Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 01-18-2016, 03:46 PM
drachillix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 192.168.0.1
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
If I'm reading this right, they have three separate but intertwined games?
The plan is:

Arena Commander (A PVP duelling circuit) will as I understand it become more like a pro sporting arena within the game.

Star Citizen: Open world MMO

- Squadron42 S42 is a "single player campaign" much like playing the old wing commander games. You join the UEE navy as a fighter pilot and go to war. It eventually ends rolling you out into SC with some extra gear/skills/cash.


Star marine I think was more just a test bed for the FPS aspects of SC. I am about 90% sure it was never planned to be a permanent separate entity.
  #102  
Old 01-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,511
Would it be wrong to assume that if someone was so into this game that they would buy a $2500 Idris Frigate, they would also be knowledgeable enough to realize their prize ship would need protection and either buy accordingly or wait until they accumulated the funds to do so before setting sail(so to speak)? That still makes it a game of money, with the haves always being able to beat the shit out of the have-nots. While it might be possible for the have-nots to acquire the bigger toys through hard work, the haves are playing the same game at the same rate and getting the same benefits...but with a major headstart that cannot be fixed.
  #103  
Old 01-18-2016, 05:06 PM
drachillix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 192.168.0.1
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Would it be wrong to assume that if someone was so into this game that they would buy a $2500 Idris Frigate, they would also be knowledgeable enough to realize their prize ship would need protection and either buy accordingly or wait until they accumulated the funds to do so before setting sail(so to speak)? That still makes it a game of money, with the haves always being able to beat the shit out of the have-nots. While it might be possible for the have-nots to acquire the bigger toys through hard work, the haves are playing the same game at the same rate and getting the same benefits...but with a major headstart that cannot be fixed.
Yes but this was done to help fund the game and are very limited in quantitiy. Once the game goes live, you will not be able to buy those ships with IRL money. So its not like I can just "buy my way" to the big leagues unless I do it as an early backer. Those ships are not for sale anymore except as part of a $5-15K package. If someone wants to dump that much money in, I dont care if they start with a bigger fancier ship hes earned the privelege. Hes a hefty chunk of the reason the game exisits.
  #104  
Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
Star marine I think was more just a test bed for the FPS aspects of SC. I am about 90% sure it was never planned to be a permanent separate entity.
It's difficult to find info about stuff that's been delayed indefinitely, but my understanding is that the plan had been to release "Star Marine" as a standalone module to players at some point back in 2015 - it was supposed to have represented the core gameplay of Squadron 42, but I guess also function as a multiplayer shooter for backers to play while waiting on the full game.

Either way, it's not really a thing anymore. I guess it's been rolled back into the overall Star Citizen project.
  #105  
Old 01-19-2016, 11:46 AM
drachillix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 192.168.0.1
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
It's difficult to find info about stuff that's been delayed indefinitely, but my understanding is that the plan had been to release "Star Marine" as a standalone module to players at some point back in 2015 - it was supposed to have represented the core gameplay of Squadron 42, but I guess also function as a multiplayer shooter for backers to play while waiting on the full game.

Either way, it's not really a thing anymore. I guess it's been rolled back into the overall Star Citizen project.
The SM module was also being handled by a subcontracted developer Illfonic IIRC. CIG has since stopped using them allegedly due to them being unable to deliver as promised ( I do not know details but some of the features CIG wants are way above and beyond normal FPS)

I am sure boarding actions will be part of S42 but the core gameplay will be piloting/ship operations. The SM environment is already part of the current live build. There is no dividing line between SC and SM, they are part of the same environment.
  #106  
Old 01-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Teuton's Avatar
Teuton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
The SM environment is already part of the current live build.
What do you mean by this? The "current live build" of anything Star Citizen that backers can play appears to consist entirely of Arena Commander.
  #107  
Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,782
It looks like the 2.0 release from 12/12/15 has a FPS component. It advertises:

