Old 07-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Last day or so I've been toying with a Gravity/Storm Controller. Windy is a mutant who can control air pressure to crush objects or pin them in place (the Gravity powers sub for this, as the tentative Wind Control set was never made live) or just plain manipulate the weather. So far I am vastly amused by Propelling random objects into the faces of various malefactors.

I had a Gravity/Ice villain, forgot which AT. Auntie Grav resembled a little Italian grandmother in a blue & white track suit.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:42 PM

One thing I really, really like is the incredible variety in character appearance. It's fun to just make a toon in CoH.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
One thing I really, really like is the incredible variety in character appearance. It's fun to just make a toon in CoH.
No kidding. I’ve got some variety...

Swift Justice, a standard spandex guy in tights and cape. Red white and blue, Stars and Stripes, etc. A speedster with invulnerability and martial arts, he’s my golden age guy.

Dr. Thunder, inspired by a Wal Mart store brand knock-off of Dr Pepper. He is in shiny silver and maroon, same colors as the can. He fights with electricity melee attacks.

Killer Eel, a hulking fish-man with electricity aura.

Rainmaster, dressed in fancy grey and blue tailored clothes, has a persistent storm cloud around his feet, has water blast and weather control powers.

Erl King, looks like an undead Celtic warrior, has necromancy and time control powers.

Battlebeetle, a bug-like robot who zips around slashing with his robotic claws.

My personal favorite though is Blue Collar Bill. He has a knit dockworker hat, handlebar mustache, craggy old face, bright orange vest over a green t-shirt and patched jeans, and work boots. He looks like he just got done from a construction job. He has axe and shield powers, but in appearance he’s wielding a shovel and manhole cover. And he’s a badass, I love knocking supervillains around with his shovel. He’s the kind of guy that you’d hear stories about at a dive bar.

These are just some of my characters.

Last edited by Atamasama; 07-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:43 PM

Bo's Minion looks like me but is dressed like the Thugs he summons (he's a Mastermind). So when he runs around, it just looks like this huge street gang tearing thru a place.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:27 PM

Man, they've added so. many. options. for character looks and power customization since I last played. I don't think I'm ever getting out of the chargen.

Last edited by Kobal2; 07-09-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
My personal favorite though is Blue Collar Bill. He has a knit dockworker hat, handlebar mustache, craggy old face, bright orange vest over a green t-shirt and patched jeans, and work boots. He looks like he just got done from a construction job. He has axe and shield powers, but in appearance he’s wielding a shovel and manhole cover. And he’s a badass, I love knocking supervillains around with his shovel.

Let me guess : god gave him a gift. He shovels well. He shovels *really* well.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Let me guess : god gave him a gift. He shovels well. He shovels *really* well.

He could certainly team up with The Shoveler, maybe start a team called the Aces of Spades.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:30 PM

Oof.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 AM

I dig it.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Haven't remade on Homecoming, but my manhole cover character from pre-sunset (everyone who sees the manhole cover shield option must think, "what character would I use that for?" was the Gutter Knight, a delusional homeless Don Quixote who donned a bucket with a slit cut in it (medieval barrel helm) and took up a manhole cover and a monkey wrench to fight crime. The term "gutter knight" comes from Shakespeare and was employed to satirize the pretensions of minor nobility that had fallen on hard times.

Last edited by Sailboat; 07-10-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
The bins in our base for salvage and inspirations are mostly full. Please grab whatever you need. Really! Throw in whatever you don't.
Especially the mid-tier inspirations--I keep a Kora farm (a mission that gives you lots of tier 2 inspirations) to restock whenever necessary, so don't worry about us running out.

For players more familiar with potions and such from other games: inspirations are probably more powerful than you think. They work instantly and give pretty serious buffs that stack up to the stat caps. (The defense and mez protect inspirations are particularly useful for squishies, so I try to keep plenty of those on hand.) The game will be a lot easier if you use the ones that drop freely and pop into the base to stock up when you're expecting a tough fight.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
The game will be a lot easier if you use the ones that drop freely and pop into the base to stock up when you're expecting a tough fight.
Like Batman, be prepared.

