Old 01-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
If I'm reading this right, they have three separate but intertwined games?
The plan is:

Arena Commander (A PVP duelling circuit) will as I understand it become more like a pro sporting arena within the game.

Star Citizen: Open world MMO

- Squadron42 S42 is a "single player campaign" much like playing the old wing commander games. You join the UEE navy as a fighter pilot and go to war. It eventually ends rolling you out into SC with some extra gear/skills/cash.

Star marine I think was more just a test bed for the FPS aspects of SC. I am about 90% sure it was never planned to be a permanent separate entity.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Would it be wrong to assume that if someone was so into this game that they would buy a $2500 Idris Frigate, they would also be knowledgeable enough to realize their prize ship would need protection and either buy accordingly or wait until they accumulated the funds to do so before setting sail(so to speak)? That still makes it a game of money, with the haves always being able to beat the shit out of the have-nots. While it might be possible for the have-nots to acquire the bigger toys through hard work, the haves are playing the same game at the same rate and getting the same benefits...but with a major headstart that cannot be fixed.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Would it be wrong to assume that if someone was so into this game that they would buy a $2500 Idris Frigate, they would also be knowledgeable enough to realize their prize ship would need protection and either buy accordingly or wait until they accumulated the funds to do so before setting sail(so to speak)? That still makes it a game of money, with the haves always being able to beat the shit out of the have-nots. While it might be possible for the have-nots to acquire the bigger toys through hard work, the haves are playing the same game at the same rate and getting the same benefits...but with a major headstart that cannot be fixed.
Yes but this was done to help fund the game and are very limited in quantitiy. Once the game goes live, you will not be able to buy those ships with IRL money. So its not like I can just "buy my way" to the big leagues unless I do it as an early backer. Those ships are not for sale anymore except as part of a $5-15K package. If someone wants to dump that much money in, I dont care if they start with a bigger fancier ship hes earned the privelege. Hes a hefty chunk of the reason the game exisits.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
Star marine I think was more just a test bed for the FPS aspects of SC. I am about 90% sure it was never planned to be a permanent separate entity.
It's difficult to find info about stuff that's been delayed indefinitely, but my understanding is that the plan had been to release "Star Marine" as a standalone module to players at some point back in 2015 - it was supposed to have represented the core gameplay of Squadron 42, but I guess also function as a multiplayer shooter for backers to play while waiting on the full game.

Either way, it's not really a thing anymore. I guess it's been rolled back into the overall Star Citizen project.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
It's difficult to find info about stuff that's been delayed indefinitely, but my understanding is that the plan had been to release "Star Marine" as a standalone module to players at some point back in 2015 - it was supposed to have represented the core gameplay of Squadron 42, but I guess also function as a multiplayer shooter for backers to play while waiting on the full game.

Either way, it's not really a thing anymore. I guess it's been rolled back into the overall Star Citizen project.
The SM module was also being handled by a subcontracted developer Illfonic IIRC. CIG has since stopped using them allegedly due to them being unable to deliver as promised ( I do not know details but some of the features CIG wants are way above and beyond normal FPS)

I am sure boarding actions will be part of S42 but the core gameplay will be piloting/ship operations. The SM environment is already part of the current live build. There is no dividing line between SC and SM, they are part of the same environment.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The SM environment is already part of the current live build.
What do you mean by this? The "current live build" of anything Star Citizen that backers can play appears to consist entirely of Arena Commander.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 PM

It looks like the 2.0 release from 12/12/15 has a FPS component. It advertises:

Quote:
Recharging energy weapons.
In-game pick-ups including ballistic weapons, ammo and MediPens.
Player healing.
Due to the open-world architecture of the Crusader system, FPS combat can occur on space stations, on the decks of ships, or even while engaged in EVA.
A space station location specifically designed for and dedicated to FPS combat, including many stores and caches of personal weapons.
Have any backers here played it? How is it compared to extant shooters at least in terms of its bones? Obviously the feature list are going to be pretty limited.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have any backers here played it? How is it compared to extant shooters at least in terms of its bones? Obviously the feature list are going to be pretty limited.
Its pretty, but my pc has a hard time with it even on medium detail. I have held off on a vga card till things get more developed. Its just an open world...no missions, no objective, just occasional firefights about whos gonna drag a noodle machine home.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
There's potential, but it's still far from ready. The FPS part of the open world module is very clunky. Gun handling doesn't feel great. As a pure FPS I'm not convinced yet. But the potential is in seemless transition from flight combat to FPS, freefall combat, and emphasis on 'realism' rather than twitchy combat, more like Arma rather than CoD. The bones of that are there, but the implementation still needs a lot of work.