Quote:
Recharging energy weapons.
In-game pick-ups including ballistic weapons, ammo and MediPens.
Player healing.
Due to the open-world architecture of the Crusader system, FPS combat can occur on space stations, on the decks of ships, or even while engaged in EVA.
A space station location specifically designed for and dedicated to FPS combat, including many stores and caches of personal weapons.
Have any backers here played it? How is it compared to extant shooters at least in terms of its bones? Obviously the feature list are going to be pretty limited.
  #108  
Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 PM
drachillix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 192.168.0.1
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Have any backers here played it? How is it compared to extant shooters at least in terms of its bones? Obviously the feature list are going to be pretty limited.
Its pretty, but my pc has a hard time with it even on medium detail. I have held off on a vga card till things get more developed. Its just an open world...no missions, no objective, just occasional firefights about whos gonna drag a noodle machine home.
  #109  
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Enilno is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Have any backers here played it? How is it compared to extant shooters at least in terms of its bones? Obviously the feature list are going to be pretty limited.
There's potential, but it's still far from ready. The FPS part of the open world module is very clunky. Gun handling doesn't feel great. As a pure FPS I'm not convinced yet. But the potential is in seemless transition from flight combat to FPS, freefall combat, and emphasis on 'realism' rather than twitchy combat, more like Arma rather than CoD. The bones of that are there, but the implementation still needs a lot of work.

My limited experience consisted of me getting ambushed and gunned down while landing at a space station, before I knew that there were guns to be found in the module. After that I was always careful to make sure the coast was clear when I land. So later I was exploring a different station, and noticed someone plinking my shields. Well, a guy with a submachine gun doesn't fare too well against space fighter grade weapons. I didn't even have to feel guilty about it since he shot first.
  #110  
Old 07-16-2016, 03:14 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,511
Bumping this because some players seem to be tired of waiting...and one player demanded, and got, a refund.
  #111  
Old 07-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,782
Six months on, any Doper updates?
  #112  
Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Lok is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northwest Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Six months on, any Doper updates?
You know. I think I backed this thing. I should check and see what is happening with it.
__________________
Lok
----------------
"I am madly in love with Lok and wish to have his beautiful children. I also wish to leave my entire (quite subsantial) estate to him when I die, which might now be quite suddenly." - auRa
  #113  
Old 07-16-2016, 08:05 PM
smiling bandit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 16,953
So, after people answered me questions late last year, (and a hearty Thanks! to everyone who answered), I got very interested in this game from an industry standpoint. I should point out here that I am 100% not an expert in any sense. I do not make games, don't invest in the industry, and don't do games reporting or anything. At the same time, I find the industry fascinating and like to research everything relating to that.

If people are interested, there's a free-fly option next week, where you can download and play for a week. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ly-week-trial/

Push come to shove, I hope things turn out well, but admittedly it doesn't seem likely. After years of development, the games still in alpha and doesn't realistically seem close to market-ready.
  #114  
Old 07-18-2016, 08:17 PM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 5,662
I read a while that Roberts and co was being investigated by the ftc or something close to that (might of been a state agency ) because people were starting to complain that they were getting ripped off .... was there something to that ?
  #115  
Old 07-18-2016, 09:00 PM
Battle Pope is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Bumping this because some players seem to be tired of waiting...and one player demanded, and got, a refund.
I finally got jack of waiting for any sort of development past being a starship buying simulator and just a few days ago sent them a cancellation/refund request citing the relevant sections of Australian consumer law plus websites (including the fact that blanket 'no refund's' doesn't fly under the laws here.

No response yet. If I get a refund fine, if I don't then I'll consider it US$35 lost and not deal with them again.
  #116  
Old 07-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Ethilrist is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 26,947
Co-worker who's a big fan just said they pushed out an update a few weeks ago that left a lot of older machines in the dust, so now it looks like even if it ever does ship, my machine won't run it.
  #117  
Old 07-18-2016, 10:43 PM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Pope View Post
I finally got jack of waiting for any sort of development past being a starship buying simulator and just a few days ago sent them a cancellation/refund request citing the relevant sections of Australian consumer law plus websites (including the fact that blanket 'no refund's' doesn't fly under the laws here.