Or after you lose a tough fight, choose to rez at the base instead of the hospital, grab a bunch inspirations, and then head back to the mission.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 PM

Is the Doper base for heroes or villains?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

OK, downloading now. I have no idea what to play. Can anyone suggest, first of all:

A flexible support-type, who has a variety of tricks to use for different situations. Someone who always says "I have just the thing to help with that!", but it's a different thing every time.

And second:
A pair of characters who complement each other well, and can between them handle most of the game content without any outside help.

The first would be mostly for playing with the rest of you'uns. The second would be for an old friend and I who get together every week to play co-op games.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, downloading now. I have no idea what to play. Can anyone suggest, first of all:

A flexible support-type, who has a variety of tricks to use for different situations. Someone who always says "I have just the thing to help with that!", but it's a different thing every time.

And second:
A pair of characters who complement each other well, and can between them handle most of the game content without any outside help.

The first would be mostly for playing with the rest of you'uns. The second would be for an old friend and I who get together every week to play co-op games.
Brainiac and I played a ton of duos. Almost anything will solo - and there are a ton of options. But Controller or Defender backing up a Blaster or a Scrapper is what we've done a lot of. One thing to watch when duo-ing is knockback - its really annoying for a single target scrapper type to have to run around and hit the stuff that's been knocked around. (That was the issue with the original Eliza (Empathy/Energy Defender) and Themocline (Fire/Ice Blaster) That and Energy blast does small amounts of damage turning Eliza into a difficult to solo character)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:

I love my Mastermind. My minions can solo almost anything, but it takes some creativity sometimes to get them out of sticky situations. The cool thing is that I can get them out of sticky situations.

In a group, tho, it's mostly damage and crowd control, although I seem to remember pulling for the tank a lot back in the day, I think.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-10-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

And I'm in. My account name is Chronos, and my first character is Dr. Clockwerk (gravity/time). Is there any way to add an accessory to a costume, or does that only work with certain powers?
Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
And I'm in. My account name is Chronos, and my first character is Dr. Clockwerk (gravity/time). Is there any way to add an accessory to a costume, or does that only work with certain powers?
What do you mean by accessory, exactly? Some things you can add, some depend on your powerset or specific powers.

There's no way to add an emanator for Grav or Time powers (like a gravity gun or something), if that's what you had in mind. Powersets that are specifically focused on weapons get some options for customizing the weapons.

For costume accessories, there's quite a variety. You'll either have to dig through them or give us more of an idea of what you're looking for, so we can point you toward likely places to look. Costume components can be combined in weird ways to produce lots of interesting effects.

Prestige powers are another option for accessorizing a look, but they will generally only be visible when the power is active. You could pick up the Nemesis Staff, if you want to be able to pull out a big staff with a sparking gear on the end, or a Clockwork buff pet that will follow you around (and die if anything sneezes on it). Some of the powers are quite useful--the Nemesis Staff, Blackwand, and the Ghost Slaying Axe are very popular, especially at low levels, because they fill out and balance attack chains. You can get these at the P2W vendors; there's one right by the Atlas statue, and you can select many of them for free. (Controllers in particular benefit from the prestige attack powers, even though they're not affected by Containment, just because they provide a lot of extra direct damage.)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is the Doper base for heroes or villains?
Are supergroups alignment-restricted anymore? I don't know.

Quote:
That would be a Defender, Corruptor, Controller, or Dominator. Details will depend on exactly which powersets you choose, and how you slot them.

Quote:
And second:
The standard answer is pick a non-squishy archetype (Tanker, Brute, Scrapper) and a squishy archetype (anything else). The non-squishies have defensive powers that help them survive direct attacks, especially mezzes (holds, immobilizations, sleeps, etc). Squishies have to survive by avoiding being attacked.

