title card that appeared after the credits of their films. It said, "When in southern California, visit Universal Studios". It was an ad for their studio tour. At the end of "Animal House" the fate of each of the main characters is described in a freeze frame and caption. The Babs character is said to have become: "A tour guide at Universal Studios". Sure enough after the credits have rolled, the "When in southern California.." ad appears, only this time at the bottom of the screen "Ask for Babs" is added. Ha!
Old 08-29-2003, 10:17 PM

Big Bad Voodoo Lou - notice that when the monkey takes the coin out HE changes back into a ghost. So it only follows...

thi6 - Maybe I'm confused about what you call a "doubled chain". I remember that he only had wrist cuffs connected by a single chain. If so, try it with a piece of string tied to each of your wrists. Now try to get *onto* a rope tied to a mast, and slide down it. Well, okay, maybe not, but it would be impossible. Maybe there was excess chain hanging from one of his wrist cuffs. Now that would do it. I'll wait to see on the DVD, unless another Doper who hasn't been to see it yet wants to go and help us out.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

The best one was in Airplane! when they show the guy still waiting in the taxi.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

randwill, let me try some bad ascii art (the "O"'s represent hands).

Hold your wrists together. There's a length of chain hanging down from between your wrists (it will be doubled).

Code:
   O  O
   |  |
   |  |
   |  |
   \ /
    U

Flip this over the rope.

Code:
           /
    ______/
   /  ____ \
  /  /  / \ \
  O O  /   | |
      /    | |
     /      U

and grab it with your hands.

Code:
           /
      ____/_
     / ____ \
     \ \/  \ \
      \/\   | |
      /\ \ / /
     /  \ \ /
         O O
Slide down rope.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:53 PM

According to Roger Ebert, such scenes are called "Monk scenes," in reference to the monk-like patience of the audience members who sit through the credits to see them.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:19 AM
BANNED

At the end of Young Sherlock Holmes, Holmes and Watson have defeated the main bad guy (Rathe) and he's apparently dead. As the credits roll, the camera follows a carriage traveling along a path through the woods--for a long, long time. The carriage arrives at an inn, and Rathe, still alive gets out. He registers for a room and we see his new pseudonym: Moriarity.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:59 AM

What a coincidence! I just recently started a page on my movie website called "Stay for the Credits, Dammin!" This thread is giving me lots of fodder. Thanks, gang!

Check it out at http://tnmc.homestead.com/stayforcredits.html
Old 08-30-2003, 01:05 AM

Nobody has mentioned "28 Days Later" yet, where the pre-credits ending is an inexplicably happy and upbeat conclusions. But after the credits, you get the much truer to form gloomy and doomy ending that was no doubt originally intended by the director.....Timmy
Old 08-30-2003, 01:08 AM

MLS- FWIW that guy is/was Howard Jarvis- co-author of Calif's Proposition 13 from 1978- froze property taxes basically.

Rush Hour I & II had funny out takes & Diner had a conversation over the credits.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:01 AM

Masters of the Universe had a brief appearance by Skeletor at the end ("I'll be back!").

The Fast and the Furious had a scene with Vin Dissel, recapping his character's philosophy on life.

Masters' was better...come to think of it, the whole movie was better than "Furious."
Old 08-30-2003, 02:51 AM

The end of Auston Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me shows the cliff that one guy fell off of - he's still down there, begging for help.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:00 AM

Ghost World

Steve Buscemi's character Seymour in an alternate take of the altercation in the quickie mart. This time he beats Doug up easily, trashes the place and spouts off dialogue of 'Mr. Pink' (his character in Reservoir Dogs).
Old 08-30-2003, 03:09 AM

I just want to nitpick about the post-credits scene in PotC:

SPOILER:
I don't think the monkey undid everything. That was my first thought as well, but then I thought about it, and it doesn't make sense. All of the pirates have returned the gold and all of them have paid the bloodprice (including Jack, if you look closely). Once all the money has been returned, all of the original trespassers are in the clear. The curse has been 'reset' so to speak (I think "lifted" is the technical term). Of course, it's entirely possible that the filmmakers are going to use this for the sequel and [I]were[I] trying to imply that everything was undone when the monkey took the gold. Then again, this would mean that Jack will be undead from the start of the next movie, and I'm not sure if that would make such a great premise.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:24 AM

The coolest part about SW Ep.1 was the very last thing heard. A certain breathing apperatus, breathing.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:39 AM

During the credits for "Any Given Sunday,
SPOILER:
we see a retirement/award ceremony for Al Pacino's character as he retires from coaching the Miami Sharks football team. At the end, he gets up to give a brief acceptance speech. He reminisces about his career with the Sharks, talks about hanging it up, and then...he announces that he has accepted the head coach position for a new expansion team and that he is taking the Shark's surprise success rookie quarterback with him as a franchise player. Nice little FU to the owner of the Sharks.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranchoth
According to Roger Ebert, such scenes are called "Monk scenes," in reference to the monk-like patience of the audience members who sit through the credits to see them.
I've also heard Ebert refer to these as "credit cookies."
Old 08-30-2003, 11:04 AM

Yookero (re. chain escape topology) - Okay. That works!

