Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Before I became a mod, I would always renew my membership a short(ish) time after the new year, either January or February. That way I never had to worry about forgetting about it or getting called out of town for work and missing the deadline or whatever.

The extra time just gets tacked on to the end of your current subscription whenever that is, so there's no real down side to renewing early. You'll end up with the same eventual expiration date whether you renew in January or May.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
I'm glad I saw this thread. As far as I can tell, I never got the reminder email thread. I've upped for another *4* years now.
And like others, I'm still getting reminders to re-up:

This one arrived on the 16th (several days after I renewed):

Straight Dope Message Board <webmaster@straightdope.com> via sendgrid.me
(my email addy)
Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:02 AM
Paid Subscription Expiry Notice
sendgrid.net
sendgrid.me
Standard (TLS) Learn more

Dear Mama Zappa,

Your access to the paid subscription "Straight Dope Board Charter Membership" is about to expire.

To renew this subscription you must visit http://tsdmb.avolatech.com/sdmb/payments.php

If you do not extend your subscription you will revert to Guest status. As a Guest you'll be shown banner advertising and will lose some of the privileges of your current membership status.

All the best,

Straight Dope Message Board
Old 05-20-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

I re-upped on May 5th. Got the email a few days ago that I was about to expire.

I replied with a copy of my paypal receipt (some info redacted). Hopefully I won't be kicked off the board for a mere paypal mistake. If I'm removed from the SDMB, I want to go out in a blaze of glory with angry Pit threads, snarling mods, etc.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:43 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

I let our admins know that the test site is still sending out renewal notices.

If anyone has a problem with their subscription resulting from any of this, please contact me and we'll get it straightened out for you.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Is anyone else just surprised how fast time goes by? When I go under User CP, it reminds me of when I first subscribed when the board went pay to post back in 2004!
Old 05-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Re-upped.

I've been a member for 17 years. Wow...

Esprix
Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
I let our admins know that the test site is still sending out renewal notices.

If anyone has a problem with their subscription resulting from any of this, please contact me and we'll get it straightened out for you.
Considering how protective many of us are regarding our Charter Member status, and considering the number of times various Admins and Mods have stated categorically that once your Charter Membership expires, even for a day or a few hours, and then you try to pay and get it back, you may not ever restore the Charter Member status, well....

... please have an Administrator come in here and without any hemming and hawwing or any subtlety state with clarity that anyone who can prove they have made their payment already, who continues to be sent renewal notices, will NOT be booted from the system by some "computer-generated error", and will be guaranteed that they will retain the member status they are paying for.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Aaaaand, here's my proof.

Via PayPal:

" May 15, 2017 08:41:48 EDT

You sent a payment of $14.95 USD to Chicago Reader, Inc.
(subscriptions@straightdope.com)

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
Merchant
Chicago Reader, Inc.
subscriptions@straightdope.com
312-222-6920
Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions.
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Straight Dope Board Charter Membership Subscription

Item# d788079a85bf83b9b973df5e28962dea
$14.95 USD
1 $14.95 USD
Subtotal $14.95 USD
Total $14.95 USD
Payment $14.95 USD
Payment sent to subscriptions@straightdope.com

Issues with this transaction?
You have 180 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Center.

Questions? Go to the Help Center at www.paypal.com/help.

RIGHT TO REFUND

You, the customer, are entitled to a refund of the money to be transmitted as a result of this agreement if PayPal does not forward the money received from you within 10 days of the date of its receipt, or does not give instructions committing an equivalent amount of money to the person designated by you within 10 days of the date of the receipt of the funds from you unless otherwise instructed by you.

If your instructions as to when the money shall be forwarded or transmitted are not complied with, and the money has not yet been forwarded or transmitted, you have a right to a refund of your money. If you want a refund, you may contact PayPal by calling toll-free 1-888-221-1161.

For assistance with matters regarding your PayPal account not identified above, please contact us toll free at 1-888-221-1161.

PayPal as the licensee is liable for non-delivery or delayed delivery of your funds. PayPal, Inc. is licensed to receive and transmit money under New York law.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click Help in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

You can receive plain text emails instead of HTML emails. To change your Notifications preferences, log in to your account, go to your Profile, and click My settings.

Copyright 1999-2017 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

PayPal PPX001066:423ce72cd74c7