Old 06-15-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
I wish VidiotMaps (or, even better, the actual in-game maps) would label the darned neighborhoods. I'm always getting missions that tell me to defeat mobs in a zone, and go on to say, "They're mostly in such-and-such neighborhoods", because that's not much help if you don't know where those neighborhoods are.
Each neighborhood has a white dot marking it. If you hover over it, the name of the neighborhood pops up. However, you do have to uncover the marker by exploring that part of the map to see it (or you can use the Reveal power to clear the fog from the map).

It would be nice to have them visible all the time, but it might be hard to make them readable at the default map scale, and the map is already pretty busy.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:17 PM

Looking at my stuff on City Info Tracker, I see that the original Flaminatrix had about 304 million Inf at sundown. I'm trying to remember, now, if I was doing something in particular to make that inf, or if it was just a matter of the veterans at that time having so much inf that they could just throw 10 million at whatever I posted on the AH.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Finally got around to downloading Tequila. What server(s) are we playing on?
Quote:
I wish VidiotMaps (or, even better, the actual in-game maps) would label the darned neighborhoods. I'm always getting missions that tell me to defeat mobs in a zone, and go on to say, "They're mostly in such-and-such neighborhoods", because that's not much help if you don't know where those neighborhoods are.
I wonder if my ancient hardcopy maps, which do show where neighborhoods are, would be of any use.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Looking at my stuff on City Info Tracker, I see that the original Flaminatrix had about 304 million Inf at sundown. I'm trying to remember, now, if I was doing something in particular to make that inf, or if it was just a matter of the veterans at that time having so much inf that they could just throw 10 million at whatever I posted on the AH.
The new "middle" route to Inf, for those who don't want to do complicated market stuff, seems to be enhancement converters. You can buy them in substantial quantity with reward merits, and they generally sell for around 200K each.

If you haven't looked at them, the converters are basically gambling chips. You can use them to turn one enhancement to another random enhancement. There are a bunch of different options you can select for the re-roll, and market players use converters to turn cheap enhancements into valuable ones, which they can then sell. (And the market auto-attunes them, for the ones that people want attuned. I can go into that a bit more, if anyone cares, but there are better explanations than I can give on the Homecoming forums.)

The consequence of all this is that there's a steady demand for converters, because market players burn through a lot of them.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:45 PM

I did recently discover the Converter thing. I've bought and auctioned a few of those on characters that weren't having any luck getting rare salvage drops to sell. For my low-level alts, auctioning a single piece of rare salvage usually gets 450k-700k, which is more or less sufficient to pay for all that toon's enhancement needs until they start getting into SOs - and at this point, only my main, Flaminatrix, has gotten into SOs. She's 4-5 bubbles away from dinging 30. Everybody else is at 20 or below.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I just entered Everlasting as one of my later alts. Comstock the Blaster (Dual Pistols/Mind), an Old West gunfighter who was wrongly convicted and put to death. The death didn't quite take.

Never got to do much with him before NC pulled the plug.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
My alt-itis is kicking in again.
Tell me about it. Comstock is only level 5 and now I'm wanting to recreate some of my other alts that never got played much.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Tell me about it. Comstock is only level 5 and now I'm wanting to recreate some of my other alts that never got played much.
I've recreated my favorites and a couple that I never really got around to playing. I haven't recreated my Old West character, though. (Liberty Valence, a zombified gunslinger animated by a lightning strike on his grave. I liked his look and the name, but he was an AR/Elec Blaster, which turned out to not be my cup of tea at all.)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
I've recreated my favorites and a couple that I never really got around to playing. I haven't recreated my Old West character, though. (Liberty Valence, a zombified gunslinger animated by a lightning strike on his grave. I liked his look and the name, but he was an AR/Elec Blaster, which turned out to not be my cup of tea at all.)
Brainiac keeps wanting to play through old sets, so the highest character I have is Eliza. I never played through a lot of types - I never got a controller past 30, never got a tank into the 20s - so I want to play new characters.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Yep, I've already recreated another alt; this time with a more fitting name. Elec/Elec Blaster, name of Tarmonpesae (actually supposed to be Tarmonpesš but the client can't handle special characters). Started him off in Praetoria.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-23-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
Brainiac keeps wanting to play through old sets, so the highest character I have is Eliza. I never played through a lot of types - I never got a controller past 30, never got a tank into the 20s - so I want to play new characters.
Well, one of the alts I recreated has a completely different build--Little Tin God was a Titan Weapons/Willpower scrapper on Live, and now he's a Dark/Time controller (both sets I've never played). He's got the same name, appearance, and backstory, though, so I consider him the same character.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Just added Cerulean Cool (Ice/Shield Scrapper), the ordinary PPD officer who found a shield generator while on patrol.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Well, one of the alts I recreated has a completely different build--Little Tin God was a Titan Weapons/Willpower scrapper on Live, and now he's a Dark/Time controller (both sets I've never played). He's got the same name, appearance, and backstory, though, so I consider him the same character.
Eliza did get guns - kinetic blast as a secondary was horrible on her. Guns is far more fun.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:24 PM