No response yet. If I get a refund fine, if I don't then I'll consider it US$35 lost and not deal with them again.
You should contact whoever in Australia is in charge of consumer protection. I honestly believe that the only way this game ever gets finished is if people start demanding (and actually getting) refunds. Otherwise Roberts just gets to keep paying him and his wife a handsome salary out of their enormous pile of money.
  #118  
Old 07-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Battle Pope is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
You should contact whoever in Australia is in charge of consumer protection. I honestly believe that the only way this game ever gets finished is if people start demanding (and actually getting) refunds. Otherwise Roberts just gets to keep paying him and his wife a handsome salary out of their enormous pile of money.
If they do try to dodge out of things I will at least forward their email onto Consumer Affairs to get their take on the matter.
  #119  
Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Battle Pope is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,556
Just bumping this to note that after a few back-and-forth emails I've been issued a full refund (and had my entire account closed as a small "FU" apparently) so it is possible.
  #120  
Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 AM
CandidGamera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 10,913
Honestly, I think the minimum specs have edged past my PC at this point, so whatever they eventually deliver won't be useful to me in the way that was promised. I wonder if it's worth pursuing a refund for myself on that basis.
  #121  
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Battle Pope is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,556
It may be but you'll probably need to be able to quote the specific consumer law that you are invoking in your state or country and send them a link a website.

For instance: a blanket 'no refunds' policy isn't legal under Australia's consumer law so no matter what their TOS says it won't fly as a reason to not refund.
  #122  
Old 07-26-2016, 10:32 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,511
If you want to get a refund, you may want to take a look at this handy little guide.
  #123  
Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 PM
Battle Pope is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Thanks. That made for fascinating reading.
  #124  
Old 07-27-2016, 08:25 AM
CandidGamera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 10,913
May not be worth the hassle, I only pledged at a low level.
  #125  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,079
So uh... they showed alpha 3.0 live at Gamescom, and my faith in this game has been restored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg

The technology on display here is beyond anything I've ever seen, beyond anything any AAA game has even ever attempted.

This looks AMAZING. The little boy in me who dreamed of playing a game like this was just jumping up and down gleefully while watching that demo.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-22-2016 at 01:18 PM.
  #126  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,079
Gonna finish up the demo tonight, but man, I'm just in awe f this game.

Of course with the flop and disappointment and outright lies we got from No Man's Sky, I'm still worried about what will actually ship, but so far it just looks amazing.

Can you imagine the Cecil Adams, Piloted by the brave crew of the Straight Dope?
  #127  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,828
As a tech demo it is impressive. Thing is, the game has been an impressive demo/idea for many years and many millions of dollars.
  #128  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
As a tech demo it is impressive. Thing is, the game has been an impressive demo/idea for many years and many millions of dollars.
Isn't that all games though?

I hear most games are glorified tech demos, if even that up until close to release. This game is doing stuff no one else is, and we are seeing results. Maybe not as fast as we would like, but it seems to be happening.
  #129  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Duke of Rat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Front and Center
Posts: 5,928
PCs will have been replaced by thought control neural interface modules by the time they release the thing.
  #130  
Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Rat View Post
PCs will have been replaced by thought control neural interface modules by the time they release the thing.
Even better!
  #131  
Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,511
You were impressed by yet another spiffy demo at a show? Not interested, unless he allows you to buy the demo and take it home with you. Did they happen to mention a release date and/or the updated equipment requirements for this newest speculative version?
  #132  
Old 08-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,782
If this game delivers on its promises (and part of that includes the game not being Pay-to-Win in favor of the folks who have spend hundreds and thousands of dollar at this point), then I will be first in line to pick up a copy.

But I'll believe it when I see it, and not a moment before. A tech demo at a convention is not proof that Roberts is not continuing to rip off his backers.
  #133  
Old 08-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
You were impressed by yet another spiffy demo at a show? Not interested, unless he allows you to buy the demo and take it home with you. Did they happen to mention a release date and/or the updated equipment requirements for this newest speculative version?
I believe there's an update hitting in a few days that will have planet/moon surfaces, but stuff from the demo they showed at Gamescom is not scheduled for release until early next year.

And yeah, I was totally impressed. I don't think you can watch it and not be, unless you have no interest in the genre. I don't think there's a release date, and I doubt the game will come out in 1.0 form until at least 2018.

