The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 AM

IME (in my experience) some people do this, and it usually means they're collecting their thoughts. But it can also mean they're shutting everything else out as they immerse themselves in, and dredge up, their own beliefs.
When their eyelids start to flutter, tho, I want to kick them in the nuts. (Man or woman.) Because it's like they're trying to block you out as they pontificate because they're so smart, and you're so stupid.
And when they're finally finished I want to kick them in the nuts again.
Even if they're right.

Last edited by Becky2844; 11-11-2011 at 02:13 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 11-24-2011, 10:06 AM

Talking with eyes closed

My sister does this all the time, and I think there's one more reason for it. It keeps you from noticing social cues. You can't tell if someone else wants to cut in if your eyes are closed, so you can just talk on and on. I do believe a lot of it is to keep her thoughts straight because, if you interrupt her, she'll totally forget what she was saying. Anyway, just wanted to add the social and power factor into it. She says she has no idea she's doing it. I think it's a bad habit that people should try to break themselves of. If someone talks to me with eyes closed, I get the feeling that I'm not important at all and they'd be just as happy talking to a cow.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Keeping my password unchanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
I'd consider that explanation if they were talking to me when they close their eyes, but sometimes they're talking to extremely attractive people.
But I'd like it if any girl/woman were to close her eyes for a moment, then open them and bat them. Bugs Bunny had a great eye-flutter when he was in drag.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary "Wombat" Robson View Post
[moderating]
2) There's no need to re-open a thread that's been dormant for a year and a half just to complain about something that's already been addressed.
[/moderating]
even a year later it still rings true.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 AM

Yes, I have an answer

I'm Buddhist and I close my eyes when meditating. It helps block out sensory input because it blocks the visual stimuli, which allows there to be less stimuli overall. So your mind can quiet a little easier, which helps with meditation training of your mind. Maybe when people do the eye closing thing before they say something it's to clear your mind for a sec and go inward. I suspect that people that do it a lot are probably in their heads a lot of the time and they purposely block out stimuli so they can focus on all their thoughts while avoiding the world's influence on their thoughts. In fact this is a pretty good generalization about British people in comparison iwth other cultures. I've known few Brits but based on the few I have known and their culture, their overall vibe is like a type One in the Enneagram personality type system. I think it's overall the eye closing thing is not a good habit to get into because it draws away from mindfulness. But on the rare occasion and if it feels right it can be used to bring light to a situation by having some balance of mind.

Last edited by indiashiningstar; 11-25-2011 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: oops sorry I thought this was a brand new post
Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 AM

Wait, I'm totally new here but I thought the list of forum questions was like brand new- Is someone reposting questions they already asked? That's f***ing lame! I thought I was providing some insight to someone that was confused about something. If you haven't found your answer adequately in all this time and you still want to talk about it after 2 years, you need to like get outside or something! You're like beating a dead horse with a dead fish while masturbating.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiashiningstar View Post
Wait, I'm totally new here but I thought the list of forum questions was like brand new- Is someone reposting questions they already asked? That's f***ing lame! I thought I was providing some insight to someone that was confused about something. If you haven't found your answer adequately in all this time and you still want to talk about it after 2 years, you need to like get outside or something! You're like beating a dead horse with a dead fish while masturbating.
[Moderating]

indiashiningstar, you might recognize there is a certain degree of irony to your post. Please calm down.

While we don't particularly encourage it, people are allowed to post to old threads in General Questions to add new information. This is not "reposting" the question; it merely brings it back onto the first page.

If you find it so distressing to respond to an old thread, I suggest that the best recourse to check the date of the first post of the thread.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 PM

OK thanks. I guess I just saw someone else's comment about it being reopened and misunderstood. I just happened to run across this message board doing a search for something online and thought it looked interesting, not your run of the mill hashing of the media worthy news items of the day. So even though I'm not experienced with online communication i'm giving it a go and hope it's a place where people really do help each other towards greater understanding about our world..
Old 01-25-2012, 07:05 PM

I talk with my eyes closed and it's pretty much involentary. I don't realize I'm doing it until someone mentions it. I'm actually really self concious about it to all you jerks who say its weird. It's not that I don't want to make eye contact and I think that I close my eyes to keep focus. I have a tendency to not be able to get my sentences out fully. It's not so much a stutter as that I'm trying really hard not to screw up. I actually thin it's more of a nervous reaction. My best friend said she's never noticed me talk with my eyes closed. But when I'm trying to impress someone or not do something stupid I keep my eyes closes to focus on my words.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:34 AM

Having been victimized by this particularly annoying move, I think most of the answers have been brought forth: smugness, condescension, purposely tuning out the other person's face to see that they want to reply, and a power gesture that states, 'what I have to tell is so important, I can't even keep my eyes open for it, it's so deep'. South Park did an episode that addressed this, called 'Smug Attack' - the main point of which was the moral superiority complex of hybrid drivers, but also tangentially affirming the annoyance of the closed-eyes speech. Couple of times I silently stepped sideways til I was off to their flank, just to startle them when they deigned to open their eyes again.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 AM

Talking with your eyes closed

This seems to be an American (or Anglo-Saxon ?) thing. I noticed it in the U.S. but never in continental Europe.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

According to the South Park episode "Smug Alert!" it's something people do after they buy a hybrid car, and it eventually leads to a fondness for smelling one's own farts.