Flaminatrix dinged 31 this afternoon, after going through an insanely long storyline revolving around the Circle of Thorns and the Banished Pantheon (with a bit of Warriors tossed in for fun) - the Scroll of Tielekku (sp?) storyline. Fun arc, but I'm thinking it would be cool if I could stumble into a storyline involving villain groups that drop Mutation enhancements. I keep ending up fighting Magic groups.

Anyway, I plowed through most of that story arc without stopping, so the recipes and salvage just piled up. I was able to return to base and craft myself a great big stack of IOs. I had to withdraw a good number of common salvage from the racks, but once I was finished I deposited all of my remaining common salvage.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Flaminatrix dinged 31 this afternoon, after going through an insanely long storyline revolving around the Circle of Thorns and the Banished Pantheon (with a bit of Warriors tossed in for fun) - the Scroll of Tielekku (sp?) storyline. Fun arc, but I'm thinking it would be cool if I could stumble into a storyline involving villain groups that drop Mutation enhancements. I keep ending up fighting Magic groups.

Anyway, I plowed through most of that story arc without stopping, so the recipes and salvage just piled up. I was able to return to base and craft myself a great big stack of IOs. I had to withdraw a good number of common salvage from the racks, but once I was finished I deposited all of my remaining common salvage.
Magic seems to be the best origin for drops.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:01 PM

I put some Science SOs in the base storage thingy. Think they are about level 30. My main, Kahbueme, is magic origin and can't use them.

Speaking of him, Kahbueme is level 33 now. Mostly solo, with an occasional team. think I've run two task forces...Posi 1 and Moonfire.

My brute is 18. so I guess I need to read up on how to get from Imperial City back to the regular game world.

My corrupter is 17, living large on the red side.

I think my next alt will be a recreation of my old main, Invulnerable/Super Strength Tanker named Angus McKenzie.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:24 PM

My Martial Art/Invuln scrapper, Swift Justice, recently hit 20. I wish I had more time to play. I have so much fun with him.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
My brute is 18. so I guess I need to read up on how to get from Imperial City back to the regular game world.
IIRC, the Praetorian storyline ends with sending you to Paragon.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
IIRC, the Praetorian storyline ends with sending you to Paragon.
At level 20, I believe. So you can literally shoot your way there.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:25 PM

I was firmly established on Excelsior before the SDMB picked a server, so I would only be a tourist on Everlasting, but might pop by occasionally.

Highest is a 31 Savage Melee/Willpower Scrapper, the American Pit Bull. Talk about Willpower, I went to bed at 31.9, postponing the capstone primary power I'd get at 32, heh.

But I have several mid-level characters now...altitis indeed.

The Stormy Knight: 28 Storm/Dark Defender. Gosh I love Storm.

The Longbowman: 26 Archery/Tactical Arrow Blaster

The Great Wave: 23 Water/Martial Blaster

Annapurna: 20 Ice/Time Controller

Ironclad: 16 Inv/SS Tanker

...and, let's see...28 others...heh.

