Old 07-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I tried to help out with the bins-overflowing problem, but as a lowly Guest, I can't.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 PM

I've forgotten so much about how to play this game... Tell me, is there a way to set a power to autoattack ? As in autofire any time it's ready ?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

As it happens, I still have my Prima guide from 2004. Assuming it's not been changed: CTRL+LMB is auto-fire.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 PM

I’ve never tried it but I read that if you hold the Ctrl key then click a power icon it will become auto-cast. But that only works on one at a time.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

And if you try to use a power when you can't (still on cooldown, out of range, line of sight blocked), then as soon as it can trigger, it will.

But again, it'll only have one power pending that way at a time.

One tactic I've found very effective is to hit a power button when my target is behind an obstacle, then pop out and back in to cover. This works especially well when I can pop out by jumping to see over something.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And if you try to use a power when you can't (still on cooldown, out of range, line of sight blocked), then as soon as it can trigger, it will.
Interruptible powers, such as a Blaster's/Corruptor's (primary) or Defender's (secondary) sniper shot, will not do that.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-12-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Office floor plans are as weird as ever.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:40 PM

Works ! Thanks, guys
Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 AM

I expanded base storage substantially, both for salvage and for inspirations.

Also, as a reminder, Brainiac created a Discord channel for us: https://discord.gg/yxRa4yj

If you have questions or need help, and no one is in-game to ask, that's a quicker way to reach other CECILians.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:25 PM

Thanks, Balance!

Are there weird permissions on the Inspiration racks? I was able to take an insp from one of the racks (closest to the door), but the one furthest from the door told me I didn't have adequate permission. This was on my Moderator-level character.

(I was getting to the end of soloing the New Praetorians story arc in Brickstown, which is extremely challenging, and was trying to pick up a couple of the big purple insps.)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I had forgotten about the Thorn tunnels; these are almost as bad as Oranbega.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I had forgotten about the Thorn tunnels; these are almost as bad as Oranbega.

And I had forgotten how much I really, positively hated the Tsoo. Especially those fuckers with the wind precision debuff. They're not just assholes, they're teleporting assholes.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I'm obviously way below yous guys' level-- The things that annoy me the most are the sprockets. Yeah, I've met plenty of things that are more dangerous, but sprockets just feel like they exist solely to interrupt you when you're trying to go someplace else and zap you in the back when you try to run past.

And what's the deal with the Scrappers? I've never seen them trying to mug anyone or sacrifice them to dark powers or anything, and I've never gotten any missions against them, but whenever I see some demon wannabes or death-worshipers or whatever beating up on them and try to intervene, they turn hostile on me, too. I mean, I guess that technically they're guilty of stealing manhole covers, but that's seriously small potatoes by Paragon City standards.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And what's the deal with the Scrappers? I've never seen them trying to mug anyone or sacrifice them to dark powers or anything, and I've never gotten any missions against them, but whenever I see some demon wannabes or death-worshipers or whatever beating up on them and try to intervene, they turn hostile on me, too. I mean, I guess that technically they're guilty of stealing manhole covers, but that's seriously small potatoes by Paragon City standards.
I'm not sure what you're referring to there. If you meant Scroungers, you'll be sent against them soon.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I'm obviously way below yous guys' level-- The things that annoy me the most are the sprockets. Yeah, I've met plenty of things that are more dangerous, but sprockets just feel like they exist solely to interrupt you when you're trying to go someplace else and zap you in the back when you try to run past.
I hate anything that zaps me. It seems like half my characters are fighting against themselves trying not to run out of Endurance, more than fighting the villains. Electric attacks sap that Endurance even faster. And yeah the drive-by zaps are a pain.

Quote:
Youíll tangle with the Lost later. Theyíre not so much evil themselves as they are homeless people mutated and exploited by evil masters whoíve driven them insane as theyíre given high tech weapons and super powers.

SPOILER:
You later help develop and distribute a cure.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Ugh, this is annoying. I have two different quests to kill Clockworks in Steel Canyon. Payback time, right? Except I can't find any Clockworks in Steel Canyon. I'm told that they're likely to be found on rooftops in Blye Square, except that none of the buildings in Blye Square have fire escapes or any other way of reaching the roofs, and I can't fly. I did manage to somehow get three of them to jump down and fight me, but that one spot where I was able to find them isn't re-spawning any, and I still need seven more.

