Old 09-19-2019, 04:57 PM

So far, I haven't had a problem with rocket exhaust. I build everything out of steel, including the automation and power cables. It's all exposed to vacuum. I suspect that the regolith that piles up actually cools it off (keeps it under 300 C).

For the part below the rocket, I keep a small pool of water that turns to steam when it's too hot. It's a waste since the steam floats up and away to space, but it's a good way of getting rid of lots of heat.

It seems like I should be able to make a closed loop liquid cooler, though. Run oil through a loop and drive a turbine.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
Long story short. If you want to use scanners to to open/close doors take your lower detection time and subtract 45 seconds for the time to close the doors. That's what you set the buffer to.
Thanks for the good info.

I played a little in sandbox mode to see what the optimal setup was. There's a bit of info on the ONI wiki, but it's pretty incomplete. Some findings:

- The wiki mentions that detection is degraded if there's any "heavy machinery" nearby. This includes both heavy transformers and space scanners themselves. The wiki also says that equipment should be at least 14 tiles away, but this appears to be edge to edge, not center to center. Hence, if you have scanners spaced horizontally, they need to be 15 tiles away (since they are two tiles away).

- Heavy machinery does not include mining lasers. So you can sprinkle these around with no problem. But it does include sweepers, so there's no automated way to gather up the regolith here. Not a big deal, I guess.

- The best setup for the "roof" seemed to be two bunker doors, with an exactly centered scanner beneath them, then 7 bunker tiles, then two more bunker doors with a scanner, etc.

- Below the scanners, I put a floor flooded with petroleum. This didn't interfere with the scanners, while keeping them cool. The lower tile had drywall but the space above was vacuum. I can also run petroleum through pipes below and then through a steam turbine to generate energy and cool it.

- With just two scanners, I got (IIRC) 59 s of detection time, which should be enough to close the doors and make other preparations.

This all seemed reasonable enough, but needs a ton of steel that I don't have. Guess I'll be waiting a while for my farms to drop some egg shell.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Somewhat off-topic: Klei's new game Hot Lava dropped today. You play an 80s action figure parkouring your way around the furniture in suburban rooms where the floors are deadly lava.

I love the premise, but don't buy new games unless they're super duper good. Klei's got a pretty good track record, though. Has anyone been following this/given it a try?
Old 09-19-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Thanks for the good info.

I played a little in sandbox mode to see what the optimal setup was. There's a bit of info on the ONI wiki, but it's pretty incomplete. Some findings:

- The wiki mentions that detection is degraded if there's any "heavy machinery" nearby. This includes both heavy transformers and space scanners themselves. The wiki also says that equipment should be at least 14 tiles away, but this appears to be edge to edge, not center to center. Hence, if you have scanners spaced horizontally, they need to be 15 tiles away (since they are two tiles away).

- Heavy machinery does not include mining lasers. So you can sprinkle these around with no problem. But it does include sweepers, so there's no automated way to gather up the regolith here. Not a big deal, I guess.

- The best setup for the "roof" seemed to be two bunker doors, with an exactly centered scanner beneath them, then 7 bunker tiles, then two more bunker doors with a scanner, etc.

- Below the scanners, I put a floor flooded with petroleum. This didn't interfere with the scanners, while keeping them cool. The lower tile had drywall but the space above was vacuum. I can also run petroleum through pipes below and then through a steam turbine to generate energy and cool it.

- With just two scanners, I got (IIRC) 59 s of detection time, which should be enough to close the doors and make other preparations.

This all seemed reasonable enough, but needs a ton of steel that I don't have. Guess I'll be waiting a while for my farms to drop some egg shell.
Take a look at my other post on scanners. Ideally, you want to get to 155 seconds to guarantee that the doors will never cycle during the lead up to a storm. The better the detection rating the less likely it is to occur. I'm currently sitting at 90 seconds, and having no issues, but there is some probability of the auto open/close failing and I could take damage. I'm currently building another scanner to get it up a bit higher now that I actually have something of value that could be damaged (the robo-miners).
Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 PM

OOoo I got my first rare resources!

A small amount of Fullerene and Niobium.