One observation I'm dying to share: I've read a lot of praise for the "ranged powers only, no blapping" composition of the Tactical Arrow secondary. I have been enjoying it. BUT, that said, when I started leveling the 23 Water/Martial Blaster, I rediscovered how much I like blapping. And /martial is a great secondary for blapping, because the sustain power has a PBAoE slow and flee effect. So instead of everybody and his brother pounding me into a grease spot while I melee, the effect is "everyone is slowly running around mostly ignoring me and trying to get out of the radius" while I kick the ever-loving bejeebers out of one of them. The slow/flee is really great for getting into melee range. Add to that there's a teleport-into-the-pack PBAoE attack (I forget the name), which is a great way to close in after the water blasts are on cooldown. Not sure how great it is for damage, as I have nothing slotted in it so far.

Last edited by Sailboat; 06-26-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:34 PM

Ah, the joys of trying to hit +1 mobs at low levels. Fighting a Vahz Reaper on my level 16, magic-origin, SS/Inv brute, and he's down to that last sliver of health:

JAB! (misses)

PUNCH! (misses)

HAYMAKER! (misses)

KNOCKOUT BL... oh, it's still on cooldown.

Screw it.

APPRENTICE CHARM!

"You have defeated Reaper"

Last edited by Mister Rik; 06-26-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
I was firmly established on Excelsior before the SDMB picked a server, so I would only be a tourist on Everlasting, but might pop by occasionally.
If you have a community and such on Excelsior, I totally understand, but they are offering server migration tokens so you could move if you wanted to.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:02 PM

The Croatoa story arcs are a pain in the ass. All of them seem to love the "Kill x of mob y at location Z" type missions, and then the spawn rate for the type of mob you need in that location is unreasonably low. Spent hours there getting little experience just flying around looking for the right type of mob.

My Brute ended up staying in Praetoria until level 21 to finish up a Penelope Yin arc.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

General Kaos (orignally Gen. Chaos) the Robitics/Kinetics Mastermind has joined my alts as a Villain. Unlike Gen. Chaos, his pets are being named after KAOS members.
Quote:
Yep, I've already recreated another alt; this time with a more fitting name. Elec/Elec Blaster, name of Tarmonpesae (actually supposed to be Tarmonpesš but the client can't handle special characters). Started him off in Praetoria.
I'm pretty sure this blaster is now higher than his original incarnation as Phasenleitung; I don't recall ever getting Phase out of the Hollows.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I recently remembered having a Hero with a War Mace somewhere. Can't recall the name or the secondary so this will somewhat new. Being so close to the Fourth, I've added Emory "The Star-Spangled Bammer" LaCasse, wielding a giant tenderizer (actually just a standard Mace).
Old 07-06-2019, 04:01 PM

Holy crap I'm enjoying my SS/Rad brute ("Roentgen Bull") now that he's into the 20s. He's been doing missions involving the Tsoo and the Family, which means the mission maps are so full of mobs, so close together, that he can just go go go as his fury builds up up up. It's a blast one-shotting mobs with Knockout Blow.

He just picked up the "Rage" power, and I was really surprised at how long the effect lasts. He ran into the last room of a map, hit Rage, then clobbered the named boss in about three hits. Then he looked around, saw how many more mobs were still in the room and thought, "I can't let all this rage go to waste!" and proceeded to annihilate the entire room before the rage finally wore off. It was exhilarating!

Meanwhile, Flaminatrix, my Fire/Fire blaster, hit level 35 while working on Provost Marchand's "New Praetorians" story arc. Quite a difficult fight on the last mission of the first arc - fighting an elite boss named "Silver Sable" (or Silver-something). Killed me in no time flat on my first attempt. On the second attempt it occurred to me to stay airborne and out of melee range. It still took forever, and I had to pound through all 15 purple inspirations I was carrying, but I finally got her. Was rather disappointed with only getting 6 Reward Merits after all that.

Last edited by Mister Rik; 07-06-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:06 PM

If I go on that one website and manage to find my old toons, will they be the same level they were when I last played them?
Old 07-06-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
If I go on that one website and manage to find my old toons, will they be the same level they were when I last played them?
No. All of the data on accounts and characters is gone.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:30 PM

Okay, so I'm doing the right thing to just re-create them from memory as best I can. Thanks!

