Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 AM

Threat Level : Midnight (The Office 3-17)

Wow. For me, the first really great episode in a couple of seasons...

Joe
Old 02-18-2011, 01:59 AM

Brillant. I especially loved that Michael was able to convince Helen to appear in the movie in a sexy nurse outfit. And Pam's reaction. And Jim in goldface paint. I'm actually quite suprised at how good the continuity was in the film. I expected things like the water level of drinks or hairstyles to change back & forth during the scene. I have to watch it again; there might be a bunch of stuff I didn't notice.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I don't understand how all these people from different stages of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton history could all have appeared in this movie.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
I don't understand how all these people from different stages of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton history could all have appeared in this movie.
Michael talked about how long it took to make. Something like "Two years to write, two years to reshoot, four years to reshoot..."
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 AM

"You should show this at festivals!"
"...or carnivals!"

There are probably a million holes to be poked in his movie and how he could possibly have made it, but as a sendoff to the brain of Michael Scott it was perfect.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

I agree, it was brilliant.

"Oh yeah, I guess I did let him be a robot."
Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Going to re-watch it... Roy and David Wallace were supposed to be in it.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 02-18-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Roy was in it. He was one of the hostages. I don't recall seeing David Wallace.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that may be the case. Now I'm watching in HD.

I Saw Carole...

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 02-18-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Roy was in it. He was one of the hostages. I don't recall seeing David Wallace.
Was the kid in the bar Wallece's son, (who played the drums in the 'Suck It' episode?).

Also, Ryan's friend from NY was in it... the one Dwight thought was a Hobbit.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 02-18-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM

That man was a wanted animal rapist.

Joe
Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Four deleted scenes on NBC.com

More Roy.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I've always wanted to know how to Do The Scarn.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I just noticed (in the cast bios) that the name of Ryan's dimunitive friend is "Troy L. Underbridge." Ha! Troll under bridge!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
I just noticed (in the cast bios) that the name of Ryan's dimunitive friend is "Troy L. Underbridge." Ha! Troll under bridge!
Haha. Nice catch!

I enjoyed it, (a lot), but it's still didn't seem authentic. I very much liked that Michael was able to admit to Holly that the movie wasn't very good; But, for a 'home movie', it was almost too good for Michael Scott. Getting everyone to participate is just beyond believability, but seeing everyone from the past was epic.

I'm, (once again), conflicted about this show. I think I'll just let myself enjoy this episode, and not worry about all the other stuff.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 02-18-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:47 PM

I loved how, even though Michael is emotionally immature in many, many ways, he didn't screw things up with Holly.

"You're being a pain in my ass...ok, you aren't really a pain in my ass, I'm just mad and I'm sorry and I love you."

Honestly, a lot of relationships would be better if people were like that.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 PM

It had it all .. the unexpected turncoat in the "Oval Office," the training montage with the inspiring 80s rock song, hot babes ("Ever banged an entire bachelorette party?"), big-game finale (love how Michael admitted ruining the Scranton High hockey team's postseason).

Best of all .. a kick-ass theme song! "Threat Level what? Mid-night! Threat Level who? Michael Scarn!"

Last edited by Uncle Jocko; 02-18-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM

My favorite joke was how Darryl agreed to be in it because he thought it would be good for his daughter to get to see a black US president, even if only in a low-budget movie.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 PM

The stuff where you could hear the movie, but not see it, where Jim was explaining the origin of Goldface, that was hilarious
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

They missed the chance to do something really great in the ending bit. They should have had the whole cast in a big dance number doing the Scarn like at the end of Slumdog Millionaire.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 PM

I love that there's an internal monolog and a voice-over.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
They missed the chance to do something really great in the ending bit. They should have had the whole cast in a big dance number doing the Scarn like at the end of Slumdog Millionaire.
I agree x10. I was expecting something like that. I think the Scarn dance was one of the funniest moments they've had on this show in years.

The Scarn Dance
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Oscar was having a bit of trouble with his dying scene. Strangled people don't usually blink that much, do they?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM

I was totally fooled by the opening, when the guy came in and shot at Michael. I hadn't seen ANY previews so it just reminded me too much of the episode when House got shot. I was like "omg is this how they're going to write out his leaving?" I'm such a tool.

When I realized we were going to actually see the movie, I was not excited. I thought it was just going to be terrible and awkward, like Michael's improv group. I should have remembered how awesome the table read went, how awesome the D-M Scranton commercial was.

I loved this episode. I did not think the writers had this in them any more. Having been in the dark, this came out of nowhere for me and will end up in my top 10 favorite episodes of the show.

My favorite line was "Puck you."
Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jocko View Post
...the training montage with the inspiring 80s rock song,
Strangely enough, that was a pretty obscure Billy Joel song (presumably to tie in with the better-known "Pressure" during the ice skating shootout) called "Running on Ice". I vaguely remember Michael Scott saying he's a huge Billy Joel fan in a previous episode so I guess that makes sense, unless I'm making that up.

