Old 10-05-2018, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Most critically, you can now build a cheap station on any planet, then summon the exocraft from anywhere on that planet. This changes them from "basically useless" to "how you get around."
Old 10-05-2018, 11:20 PM

Also, the new exocraft upgrades, and inventory increases make vehicle carbon mining the better method now, unless you have one hell of a Mining tool.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
Most critically, you can now build a cheap station on any planet, then summon the exocraft from anywhere on that planet. This changes them from "basically useless" to "how you get around."
While this does make exocraft more useful, it's still a little weird that you have to build something to do it. I really wish we could "store" exocraft in our spaceships, instead, and then summon them whenever we're near our ships.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
While this does make exocraft more useful, it's still a little weird that you have to build something to do it. I really wish we could "store" exocraft in our spaceships, instead, and then summon them whenever we're near our ships.
Yeah, I agree would be nice if you could store them on the spaceship, even if you had to give up a slot to do something like the teleporter. But yeah, they are a bit more useful. One cool thing is you can now purchase upgrades for them just like for your spaceship. You do that by going to your exocraft guy that you built in your base or wherever you built it and use use nanites same as your spaceship and multi-tool.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 10-29-2018, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

NMS is going underwater!

I wonder if my existing Beachfront Base can be extended underwater.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-29-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:49 PM

The new sea stuff is great. A total rewrite on the way the water bio mes exist and graphics, they are now much better than the land, instead of an after-thought.

The Initial abyss quest was a bit tedious. It told me to go to a location 10 minutes(by nomad) from the near landing spot I could find, but the over all content is a great addition,
Old 11-22-2018, 02:59 PM

Big update again this morning called "Visions". A bunch of land graphics improvements and additions, and some new rare types of things to search for.

https://www.nomanssky.com/visions-update/
Old 11-23-2018, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Hopefully with a corresponding patch soon -- it's been really buggy for me, particularly around waypoints "wandering around," appearing in space, etc. Nothing unplayable that I've noticed, but lots of cosmetic glitches.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
Hopefully with a corresponding patch soon -- it's been really buggy for me, particularly around waypoints "wandering around," appearing in space, etc. Nothing unplayable that I've noticed, but lots of cosmetic glitches.
OK, a few non-cosmetic ones, too. It's gotten really finicky about what counts as a "base" for purposes of hireling stations and the "base computer archives" quests. E.g. you can put a science station on your frigate, and the scientist will appear there, but talking to him only gets you a "they look eager to get started, you're sure they'll be at your base soon" type message. Similarly, it seems to pick ONE of your land bases for the base computer quests, and no other base computer will do. Destroying that base moves it to another one at random(?).

On the plus side, they seem to have fixed the disappearing wrecks, and at least some of the weird "can't transfer between inventories" bugs.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:38 PM

For all those like me who enjoyed the game, but drifted away, there is a big new(free) update coming out next week called "Beyond". One of the big additions is supposedly great VR. As I don't do VR that part doesn't excite me much, but they say there is also increased multiplayer content, and some improved terraforming options and results.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:16 PM

Thanks for the update--I didn't know about the VR features. I have an HTC Vive setup, so I'll report in on how it goes.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

The VR features are only like 1/3 of the update. The rest are going to add in or expand on the multi-player aspects of the game as well as add new content. Think No Man's Sky Next...that's what this one will be. I also read (this is more a rumor) that this will be the last free update DLC for the game, as, at least in theory, this should take the game to the point where they felt it should have been on launch.

I haven't followed this update as much as I did when Next was coming out, but I'll almost certainly fire up my game once it hits to check it out and see what's new. I know it's not going to be what I, personally am looking for in order to really bring me back into the game, but I have to admit that, at this point I've gotten my money's worth out of this one. I wish it could be more wrt having cool things to do and explore and do with a few friends and/or maybe some NPC followers, but the game has certainly come a long way.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:03 PM

Beyond has dropped.

The QoL improvements alone are astounding, number one (personally) being the relaxation on inventory, so you can carry more stuff! Also, you can move installed tech, choose which language to learn vocabulary from, and a host of expanded parts - more language, cooking, animal wrangling, base building (including real time mining while offline), and more aliens everywhere.

That's all on top of the multiplayer and VR improvements that were discussed.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

I'm giving it another week, then plan to jump back in. I'm actually pretty excited to see what they changed, especially since, supposedly, this is the last major DLC release. I hope that's not the case...hell, at this point, I've gotten my money out of it and I think they made up for the initial release cluster fuck, so I'd be willing to spend some on future DLCs, if they are good.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

AIUI, this is the last free DLC release.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-14-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:40 PM

I'm a bit surprised to see the patch is only 4.8 g, most devs need 5 to write a shoping list these days.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Couple of annoying bugs, My odd numbered vaults won't take power, and none of my vault storage in the Freighter are accessible. It's kinda cramping my style that I can't get to my mats to build stuff,

Last edited by wolfman; 08-14-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:23 AM

Tried the VR mode--it's pretty rough. Controllers are very jittery, and not very well documented in game. The frame rate (on a 1080) was low enough to give me a headache in short order, and I'm usually not that sensitive.

Tried the non-VR mode, went to the Nexus... where it crashed immediately.

I think I'm going to wait for version 2.0.1 or whatever. Hello Games seems to be aware of the crashiness. Eh, I'm patient. I'll give it another shot this weekend.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:01 PM

Tried VR last night. Moving on the ground is the standard point-to-point teleport that most VR games use. Turning was kind of coarse, making fighting animals a little hard, but I didn't look through configs to see if that can be changed. VR UI for stuff on the ground needs work. You basically get a flat view like you do in 2d, only it's not always clear how to do things like move materials to different inventories.

Flying the ship in VR mode was interesting. All the controls are virtual - you have to grab the joystick & throttle with your VR hands and control the ship that way.

Dogfighting pirates was actually pretty fun - right up to the point where the game stopped taking input from my controllers and I couldn't turn. Luckily, mouse and keyboard were still working, but I had to fumble for them while getting shot and only barely made my escape to a nearby planet's atmo.

Flying close to the ground seems like a great way to get to puke city, fast.