Incidentally, I also figured out why I've been aggroing so many things. One of my powers is a slowing aura, and I've been keeping it active constantly, because why not? Apparently that's why not.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ugh, this is annoying. I have two different quests to kill Clockworks in Steel Canyon. Payback time, right? Except I can't find any Clockworks in Steel Canyon. I'm told that they're likely to be found on rooftops in Blye Square, except that none of the buildings in Blye Square have fire escapes or any other way of reaching the roofs, and I can't fly. I did manage to somehow get three of them to jump down and fight me, but that one spot where I was able to find them isn't re-spawning any, and I still need seven more.
I have some flyers who can help you pull aggro. Tarmonpesae recently came in from Praetoria.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 PM

You can choose Flight at level 4, Chronos. Just level up and grab it; it's really fun and a huge timesaver.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-14-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: a
Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Incidentally, I also figured out why I've been aggroing so many things. One of my powers is a slowing aura, and I've been keeping it active constantly, because why not? Apparently that's why not.
My Necromancy/Time MM has that problem. Then again, his zombies are attacking everything in sight anyway so, meh. (I know I can change their behavior but I donít feel like micromanaging that yet.)

Iím in Praetoria and itís funny when Iím casually chatting with a contact while my minions are devouring policemen a few yards away.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I know that I can grab flight. And there are a lot of frustrations that would be spared by it (it's almost as though this city was designed with flying people in mind). But this particular character doesn't have flight, because he doesn't.

EDIT: Oh, and when are folks typically online? I keep on logging in and checking the team roster, Offline, Offline, Offline, Offline, HEY, THERE'S SOMEONE IN STEEL CANYON! oh wait that's me, Offline, Offline.

Last edited by Chronos; 07-15-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 AM

I feel your pain. My first char was a superspeed scrapper for double the fucked. You'll hate Oranbega so much, brother .
(it's... kind of rage-inducing that they still hadn't/haven't corrected these problems 10 or 20 issues down my line :/)

Last edited by Kobal2; 07-15-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

My superspeed toon could also teleport. He moved faster than the eye could see!
Old 07-15-2019, 11:09 AM

If my guys canít fly or teleport I make sure they can jump.

Combat Jumping is awesome. Enough jumping power to get you around well enough, a minor defense boost built-in, and it has practically zero drain on Endurance. I think every one of my characters who might benefit from a jumping boost has it.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM

So I finally did the Summer Blockbuster thing on Kahbueme. Big fun, and I got some fancy ass enhancement thingy as the final reward. It's attuned, whatever that means, and apparently will level up with me. Can I get more of those by doing the event again, maybe after some period of time?

All my guys are at least 22 now, so it's probably time to make another alt. Hmmm....MM? Scrapper? 'troller? Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
If my guys can’t fly or teleport I make sure they can jump.

Combat Jumping is awesome. Enough jumping power to get you around well enough, a minor defense boost built-in, and it has practically zero drain on Endurance. I think every one of my characters who might benefit from a jumping boost has it.
I had a MA/SR Normal origin retired Green Beret who joined the Reserves to support the Rikti War. He used Super Jump as a stand-in for dropping by parachute.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-15-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Natural origin. Caught that too late.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:43 PM

For the vertically challenged, allow me to explain the ancient art of ledge-jumping, which I recently resurrected when I recreated Agoraphobic Man.

Find a building with windows. Face the building and line yourself up with a column of windows. Turn on Sprint. Jump, then hold forward while in the air, and you should land on the window ledge. Repeat the process until you can jump over the edge of the roof. (Some roofs have projecting edges that will keep you from jumping onto them, but you may still be able to peek over the edge and aggro things.)