It took Bioware from 2002 to 2009 to put out Dragon Age: Origins. With full scale development starting in 2004. I have no doubts this is a much bigger undertaking. Totally see the point of not being excited until well, closer to 2018, assuming it shows up by then, but this stuff is extremely impressive form a technology and gameplay perspective.

As a space nerd and well, loving space games since I was a kid, its hard not to be excited, even as I absolutely agree that there's a possibility this is not going to pan out as expected.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-22-2016 at 03:15 PM.
  #134  
Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM
drachillix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 192.168.0.1
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
As a space nerd and well, loving space games since I was a kid, its hard not to be excited, even as I absolutely agree that there's a possibility this is not going to pan out as expected.
The inside/outside bases being part of the same instance is a very nice touch, especially since it has historically been just random people walking by as graphics vs seeing the actual players running around.

The "assist" with the last pirate was good for a chuckle as well.
  #135  
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 PM
drachillix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 192.168.0.1
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera View Post
May not be worth the hassle, I only pledged at a low level.
I have "bumped" my ship a few times and currently own:

A RSI Constellation - Tarus
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...llation-Taurus

A Drake Cutlass Red
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...ss/Cutlass-Red

Although I am a huge fanboy, I do have a few doubts. I am very happy to see the recent demo and feel like more of the pieces are dropping into place.

I am not even considering requesting a refund at this point. Yeah, its been forever, but the money was spent long ago... I will just be happy to be starting with a ship than can fit a newbie ships in its cargo bay (I think an aurora will just barely fit)
  #136  
Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
I have "bumped" my ship a few times and currently own:

A RSI Constellation - Tarus
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...llation-Taurus

A Drake Cutlass Red
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...ss/Cutlass-Red

Although I am a huge fanboy, I do have a few doubts. I am very happy to see the recent demo and feel like more of the pieces are dropping into place.

I am not even considering requesting a refund at this point. Yeah, its been forever, but the money was spent long ago... I will just be happy to be starting with a ship than can fit a newbie ships in its cargo bay (I think an aurora will just barely fit)
How much money would you estimate you have put into this game so far, including any startup money donated(if any)?
  #137  
Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Me, I'm happy spending 60 bucks on No Man's Sky, which will likely also be a letdown in comparison to its hype.
Well I was right about the letdown bit, but wrong about being happy to spend the money. I haven't bought the game yet and probably won't until I can get it for cheaper (or the devs put out some major content updates).
  #138  
Old 08-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Teuton's Avatar
Teuton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK
Posts: 1,752
I'm updating my copy again to have a look at any changes since last time. I haven't actually paid any money into it at all - I got a copy of the game and a flyable ship with my graphics card, but I have no intention at all in paying more money for another ship.
  #139  
Old 08-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Teuton's Avatar
Teuton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK
Posts: 1,752
Played a bit, there's a fair amount more than last time I played, but it's still very obviously alpha.

Impressive, though. You now wake up in a bunk, make your way through a graphically impressive base - you can look out through the windows and see people's ships on the landing pads outside. You talk to the computer, get your ship ready to launch, and then you can go outside with your suit on and walk your way over to your pad. Get into the ship, take off, fly around a bit.


As I said earlier in the thread, I think I'd be a lot more excited about this if Elite Dangerous hadn't come along and got a lot more of the groundwork in, with plans for more into the future. There's still no 'game' here.
  #140  
Old 08-23-2016, 03:12 PM
drachillix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 192.168.0.1
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
How much money would you estimate you have put into this game so far, including any startup money donated(if any)?
Thats about $250 for both of them, but they both started as much cheaper ships that I bumped up $20-30 at a time over the last few years. Initial investment was $120.
  #141  
Old 08-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,782
So if we take its eventual release as a given, how much (or what pieces) of the promised gameplay would you need in order to feel like you've gotten your money's worth?
  #142  
Old 08-23-2016, 03:52 PM
drachillix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 192.168.0.1
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
So if we take its eventual release as a given, how much (or what pieces) of the promised gameplay would you need in order to feel like you've gotten your money's worth?
I tend to look at kickstarters as a crapshoot. So if it fails, it fails, as a self employed person I spend way more on ideas that didnt work out all the time. I also regularly purchase early access games on steam. A few times I have been disappointed, but more often I got a decent game I was happy with.

