Old 05-02-2019, 03:27 PM

Shag.

"There will be Persians to eat at Fred and Wilma's shag on Friday night."
Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

That's what I was thinking of! Thanks.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Any other Canadopers getting texts and e-mails purporting to be from CRA with notice of assessment and asking that you "please confirm your identity" by signing in? Scam. I've been getting several today.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Nope. But the CRA doesn't do text or email.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Nope. But the CRA doesn't do text or email.

It does send out an e-mail to tell you to check your personal CRA account. Then you have to log on through the CRA website.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

I got a text today with a link purporting to be my notice of assessment. A bit odd, given that I actually got my notice of assessment over a month ago.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Any other Canadopers getting texts and e-mails purporting to be from CRA with notice of assessment and asking that you "please confirm your identity" by signing in? Scam. I've been getting several today.
Yeah, I got one moments after I filed.

Hold the message, tap 'more', then forward to SPAM (7726) and you'll get a 20 cent credit.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM

How is everyone? Sorry I have not been around much, this has been a super rough year for my little family. At my new job and we have a big media event next week. I am not working at the Canadian Armed Forces Strategic Response Team for Sexual Misconduct (CSRT-SM). It is pretty interesting, but also kind of crazy. Next week is the latest StatsCan release. I am curious to see if it will make it onto the main page of the board, or just stay tucked in here at the Canadoper Pub.

Are we finally going to get summer now?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:15 PM

It was 23 and sunny on Sunday at the cool pool so we spent the day doing QA on several bottles of wine from Costco. The Kirkland Brunello de Montelcino with a plate of double creme Brie and baguette was particularly lovely. It's not quite summer yet as we haven't had the May long weekend snow yet but I'll take what I can get.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
How is everyone? Sorry I have not been around much, this has been a super rough year for my little family. At my new job and we have a big media event next week. I am not working at the Canadian Armed Forces Strategic Response Team for Sexual Misconduct (CSRT-SM). It is pretty interesting, but also kind of crazy. Next week is the latest StatsCan release. I am curious to see if it will make it onto the main page of the board, or just stay tucked in here at the Canadoper Pub.

Are we finally going to get summer now?
I know you meant "I am NOW working at the Canadian Armed Forces Strategic Response Team for Sexual Misconduct (CSRT-SM)."

Anyway, the weather looks OK in Ottawa this weekend. It's been a rainy spring. Those poor flooded people along the Ottawa River. I can't even imagine.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Those poor flooded people along the Ottawa River. I can't even imagine.
How are things going with the flooding? That story has pretty much dropped off our newscasts out here.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 PM

It's still pretty bad. The waters are finally receding, but there are a lot of homes and cottages that still have 1/3 to 1/2 of their dwelling under the water line: can you imagine?

A 400 Km stretch of the river has been closed to all but emergency crafts, and people who need to reach their property.

One of the bridges from Ontario to Quebec is to remain closed until August. It's been quite a spring, not to mention that some of these people were also affected by the tornadoes that blew through here last fall, AND a somewhat lesser flood in 2017.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Leaffan. Good to know that the water is receding, but it sounds like there will be a helluva lot of cleanup and other problems for a long time yet.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Thanks, Leaffan. Good to know that the water is receding, but it sounds like there will be a helluva lot of cleanup and other problems for a long time yet.
There was a news story of a couple who just recently moved back into their house after the 2017 flood.

And now this.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:13 AM

There has been a lot of flooding in western Québec recently. One casualty has been the Kipawa River's Broken Bridge (Vive la Kipawa Libre), which has gone missing.

If you happen to have it, please return it – no questions asked, for the national park wants it back and has closed the river until it is found.

150 cubic metres per second is atypical spring runoff level, and the highest that I have ever run much of the Kipawa was 357. Well, now the gage is 485, so it’s booming. The national park folks would prefer not to have to deal with paddlers being pinned on Broken Bridge, wherever it might be.

The Kipawa River was voted as one of the Seven Jewels of Québec in the CBC poll, so if you get the chance, spend some time paddling there – just not until Broken Bridge is found.

Here’s an overview of the river http://my.tbaytel.net/culpeper/KipawaRiverNotes.html
and here’s a vid I came across on the web of the white water in a typical spring https://youtu.be/FyVG3bE4_g0
Old 05-18-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Hmm. So we now have four provincial minority governments: BC, New Brunswick, PEI and N&L.

That’s the greatest number of minorities I can ever remember at once.

Seems like voters are not putting their trust in mainline parties.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Lost one of my friends yesterday. He and another kayaker went for a white water run. He got pinned in an undercut crevasse and rescue did not succeed. Hopefully a body recovery team will arrive tomorrow. This is horrific.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Hmm. So we now have four provincial minority governments: BC, New Brunswick, PEI and N&L.

That’s the greatest number of minorities I can ever remember at once.

Seems like voters are not putting their trust in mainline parties.
Hard to tell just what the election results mean, as the first past the post system can often disguise what people are thinking. For example, if memory serves (and I’m not betting that it does) Alberta sent very few Liberals to Ottawa during the Trudeau pere years. But about 25% of Albertans voted Liberal fairly consistently. Much depends on where the support is, e.g., spread evenly but thinly or concentrated in a riding. And given that we vote without knowing what everyone else is doing or how much our vote will matter, it’s hard to say what the broad outcomes mean.