ETA: There's a lot I forgot about so it's cool having my memories challenged. I like the interface as far as talking to NPCs, opening doors, using ladders, etc. The graphics are a bit dated, but so far the game is fun to play like I remembered. Thanks to everyone here for this thread!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-06-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Wait; I was just told that all old info was gone, I thought.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:42 PM

The City Info Tracker should retain some information about your characters, if you recorded it there, but as Dangerosa said, the character data is gone. CIT isn't connected to the game itself in any way, but if you used it before, it may have character portraits, backstories, badge info, and stats for whichever characters you tracked. (So Mister Rik can see how much influence his character had when the servers went dark, but that doesn't earn the new copy of Flaminatrix any cash.)

It's a useful memory aid if you're recreating characters--I have copied and pasted several of my backstories from there into the game, for one thing--but you have to start the characters themselves from scratch.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Ah ok; thanks. I can't recall if I even used it back in the day; prolly not. I'll just keep on keeping' on.

Does it matter what server I am on for grouping purposes? Where is everyone else?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-06-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
The City Info Tracker should retain some information about your characters, if you recorded it there, but as Dangerosa said, the character data is gone. CIT isn't connected to the game itself in any way, but if you used it before, it may have character portraits, backstories, badge info, and stats for whichever characters you tracked. (So Mister Rik can see how much influence his character had when the servers went dark, but that doesn't earn the new copy of Flaminatrix any cash.)

It's a useful memory aid if you're recreating characters--I have copied and pasted several of my backstories from there into the game, for one thing--but you have to start the characters themselves from scratch.
Yeah, I've mainly used it to remind myself of power sets when I'm recreating an old character. Unfortunately, before I discovered it was still there, I recreated one character based solely on old screenshots, and thought she was using Martial Arts. Turned out it should have been Street Justice. And should have been Willpower instead of Ninjitsu. But by that time she was past level 10 and I didn't feel like starting her over. Though I'm really disliking the way Ninjitsu's stealth ability is combined with a speed boost. I really don't like sprinting everywhere when I'm indoors, particularly on maps like the blue caves. I end up constantly bouncing off walls.

Even normal Run speed can get too fast - I'm considering just slotting a level 30 Run Speed IO as the "cap" on that.

Snowboarder Bo: We're mostly on Everlasting.

Last edited by Mister Rik; 07-06-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Bo's Minion, a Mastermind Villian, is now on Everlasting.

I got to level 5 fairly quickly and easily. Flying is da bomb.

Lots of things I had forgotten about, like how good the quest stories are. And how bad the caves are. Combat is nice and slow, just like EQ. Sure wish the instances had doors at the far end so I didn't have to run all the way back to the entrance.

So far: tons of fun. That part is how I remember it.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Sure wish the instances had doors at the far end so I didn't have to run all the way back to the entrance.
Click the "Exit" button at the top of your screen and it will teleport you out.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:22 PM

Thanks! I'll look for it next time.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:14 AM

I've been lurking for a while, just wanted to say thanks for this.

I used to play CoH back in the day. Now I have to go get a new video card for my computer so that I can play it again!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

So, forgive a perhaps foolish question... but the game (back when it was official) was on a subscription model, right? I presume that that's no longer the case? My main reason for not playing MMOs is the subscription, and I might be looking for a new game soon...
Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
So, forgive a perhaps foolish question... but the game (back when it was official) was on a subscription model, right? I presume that that's no longer the case? My main reason for not playing MMOs is the subscription, and I might be looking for a new game soon...
Itís 100% free. No need to purchase a game or pay a subscription. It was revived by people who loved the game and wanted to bring it back, and they arenít making money off of it. There have been limited donations to support it but everything is voluntary.

Iím certain the moment it starts becoming a money-making venture, NCSoft will flex their legal muscles (or threaten legal action) and it will vanish. The folks behind the game know it too which is why I donít expect the 100% free model to change. As it is, you canít be certain the game wonít be shut down at some point even if it does continue this way.