This is how we got to high places before the travel power level restriction was lowered, and inherent Fitness has made it a little easier, but it may still take some practice to parkour around.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and when are folks typically online? I keep on logging in and checking the team roster, Offline, Offline, Offline, Offline, HEY, THERE'S SOMEONE IN STEEL CANYON! oh wait that's me, Offline, Offline.
I've been obsessing with something else lately, but if anyone wants backup or has questions, they can @ me on Discord. If I'm at the computer, I'll be happy to jump into CoH.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Huh, I thought that Discord was a voice-chat thing, which people obviously wouldn't leave on when they weren't using it.

I'll have to try the window-jumping thing. Even without any jump-related powers, jump height already seems ludicrously high: My scrawny guy with no strength-based powers can jump clear over semis. I've come to the conclusion that Paragon City is actually built on the Moon.

And speaking of origins, I've finally found a Science-based enhancement (after about half a dozen Tech, Magic, and/or Natural ones), and it doesn't work with any of the powers I have.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Huh, I thought that Discord was a voice-chat thing, which people obviously wouldn't leave on when they weren't using it.
Discord has both voice and text channels; I use it extensively, and seldom enter a voice channel. If we start doing task forces and raids as a group more often, we may use voice channels for that, but I never found voice necessary for CoH back in the day. Meanwhile, the text chat and alerts are a handy way to contact other players when they're not signed into the game.

If you put @[username] in one of the text channels, it will send an alert to that user if they don't have the alerts muted. You can also send direct messages to a user.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Itís more like a comprehensive chat/news center. You can do voice chat or leave short Twitter-like messages. Itís not as neat and tidy as a forum but it is useful for conversations.

Quote:
And speaking of origins, I've finally found a Science-based enhancement (after about half a dozen Tech, Magic, and/or Natural ones), and it doesn't work with any of the powers I have.
Try the auction house if you havenít yet. (Fastest way is to type /ah into the chat window.) You can search for enhancements there, and they are sorted by origin and stat. So if you want to boost damage, you look up Enhancements, Normal, Science origin, then Damage. Typically for each type youíll see two dual origin enhancement options (which NPC vendors also sell) and one single origin. The single origin gives a bigger boost (I think double) but is hard to find and often very expensive. My main has a Science origin and Iím constantly peeking at whatís on there. You also specify a level range, and I believe you can equip stuff up to 3 levels above your character level.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Before auction houses were added, we had to make do with stores. In Steel Canyon and Skyway City, the one you want to visit is Orion Labs.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:27 PM

I still use stores if the AH doesn’t have what I need. Stores aren’t great because they only have enhancements for levels that are factors of 5, and they usually cost more than what the AH has, but if they’re the only place that has the boost to fill your slot (heh) then it’s better than nothing.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Wait....the Auction House sells regular DO or SO enhancements? I thought they only handled inventions....maybe I've been wasting money....
Old 07-15-2019, 04:45 PM

Brainiac and I haven't been in much - he has tendonitis and his physical therapist has said "less mousing" And my gaming PC is in his office, so....

But Chronos, don't worry about teaming with someone with a higher or lower level. One of the WONDERFUL things about City of Heroes is that you'll sidekick up to a higher level mission (or they will Exemplar down if its yours.)
Old 07-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Is the auction house the same thing as Wentworth's Consignments? I haven't been worried enough about it to check yet, but if I happen to find something that I can use, that's different.

EDIT: Yeah, I know about Exemplars/Sidekicks. The barrier to team-ups with you'uns isn't our level difference; it's that we never seem to be on at the same time. I'm not big on teaming up with strangers-- The closest I've come is when I see someone tangling with something when I'm on my way past to somewhere else, I'll toss a few immobilizes their way, and likewise occasionally someone tosses some DPS onto something I'm fighting.

Last edited by Chronos; 07-15-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Heh. Pulled a Skull beating on a Hellion; Hellion remained right where he was, getting beat up by nobody.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, and I just saw a lady trying to pull her purse away from thin air. There was nobody I could target, but apparently my aura aggroed the nonexistant gangster enough for her to get away.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:23 AM

I was in a mission with my MM and my zombie henchmen kept beating up thin air. They really hated that air all right. Just kept wailing away at it.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I tried to help out with the bins-overflowing problem, but as a lowly Guest, I can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Are there weird permissions on the Inspiration racks? I was able to take an insp from one of the racks (closest to the door), but the one furthest from the door told me I didn't have adequate permission. This was on my Moderator-level character.
I've bumped a bunch of Guests up to Members and I adjusted the permissions so that anyone can donate and anyone not a Guest can pull things out. Take what you need!