The scene were Jack is trying to use the blacksmith's hammer to break the chain left me with the impression that there wasn't THAT much chain between the wrist cuffs. But now that I've slept on it, I remember that he seems to have plenty when he is briefly holding the girl hostage, so yeah, that works.

On topic, after the credits end for "Fried Green Tomatoes" you hear the whistle of the train that stops at the girl's cafe.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:53 AM

BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM has

SPOILER:
All sort of stuff over the end credits, including outtakes, bloopers, old English/Punjabi ladies dancing, etc. It's very cute.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:12 PM

minor spoiler (

Aliens. One evening while watching it, I was drawing or something where I didn't pay attention to the movie till I noticed the credit music had ended. When I looked up, I heard a face hugger egg opening up. So, for all you people out there that detest Alien 3, you have Cameron to blame for the set-up.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:54 PM

Time Bandits

We see the Polaroid of The Map.

I've used the time portals many times myself. (I took a Polaroid of the screen)
Old 08-30-2003, 09:26 PM

Regarding the ending of PotC...

SPOILER:
I don't think the monkey undid anything. The curse was on anyone who took the coins. Since the pirates and Jack had all taken coins, they were cursed until they paid the blood price. At the end of the movie, the monkey would've been the only one cursed because he stole from the chest after the curse had been lifted from everyone else.

At least that's the way I interpret it.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:03 AM

Daredevil had
SPOILER:
Bullseye lying in a hospital bed bandaged from head to toe. A fly is buzzing around annoying him, and he grasps a syringe with his 2 free fingers, flicking the needle to pin the fly to the wall, dead.

Which I thought was cool.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:40 AM

Well, in MST3K: The Movie, they come back into the theater and riff their own credits! It's great! " <Crow, at credits for 'puppet wrangler'> Puppet wrangler? There weren't any puppets in this movie!"
Old 08-31-2003, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Well, lemme think...

Strange Brew. Bob and Doub McKenzie mock the credits as they scroll by. "Oh yeah, this guy here was really good...."

The House On Haunted Hill, the new version.
SPOILER:
After the credits, you see Geoffrey Rush's character being tortured on the operating room table by the mad inmates, shot as though it's an old film reel.

Chicken Run. The two rats have a long discussion about, as I recall, which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Every Jackie Chan movie. To the best of my knowledge, all Jackie Chan movies have outtakes during the credits. Some blown lines, but mostly stunts gone wrong. I was blown away during the credits of Rumble in the Bronx when they showed that Jackie had broken his ankle during one stunt, and he basically just put a sock (painted to look like a shoe) over the cast on his foot and kept going.

And as long as we're mentioning outtakes, we should probably mention the very cool outtakes at the end of A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, and Monsters, Inc..
Old 09-01-2003, 10:51 AM

Both Airplane movies had brief scenes after the credits. The first showed the guy in the taxi from the beginning of the film still sitting in the taxi, looking at his watch and saying "I'll give him another 5 minutes, but that's it!" The second showed an ad for Airplane 3 then showed Shatner saying "No! That's exactly what they'll be expecting us to do!" They also had lots of jokes during the credits themselves.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:34 AM

Standing in the Shadows of Motown : A brief shot of the Funk Brothers leaving their studio and turning off the lights.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I always liked the credit ending of Monster's Inc. I love stuff that shows set mess ups --even animated

/Shadez
Old 09-01-2003, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Torque

Strange Brew. Bob and Doub McKenzie mock the credits as they scroll by. "Oh yeah, this guy here was really good...."[/B]
Oh yeah -- Standard joke between me and S.O. "Gaff for us!" Of course Strange Brew is one of our favorite movies.

And remember this from the very last bit of the credits of Robocop? (Yes, I sit ALL THE WAY THROUGH the credits):

"This motion picture is protected under the laws of the United States and other countries and its unauthorized duplication, distribution or exhibition may result in civil liability and criminal prosecution by enforcement droids." (emphasis added)

(I remembered seeing this not, but I had to look up the exact verbiage on imdb.com)

I always liked the credit in the remake of The Blob for "Blob Wranglers."

Old 09-01-2003, 11:51 AM

Archergal, you just reminded me.... Similar thing in the end of the credits for "Phantasm" (or maybe it was one of the sequels?): "...may result in criminal and civil prosecution, AND THE WRATH OF THE TALL MAN!" Very subtle....Timmy