My limited experience consisted of me getting ambushed and gunned down while landing at a space station, before I knew that there were guns to be found in the module. After that I was always careful to make sure the coast was clear when I land. So later I was exploring a different station, and noticed someone plinking my shields. Well, a guy with a submachine gun doesn't fare too well against space fighter grade weapons. I didn't even have to feel guilty about it since he shot first.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Bumping this because some players seem to be tired of waiting...and one player demanded, and got, a refund.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:14 PM

Six months on, any Doper updates?
Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Six months on, any Doper updates?
You know. I think I backed this thing. I should check and see what is happening with it.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:05 PM

So, after people answered me questions late last year, (and a hearty Thanks! to everyone who answered), I got very interested in this game from an industry standpoint. I should point out here that I am 100% not an expert in any sense. I do not make games, don't invest in the industry, and don't do games reporting or anything. At the same time, I find the industry fascinating and like to research everything relating to that.

If people are interested, there's a free-fly option next week, where you can download and play for a week. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ly-week-trial/

Push come to shove, I hope things turn out well, but admittedly it doesn't seem likely. After years of development, the games still in alpha and doesn't realistically seem close to market-ready.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:17 PM

I read a while that Roberts and co was being investigated by the ftc or something close to that (might of been a state agency ) because people were starting to complain that they were getting ripped off .... was there something to that ?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Bumping this because some players seem to be tired of waiting...and one player demanded, and got, a refund.
I finally got jack of waiting for any sort of development past being a starship buying simulator and just a few days ago sent them a cancellation/refund request citing the relevant sections of Australian consumer law plus websites (including the fact that blanket 'no refund's' doesn't fly under the laws here.

No response yet. If I get a refund fine, if I don't then I'll consider it US$35 lost and not deal with them again.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Co-worker who's a big fan just said they pushed out an update a few weeks ago that left a lot of older machines in the dust, so now it looks like even if it ever does ship, my machine won't run it.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Pope View Post
I finally got jack of waiting for any sort of development past being a starship buying simulator and just a few days ago sent them a cancellation/refund request citing the relevant sections of Australian consumer law plus websites (including the fact that blanket 'no refund's' doesn't fly under the laws here.

No response yet. If I get a refund fine, if I don't then I'll consider it US$35 lost and not deal with them again.
You should contact whoever in Australia is in charge of consumer protection. I honestly believe that the only way this game ever gets finished is if people start demanding (and actually getting) refunds. Otherwise Roberts just gets to keep paying him and his wife a handsome salary out of their enormous pile of money.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
You should contact whoever in Australia is in charge of consumer protection. I honestly believe that the only way this game ever gets finished is if people start demanding (and actually getting) refunds. Otherwise Roberts just gets to keep paying him and his wife a handsome salary out of their enormous pile of money.
If they do try to dodge out of things I will at least forward their email onto Consumer Affairs to get their take on the matter.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM

Just bumping this to note that after a few back-and-forth emails I've been issued a full refund (and had my entire account closed as a small "FU" apparently) so it is possible.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 AM

Honestly, I think the minimum specs have edged past my PC at this point, so whatever they eventually deliver won't be useful to me in the way that was promised. I wonder if it's worth pursuing a refund for myself on that basis.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM

It may be but you'll probably need to be able to quote the specific consumer law that you are invoking in your state or country and send them a link a website.

For instance: a blanket 'no refunds' policy isn't legal under Australia's consumer law so no matter what their TOS says it won't fly as a reason to not refund.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If you want to get a refund, you may want to take a look at this handy little guide.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That made for fascinating reading.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:25 AM

May not be worth the hassle, I only pledged at a low level.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM

So uh... they showed alpha 3.0 live at Gamescom, and my faith in this game has been restored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg

The technology on display here is beyond anything I've ever seen, beyond anything any AAA game has even ever attempted.

This looks AMAZING. The little boy in me who dreamed of playing a game like this was just jumping up and down gleefully while watching that demo.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-22-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM

Gonna finish up the demo tonight, but man, I'm just in awe f this game.

Of course with the flop and disappointment and outright lies we got from No Man's Sky, I'm still worried about what will actually ship, but so far it just looks amazing.

Can you imagine the Cecil Adams, Piloted by the brave crew of the Straight Dope?
Old 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

As a tech demo it is impressive. Thing is, the game has been an impressive demo/idea for many years and many millions of dollars.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
As a tech demo it is impressive. Thing is, the game has been an impressive demo/idea for many years and many millions of dollars.
Isn't that all games though?