ETA: Oops. Beaten to it.

Last edited by Vinyl Turnip; 01-31-2012 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Beaten to it.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 PM

I;, ttyimh tp syTY TJIS POt quth ny eyws c;osef

Translation: I'm trying to start this post with my eyes closed.

Doesn't work too well when typing. But I may do it when I speak. People do say I look away when I start speaking, maybe the same thing.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:48 AM

Yes....I'm a closet closed eye speaker......

A relative has pointed out to me that I close my eyes for an unnatural amount of time (several seconds) at certain times when I am speaking.

I specifically signed up to this site just to comment on and or receive feedback about the issue. I don't quite know why my .live account was banned, but that's a topic for another post.

I have found little collaborative exchange of comments regarding the subject until I found this site.

I have found that the term oculesics is the term for the study of the movement and behavior of the eyes and the non-verbal communication the eyes can convey.

Regretfully, I have asked friends whether I do this or not, and now everyone is pointing it out to me. I say regretfully because I really didn't expect to get so distracted by being told I unconsciously have the specific behaviour.

I have heard everything from it makes people think I'm not paying attention to them, that it makes people think I am lying, that it makes people think I am smug, to the fact that it is not normal.

I also have what are called hooded eyelids, and perhaps I'm really not closing them, but merely looking down, I do not know.

I have never been a very good liar, and anyone who knows me can tell if I am lying with an instant.

If I want to convey a smug attitude, I have a complete set of facial expressions specifically for that intent. I am very facially expressive and can pretty much be read like a book. I would not make a very good poker player.

I am a creative person and I honestly think it comes from me thinking about what to say and making sure I convey the point very accurately. It doesn't necessarily have to be serious subject matter either. I think in a 3-D creative way, and I have to funnel it down mentally into a linear way of thinking. It's really not that easy for me to do, but at the same time, it's not that hard but I sometimes have to concentrate to accomplish it.

I think it could also have to do with shutting out visual stimuli as well.

For me, and I think for many others, this particular habit has no negative connotation what-so-ever as to what the validity of what the person with the habit is saying, nor does it have anything to do with the manner in which the person is perceiving who he/she is talking to.

Last edited by ROCKWOOD; 07-04-2012 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: accidental omission of information.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 AM

When I'm talking with other people, I think I mostly do it when I'm trying to recall something. When I'm by myself, I tend to do it when I'm trying to recall something or when I'm trying to step through some code in my head (I'm a software developer).
Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 PM

When I visited the London Globe Theater back in '88 the tour guide would talk with his eyes closed half the time. It was actually pretty damn creepy.

For non-creepy people, I think when people close their eyes while talking they are thinking hard about what words to say. At least, that's how I do it, if I even do it. I'm not aware of actually ever doing it.

(Yes, I'm aware this thread has been zombie-fied multiple times but I figured what the hey...)

Last edited by buddha_david; 12-30-2012 at 05:55 PM..
Old 12-31-2012, 05:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
(Yes, I'm aware this thread has been zombie-fied multiple times but I figured what the hey...)
Hey, at least you're the first resurrector who isn't just a drive-by, posting in this thread alone, never to be heard from again.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
I'm curious about something.

I've noticed that a lot of people, when they talk, especially at the beginning of a sentence or for a significant pronouncement, will have their eyes closed as they speak.

Presumably there will be some Dopers who do it. I've seen it a lot in Brits, not so much in Americans, though I don't think it would be a cultural thing. I even have a friend who does it, but I haven't asked him about it, as it seems like a bit of a weird thing to bring up in conversation.

Anyways, I was wondering if there's any particular reason for it. If anyone here does it, why do you do it? Are you aware that you're doing it?

Is it completely involuntary, like a nervous tic? Is it a deliberate emphasis?

Hope someone here has some insight. Pun not intended.

Not sure why but girls do it more than guys and people that cannot remember some thing close eye .

And only time I close my eye is washing my hair .

Last edited by sweat209; 12-31-2012 at 06:03 PM..