Looks like soon I'll be able to start making Thermium and Super Coolant! Sweet!!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
It seems like I should be able to make a closed loop liquid cooler, though. Run oil through a loop and drive a turbine.
Check out Brothgar's videos on Youtube - he's got a set where he does just that.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Somewhat off-topic: Klei's new game Hot Lava dropped today. You play an 80s action figure parkouring your way around the furniture in suburban rooms where the floors are deadly lava.

I love the premise, but don't buy new games unless they're super duper good. Klei's got a pretty good track record, though. Has anyone been following this/given it a try?
Sounds similar to I Am Bread.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=GDE4rsLVB9A
Old 09-19-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
Check out Brothgar's videos on Youtube - he's got a set where he does just that.
Watching Brothgar videos is cheating (seriously, he's the Scott Manley of ONI)

I do actually try to work out most things on my own, though I do visit the Gamepedia wiki for basic properties. I like iterating on things until I've worked out something optimal.

I'm a tiny bit stuck on this map. I mean, my dupes are doing fine, but due to the lack of local resources I'll have a hard time taking additional steps. The problems:
- Iron and lime is a real problem. I can build more shine bug farms for lime, though it's not as convenient as big fossil deposits, and iron is still in short supply. Sure, it's just a matter of time, but in the meantime I can't build big steel-heavy projects--specifically a big space operation with scanners and solar collectors.
- Alternatively, I'd like to set up another oil->methane converter. But this requires thermium or at least niobium. I can collect small amounts of niobium no problem, but I need a couple of thousand. And I don't have wolframite at all. I can collect it from some very far off locations, but quantity is still a problem.

So either set off a ton of missions or just wait and wait for stuff to finish. I need another project that isn't so limited by advanced materials.

I am slowly converting my old water coolers to supercoolant based ones, which are much more efficient. So power really isn't a problem. Also, I managed to nab a few sleet wheat seeds and set up a farm (one that should work much better than my old one). So that's all going well. But still, I'd like a better solution to the power problem.

Hmm--now that I think about it, I wonder if I can do a closed loop with polluted water->arbor trees->distillery->ethanol->petrol generator->CO2->polluted water. Need to work out the numbers here. It might end up a net positive except for water.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Watching Brothgar videos is cheating (seriously, he's the Scott Manley of ONI)

I do actually try to work out most things on my own, though I do visit the Gamepedia wiki for basic properties. I like iterating on things until I've worked out something optimal.
I'm the same way. The joy is in finding some improvement; however, small to your layout, designs, etc. Watching a video and going straight to maximum optimality. Well, for me, that would take away all the fun. But I go to a wiki to know how something works, because I do find that the game doesn't tell you enough to make very informed decisions.

Last night, I build Silo #2 for a second rocket. Now, I need to recruit a second astronaught. "Dork Ship 1" will remain a petroleum-based ship for mid-range exploration to get the bonus research for visting worlds. Plus I want to know what the extra resources are on all the nearby worlds. "Dork Ship 2" will be steam powered with several research modules and will run to the nearest planets (with 5-6 research modules, it is still generating good research and using only water).

Once I've researched everything left in the tree, I'll convert "Dork Ship 2" to a long-range cargo/exploration ship, and convert "Dork Ship 1" to a mid-range cargo ship. I may build a "Dork Ship 3" at that point. We'll see how things are going.

P.s. - My friends and I have our own guild in games called "Dork Matter". So we have a tradition of naming things "Dork" <whatever>. Hence, the colony is called "Dork Matter" and the ships are called Dork Ship 1,2,3,etc.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:28 PM

I had a slight scanner malfunction, and as a result my base took MASSIVE damage. Ugh. I need to be more careful when bringing a new scanner onto the network. The sad thing is I had a master switch, which I use for most of my networks, that was supposed to disallow the doors to be opened, but I had messed up that logic. The master switch is working now, and my scan time is up to 107 seconds. Close enough to the optimal 155 seconds that the odds of having it fail is extremely low. I don't think I'll bother with another scanner.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
P.s. - My friends and I have our own guild in games called "Dork Matter". So we have a tradition of naming things "Dork" <whatever>. Hence, the colony is called "Dork Matter" and the ships are called Dork Ship 1,2,3,etc.
Cute names. I suppose I should name my rockets. I'd go with Serenity, but there's nothing very serene about its missions.