For some reason, Jim's ex-girlfriend is really adorable in the dance scene to me...
Old 02-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

It was actually Dwight who declared his appreciation for the music of "William Joel."
Old 02-19-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
But, for a 'home movie', it was almost too good for Michael Scott.
No shit? A movie made by a large team of professionals with a huge budget, carefully and intentionally crafted to be bad is better than a movie that's actually bad? Who would've thought...
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
It was actually Dwight who declared his appreciation for the music of "William Joel."
Ah, right you are. Well maybe he put Dwight in charge of choosing the music for the film.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
No shit? A movie made by a large team of professionals with a huge budget, carefully and intentionally crafted to be bad is better than a movie that's actually bad? Who would've thought...
Wow...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
The stuff where you could hear the movie, but not see it, where Jim was explaining the origin of Goldface, that was hilarious
I wonder if the character of Goldface was based on Gold Paint Huffer Guy?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post
Ah, right you are. Well maybe he put Dwight in charge of choosing the music for the film.
Although he might have been lying, because whenever he has been shown listening to music, it was heavy metal.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
OK! I Should have left out the word "almost".

I saw the episode four times now... I can't get 'The Scarn' song out of my head.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 02-19-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:41 AM

what did roy yell out at jim at the end of deleted scene clip 2?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes3 View Post
what did roy yell out at jim at the end of deleted scene clip 2?
"Please let us go GoldenFace."
Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I agree x10. I was expecting something like that. I think the Scarn dance was one of the funniest moments they've had on this show in years.

The Scarn Dance
Why is the image in that video the reverse of how I remember the scene? I remember it being with the bar on the left side of the screen and even the angle they were showing Jim and Pam seems reversed. Am I crazy?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Why is the image in that video the reverse of how I remember the scene? I remember it being with the bar on the left side of the screen and even the angle they were showing Jim and Pam seems reversed. Am I crazy?
No, it's reversed. Some dude just put it on youtube, so his video recorder must flip images for some reason. No idea.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
No, it's reversed. Some dude just put it on youtube, so his video recorder must flip images for some reason. No idea.
Anything either of my sisters record from the webcam on their Macbooks is automatically reversed for some odd reason as well. Seems like an odd 'feature' to me. The only reason I can think of is that it would make Video Chatting a bit easier to do since it does kind of throw you when you move to the left and your image onscreen moves to the right.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM

People flip videos before they put them on YouTube to avoid the copyright filter.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For some reason, Jim's ex-girlfriend is really adorable in the dance scene to me...
I was hoping for a little more Rashida Jones (I love her in almost everything she does), but even her cameo stole the episode.

"Why am *I* getting singled out?"

The rest was meh. Michael is the weakest link in that show, and an entire episode devoted to him wasn't much fun. I mean, did ANGELA get any lines? Was Kelly even IN the episode?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Kelly was one of the hostages. Angela was one of the bachelorettes.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
i also thought she was looking better than usual. i was probably more aroused by her "have you ever banged an entire bachelorette party" line than i should have.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusoya View Post
I was hoping for a little more Rashida Jones (I love her in almost everything she does), but even her cameo stole the episode.

"Why am *I* getting singled out?"

The rest was meh. Michael is the weakest link in that show, and an entire episode devoted to him wasn't much fun. I mean, did ANGELA get any lines? Was Kelly even IN the episode?
I'm glad at least someone didn't like the episode. What Office thread would be complete without it?

I wonder what Dio thought. My guess is that he's too distracted with people pitting him all the time, or he just didn't like it either.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I wonder if the character of Goldface was based on Gold Paint Huffer Guy?
Oh man, that mug shot is golden.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 AM

I loved it. Awesome episode. So cool that they were able to bring back so many castmemebers and really make it seem like something that was made over the years. From Roy and Karen to Jim's old hair style it really seemed like it was made before this season.

Did anyone else recognize the guy who came into the office shooting during the opening of the show? I know I have seen him before, but, i couldn't quite place where.

I didn't see Wallace.

I loved that they referenced the fact that Karen was a terrible actress. She did the same wooden line reading for the movie, as she did when she was trying to help prank Dwight.

"what was the point of pouring coffee on me?"

Fun stuff all around. An episode with almost no office stuff, but it was still quite good. I can't even remember if Gabe was in the episode at all.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricciar View Post
Did anyone else recognize the guy who came into the office shooting during the opening of the show? I know I have seen him before, but, i couldn't quite place where.
I don't know who he is either. However, does anyone else think he looks a little bit like the building security guard, or am I out of my mind?

Toby having his head blown off was hilarious. 'Wanted animal rapist.' In one of the deleted scenes, it was also cute that, clearly having a crush on Pam, he managed to pat her leg.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM

I was kinda mixed on it. I thought most of it was pretty hilarious, and giving Michael a chance to not be a caricature was pretty nice, but count me in as one of those that really loves this show except when they go too far on the cringe-scale. The Scarn dance was so painfully embarrassing that I had to cover my eyes and all I could think about was that was why I'm not an actor, because I could never let myself be seen doing something like that.