Old 08-09-2019, 12:18 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

They are Billions Campaign...anyone playing/played through?

I'm on my second play through of the campaign. Finished the first play through at 100% and it was pretty fun and fairly easy. I think the final map was the worst...took me something like 7 tries to finally win it. I'm about halfway through the second play through at 200% this time, and it's been a bit tougher. Still having a blast though. Anyone else playing it or played through? What are your thoughts? If anyone is interested in it, feel free to post questions. Also, speculation on what the next campaign DLC might have in it and when you think it might drop.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 08-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm playing it. Except I never played it in early access and I suck, so after I failed Narrow Pass three times I gave up for a few days and then restarted at 50% difficulty. Now I've just gotten to the level 3 missions and I'm finding them too easy, so I'll probably turn things back up.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Sith Mod

I'm about half way through the campaign. Really enjoying it, especially the fact that not every map is a "defend against waves of undead" thing, the way survival mode was in early access. Kind of cool to occasionally be able to build a big colony without having to worry about more than the zombies that are on the map at the beginning.

I'm a little disappointed in the hero missions. I love the idea, but I think they could have done a lot more with it. Giving your general a squad of soldiers to accompany him would have been a good start.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:29 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Some of they do have you pick up soldiers along the way. In fact, if you actually get some of the various units it can be like the easy button on a hero mission. I agree, they could have done more. The most disappointing thing for me is the horde missions where you have to get through a horde just to get a new mission. Those are almost uniformly sucky...either you are in a position where you just have to wait for the horde to grind through your defenses to the end or you get overwhelmed by stuff like 20 giants that is, basically, a bitch where you have to constantly micromanage units to try and keep out of their way while making sure they don't get bored and go for your little watch tower thingy. And you don't even get anything for doing them except access to another map.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
I'm playing it. Except I never played it in early access and I suck, so after I failed Narrow Pass three times I gave up for a few days and then restarted at 50% difficulty. Now I've just gotten to the level 3 missions and I'm finding them too easy, so I'll probably turn things back up.
Every map has a trick to it. Same with the hero missions. Though random chance also plays a huge role. If you get raided at a bad time, game is over. Miss a zombie? Game is over. Get hit where you least are defended? Game over. I played quite a bit in the early access, plus I love playing some of the created maps you can get on Steam Workshop, so I was pretty familiar with that part of the game. The hero missions definitely take some getting used too. I had the two gun girl the first time, and I have the slow, powerful tank guy this time. And they play completely differently, to the point I've lost a few missions because I'm still thinking in terms of how the girl works (low hit points, fast, stealthy) and not using the guys strengths.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Some of they do have you pick up soldiers along the way.
Yeah, I know - it bugs me that they wouldn't send a bunch of guys with their general at the beginning of each mission. Just, like, four soldiers or something. Make it something you can buy as an upgrade, even.

After the first three or so, the horde missions have been incredibly easy for me. I've got so much stored up Imperial Favor (or whatever they call it) that there's almost no challenge. But I'm playing on Easy mode, because I kind of suck at RTS in general.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Yeah, I know - it bugs me that they wouldn't send a bunch of guys with their general at the beginning of each mission. Just, like, four soldiers or something. Make it something you can buy as an upgrade, even.

After the first three or so, the horde missions have been incredibly easy for me. I've got so much stored up Imperial Favor (or whatever they call it) that there's almost no challenge. But I'm playing on Easy mode, because I kind of suck at RTS in general.
The only challenging horde mission is the one with the boat load of giants. I ended up just trying to kite them around, but managing them is pretty tough as they take a lot to kill. It's definitely one that I had to do multiple times before I finally got through them. And I think one of the last hero missions is beyond that, so you have to do it.

I wish they would let you equip a squad as well for the hero missions based on what tech you have researched. Though as they all have a trick to them, once you figure that out it's pretty easy, though a slog. I did like getting the mutant in the last one, though I didn't research that on my first play through so no idea how good they are on the campaign maps. Seems like they cost too much to be worth while...even more than titans or the flame thrower guys, both of which are fairly useful.