Old 05-20-2017, 03:37 AM

For those who remember Combat!, Shecky Greene's comedy-relief character of Brockmeyer, who actually merited his own episode opposite superior officer Keenan Wynn, disappeared without a trace toward the end of the first season. IIRC, Shecky simply no longer wanted to work in series TV and went back to doing shows in Las Vegas.

The first Doc was also replaced with the Southerner Doc after two seasons.

We at least saw Billy, Littlejohn's young buddy, get wounded early in the series. The question of whether he died or was shipped back to the States was left open, though his empty bed in the field hospital strongly implied the former.

Last edited by terentii; 05-20-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Aunt Harriet in Batman. I guess calling her beloved is a stretch but she was an added female dynamic to the Bruce-Dick-Alfred group at Wayne Manor. Always oblivious to the goings on of the Dynamic Duo's never-ending fight against Gotham City's devious underbelly of crime.

Her role was reduced in season 3 because of Madge Blake's health.
Plus the budget for the third season was cut drastically. The main reason she was in the cast at all was so Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson would look less like gay lovers.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:30 AM

Gomer Pyle, USMC - Ted Bessel appeared in only one season as Private Frankie Lombardi and William Christopher appeared in two as Private Lester Hummel.

Both were solid characters, and both went away with - as far as I can tell - no further mention.

mmm
Old 05-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

In Beverly Cleary's Ramon the Pest, Mrs. Kemp mentions that Howie's older sister was sick. Well, she must have died, because in later books the only Kemp children are Howie and his younger sister Willa Jean.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Gomer Pyle, USMC - Ted Bessel appeared in only one season as Private Frankie Lombardi and William Christopher appeared in two as Private Lester Hummel.

Both were solid characters, and both went away with - as far as I can tell - no further mention.
Probably shipped out to Vietnam....
Old 05-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Gomer Pyle, USMC - Ted Bessel appeared in only one season as Private Frankie Lombardi...
Too bad he wasn't Donald Lombardi. Gomer could've done a pouty face like Marlo Thomas and said "Oh, Donaaaaaald..."
Old 05-21-2017, 09:58 PM

Space:1999

Professor Victor Bergman (Barry Morse) was the Spock of this mid-70s Sci-Fi show.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Bergman
All over the place in season 1, inexplicably absent season two.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Plus the budget for the third season was cut drastically. The main reason she was in the cast at all was so Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson would look less like gay lovers.
To be accurate, the character of Dick's Aunt Harriet originated in the comics. She was intended as a substitute for Alfred, who was missing and presumed dead in the storyline of that time. Aunt Harriet was carried over to the TV show, along with Alfred, where she picked up her last name of Cooper.

I don't know if this counts as being Chuck'ed, but Heather Young, who played Betty on Land of the Giants, was pregnant during the second season of the show. Her character was completely missing from several episodes with no mention made of her absence or an explanation such as, "She stayed behind on the Spindrift to stand watch," or, "She's standing guard at one of the outposts." Or even, "The giants got her." After the birth of her child, she returned to the show, as if she were never even missing.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
Space:1999

Professor Victor Bergman (Barry Morse) was the Spock of this mid-70s Sci-Fi show.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Bergman
All over the place in season 1, inexplicably absent season two.
From your cite< it seems that his absence was mentioned, then trimmed, from the first episode of the second season:
Quote:
The fate of Victor Bergman is alluded to in a trimmed scene from the second series opener "The Metamorph", when Tony Verdeschi notes 'I wish Bergman were here,' and then 'One lousy spacesuit with a faulty helmet and Victor had to be in it.' Sandra Benes would then have replied 'We can't bring him back, Tony.' This scene was filmed, but cut from the final print.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Another comic strip chuckee: Barney Google. Used to be, he was the headline character but now his appearances are about as rare as Cecil sightings here.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Another comic strip chuckee: Barney Google. Used to be, he was the headline character but now his appearances are about as rare as Cecil sightings here.
Wouldn't you know it, I say that and he was in yesterday's strip and will be there all week.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 PM

A half-Chuck example.

Maggie Simpson seems to be absent from a lot of episodes where she should be there, with no mention of day-care or even letting her run free in the back yard.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
A half-Chuck example.

Maggie Simpson seems to be absent from a lot of episodes where she should be there, with no mention of day-care or even letting her run free in the back yard.
She's probably serving week day prison dates for the attempted murder of Mr. Burns.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
She's probably serving week day prison dates for the attempted murder of Mr. Burns.
We know no prison can hold her!

cue Great Escape music...
Old 05-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Is this different from Mandyville? I guess the writing was on the wall, as CJ blocks her from going into a meeting in the Oval Office, but after that...she's just gone.

Ainsley Hayes was Mandyvilled too...although I think hers was closer to moving to Miami.
I felt they missed a big opportunity on the show. In the final episodes, when other past characters were reappearing, they should have had Moira Kelly back on the show - and have nobody make any special mention of it. Just act like she's been working there in the West Wing alongside the regular characters all these years but just happened to always be doing things in another room.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I felt they missed a big opportunity on the show. In the final episodes, when other past characters were reappearing, they should have had Moira Kelly back on the show - and have nobody make any special mention of it. Just act like she's been working there in the West Wing alongside the regular characters all these years but just happened to always be doing things in another room.
Maybe it's because there might have been some ill will between Kelly and the remaining people on The West Wing.

On a related note, the bottom really seemed to fall out of Moira Kelly's career once she was canned. Granted, there have a few guest shots and roles on TV shows less prominent than West Wing but for nearly a decade before that, she had lead roles in movies and always looked to be on the verge graduating to the A-List. Did she have a reputation for being difficult or piss off too many people in Hollywood?

Last FM Library Thing
Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 PM

I specifically remember Dr. Annie Cavanero on St. Elsewhere being Chucked (i.e. removed and never referred to again, unusual for that show) mainly because the actress refused to do an upcoming storyline where she experimented with lesbianism.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
the actress refused to do an upcoming storyline where she experimented with lesbianism.
rather childish and unprofessional of her.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
the actress refused to do an upcoming storyline where she experimented with lesbianism.
rather childish and unprofessional of her.
An actress on the soap "One Life to Live" quit because her character would have to be accepting of her son's nonexistent gayness. The son actually wasn't gay, but the show wanted his mother to think he was, and tell him it was all right. The actress refused to do it.'

They did replace her in-mid-story line with a new actress.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Maybe it's because there might have been some ill will between Kelly and the remaining people on The West Wing.

On a related note, the bottom really seemed to fall out of Moira Kelly's career once she was canned. Granted, there have a few guest shots and roles on TV shows less prominent than West Wing but for nearly a decade before that, she had lead roles in movies and always looked to be on the verge graduating to the A-List. Did she have a reputation for being difficult or piss off too many people in Hollywood?
Maybe you're heard something I haven't. I thought Kelly got dropped from the show because they couldn't find anything interesting to do with her character. Allison Janney ended up being the breakout actress. Bradley Whitford and Janel Moloney ended up having chemistry together so that killed off any potential for Kelly to play a love interest.

And Kelly doesn't seem to have done too badly. She did a movie the year after leaving The West Wing and then became a regular on One Tree Hill the year after that.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I specifically remember Dr. Annie Cavanero on St. Elsewhere being Chucked (i.e. removed and never referred to again, unusual for that show) mainly because the actress refused to do an upcoming storyline where she experimented with lesbianism.
A few years later, the character of Abby Michaels tentatively explored a lesbian relationship with C.J. Lamb on L.A. Law. Two episodes later Abby was made a partner in the law firm but then was never heard from or mentioned again.

I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.