But really, anything plays well with anything else; City of Heroes emphatically does not use anything like the "trinity" of tank, heals, and damage. You can even have fun with the same archetype! Two Defenders can debuff foes so much that they can't be hurt, while buffing themselves to win faster. Two Controllers can lock down everything and safely pick them off. Two Tankers can increase the difficulty* and easily smash everything. Two Blasters or Scrappers will butcher everything.

I recommend you find characters that are fun for you to play and fit together well thematically. Have fun with the character names and costumes as a pair!

*If you click the chat bubble by the chat input line, you can choose how hard the game is. Keep it at default until you know what you're doing, but it's fun (and rewarding) to make it harder once you can handle it.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

By "accessory", I meant some item I could hold, purportedly as a focus for my powers. With as much customization as there is, I sort of thought there would be something like that available, but I guess not.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
By "accessory", I meant some item I could hold, purportedly as a focus for my powers. With as much customization as there is, I sort of thought there would be something like that available, but I guess not.
You'll have to wait for City of Titans for that kind of customization.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Some powers give you an object you can hold, like a weapon or shield, and you can customize that in the costume editor. Other than that, no. It’s much like Champions Online in that sense.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Another costume option that I'm sure must be there, and that I just didn't see, is a utility belt.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Another costume option that I'm sure must be there, and that I just didn't see, is a utility belt.
There are belt styles you can pick from, and a lot of them have pouches and other gadgets on them. Is that what you mean?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I looked through the belt styles, and didn't see one with pouches and gadgets, but I'm sure that was just me being selectively blind. Hey, it was late at night, I was tired.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:25 PM

I am enjoying some of the new (i25) Blaster secondaries, but I wish there was a source of info outside the game to look at them and compare. They're explicitly not in Paragonwiki, which apparently has deliberately decided not to host any post-Sunset content.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
Are supergroups alignment-restricted anymore? I don't know.
I don't know either; that's why I asked.

I saw instructions on how to add friends so I added @dangerosa, @thermocline and @balanced. The Chat window is tiny tho and I don't know how to check if people are online. Or how to send tells, for that matter. People keep asking me to do stuff and I can't figure out how to reply to them so I just say it in Broadcast.

Thanks for that tip on the game difficulty, by the way. I was thinking "ddamn, this is way easier than I remember"; now I can make it a little more challenging.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I looked through the belt styles, and didn't see one with pouches and gadgets, but I'm sure that was just me being selectively blind. Hey, it was late at night, I was tired.
There are a bunch of them, about midway thru the list, IIRC. I used to wear the big utility belt with a huge radio on it as a Mastermind. If you do, when they call their minions they pull the big walkie-talkie off their belt, there's a squelch of static and the thugs appear. Pretty cool little detail just for using a certain belt eh.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
People keep asking me to do stuff and I can't figure out how to reply to them so I just say it in Broadcast.
I believe that replying to someone involves typing the backspace key when you aren’t in a text field of any kind. I think I found that one out by accident.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
You'll find some utility-belt styles around the 30th down in the list. Tactical 1-3 have various arrangements of small pouches and ampules. Imperial Defense has larger, more obvious pouches. Official is a straight-up cop belt, with large pouches, radio, and a tonfa. Stealth is the last that I see, with small two-toned pouches.

Quote:
I saw instructions on how to add friends so I added @dangerosa, @thermocline and @balanced. The Chat window is tiny tho and I don't know how to check if people are online. Or how to send tells, for that matter. People keep asking me to do stuff and I can't figure out how to reply to them so I just say it in Broadcast.
If you click on Friends in the menu, it will expand a box with your friend list. You can see there which friends are online. The dropdown at the top of that box lets you switch to Global Friends, so you can see if those people are online, regardless of which character they're playing. For people who aren't on your list, you can select Team and click "Find Member". This brings up a search interface that lets you look for people by name, archetype, which map they're on, and so forth.

Quick chat guide:
1) The tiny little buttons just above where you type switch channels directly. If they're too small to read or click, clicking on the channel name brings up a dropdown list where you can choose the channel.