I tried to get some solar power going. Well, it went about as expected. Which is to say that it's a massive steel hog and that I'm out of lime (at least I can get lots of iron from space). Also that my solar panels overheated almost immediately since they only handle up to 75 C.

I have a plan of action but it's all about the steel at this point. Need more bunker doors and more steel aquatuners. It does look like I can gather it from other planets, though only around 600 kg at a time... barely worth it.

It looks like solar panels count as heavy machinery as well, since they're interfering with my scanners. So I need to tear everything down and rebuild the scanners at a much higher point. Ugh.

I think I've worked out a plan, though. All bunker doors on the top row. Then, 14 tiles with a scanner centered, and 2 tiles for a mining laser protected by bunker tiles. This gives max visibility to the scanners.

Below the 14 tiles of each scanner, diamond tile to let light through. And then much below that, two solar panels (7 tiles each). Repeat the pattern as necessary. The scanners let enough light past them to make the solar panels useful, and are separated in a way so I can cool them. At least that's the theory.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:51 PM

That's the setup I have so I think you'll find it works fine. You'll need to cool the lasers or periodcally deconstruct and reconstruct them. I guess it depends on how busy your dupes are.

I got my first super coolant!! I'm not sure what to do with it. I guess I'll use it in one of the cooling units. I mean it is called super coolant.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Is there a way to have your cargo ships *not* return a particular type of cargo? I now have 700 tonnes of obsidian! It is like guys seriously, enough is enough, get the iron and copper, but leave the obsidian there.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
That's the setup I have so I think you'll find it works fine. You'll need to cool the lasers or periodcally deconstruct and reconstruct them. I guess it depends on how busy your dupes are.
Flood cooling seems to work ok. I put one layer of drywall behind the lasers and scanners and put a few kilos of oil there. It transfers heat to the tiles below effectively. I still need to put some radiant pipes through the floor to make sure the whole setup doesn't get too hot, though.

Quote:
I got my first super coolant!! I'm not sure what to do with it. I guess I'll use it in one of the cooling units. I mean it is called super coolant.
Woo! Super coolant is great but it's so limited that you have to be judicious. Essentially, you want to make sure your aquatuners always have supercoolant flowing through them. Then, use the supercoolant to chill some other coolant, like water or oil. Finally, run the secondary coolant to whatever you want to chill. The second pump takes a bit of energy but the aquatuner runs much more efficiently with this setup. I generally use 400 kg of super coolant with this setup, but it may chill a tank with many tons of other coolant.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Flood cooling seems to work ok. I put one layer of drywall behind the lasers and scanners and put a few kilos of oil there. It transfers heat to the tiles below effectively. I still need to put some radiant pipes through the floor to make sure the whole setup doesn't get too hot, though.
I vent my waste gas onto them. The waste gas is usually between 50-80 degrees, but that actually cools them and get them well below the 275 for steel failure.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:26 PM

Soooooo.... super coolant lives up to its name. I think I could paint my whole base blue with this stuff. Not that it would be a good idea but my whole industrial area is a deep blue now.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:38 PM

So how's this for out of the box thinking. I can clear away some of my excess raw minerals but putting structures out where meteors can hit them and then repairing them. LOL
Old 09-21-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Soooooo.... super coolant lives up to its name. I think I could paint my whole base blue with this stuff. Not that it would be a good idea but my whole industrial area is a deep blue now.
I like that post #666 is about figuring out the most effective way to keep heat under control.

Could you show the setup, preferably in plain, pipe and heat overlays?

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 09-21-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I like that post #666 is about figuring out the most effective way to keep heat under control.