My "guideline" if you will is $1 an hour. If I spend $30 on a game and it amused me for 30 hours, I am a happy customer.
  #143  
Old 10-19-2016, 05:05 PM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,782
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/10/13...itizencon-2016

Somebody mentioned this to me today - I hadn't checked on the game in a while. Squadron 42 has been delayed until some time next year (no date), and the team is going to slow its release schedule, possibly only doing quarterly releases.

Any backers have insight about the current state of the alpha?
  #144  
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/10/13...itizencon-2016

Somebody mentioned this to me today - I hadn't checked on the game in a while. Squadron 42 has been delayed until some time next year (no date), and the team is going to slow its release schedule, possibly only doing quarterly releases.

Any backers have insight about the current state of the alpha?
From your link:
Quote:
Roberts revealed that the pre-sale of the most recent new ship, the RSI Polaris, resulted in their most successful day of crowdfunding yet. The virtual ship costs $750, and is not yet playable in-game.

The Star Citizen website claims that the game project has raised a total of more than $127 million dollars.
750 bucks for a virtual ship.
For a game that isn't playable yet, and has no projected release date for one small section of it, let alone the whole thing.

edited to add: Perhaps the thread title should be modified to read "Star Citizen is the far, far Future of PC Gaming..."?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 10-19-2016 at 07:37 PM.
  #145  
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 PM
msmith537 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,634
I don't get it? People are buy an unfinished game you can't even play yet? In some cases, spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars for in game content? That's insane. I've bought "in development" games before (DayZ and Space Engineers). But I only spent like $25 and got hundreds or thousands of hours of mostly quality gameplay. I didn't buy No Man's Sky because the reviews cut it to pieces.

Sorry, but I just don't get it. Are people afraid they will run out of copies once it's released?

Last edited by msmith537; 10-19-2016 at 07:48 PM.
  #146  
Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 PM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 41,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
From your link:
750 bucks for a virtual ship.
Look, I have to say it 'cause someone's going to; who owns this game company, Donald Trump?
  #147  
Old 10-19-2016, 09:50 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,511
I think it's an emotional investment the investors have-they have literally spent too much time and too much money to admit that they blew it and, like a gambler that has blown the paycheck and should have left the casino many hours ago, they feel the only way they can retain their honor is to double-down on the bet and pray it pays off.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 10-19-2016 at 09:52 PM.
  #148  
Old 10-20-2016, 06:27 AM
SenorBeef is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 28,271
People are so damn impatient. I don't know why people are treating this as vaporware. We're regularing seeing new, extended footage with new features all the time. A game like this could easily take 5 or 6 years to develop. It's a huge, ambitious, revolutionary game. It's not a yearly installment of Call of Duty that changed 3 minor things.

It's just that usually when this happens, it's kept quiet until a year or two until it's ready to release. So people aren't used to hearing about a game for 6 years, so they assume that means this one was vaporware. But obviously given the crowd funding and business model, this one couldn't have received 4 years of silent development before announcement.

I don't know why people get so excited for a game that they get angry constantly that it isn't out yet. Just wait until it's released and see then if it's worthwhile.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 10-20-2016 at 06:29 AM.
  #149  
Old 10-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,025
For one thing: $750 for a ship that has a possibility of never arriving.

A $60 pre-order gets you all het up but this doesn't? The mind boggles.
  #150  
Old 10-20-2016, 12:48 PM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 41,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
People are so damn impatient. I don't know why people are treating this as vaporware. We're regularing seeing new, extended footage with new features all the time. A game like this could easily take 5 or 6 years to develop. It's a huge, ambitious, revolutionary game. It's not a yearly installment of Call of Duty that changed 3 minor things.
I can totally understand that. What I do not understand is people paying huge amounts of money for it. $750 for a ship? For $750 I want a piece of the action. Stock in the company.

Games take many years and millions to develop and make. But so do movies. I'll pay my money to see the next Batman movie when it's actually a finished product ready for me to enjoy it.

If Star Citizen ever happens, I'll buy it and enjoy it for $60. Until then it is flatly insane to pay hundreds of dollars for "ships" in a game that is not actually a game.

Last edited by RickJay; 10-20-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017