Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
I'm reading Falls the Shadow, by Sharon Kay Penman, the second in a series (the first was Here Be Dragons of historical fiction dealing with the royal families of Medieval Wales and England.

Very engaging and, I think, has at least the feel of historical accuracy.
I love Penman. She's working on a book now about Richard the Lionheart, picking up his story after the death of Henry II in her novel Devil's Brood.

It's been a slightly disappointing reading week. My latest Inspector Lynley mystery, A Traitor to Memory, was subpar. I read Blood Oath, by Christopher Farnsworth, and while the vampire was kind of interesting, I didn't care for the writing at all. I've started Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island, and it's cute enough, but this is my first Bryson and I'm finding it very putdownable.

However, I did like the second book in Ruth Downie's new mysery series set in Roman Britain, called Terra Incognita. These aren't quite as good as Lindsey Davis's Falco books, but I'm enjoying them.