I've tried to sort things so that most inspiration bins have medium insps, and one has large insps. Likewise, the salvage bins are mostly whites, with two having yellows.

By the way, if you have orange salvage or recipes you don't need, check their price on the auction house (type command /ah). I recently sold an orange pvp recipe for 3.5 million influence. Even the cheap ones sell for 100 thousand, which is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
For the vertically challenged, allow me to explain the ancient art of ledge-jumping, which I recently resurrected when I recreated Agoraphobic Man.
Ah, yes, the fun times of waiting until level 14 to get your travel power.

Quote:
I did manage to somehow get three of them to jump down and fight me, but that one spot where I was able to find them isn't re-spawning any, and I still need seven more.
Unless things have changed, CoH doesn't respawn when someone is nearby. You need to keep moving while patrolling.

Quote:
I'm on in bits and drabs a lot. If I expect to be on for more than a half hour, I usually ask if anyone in the supergroup wants to team up. For me duoing is the sweet spot of more fun than solo, but not as hectic as a bigger team.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

For what it's worth, I did find enough ground-level clockworks to finish that quest yesterday. Including one three levels above me that was spawn-camping me when I logged in. Thankfully only one: I can handle almost anything, if there's only one of them. Gravity powers seem to be really good at that.
Quote:
Unless things have changed, CoH doesn't respawn when someone is nearby. You need to keep moving while patrolling.
I'm not sure about that-- At the really low levels, I was struggling to kill things faster than they could re-spawn, close enough that they'd be in instant-aggro range.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure about that-- At the really low levels, I was struggling to kill things faster than they could re-spawn, close enough that they'd be in instant-aggro range.
I know for a fact itís not the case. I have to be careful where I idle because enemies will spawn right on top of me. And like you, on some of my characters I struggle to kill things faster than they respawn.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Speaking of respawns, I had Tarmonpesae do some street sweeping around Keyes Island to get the last few bars to 20. Had a few mobs not give me credit for taking them down, they simply got up again and ran back to their spawn point! Others I had been working on suddenly regenerated and ran back to their spawn point as well.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-16-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I know they added some areas that are more prone to that when they added some of the new low-level arcs, because those arcs have hunts for those specific mobs in a small area. I think both Hellions and Skulls have places in Atlas where they spawn faster than most low-level characters can clear them.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

In fact, it was Hellions in Atlas that were the specific example I was thinking of. I suppose it makes sense: When you've got a bunch of newbies on at once, all getting assigned one of a small number of newbie quests, you need to keep enough of a supply handy that they can all get their quotas in.

Quote:
Speaking of respawns, I had Tarmonpesae do some street sweeping around Keyes Island to get the last few bars to 20. Had a few mobs not give me credit for taking them down, they simply got up again and ran back to their spawn point! Others I had been working on suddenly regenerated and ran back to their spawn point as well.
Similarly, I was running a mission in Skyway when I ran into a Supa Troll. It was a reasonably tough fight, but I eventually got it down to about 10%... at which point it managed to break free of all of my immobilizes, run away, heal up, and come back with two more Supas, which was way more than I could handle. I assumed that he was part of the mission, and so put off going back there until I had several more levels, only to find that he was just a random encounter and I wasn't even getting XP for the real mission monsters.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
I know they added some areas that are more prone to that when they added some of the new low-level arcs, because those arcs have hunts for those specific mobs in a small area. I think both Hellions and Skulls have places in Atlas where they spawn faster than most low-level characters can clear them.
That might be it. Thinking back, itís the gang members that breed like rabbits. So maybe itís not the same everywhere with everything.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
In fact, it was Hellions in Atlas that were the specific example I was thinking of. I suppose it makes sense: When you've got a bunch of newbies on at once, all getting assigned one of a small number of newbie quests, you need to keep enough of a supply handy that they can all get their quotas in.