Could you show the setup, preferably in plain, pipe and heat overlays?
I hope this works. Note, this is not my original design, although my original design was essentially identical (the only difference was the location of items in the box). I *really* needed a solution to heat so after building my first aquatuner based cooling unit, I looked up a design and found this. I ended up using their layout for fear that my layout was inferior for some reason. I don't think it was. In the interest of giving credit where credit is due this is their URL. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1780707730)

No overlay:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1868774102

Heat overlay:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1868774231

Pipe overlay:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1868774386

Automation overlay:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1868774505

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 09-21-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:05 AM

And in the interest of sharing. Automated launch control and recovery. And yes, I know the layout of stuff is inefficient. It was my first time building in the space biome. Also, it isn't finished yet for "Dork Ship 2" (on the right)

No overlay:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1868784334

Automation overlay:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1868784430

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 09-21-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:22 AM

Whaaaaaaaaat??? I can drop stuff from a conveyor onto the floor! I just noticed there is a chute.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:37 AM

So here's my goal for today! I'm going to make use of the chute. I actually had this idea a couple of days ago, but my biggest conceptual problem was how to deliver the regolith.

I have an infected water geyser. There's a few ways to clear the germs but two of the main ways to it into pure water are:

1. Cool the water to below 10 degrees then sieve it. (or sieve then cool)
2. Boil that water!

But how to boil it? With regolith! Rather than using the regolith as a filtering medium I'm going to use it to boil the polluted water. The steam will condense as pure water.

My problem was how to deliver the regolith. And the answer is with a chute.

This should work.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:06 AM

Well, it was all fun and games seeing just how cold I could get my base, but water is freezing in my pipes so maybe I better stop trying to make it as cold as possible.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:42 PM

I'm starting to use shipping a bit more, and thinking about how to set it up. Obviously I can run direct lines from production to destination. But this seems inefficient (probably because it is). I'm thinking of setting it up like a railroad system. Collection at a central yard, and then re-distribution.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-21-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to use shipping a bit more, and thinking about how to set it up. Obviously I can run direct lines from production to destination. But this seems inefficient (probably because it is). I'm thinking of setting it up like a railroad system. Collection at a central yard, and then re-distribution.
I pretty much just use point-to-point distribution. A railyard approach sounds interesting, but I tend to use the conveyors for food, and that doesn't do well with long-term storage.

Incidentally, the chutes are great for food. Have them dump the contents right onto a weight plate, which feeds back to the farm production (like the light bulbs for a berry farm). Much less power than a fridge, and no problems with things getting stuck in the rail system and rotting.

BTW, rail items exchange heat well with other things on the tile. This can be advantageous or not. I previously had a problem with hot dirt heating up my sleet wheat farm. Eventually it would equalize but it disrupted production. Now, I run the dirt through the water chiller first. It pre-chills the dirt before it enters the farm area, so it all stays at a comfortable 2-3 C.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else seen issues with power overproduction, particularly with solar panels and steam turbines? My cycle report says I'm wasting power due to overproduction, but the weird part is that I have plenty of battery storage left. Even if my panels and turbines are producing more than I need, it should at least charge the batteries first. Can't figure out what's up here.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I pretty much just use point-to-point distribution. A railyard approach sounds interesting, but I tend to use the conveyors for food, and that doesn't do well with long-term storage.

Incidentally, the chutes are great for food. Have them dump the contents right onto a weight plate, which feeds back to the farm production (like the light bulbs for a berry farm). Much less power than a fridge, and no problems with things getting stuck in the rail system and rotting.

BTW, rail items exchange heat well with other things on the tile. This can be advantageous or not. I previously had a problem with hot dirt heating up my sleet wheat farm. Eventually it would equalize but it disrupted production. Now, I run the dirt through the water chiller first. It pre-chills the dirt before it enters the farm area, so it all stays at a comfortable 2-3 C.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else seen issues with power overproduction, particularly with solar panels and steam turbines? My cycle report says I'm wasting power due to overproduction, but the weird part is that I have plenty of battery storage left. Even if my panels and turbines are producing more than I need, it should at least charge the batteries first. Can't figure out what's up here.
Interesting about heat and conveyors. Something to keep in mind.

The over production I think is a bug because generators always report maximum energy whenever they are on regardless of how much energy they produce.

If you click on a battery and go to the energy tab, then you'll see every steam turbine says "850" no matter what. Same with solar power. It is report as 380 even when they're producing less. So that game thinks you're overproducing.