I hear most games are glorified tech demos, if even that up until close to release. This game is doing stuff no one else is, and we are seeing results. Maybe not as fast as we would like, but it seems to be happening.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:56 PM

PCs will have been replaced by thought control neural interface modules by the time they release the thing.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Rat View Post
PCs will have been replaced by thought control neural interface modules by the time they release the thing.
Even better!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You were impressed by yet another spiffy demo at a show? Not interested, unless he allows you to buy the demo and take it home with you. Did they happen to mention a release date and/or the updated equipment requirements for this newest speculative version?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:04 PM

If this game delivers on its promises (and part of that includes the game not being Pay-to-Win in favor of the folks who have spend hundreds and thousands of dollar at this point), then I will be first in line to pick up a copy.

But I'll believe it when I see it, and not a moment before. A tech demo at a convention is not proof that Roberts is not continuing to rip off his backers.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You were impressed by yet another spiffy demo at a show? Not interested, unless he allows you to buy the demo and take it home with you. Did they happen to mention a release date and/or the updated equipment requirements for this newest speculative version?
I believe there's an update hitting in a few days that will have planet/moon surfaces, but stuff from the demo they showed at Gamescom is not scheduled for release until early next year.

And yeah, I was totally impressed. I don't think you can watch it and not be, unless you have no interest in the genre. I don't think there's a release date, and I doubt the game will come out in 1.0 form until at least 2018.

It took Bioware from 2002 to 2009 to put out Dragon Age: Origins. With full scale development starting in 2004. I have no doubts this is a much bigger undertaking. Totally see the point of not being excited until well, closer to 2018, assuming it shows up by then, but this stuff is extremely impressive form a technology and gameplay perspective.

As a space nerd and well, loving space games since I was a kid, its hard not to be excited, even as I absolutely agree that there's a possibility this is not going to pan out as expected.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-22-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
As a space nerd and well, loving space games since I was a kid, its hard not to be excited, even as I absolutely agree that there's a possibility this is not going to pan out as expected.
The inside/outside bases being part of the same instance is a very nice touch, especially since it has historically been just random people walking by as graphics vs seeing the actual players running around.

The "assist" with the last pirate was good for a chuckle as well.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera View Post
May not be worth the hassle, I only pledged at a low level.
I have "bumped" my ship a few times and currently own:

A RSI Constellation - Tarus
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...llation-Taurus

A Drake Cutlass Red
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...ss/Cutlass-Red

Although I am a huge fanboy, I do have a few doubts. I am very happy to see the recent demo and feel like more of the pieces are dropping into place.

I am not even considering requesting a refund at this point. Yeah, its been forever, but the money was spent long ago... I will just be happy to be starting with a ship than can fit a newbie ships in its cargo bay (I think an aurora will just barely fit)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I have "bumped" my ship a few times and currently own:

A RSI Constellation - Tarus
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...llation-Taurus

A Drake Cutlass Red
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...ss/Cutlass-Red

Although I am a huge fanboy, I do have a few doubts. I am very happy to see the recent demo and feel like more of the pieces are dropping into place.

I am not even considering requesting a refund at this point. Yeah, its been forever, but the money was spent long ago... I will just be happy to be starting with a ship than can fit a newbie ships in its cargo bay (I think an aurora will just barely fit)
How much money would you estimate you have put into this game so far, including any startup money donated(if any)?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Me, I'm happy spending 60 bucks on No Man's Sky, which will likely also be a letdown in comparison to its hype.
Well I was right about the letdown bit, but wrong about being happy to spend the money. I haven't bought the game yet and probably won't until I can get it for cheaper (or the devs put out some major content updates).
Old 08-23-2016, 11:23 AM

I'm updating my copy again to have a look at any changes since last time. I haven't actually paid any money into it at all - I got a copy of the game and a flyable ship with my graphics card, but I have no intention at all in paying more money for another ship.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:08 PM

Played a bit, there's a fair amount more than last time I played, but it's still very obviously alpha.