Similarly, I was running a mission in Skyway when I ran into a Supa Troll. It was a reasonably tough fight, but I eventually got it down to about 10%... at which point it managed to break free of all of my immobilizes, run away, heal up, and come back with two more Supas, which was way more than I could handle. I assumed that he was part of the mission, and so put off going back there until I had several more levels, only to find that he was just a random encounter and I wasn't even getting XP for the real mission monsters.
There are some missions that have ambushes as part of them. If someone who is level 20 gets ambushed in Kings Row, you'll have a bunch of way too high for most of the people hanging out there bad guys running through. Hopefully, the person whose mission is is around to clean up the ambush, but sometimes they take off. It seems to be something that has been more or less fixed - i.e. it happens less than it used to.

But sticking to the appropriate parts of town (the Vidiot maps are good for this) can keep running into mobs you can't handle to a minimum.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
There are some missions that have ambushes as part of them. If someone who is level 20 gets ambushed in Kings Row, you'll have a bunch of way too high for most of the people hanging out there bad guys running through. Hopefully, the person whose mission is is around to clean up the ambush, but sometimes they take off. It seems to be something that has been more or less fixed - i.e. it happens less than it used to.

But sticking to the appropriate parts of town (the Vidiot maps are good for this) can keep running into mobs you can't handle to a minimum.
One of the nice things to do back in the day was to hang out in Steel Canyon as a level 40 and clean up the level 30-plus 5th Column ambush groups that would spawn from some missions.

I obsessively hit Tab as I'm moving through areas, because I want to spot enemies that are way above my level before I get close enough for them to aggro on me.

A small quality of life tip: I bind the tilde key (`) to target the nearest enemy, and then use that in fights to make sure that I'm hitting nearby enemies rather than semi-random ones when selecting targets. To do this, open up the chat window and type in:

/bind tilde "target_enemy_near"

You can also create a bind that swaps between Sprint and Fly, so that you can turn off Sprint while you're flying. I use F for that.

/bind F "powexec_name Fly$$powexec_name Sprint"

I am very sad that I'm not playing right now. And even more sad that I'm going to be traveling for four weeks with no access. But when I get back in mid-August, you'll see me online!
Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4 View Post
A small quality of life tip: I bind the tilde key (`) to target the nearest enemy, and then use that in fights to make sure that I'm hitting nearby enemies rather than semi-random ones when selecting targets. To do this, open up the chat window and type in:

/bind tilde "target_enemy_near"
You can use target binds to search for pretty much anything, in fact. I reassign the R key (since I hate accidentally going into autorun) as a general search key, then change the bind to whatever I'm looking for.

/bind r "targetcustomnext base"
This will cycle through enemies, allies, glowies, doors, all sorts of things. It's handy if you don't know the name of what you're looking for.

/bind r "targetcustomnext Lead alive"
This will cycle through everything with "Lead" in its name--which is to say, Outcast bosses. You can swap in other strings depending on what mobs you're hunting, like "Sorcerer" or "Damned".

/bind r "targetcustomnext enemy alive$$targetcustomnext Quantum alive"$$"targetcustomnext Void alive"
The Kheldians' best friend, this setup targets the Quantum Gunners and Void Slayers. When you chain the commands like this, they prioritize the last first, so this one will find Voids first. If there are no Voids, it will find Quantums, and if there are none of those, it will settle down and target regular enemies.

/bind r "targetcustomnext Chest"
This one targets anything with "Chest" in the name. It's great for finding glowies in big open maps, like the Wheel of Destruction finale and many of the Portal Corps missions. Once you find the first of whatever you're looking for, you know what name to look for, and you can customize the command for the mission.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Don't glowies show up on the minimap? I'm sure I've found a few that way. But it is cool to know that you can put that sort of scripting in keybinds, and I'll probably find some use for that.

Oh, another question: Do slow effects stack? As a Time controller, I have a single-target slow, and also a toggleable slow aura. Is there any point to using the former on something already affected by the latter? I'm curious about both the speed reduction itself, and the increased susceptibility to Immobilize powers.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't glowies show up on the minimap?
Typically only the very last one. There are exceptions, such as where bombs need to be placed.