I just use my batteries as a guide. If they're routinely at 100%, then I'm overproducing; otherwise, it is fine.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:54 PM

Beep, Dr. Strangelove, you both work in the tech field and seem quite interested in this game. How does it resonate with what you've become skilled at or like to do? The question is open to all but seeing Beep and Dr. Strangelove be particularly into ONI made me wonder.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
If you click on a battery and go to the energy tab, then you'll see every steam turbine says "850" no matter what. Same with solar power. It is report as 380 even when they're producing less. So that game thinks you're overproducing.
Ahh! Makes perfect sense. Both solar panels and steam turbines are variable output, so they would be affected by a bug like that. My batteries are doing what I expect, and I have some fancy automation to enable hydrogen/nat gas/petroleum generators depending on storage levels. They do turn off as expected when the battery levels rise, so I think the solar and steam are probably working as designed.

The solar system does seem to work ok now. I have a cooler that runs petroleum through the solar chamber and then through the scanners above it. The solar stays nice and cool. The scanners--which have all the mined regolith--are not so chilly, though they haven't broken yet.

I think I'll build a pre-cooler for the petroleum. It always comes back at ~250 C. I don't need an aquatuner for that; just run it through a steam box with a turbine (or two) above it. That should bring the petroleum down to 125 C, which will put less load on the aquatuner.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Beep, Dr. Strangelove, you both work in the tech field and seem quite interested in this game. How does it resonate with what you've become skilled at or like to do? The question is open to all but seeing Beep and Dr. Strangelove be particularly into ONI made me wonder.
I love it! I bought it back in Early Access mainly because it was made by Klei, and I have a lot of confidence in them to make a high quality game. But I did fear that I might not play it that much. I wasn't very good at Don't Starve, and I wasn't very good at KSP, and this seemed like a mix of both.

And really, I wasn't very good at this game at first. But there is something about this game that almost has a research mentality to it. It is very open to experimentation without crippling you if you make a bad choice (unless it is REALLY bad, especially in the early game). Every single run I've mastered some new aspect of the game. I feel like there's still plenty to master though. I feel my layouts are inefficient. I've not mastered shipping. There's plenty more automation I could do. And the space biome is owning me at the moment.

So yeah, I love it. I have a friend who is an engineer. He adores this game. He loves building stuff and making it all work together.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:13 PM

I've found that drywall is "sticky". So you can release a gas in what would other wise be a vacuum in the centre of a bunch of drywall and it'll will spread throughout the drywall. Even if normally it would rise, i.e. like hydrogen.

Note, how the gasses are trying to stick to drywall areas. They even stick to the bunker doors too.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1869469248

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 09-21-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:17 PM

And yes I know my layout is hideous. I'm working on fixing it.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 PM

Using regolith to vaporize the infected water was a total bust. Mainly because of the regolith heating up EVERYTHING along the way. And the sad thing. By the time it got to the vent, the regolith was 55 C. Sigh.

So clearly, the right approach is to bring the water to the regolith and not the other way around.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:53 PM

My space scanner and solar panel setup

It sure took long enough to get everything built and cleaned up, but it's working quite well at the moment. Generates ~1100 kJ on most cycles (depends on how lucky I'm getting with meteor storms, of course).

The top part is still rather toasty, so I'm building more steam turbines. But the panels themselves are a comfortable temperature. The coolant I'm using goes to them first, so they chill down to <50 C easily, even though the coolant heats to 250 C by the time it's through the upper loop.

I think I have room for one more pair of panels. But I'll need to save up some more steel for that.

It'll probably be a while before the setup actually pays for itself--it's a really expensive setup. But hey, I'm all about sustainability.

BTW, BeepKillBeep--I wonder if something is bugged with your scanner setup. I don't seem to have any of the problems you were having. I have a dead-simple setup; I just connect all the scanners together, run it through a NOT gate, and then to the doors. It's worked perfectly each time--the first scanner to detect closes the doors, and they don't open until the storm is over. Technically, I should wait a few seconds extra because the end of the storm can happen while a few meteors are still in flight, but the slow opening of the doors covers for this. I haven't seen any damage due to meteors after maybe a dozen storms.

The only thing that actually requires maintenance is the stupid shove voles burying my lasers .
Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Using regolith to vaporize the infected water was a total bust. Mainly because of the regolith heating up EVERYTHING along the way. And the sad thing. By the time it got to the vent, the regolith was 55 C. Sigh.
Yeah, that's basically because of what I mentioned--rails exchanging heat well with their environment. And there's no equivalent of insulated pipes.