Impressive, though. You now wake up in a bunk, make your way through a graphically impressive base - you can look out through the windows and see people's ships on the landing pads outside. You talk to the computer, get your ship ready to launch, and then you can go outside with your suit on and walk your way over to your pad. Get into the ship, take off, fly around a bit.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think I'd be a lot more excited about this if Elite Dangerous hadn't come along and got a lot more of the groundwork in, with plans for more into the future. There's still no 'game' here.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How much money would you estimate you have put into this game so far, including any startup money donated(if any)?
Thats about $250 for both of them, but they both started as much cheaper ships that I bumped up $20-30 at a time over the last few years. Initial investment was $120.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:31 PM

So if we take its eventual release as a given, how much (or what pieces) of the promised gameplay would you need in order to feel like you've gotten your money's worth?
Old 08-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So if we take its eventual release as a given, how much (or what pieces) of the promised gameplay would you need in order to feel like you've gotten your money's worth?
I tend to look at kickstarters as a crapshoot. So if it fails, it fails, as a self employed person I spend way more on ideas that didnt work out all the time. I also regularly purchase early access games on steam. A few times I have been disappointed, but more often I got a decent game I was happy with.

My "guideline" if you will is $1 an hour. If I spend $30 on a game and it amused me for 30 hours, I am a happy customer.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:05 PM

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/10/13...itizencon-2016

Somebody mentioned this to me today - I hadn't checked on the game in a while. Squadron 42 has been delayed until some time next year (no date), and the team is going to slow its release schedule, possibly only doing quarterly releases.

Any backers have insight about the current state of the alpha?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/10/13...itizencon-2016

Somebody mentioned this to me today - I hadn't checked on the game in a while. Squadron 42 has been delayed until some time next year (no date), and the team is going to slow its release schedule, possibly only doing quarterly releases.

Any backers have insight about the current state of the alpha?
From your link:
Quote:
Roberts revealed that the pre-sale of the most recent new ship, the RSI Polaris, resulted in their most successful day of crowdfunding yet. The virtual ship costs $750, and is not yet playable in-game.

The Star Citizen website claims that the game project has raised a total of more than $127 million dollars.
750 bucks for a virtual ship.
For a game that isn't playable yet, and has no projected release date for one small section of it, let alone the whole thing.

edited to add: Perhaps the thread title should be modified to read "Star Citizen is the far, far Future of PC Gaming..."?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 10-19-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 PM

I don't get it? People are buy an unfinished game you can't even play yet? In some cases, spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars for in game content? That's insane. I've bought "in development" games before (DayZ and Space Engineers). But I only spent like $25 and got hundreds or thousands of hours of mostly quality gameplay. I didn't buy No Man's Sky because the reviews cut it to pieces.

Sorry, but I just don't get it. Are people afraid they will run out of copies once it's released?

Last edited by msmith537; 10-19-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
From your link:
750 bucks for a virtual ship.
Look, I have to say it 'cause someone's going to; who owns this game company, Donald Trump?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I think it's an emotional investment the investors have-they have literally spent too much time and too much money to admit that they blew it and, like a gambler that has blown the paycheck and should have left the casino many hours ago, they feel the only way they can retain their honor is to double-down on the bet and pray it pays off.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 10-19-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

People are so damn impatient. I don't know why people are treating this as vaporware. We're regularing seeing new, extended footage with new features all the time. A game like this could easily take 5 or 6 years to develop. It's a huge, ambitious, revolutionary game. It's not a yearly installment of Call of Duty that changed 3 minor things.

It's just that usually when this happens, it's kept quiet until a year or two until it's ready to release. So people aren't used to hearing about a game for 6 years, so they assume that means this one was vaporware. But obviously given the crowd funding and business model, this one couldn't have received 4 years of silent development before announcement.

I don't know why people get so excited for a game that they get angry constantly that it isn't out yet. Just wait until it's released and see then if it's worthwhile.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 10-20-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

For one thing: $750 for a ship that has a possibility of never arriving.

A $60 pre-order gets you all het up but this doesn't? The mind boggles.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
People are so damn impatient. I don't know why people are treating this as vaporware. We're regularing seeing new, extended footage with new features all the time. A game like this could easily take 5 or 6 years to develop. It's a huge, ambitious, revolutionary game. It's not a yearly installment of Call of Duty that changed 3 minor things.
I can totally understand that. What I do not understand is people paying huge amounts of money for it. $750 for a ship? For $750 I want a piece of the action. Stock in the company.

Games take many years and millions to develop and make. But so do movies. I'll pay my money to see the next Batman movie when it's actually a finished product ready for me to enjoy it.

If Star Citizen ever happens, I'll buy it and enjoy it for $60. Until then it is flatly insane to pay hundreds of dollars for "ships" in a game that is not actually a game.

Last edited by RickJay; 10-20-2016 at 12:48 PM.