The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-21-2013, 04:21 PM

24 hours from Boise ID to Portand OR.

It was a stinkin' summer trip through southern hell [/David Bromberg]
Advertisements  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Reading about these experiences reminds me of those postwar film noirs that so often leave you with the impression that buses were the only means of intercity travel available. Characters are always meeting other characters "at the bus depot", or dropping them off, arguing with them, or tearfully saying farewell. You never see anyone take a train or a plane, or even drive their own car very much. I imagine that's how it was at the time--the passenger rail system was moribund and families at that time didn't have as many cars as they generally own these days. Usually only rich people ever flew.

Longest regularly scheduled bus ride I ever took was a Greyhound from L.A. to San Diego. This was back around 1979, during my college years. In those days there were only three trains daily and I'd just missed the last one. The bus trip probably took about four hours, because we stopped everywhere. For much of the ride we didn't even use the freeway. I've certainly taken longer bus rides, but they weren't on regularly scheduled carriers.

My shortest intercity bus ride was a Greyhound local from UCSD to Del Mar, where the local Amtrak station was at the time.

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 03-21-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 PM

When I was 4, my mother and brother and I visited my grandparents in Miami Beach, taking the Greyhound from Cleveland. This was before freeways, and the trip took 4 days in each direction. I don't know how my mother managed such a long trip, with two kids who were 7 and 4.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM

Was taking a 16 hour bus ride in Northern Areas of Pakistan once. Were trapped by a landslide. Couldn't go forward, couldn't turn around. Ended up being there for just under 24 hours, total trip time over 40 hours. Fortunately it didn't get too cold overnight.

Spooked by this, one of our group managed to get us seats on a Pakistan Air Force Fokker on the trip back. The plane just had benches along the sides. The flight through the mountains was so scary, we were all wishing we had taken the bus.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Speaking of bus travel in the late 1950s and 1960s, I have to admit that Greyhound's iconic Scenicruisers do look fairly comfortable, besides having a certain amount of design quality that was very au courant for the time.

The Scenicruiser was to the world of buses what the Lockheed Constellation was to the world of airplanes.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM

About 24 hous. Was actually more comfortable than most airplanes! Don't like the routes with frequent stops though.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:32 AM
Charter Member

16 hours: Port aux Basques, Newfoundland, to St. John's, Newfoundland.

i think Filbert and I are in the lead for longest bus trips that stayed in one state or province.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:56 AM

36 hours. France to Marrakech. I was the youngest and only foreigner on the bus.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:44 PM

8 hours, MSP to Chicago. Long enough for me. The train ride back was much nicer.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 PM

My trip from Chicago to Kansas City only takes ten and a half hours, but I take it all the time. Half the time I take it during the day and use the time for work, the rest of the time, I take the overnight bus, and via the miracle of zolpidem, I sleep through most of it.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 AM

Emily, as you said,
Quote:
The Green Tortoise sounds like it would've been fun, 48Willys.
The Green Tortice was a BLAST!!

I remember that trip with very fond memories. I always wanted to repete it or at least replicate it. However, life has unexpected twists and turns. I regret not Googling The Green Tortice earlier. I do have many relatives that need seeing, on the Washington, Oregon, and California coasts. I see a west coast road trip in the near future for my wife and I. This summer perhaps.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 AM

I took a Greyhound alone from Memphis to Reno, I think it was maybe two and a half days. Maybe a little less. I took the trip back via train and that was much more fun until the train caught fire outside Denver. Then I took the rest of the trip back by bus.

I was very young, only eighteen, and had never been further than a few miles from home. It was an amazing experience.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM

My longest bus trip was three days, from San Diego (I think) to Omaha, NE.

I was nine years old; my brother was four. I can only imagine how stressful it was for my mom, who was fleeing an abusive situation.

My clearest memory of it is arriving in Omaha and it being freezing cold! We weren't exactly dressed for it, either.

Would not want to take a bus trip again, particularly not alone.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Has to be the bus ride I would take from Atyrau ( Kazakhstan ) to the Tengiz Rotational Village. It is only 300km but because of poor roads it could take 8 hours. In the winter months the ride could take up to 11 hours.

Good times....

Last edited by DrumBum; 03-25-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM

About 5 hours which isn't all that long except the AC wasn't working; windows couldn't be opened; and it was over 90 degrees F and sunny outside. The driver had a small window and there were two pop-up vents/emergency exits on the roof for a little airflow. Miserable.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

About 12 hours, from Toronto to New York City. And back again, three days later.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 AM

18 hours. Yangon to Mandalay. Lonely Planet suggested getting there early so that you can catch a seat near the front of the bus where the ride as much more stable. So I got there an hour early and got a window seat two rows back of the driver. The only other westerners were a mom and daughter who unfortunately got seats behind the rear wheels. Once the bus was full, they filled up the center aisle with plastic stools and stuffed a bunch more people in.

Shortly after we departed, I pulled out an apple and cut into in with my brand new Swiss army knife. My hand got in the way and I started bleeding like a stuck pig. Interestingly enough, before I left, there was a tetanus vaccine shortage in the US so I did not have an up to date tetanus booster.

Now in 2001, the major north south highway in Myanmar was a dirt road. At one point in time it narrowed to one lane and we had to wait an hour until traffic cleared so we could proceed. About 1 in the morning we pull into the major stop on the way. It was a village with a sort of a restaurant.

The mom and daughter westerners were completely dying from motion sickness, and could not go on. So they bailed in this village that had enough electricity to power a string of low wattage Christmas tree lights. There was no hotel or anything. I hope they survived their ordeal.

9 hours later we arrive in Mandalay where upon I showed my gaping wound to the hostel owner and he promptly popped me onto the back of a scooter and sent me to the medical clinic. They walked me up to the front of the line and gave me a tetanus shot from what looked like a fresh hermetically sealed hypodermic needle. So, I was able to get the tetanus shot that was unavailable in the USA.