2) Send a message to someone directly with /t [name], [message]. /r [message] will send your message to whoever last sent you a tell. Hitting backspace while not in the chat pane will automatically fill in /r. Clicking on someone's name in chat brings up a menu that lets you send them a message (and various other things, like sending their team leader a message--useful if you want an invite to their team).

3) The little speech-bubble button at the right of the text box brings up the emote menu. Homecoming has also added a Notoriety selector to it, so you can adjust your difficulty level anywhere (although if you do it in a mission, you'll have to reload the mission for it to take effect).

4) It's widely considered good etiquette to send a tell before sending a team invite. This is sometimes waived if everyone is quickly assembling for an event, but it's generally nice to ask someone if they're interested before making a popup appear on their screen. Some people just reflexively dismiss blind invites.

5) Using Broadcast for everything tends to be considered noobish; that channel is best used for actual zone-specific events and questions, because it can get very spammy if everyone tries to have individual conversations there. General conversations do happen in Broadcast, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you're trying to talk to a specific person, it's usually better to do so in tells or Team chat. It's like making a phone call as opposed to shouting over the noise in a crowded bar.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Chat window is tiny tho
First thing I do in a new toon is enlarge the chat box; click & hold on the bar under the tabs then drag.

Second thing I do is move Help and LFG into their own tabs so they don't clutter up the main tab.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Second thing I do is move Help and LFG into their own tabs so they don't clutter up the main tab.
I should have mentioned customizing tabs, but my "quick" guide was already getting long-winded.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Thank you both. Balanced, that wasn't too long at all; I thought it was an excellent succinct explanation.

I tried to enlarge the chat box once (I remember having it larger back in the day) but moved on when it didn't work as expected.

I tried the little tiny buttons but didn't see one that said Tell or Reply so I just let it go. I did figure out that Space Bar would let me type and without anyone to really talk to that was fine; didn't realize the "slash letter" thing was part of this game too.

Thanks again.

Last night I played for about 80 minutes. Took me that long to do 2 missions and the last one ("Save Dr. Perry's work" I think) I failed at.

But I got about a level-and-a-half out of it, so hey, not a waste of time, right?

ETA: Are character GUI layouts/settings stored somewhere? I usually just find that file and copy/paste it into all my toons for these kinds of games.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-11-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
ETA: Are character GUI layouts/settings stored somewhere? I usually just find that file and copy/paste it into all my toons for these kinds of games.
You can save them to a file.

Menu->Options, "Save Options to File" button saves options.

/wdw_save saves your window config to a file. It should automatically be loaded on new characters. You may have to use /wdw_load to load it on other existing characters the first time you log back into them.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Maybe try a corrupter? I strongly suggest sticking to Blue side...it is very difficult to find teams on the Red side.....
Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
I am enjoying some of the new (i25) Blaster secondaries, but I wish there was a source of info outside the game to look at them and compare. They're explicitly not in Paragonwiki, which apparently has deliberately decided not to host any post-Sunset content.
This Reddit thread might help.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Blue side and red side? Blue = heroes, red = villains?

If I team up, it'll probably be with other Dopers.

Speaking of which, how do I add you guys as friends, and join C.E.C.I.L.?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and also, those things you get that can permanently boost your powers (at least until you level up enough to outgrow them)-- How do you use them? The tutorial was very clear on why I would want to use them, and on the fact that I can combine them to increase their effective level so they're usable longer, but never actually said how. I tried dragging the "Damage training" one onto my primary damage power, and that didn't work, nor did any of my mucking about with right-clicks.

EDIT: "Enhancements", that's what they were called.

Last edited by Chronos; 07-11-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, and also, those things you get that can permanently boost your powers (at least until you level up enough to outgrow them)-- How do you use them? The tutorial was very clear on why I would want to use them, and on the fact that I can combine them to increase their effective level so they're usable longer, but never actually said how. I tried dragging the "Damage training" one onto my primary damage power, and that didn't work, nor did any of my mucking about with right-clicks.