Not saying you’re wrong or that pro-rep is the way to go, but it is hard to determine just what is going on from arithmetical results in which a single vote might result in a win for a candidate.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Lost one of my friends yesterday. He and another kayaker went for a white water run. He got pinned in an undercut crevasse and rescue did not succeed. Hopefully a body recovery team will arrive tomorrow. This is horrific.
Oh man. That is so sad.
Let's hope the recovery goes well.
Peace, Muffin.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

So sorry to hear it, Muffin. Peace be with you.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

Muffin, sad to hear the news. I hope the recovery goes well. Thoughts and prayers to your friend's family and friends. And you, buddy.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your friend, Muffin. I once got caught swimming the Nanaimo river in a gorge and pulled under a rock face overhang under the water. Had to extremely exert myself to escape. Scariest moment of my life.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:41 AM

Thanks guys. Very glad you made it out, Dutchman.

His body has been recovered by some of our kayaking group and an OPP team flown in from the other end of the province, with coordination through another of our group who is a police officer in communications.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:52 AM

<3
Old 05-21-2019, 10:16 AM

Sorry to hear about this, Muffin. I know someone that was part of the RCMP divers and they don't get nearly the recognition they should. My condolences.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
That is horrific. I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:47 PM

I must admit, I don't follow basketball at all. However, I'm rather excited for the Raptors. It would be really something for a team based in Canada to take the championship.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Well, Leaffan, the Raptors won tonight. I don't know if they will be able to win the championship, but they have at least one game in the Win column.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Very glad you made it out, Dutchman
He made it out?...<user name, heh>
Old 06-18-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Is it just me, or is all of Toronto under construction?

I was in Toronto last weekend, and there was construction everywhere. Eglinton Avenue was ripped up for the new LRT. The 401 was under construction in various spots--lanes were shifted, Jersey barriers were erected, transfers were closed. Familiar landmarks were torn down ("Heck, I remember when they built that McDonald's"), and those that were not torn down were still under construction somehow (Fairview Mall's parking lot was only half its parking lot, owing to construction on something).

As a native Torontonian, I know my way around pretty well; but as a visitor in a rental car, the specifics of construction presented a challenge. Drive safely, Toronto!
Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 PM

A few years ago, my sister and took a while to find the house we grew up in Oakville.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 AM

Oh, it's not just TO. It's all part of the three seasons in Canada, Summer, Winter, and Construction.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I know construction projects take a lot of co-ordinating, and I am grateful to live in a city that actually *does* infrastructure maintenance, but it can't be *that* hard to co-ordinate enough so that every road into and out of a particular area isn't shut down for construction at the same time, is it? Lethbridge is notorious for this, but I encountered this in Calgary, too. One memorable Saturday afternoon, Dread Pirate Jimbo and I were trying to get somewhere, and we ran into five or six roadblocks trying to get there. Okay, fine, we'll just go home then. Happy?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:58 AM

Lethbridge Mini-Dopefest?

I will be in Lethbridge July 15-19, notetaking for an annual general meeting. Anyone local(ish) want to meet up for beverages and stimulating conversation?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Glasperlenspiel View Post
I will be in Lethbridge July 15-19, notetaking for an annual general meeting. Anyone local(ish) want to meet up for beverages and stimulating conversation?
Ah hell no. I lost my licence once because some guy with my name went drunk driving in Lethbridge.

I still have yet to visit Alberta.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd be up for it. How about you, Cat and Jimbo?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I would be interested; I assume Dread Pirate Jimbo would be as well, assuming the timing works out.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Ah hell no. I lost my licence once because some guy with my name went drunk driving in Lethbridge. <snip>
Also known as "driving" here.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I would be interested; I assume Dread Pirate Jimbo would be as well, assuming the timing works out.
How about you, Spoons?

I have checked the draft agenda for my meeting and Wednesday and Thursday evenings are free. Either of those good for everyone?

Last edited by Das Glasperlenspiel; 06-20-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Yep, I'd be interested. Thursday might be a little better for me, but I can manage a Wednesday if necessary. Let's see what Cat and Jimbo have to say.

Where are you coming in from, Das Glasperlenspiel?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Quote:
Yep, I'd be interested. Thursday might be a little better for me, but I can manage a Wednesday if necessary. Let's see what Cat and Jimbo have to say.

Where are you coming in from, Das Glasperlenspiel?
(Whispering). Um, errr, uh - Ottawa
Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
(Whispering). Um, errr, uh - Ottawa
Having met a few times I can vouch for this!
Old 06-21-2019, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Why don't you come out to Lethbridge too, Leaffan? The more Dopers at a Dopefest, the merrier!
Old 06-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Wednesday is better for us - I have a regular board game night on Thursdays, and Dread Pirate Jimbo plays baseball on Thursdays.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Okay, I can manage a Wednesday with enough warning. I guess suggested places would be up to us, Cat; but our could depend on Das Glasperlenspiel's mobility (car or not?) and hotel location and preferences.

Das Glasperlenspiel, any idea where you will be staying? If you've looked at what our city has to offer ahead of time, is there any place in Lethbridge you'd like to meet?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:27 AM

I haven't been to Alberta in a long time. It'd be nice to go back someday.

I was in Ottawa a couple weeks ago, and I enjoyed my time there even if I was sick.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Why don't you come out to Lethbridge too, Leaffan? The more Dopers at a Dopefest, the merrier!
Some day.

ETA: I haven't been to Alberta. I think PEI and Newfoundland/Labrador are the only other provinces I have not been to.

Last edited by Leaffan; 06-24-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

For me, it's PEI and Nunavut. The smallest and the biggest.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:58 PM

I think I have now made it to all except Newfoundland and Yukon.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 PM

Just to clarify, I've not been to any territories.