If all thatís stopping you from not playing is money, donít worry. All it requires is your time to make an account and download the client. (And presumably you have a PC capable of running the game.)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
If all thatís stopping you from not playing is money, donít worry. All it requires is your time to make an account and download the client. (And presumably you have a PC capable of running the game.)
NB: the client will not install on a tablet, at least not on my Surface Pro. Puts up a notice that a prerequisite is missing but there's a blank area where it's supposed to say what that prerequisite is.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
NB: the client will not install on a tablet, at least not on my Surface Pro. Puts up a notice that a prerequisite is missing but there's a blank area where it's supposed to say what that prerequisite is.
In my experience the main obstacle to being able to run the game is having the right video card. Though who knows.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:57 PM

Just wanted to say that Bo's Minion is now 12 and having a blast.

I also have a tank, Bohemoth, who is level 6. He's a bunch of fun too.

Is there a way to check Infamy points? I keep seeing them awarded but I have no idea how to check on them or use them for anything (if that's what they're for, even).

I'm really loving the old-school vibe in Chat. Lots of people looking for groups, lots of people asking questions and actually getting them answered, and only occasionally is there an extended conversation about something. But it's active and useful is the main thing; I like that.

So glad I decided to look in this thread!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is there a way to check Infamy points? I keep seeing them awarded but I have no idea how to check on them or use them for anything (if that's what they're for, even).
They're for buying stuff for your characters, mainly Inspirations and Enhancements, from Vendors.

Changing your character's costume parts can also cost Infamy/Information/Influence (the latter two are what Paragon City and Praetoria calls it).
Old 07-09-2019, 10:27 AM

Oh okay; thanks. I didn't realize I was gaining spending Inf- at the vendors. I just saw numbers.

Also, I do kinda hate how all the CoV areas are cloudy and nasty looking. It'd be nice if the sun shone once in a while, ya know what I'm sayin'?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-09-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

The bins in our base for salvage and inspirations are mostly full. Please grab whatever you need. Really! Throw in whatever you don't.

Here are some helpful hints for new players:

Paragon Wiki has everything you need to know to play the game. But it can be overwhelming large info-dump.

I suggest reading a hero archetype guide and a villain archetype guide to get an idea what each archetype can do. Once you decide on an archetype, read all the archetype's available power sets on the Paragon Wiki.

You can also figure out power sets by running a hero designer application. You can go through all the choices you'll have to make as your hero increases in level. Works for villains, too, of course.

Once you've created your character in-game, you'll have the option to start in Outbreak (hero), Breakout (villain), or the Praetorian tutorial zone. This also determines you're alignment (so that hero archetypes can start as villains and vice versa).

Type the command (without quotes) in the chatbox: "/bind i info". When you press the I key, you'll get a pop-up window of whatever you're targeting (or yourself if you're not). Almost all the NPCs have interesting back stories and many players do as well.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I also have a tank, Bohemoth, who is level 6. He's a bunch of fun too.
Kudos on that name. Itís clever.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Thanks! All my toon names have Bo in them somewhere; it amuses me.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:14 AM

... Fuck it, why not. All hail the Rockets' Green Glare, your new neighbourhood nuclear tankie villain
Old 07-09-2019, 12:07 PM

One of us, one of us!

Bo, to answer part of your question: \d will bring up your character info. You can see how much inf you have down near the bottom.

Also you can edit (or paste in from another source) a small biography, 1024 characters. It doesn't have to be a straight-up bio (name/age/powers) or origin story. I use that space for all sorts of creativity -- poems, song fragments, security threat analyses, mood pieces, and so on. The small amount of text permitted is a challenge, but in a good way -- nobody wants to read your 46-page tale of teen angst, but a thumbnail summing up might be amusing -- and you could include a link to a web page where you've posted the other 45.7 pages for those who ARE interested.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Last day or so I've been toying with a Gravity/Storm Controller. Windy is a mutant who can control air pressure to crush objects or pin them in place (the Gravity powers sub for this, as the tentative Wind Control set was never made live) or just plain manipulate the weather. So far I am vastly amused by Propelling random objects into the faces of various malefactors.

General advice for new players: each archetype has a unique inherent power (sometimes more than one). Learn the inherent for each character, as they can have a significant effect on your play.

Overall I'd say that Masterminds, followed by Controllers, are the most different from traditional classes in other MMOs. That doesn't make them easy for beginners, of course, but it does suggest that trying those ATs out is part of the unique experience of playing CoH.