EDIT: "Enhancements", that's what they were called.
Click the word Enhancements in the Power window and then click Manage. That's where you load them into your powers.

The friend thing was on page two: I'll save you the clicking and scrolling: it's /gfriend @name.

I'm @bomage (of course). The ones I wrote down are @dangerosa, @balanced and @thermocline.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-11-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Hm, the others, it said "Sent global friend request to <so-and-so>, but it didn't say anything for /gfriend @bomage .
Old 07-11-2019, 11:00 PM

Well, I thought I was @bomage.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Do you guys want me to promote one of your toons to moderator so you can add your own alts?
Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

@skywatcher here.
Quote:
Blue side and red side? Blue = heroes, red = villains?
And Praetoria is yellow (I think).

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-12-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 AM

I’m @atama if you want to add me.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
Do you guys want me to promote one of your toons to moderator so you can add your own alts?
I can't speak to how Dopers should manage their group, but the SG of old frineds I am in on Excelsior routinely promotes a player's first character as high as we can, then leaves it to that player to /altinvite their alts. Not sure if you can promote your own alts while on a different character, though.

I am hors de combat at the moment -- City of Heroes is back, but my home computer is dark and cold after the storm two nights ago. It might be power surge damage -- it's plugged into a surge protector, which in turn is plugged into an outlet that gets power only when a wall switch is turned on. That switch wasn't on during the storm, so I assumed that the computer was safe, but I can't think of any other reason it should be defunct after the storm passes. Taking it tin for service / parts replacement tonight, but might have to go into withdrawal over the weekend.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

And, less than 10th level on my main, and I've already alted, because I thought of a joke I couldn't pass up. Nübermensch wears blue tights and briefs with a red cape, and a big red S on his chest... and he's a pistols blaster. See, he always wanted to be a hero, like his role model, but he was born on Earth, was never able to invent any reality-warping tech, radioactive wombats refused to bite him, and he never even got struck by lightning. So he just grabbed a couple of guns and some Spandex.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:46 PM

Could I request that whomever it was that set up the base add some more salvage storage racks? The three we have are all full up, and as far as I can tell I'm about the only person who is actively making use of them. I take out what I need and then try to deposit my excess salvage, which is invariably more items than I withdrew, so there's no room for it. I tried to add more myself, but it appears that Moderator rank doesn't allow base editing.

Sailboat: I was able to bump up all of my alts (bunch of them) from "Guest" to "Member", so that they could access the salvage racks. Didn't try promoting them any higher.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
And, less than 10th level on my main, and I've already alted, because I thought of a joke I couldn't pass up. Nübermensch wears blue tights and briefs with a red cape, and a big red S on his chest... and he's a pistols blaster. See, he always wanted to be a hero, like his role model, but he was born on Earth, was never able to invent any reality-warping tech, radioactive wombats refused to bite him, and he never even got struck by lightning. So he just grabbed a couple of guns and some Spandex.
I love that concept.

“Why are you dressed like Superman?”

“Because I can! Keep those hands where I can see them!”
Old 07-12-2019, 12:53 PM

My characters currently in the SG:

Flaminatrix (Main)
Roentgen Bull
White Orchid
Goldbar
Teardrops
Parabella
Savior Machine
Seahawk
Triple-N
Heartbeat of America
Old 07-12-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I approve of the punny name.

I haven't yet recreated Regular Joe, my lone tanker. He was just an ordinary guy with a couple of knives (though he managed to scavenge a pair of mostly functional rocket boots while cleaning up after a supervillain battle). His backstory was a transcript of his FBSA interview for his hero license, in which the agent clearly thought he was nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik
Could I request that whomever it was that set up the base add some more salvage storage racks? The three we have are all full up, and as far as I can tell I'm about the only person who is actively making use of them. I take out what I need and then try to deposit my excess salvage, which is invariably more items than I withdrew, so there's no room for it. I tried to add more myself, but it appears that Moderator rank doesn't allow base editing.
I'll add some more storage next time I'm in there. You can also store salvage, recipes, and so forth in the auction house.