I do wish the conveyor system was a bit more fleshed out, with filters and insulated rails and so on. At least we got chutes, though--those weren't in early access (at least not when I was playing).
Old 09-21-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
My space scanner and solar panel setup

It sure took long enough to get everything built and cleaned up, but it's working quite well at the moment. Generates ~1100 kJ on most cycles (depends on how lucky I'm getting with meteor storms, of course).

The top part is still rather toasty, so I'm building more steam turbines. But the panels themselves are a comfortable temperature. The coolant I'm using goes to them first, so they chill down to <50 C easily, even though the coolant heats to 250 C by the time it's through the upper loop.

I think I have room for one more pair of panels. But I'll need to save up some more steel for that.

It'll probably be a while before the setup actually pays for itself--it's a really expensive setup. But hey, I'm all about sustainability.

BTW, BeepKillBeep--I wonder if something is bugged with your scanner setup. I don't seem to have any of the problems you were having. I have a dead-simple setup; I just connect all the scanners together, run it through a NOT gate, and then to the doors. It's worked perfectly each time--the first scanner to detect closes the doors, and they don't open until the storm is over. Technically, I should wait a few seconds extra because the end of the storm can happen while a few meteors are still in flight, but the slow opening of the doors covers for this. I haven't seen any damage due to meteors after maybe a dozen storms.

The only thing that actually requires maintenance is the stupid shove voles burying my lasers .
I don't want my doors to close when the first scanner detects. I want them to close when they all detect. If you close on the first detect your losing out on that sweet sweet solar panel time.

It seems Vole de Mort is in your game too (that was really funny).

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 09-21-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 PM

Two more flights by my research vessels and I should have the data banks needed to finalize the last tech. Then I can convert my ships over to cargo vessels. I now have three astronaughts, but only two rockets. There's only one thing to do.

No, not kill one of the astronaughts... build another rocket!
Old 09-21-2019, 09:33 PM

I've not really been paying attention to my fuel production. I've somehow ended up with 75 tonnes of petroleum. I think I'm good for awhile at least.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:
I love optimization and tweaking things until they're just right. I also like building automated systems that do a lot with minimal effort. ONI, Factorio, etc. really scratch that itch for me.

I can't generalize, though. I have lots of gaming friends at work but only one is as interested in these games as I am. The rest are all over the map--RPGs, FPSes, racing games, collectible card games, etc. I guess it's just personal preference in the end, but the closest thing I've heard to an answer is that they spend all day at work building intricate systems; when they get home they want to unwind and do something completely different. I guess I understand that but it's not for me.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:30 AM

Scanner network 2.0 (well probably more like 5.3) is just about complete. I put my bunker doors one tile down from the build ceiling this time. So all of the "space" underneath will be mine all mine!

And with that Great Exodus from the center of the asteroid begins. I'm going to colonize the surface! I have everything I need. Oxygen production is all set. I have conveyor lines from the center to the surface. Power systems are unified into one. I just need to build our new home.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:34 AM

Scanner network 2.0 (well probably more like 5.3) is just about complete. I put my bunker doors one tile down from the build ceiling this time. So all of the "space" underneath will be mine all mine!

And with that Great Exodus from the center of the asteroid begins. I'm going to colonize the surface! I have everything I need. Oxygen production is all set. I have conveyor lines from the center to the surface. Power systems are unified into one. I just need to build our new home.

The new network. I've reversed the lasers and scanners, so now with the inclusion of doors the regolith should fall right through.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1869883114

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 09-22-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:41 AM

Oh, you can zoom OUT in screenshot mode! Now it all makes sense how people get those far out screenshots of the whole base!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1869888077
Old 09-22-2019, 08:15 AM

I've started to layout a basic railyard conveyor system. Just a test version to make sure this works conceptually before I commit to a large build.

The idea is this. I have a central warehouse. Everything is shipped to the central warehouse where sweepers put it into storage. Simple enough. Dupes will also be able to store stuff there. I'll put some storage bins underwater for hot items and oxylite/bleach stone. Those ones may need their own incoming conveyor track.

Then there is a single outgoing conveyor track. At every junction I'll put conveyor shut offs that default to red.

At every destination I'll put a receptacle and a smart bin. If I set the receptacle to receive say "copper" and the smart bin to "copper", the smart bin will turn all of the junctions required to get items to it.

The sweepers will put the items on the track, and they'll get delivered.

That's the theory anyway.

But if it works I should have centralized storage with on demand delivery of goods.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:55 AM

The Great Exodus requires 700 tonnes of drywall

Finally will use up some of those mineral laying all over the place. However it is so much I almost think I should be trying to ship it there to reduce hauling.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:26 PM

Good luck with your project! Just have to note, though, conveyor lines are really not that quick. They're just 20 kg/s, so only 12 tons per cycle. My trained up dupes can carry 2.2 tons at a time, and if they're using transit tubes or not going very far, they can make dozens of trips per cycle, each. A bunch of dupes going at once can move hundreds of tons per cycle.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:04 PM

Yeah, I've noticed. After letting my dupes work a bit they were plenty quick at hauling material. They're very fast and carry a lot more at a time.

My biggest problem now is two-fold.

One I'm scratching the nose of the 20 KW limit for heavy wire. So I'll need to go to the 50 KW wire or make two grids.

And my other problem is I'm having a hard time keeping the lights on. Electricity has been a non-issue for so long, and suddenly I think I've pushed it too far. I do have 90 tonnes of petroleum so I think it is time to build a few petroleum generators until I can get some more steam turbines up or something.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:31 PM

Dang; 20 kW is a lot. I don't think I've seen my grid past 6.

You might consider arbor trees. I just finished setting up a nice loop. Arbor trees in a Pip stable take polluted water and generate dirt and lumber. Ethanol distillers produce ethanol, polluted dirt, and CO2. Carbon scrubbers take water and CO2 and make polluted water (enough, I think, for the trees). Composters take polluted dirt and make dirt. And the ethanol can be burned for power.

I think the only input is clean water, and the temperature doesn't matter. I've got plenty of that, and it's making plenty of ethanol and dirt as end products.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:41 PM

You know, I can be incredibly dense from time to time. I have a perfectly good setup for creating steam to power my steam rocket. I can use that to power my steam turbines. I don't need to move the regolith, I just need to move the steam.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Dang; 20 kW is a lot. I don't think I've seen my grid past 6.

You might consider arbor trees. I just finished setting up a nice loop. Arbor trees in a Pip stable take polluted water and generate dirt and lumber. Ethanol distillers produce ethanol, polluted dirt, and CO2. Carbon scrubbers take water and CO2 and make polluted water (enough, I think, for the trees). Composters take polluted dirt and make dirt. And the ethanol can be burned for power.

I think the only input is clean water, and the temperature doesn't matter. I've got plenty of that, and it's making plenty of ethanol and dirt as end products.
Huh. That's an interesting loop. I do have a handful of arbor tree seeds from care packages. Usually I vent CO2, but this would give something useful to do with it.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Huh. That's an interesting loop. I do have a handful of arbor tree seeds from care packages. Usually I vent CO2, but this would give something useful to do with it.
I just ran the numbers and it's massively polluted water positive. That is, if I convert all the CO2--if I don't, then I can just vent the remaining to space. I do have other PW needs, so I'll leave my loop at the max but disable it if my PW tank gets too full. Then vent the remaining CO2 to space.

The ratio I came up with is:
1 arbor tree
0.55 ethanol distillers
0.116 carbon skimmers
1.85 compost heaps

That requires 70 kg fresh water/cycle and produces 101 kg clean dirt and 167 kg ethanol. Also 34 kg of excess CO2.

If you burn the ethanol, it produces 255 kJ energy/cycle, or an average of 425 W. Oh, and a ton more CO2 and PW, which can be fed back into the system...

So yeah, the whole thing is massively energy and material positive, and only needs fresh water as input (and not really that much).
Old 09-22-2019, 10:00 PM

I found out why I was having power problems. My natural gas generators were stuck. I unstucked them and life is good again.

I've planted the few trees I had so I'm going to give it a try.